Magnifi Max SR Subwoofer Crackling

Comments

• MarioX
    MarioX Posts: 11
    I am waiting with hope for the next update. If it doesn't solve the problem I will have to divorce with Polk after my first and very short relationship
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    Contact Ken and ask to beta test v85.

"the good news is that Polk is going to be able to solve this problem via a firmware update which they are in beta testing. Anyone who is experiencing this kind of problem can contact me (Ken) via PM and I will work with Polk to solve the issue."
  • MarioX
    As I was told by Polk, beta 85 doesn't solve the problem unfortunately. (They work on other software)... I don't know what is going on but again, it looks for me more like hardware problem than software...
  • LeeSoFL
    Well, that is unfortunate since I'd found 85 to perform better, almost no chirp and only occasional pop. So naturally, last night, watching HBO Fahrenheit 451, both issues happened a few times during the two hours.

What solution would even be contemplated if it's hardware that's fugazy?
  • MarioX
    Already updated to 85. Unfortunately it didn't help. Here is short movie showing the problem.
    https://youtu.be/teNNn1qA5Xs
  • dangish
    dangish Posts: 23
    “Your cellphone could be causing interference” is going to be a response. However, I personally have had the sub making this sound not even near a wifi/cell antenna.
  • MarioX
    dangish wrote: »
    “Your cellphone could be causing interference” is going to be a response. However, I personally have had the sub making this sound not even near a wifi/cell antenna.

Definitely not! I had this noises even when all transmitting devices at home were switched off ( cell phone as well). It has nothing to do with cellphone.
  • kimin
    kimin Posts: 9
    MarioX wrote: »
    dangish wrote: »

Definitely not! I had this noises even when all transmitting devices at home were switched off ( cell phone as well). It has nothing to do with cellphone.

Totally agree.
  • packratguy
    packratguy Posts: 2
    After version #85 yesterday my subwoofer keeps stopping stays synced try syncing it again that doesnt help only way to fix it is keep power cycling it every so often any ideas i try factory reset few times even.
  • packratguy wrote: »
    After version #85 yesterday my subwoofer keeps stopping stays synced try syncing it again that doesnt help only way to fix it is keep power cycling it every so often any ideas i try factory reset few times even.

I, too, am experiencing a sync issue between the soundbar and the sub. It just loses connection after a while and the sub stops producing bass. The green light is on and solid behind both the bar & the sub.

If I pull the power cord out of the sub and insert it back in, then the sub begins producing bass right away.

Then after a while, it stops producing bass again.

I'm on firmware 85.
  • LeeSoFL
    Does your GH app have words about "help improve magnifimax" covering the software version your soundbar is running?
  • rpeatt
    rpeatt Posts: 6
    LeeSoFL wrote: »
    Does your GH app have words about "help improve magnifimax" covering the software version your soundbar is running?
    Yes mine does. iOS
  • LeeSoFL
    Ok thank you. Makes the app totally worthless, especially since Polk has got to be working on a better/newer version than 85, and we'd be unable to see if and when the update drops.

We are all being exceptionally patient (imho) and hope they come through soon.

From what I see, Crutchfield and Polk are not shipping them at this time. I'm pretty sure Polk is not happy about this ongoing problem with the snaps, crackles and pops.
  • MarioX
    edited May 2018
    We paid for fully operative product not for faulty one which has to be tested and updated again and again.Many other companies are honest enough to admit to mistake and offer some solution... I am sure that Polk knows exactly how technically fix the problem but most probably it requires significant costs - productin of new devices free of defects and replacement of all faulty devices for free ;)
  • LeeSoFL wrote: »
    Ok thank you. Makes the app totally worthless, especially since Polk has got to be working on a better/newer version than 85, and we'd be unable to see if and when the update drops.

We are all being exceptionally patient (imho) and hope they come through soon.

From what I see, Crutchfield and Polk are not shipping them at this time. I'm pretty sure Polk is not happy about this ongoing problem with the snaps, crackles and pops.

On my Galaxy S9+, I don't have that software issue.
  • LeeSoFL
    Yep, I think it's an iOS issue.

• blues
    blues Posts: 1
    I also have the same popping issue and then syncing issue on my Magnifi Max subwoofer so I took the time to call their customer support today. I spoke with a gentlemen that has received numerous calls about the same issue and he has already checked with tier 2 support. I thought I would share what I learned.

They were aware that version 79 firmware causes the popping issue so they rolled out version 85 to fix it. On my system without the surrounds, I can confirm that version 85 does fix the popping issue (almost 100%). However, version 85 inadvertently causes a syncing issue with the subwoofer. I can cycle the power on the subwoofer and it'll stay synced (at least for a song or 2) until I change the source of input. They are also very aware of the syncing issue of version 85 and he assured me that they are working very hard to correct it in the form of another firmware update. Which he believes should come within 2-3 weeks.
  • MarioX
    edited June 2018
    I returned my set to suplier and asked for monay back cause I know Polk is not able to fix the problem. polk service considered my complaint unfounded... "no defects found and the device does not differ technicaly from other devices". Finaly I got my mony but only thaks to suplier. Polk washes his hands. Definitely it was first and last Polk device I bought.
    Post edited by MarioX on
  • Laughter
    Laughter Posts: 1
    My Magnifi Max RS was bought last week and I also have problem with noises (random popping, crackling from subwoofer and sometimes from surround speakers). It's really annoying and I can't ignore it anymore. Is there any hope they will fix it with future update (my version is 79)? I don't want to wait few months for nothing.
  • LeeSoFL
    Was version 85 release to all owners? If it was then how would you get any future update if you're still on v79?
  • kevotman
    kevotman Posts: 2
    I feel like my rear speaker popping has gotten worse since the update. I no longer get the high pitched noise, but now just a lot of the deep pop noise. I've never had any issues with the subwoofer. My whole setup worked perfectly until I connected it to my Google Home app and updated it the first time. I wish I could revert it to factory setting firmware... Spent good money on these speakers and they've had nothing but problems.
  • jignaciovas
    jignaciovas Posts: 4
    edited June 2018
    Bought this soundbar yesterday. Wish i read this thread, i have the crackling from the subwoofer.i will return it but i will have to deal with the seller, there is no support in my country for this product
  • LeeSoFL
    Yesterday, I was told "v85 was a beta version and a release is in the works." I'm encouraged that the completed update will address the snap, crackle and pop issue.

jignaciovas: are you able to get the Google Home application, or a wire connection to the internet? Those are the only two ways (so far) to get software updates. There is a rear USB, which is designated as "service only," and could possibly be used to transfer software updates.
  • i connected the soundbar to my wifi using the google home app, but im unable to see in which firmware version i am. when i go into device configuration it shows me audio delay, if i want to send errors to polk, my timezone and location, but it doesnt show me firmware details.
  • LeeSoFL
    GH app > ≡ > Devices > speaker device card > ≡ > settings > device settings

I don't know if the app layout varies country to county.
  • LeeSoFL
    I'm told version 91 was released overnight 6/7. I can't see the update version on my iPhone because of that darned Google Home app snag. Listening tonight, hopefully the proof of the pudding...
  • kimin
    kimin Posts: 9
    Sad to say but V91 does not solve the snap, crackle and pop problem. At least to me...
  • somehow i still cant see what firmware version is my soundbar. maybe it varies per country?
  • MarioX
    Update can't solve the problem cause it is hardware issue... I just got my jbl bar 5.1 and have to say that Polk sounds better overall, only bass is much more powerful with jbl. Anyway Polk was unacceptable for me with all its noises from subwoofer and rear speakers. JBL has crystal sound and I am happy with it. Polk has to improve itself if want to be competitor for companies like jbl...
  • dangish
    dangish Posts: 23
    Have now heard the sub pop twice since updating to 85.