The Tale Of 3 Tweeters

Comments

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Coming soon, Ultrafocus 8000 Headphone Brackets, specially designed for the user in mind, because your RDO/SL Tweeters deserve the very best...

Also coming later in the year, the one everybody has been waiting for, The highly anticipated MW Bracket that mounts directly to the top of your head using your favorite MW Driver from Polk, it will work in conjunction with the very popular Ultrafocus 8000 Headphones. Each bracket will come with a clip for the 5.8uf capacitor from Sonicap if the user decides to take these to the next level for the TL version (I highly recommend this mod)..

We are also working on the very first clip on Dreadnought, details coming soon..

Be prepared to shock your friends and family...

I wasn't aware Polk was making a Mind Woofer. Please tell me more. Does this cancel the sound from the headphones make them SDA or is it like a Sub Woofer for your brain?

Finally! Please tell me it will be a DreadnoughtTL using the voice coils from SL3000's.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited July 2018
    Oops. Wrong image
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    SoundMann1 wrote: »
    I am an inventor and engineer who has been involved with the audio industry for 40 years!

I am hardly a confused newbie!
    FestYboy wrote: »
    and also want to grab a pair of 198s.

That would be a downgrade to the tweeter series I like the least!

Not trying to sound negative, but wouldn't these two statements contradict each other from a scientific point of view? Especially if you haven't tried the RDO-198?

I have a pair of 2B's I purchased about 7 years ago, bone stock. I changed out the SL2000 for the RDO-198 as well as refreshing the crossover, including adding the 5.8 uf capacitor for the RDO-198.

The difference was far less than subtle.

Providing you have the original crossovers, I would strongly suggest you try the RDO-198 along with the proper 5.8 uf capacitor before you pass judgement.

Also, of you are still using the thermal polyswitch, you may want to try a .5 ohm resistor, sounds like the 12-watt .5 ohm Vishay Mills would be a good choice.

Sounds like you are prejudging something based solely on the fact it's from the same family of tweeters.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    maybe the OP should read the tweeter section or OK the WHOLE handbook.

http://www.vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf

it is a great read!!
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    maybe the OP should read the tweeter section or OK the WHOLE handbook.
    http://www.vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev2.pdf
    it is a great read!!

I was about to add there is a Rev3, but the pdf appears to be the identical. The link does work. I am not sure if there is a difference.

http://www.vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev3.pdf
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited July 2018

The RDO194/198 is a run-of-the-mill SEAS textile model.

A tweeter series that I am very familiar with, I assure you.

The 194 is not the same as the 198.

I dont understand how you can pass judgement on the RDO-198 when you havent heard it in your speaker.

This is a bit of a stretch but hypothetically speaking.... That's almost like saying someone isn't happy with the braking performance of a base vehicle with 6-piston Brembo brakes.

However the next model up has larger rotors, but the same person won't take it for a test drive because it has the same model of brakes and claims they are the same.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    "Set in their ways, even if their way is wrong." comes to mind.

And I am not sure why you are pooing on Seas...some of the best speakers in the world use Seas drivers.
    And Seas textile dome tweeters are some of the best fabric dome tweeters on earth right alongside folks like LPG, Hiqphon, Morel, etc.

In fact, the Seas Excel T25CF is flat out amazing.

Anyway, it is obvious Sound(s)mann(iacal)1 is in the VAST minority.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    No, the diamond tweeters in my Avalon Isis are!

That explains a lot, the top end of those will break glass. Only those who have lost most or all of their high frequency hearing buy them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The SL3000 is a tri-laminate, the SL2500 is not
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    No, the diamond tweeters in my Avalon Isis are!

That explains a lot, the top end of those will break glass. Only those who have lost most or all of their high frequency hearing buy them.

they peg the pretension meter, too.
    I have listened to some of the big Avalons, years back at the Analog Room in San Jose. They were OK -- impressive, but not my idea of great (FWIW).
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Mind blowing
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I read this thread in the bathroom. When I am done, it is much easier to flush, wash my hands and be done.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited July 2018
    Soundman
    If you ever sell those speakers please disclose your modifications and this thread
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Soundman
    If you ever sell those speakers please disclose your modifications and this thread

I would add the zobel capacitor before then.

Why if they are as wonderful as you say without it ?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Lighten up lightman, you're taking this audio thing too seriously.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    The SL3000 is a tri-laminate, the SL2500 is not

That is why I asked the questions: "What makes a TL speaker? Is it just the TL tweeter alone or is it a combination of tweeter and crossover?"

Very mysterious:

1. I have not seen a marketing brochure that referred to the SL2500 as a Tri-Laminate tweeter. Has anyone?

2. The 1990 marketing brochure for the 5th generation SRS SDA series raves about the SL3000 Tri-Laminate tweeter, and specifically says that the "TL" in the names of the SRS 1.2TL, SRS 2.3TL, and SRS 3.1TL specifically refers to the SL3000 Tri-Laminate tweeter.

3. The marketing brochure for the RTA TL series (RTA 15TL, RTA 11TL, and RTA 8TL) raves about the SL3000 Tri-Laminate tweeter used in the RTA 15TL and RTA 11TL, but says nothing about the SL2500 tweeter used in the RTA 8TL. Polk was obviously proud of its Tri-Laminate tweeter technology, so why the silent treatment about the SL2500 tweeter?

4. The Monitor Series 2 speakers use the SL2500 tweeter, but they are not referred to as "TL" speakers. If adding an SL2500 to the RTA 8T turned it into a TL speaker, why didn't adding an SL2500 to the Monitor Series 2 speakers turn them into TL speakers?

5. If the SL2500 is not a Tri-Laminate tweeter, what about the RTA 8TL makes it a TL series speaker?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pitdogg2
    The marketing brochure for the RTA TL series (RTA 15TL, RTA 11TL, and RTA 8TL) raves about the SL3000 Tri-Laminate tweeter used in the RTA 15TL and RTA 11TL, but says nothing about the SL2500 tweeter used in the RTA 8TL. Polk was obviously proud of its Tri-Laminate tweeter technology, so why the silent treatment about the SL2500 tweeter?

If the SL2500 is not a Tri-Laminate tweeter, what about the RTA 8TL makes it a TL series speaker?

All you have to do is to compare the 2 tweeters side-by-side to see that the diaphragms are indeed the same composite.

I surmise that the only real difference is the type of Ferrofluid they use.

You may be correct in that the diaphram in both are of the same "polyamide" type of material or they could be slightly different ? Once again metals were vapo-deposited onto that "polyamide" material, do we know if they were the same ? In the same amount or completely different metals ?

Great questions DK !
This discussion has been closed.