Magnifi Max SR Subwoofer Crackling

Options
124»

Comments

• Krock72
    Options
    Just purchased the manifi Max SR a couple weeks ago and noticed the popping noise from the sub woofer. It shows firmware 136. Looks like this has been a problem since 2018. what is the lates firmware. I have an magnifi mini which is awesome, the reason I bought this system.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I'll send your situation to a friend at Polk who is great at solving problems.
  • jontprice
    Options
    Krock72 - good luck finding out details on any firmware versions… Over the last week or so, I’ve asked support four times in a row in the same thread what the current fw version number & release date is and where I can look it up. I have provided all my info, registration, setup, etc., answered their questions about the problem (as if this thread didn’t exist) and they just keep ignoring the same question no matter how I phrase it. Super weird and there’s no svn or repo data anywhere on the web that I can find, it’s bizarre. You can use the google home app to get your current installed firmware version number (mine says v136, btw), but other than the history of posts in these customer-to-customer support threads when someone mentions their #, there’s no way to know if your # is current. The ultra-top secret mystery of what decade your version was released in is not something polk appears to want anyone to know. The two things I’ve been able to gather that may help your crackle annoyances are to move your sub around and re-pair to see if there was some interference / poor connection w/ the bar when it was in the location you actually wanted the sub to be placed in the room. The other possible fix is to upgrade/swap the hdmi cable out and try switching audio output format to plain old standard stereo. If either of those work, congrats - the sub sitting in the middle of the room that you keep tripping over doesn't crackle when that glorious stereo sound begins to fill the air. ;) See, you didn’t need that firmware info after all, case closed - Polk
  • Krock72
    Options
    Jontprice- thanks for the information, I will try your suggestions out this weekend
  • denzilrd
    denzilrd Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been touch with Polk since 2020. Replacements have same issue. I even moved houses during this time. Different routers, different rooms. The dropping of the sub, wireless rears, popping, crackling all comes back. Everytime I perform a rest, resync they work for an hour or so and sound great. But the problem always comes back. I was so happy to find an alternative to Bose but this system has poor reliability and it is just frustrating!!!
  • ExPolkFan
    Options
    I purchased a Polk Magnifi Max with surround and a subwoofer in January 2020. I noticed an crackling sound that was slightly perceptible and only occasional - but it sounded like a noise from outside my new condo and I ignored it. Two months later it began to annoy me and winter was over, so I searched outside for the odd noise, but I discovered it was the subwoofer. I tried to return it to Best Buy but I was too late and they determined the system was not defective.
    I complained to Polk on March 12, 2020 after Best Buy turned me away, but software patches didn’t resolve my subwoofer crackling problem. Polk should have sent me new hardware to replace the defective system that I purchased.
    Goodbye Polk.
    I have removed the Polk Magnifi Max, and replaced it with Samsung’s HW-Q950A, for almost triple the price. I don’t mind paying for high quality audio entertainment.
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It's a shame that back in 2017, this was a highly anticipated soundbar. It was plagued by problems with the software since the start, and for more than a year, I was one of (possibly) many, that worked with Polk to help determine if crackling, popping, disconnect issue and the like were addressed with numerous updates. It took the better part of 18 months for my Magnifi Max SR to stop acting up. It got to the point where every time the rear speakers "snapped," the dog would freak out, running away as if to avoid a burst of fireworks.

To this day, I still hear a digital warbling (gurgle) on low musical passages from the ARC output to the soundbar.

This model has been put through many attempts at correction, and here, now at almost 5 years of ownership, and 3 1/2 years of generally acceptable performance, I am offing this Polk model. It was never as good as it was supposed to be.
  • capulliam74
    Options
    Purchased a few days ago. Have this as part of my theater room hooked up via AUX 3.5 mm going to my Epson Projector. Was able to hook up Bluetooth but horrible volume and a high pitch sound in background. Now hooked up via AUX. Subwoofer rattled for about 5 min, I moved away from Eero Wi-Fi Pod and perfect ever since. Just hooked up wireless rears no weird sounds either. My 3rd Polk MagniFi system as I also have 2 Minis. I can’t believe that any of the issues people are experiencing would be firmware related. I could see potential hardware (just a bad sun) but more than likely something environmental. Too many variables with Wireless Signals, Bluetooth, etc. Try going old school with the analog and see if that fixes the issue. At least you can use it to eliminate potential issues easier and narrow down possible interference
  • mblakebiellier
    Options
    I have been battling Polk for years because of the popping noise in the surrounds. In the beginning they always told me to wait for an update. Then it gets past the warranty and they don't seem to want to help at all. I have saved every single complaint from every forum I can find. Including the complaints on here. It is now to the point where I feel the need to get a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit. If anyone is interested in teaming up with me on this. Find me on Facebook. My name is Blake Biellier.
  • summerguy
    summerguy Posts: 7
    Options
    I have been battling Polk for years because of the popping noise in the surrounds. In the beginning they always told me to wait for an update. Then it gets past the warranty and they don't seem to want to help at all. I have saved every single complaint from every forum I can find. Including the complaints on here. It is now to the point where I feel the need to get a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit. If anyone is interested in teaming up with me on this. Find me on Facebook. My name is Blake Biellier.

This is honestly the worse 1k I spent In my life.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Send an email message to: Kim.Jasper@masimo.com and explain your situation giving him your name, address, telephone number and the serial number of your soundbar. He will help resolve the issue.
  • J3FR0
    Options
    I recently added the SR1 Surrounds to my magnifi max system and to my disappointment the long awaited additions are basically unusable they do nothing but make a hoorible cackle popping noise that doesn't stop soooo upset

System firmware version: 136
    Cast firmware: 1.36.145853
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Hello,
    I'll forward this to a friend at Polk. I can suggest that the problem could be related to other wireless devices that might be near the soundbar. Can you try moving your router away from the soundbar as a test?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I believe someone has been in contact with you from Polk, is that correct?
  • markstamnl
    markstamnl Posts: 5
    edited February 16
    Options
    what was the outcome?