Respect

13»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I find that rather hard to believe but everytime that I think that I have seen it all...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    I have received some PM from members that refrain from posting their opinions because of the disrespectful way they feared being treated.

Whenever I see someone state what you have I don't believe them and find it rather tasteless.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Rick88 wrote: »
    This thread really should be closed and pinned to the top of the page before anybody else gets banned. Nothing else needs to be said that hasn't already...

Agreed
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Rick88 wrote: »
    This thread really should be closed and pinned to the top of the page before anybody else gets banned. Nothing else needs to be said that hasn't already...

Agreed

2nd.

And it shall be decreed!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    I had one of those conversations with DuB. Can't remember the specifics, as it was few weeks ago. Cable related, I think. One of the sentiments conveyed was along the lines of what he stated above. When things get heated, lines drawn, and sides starkly separated, I don't always feel comfortable publicly posting my opinion if my perspective is one opposing the established membership. Yes, out of concern for how it may affect my "relationships" and "standing" with a lot of the guys I've come to look up to and consider friends over my three-plus years on here, pretty much daily.

Maybe I shouldn't care as much as I do what anyone thinks - you're all just a bunch of faceless keystrokes and mouse clicks with ugly avatars - but I do.

Buncha dead horse beaters and crotchety old men. Get some fiber in your diets.

And then go cropdust people in the grocery.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    F1nut wrote: »
    I have received some PM from members that refrain from posting their opinions because of the disrespectful way they feared being treated.

Whenever I see someone state what you have I don't believe them and find it rather tasteless.

Ken Carter - Roger, Wilco.

F1 - What Ken is saying does apply to you as well as the rest of us. Look at what you wrote above. Then read back the words on your own avatar.

I think the great majority of us have some changes to make, if we are all going to keep using this forum. Let's start out fresh, and make this a more welcoming place. I'd really like to both continue to use it, and use it more, as I'm about as big a Polk fan as they get. The first step is recognizing it's not all someone else's fault, and owning up to our own part.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

"What'd you offend Jesse for?" "What'd you offend Jesse for?"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Kurt300 wrote: »

Ken Carter - Roger, Wilco.

F1 - What Ken is saying does apply to you as well as the rest of us. Look at what you wrote above. Then read back the words on your own avatar.

I think the great majority of us have some changes to make, if we are all going to keep using this forum. Let's start out fresh, and make this a more welcoming place. I'd really like to both continue to use it, and use it more, as I'm about as big a Polk fan as they get. The first step is recognizing it's not all someone else's fault, and owning up to our own part.

We all know you have a personal vendetta against me and here you are attacking me yet again. I suggest you read Ken's post a few more times.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    F1, from my perspective, I was attempting to make peace and gently reason with you, using your own words and chosen avatar. I see we have a long way to go.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Well said, halo.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    msg wrote: »
    I had one of those conversations with DuB. Can't remember the specifics, as it was few weeks ago. Cable related, I think. One of the sentiments conveyed was along the lines of what he stated above. When things get heated, lines drawn, and sides starkly separated, I don't always feel comfortable publicly posting my opinion if my perspective is one opposing the established membership. Yes, out of concern for how it may affect my "relationships" and "standing" with a lot of the guys I've come to look up to and consider friends over my three-plus years on here, pretty much daily.

Maybe I shouldn't care as much as I do what anyone thinks - you're all just a bunch of faceless keystrokes and mouse clicks with ugly avatars - but I do.

Buncha dead horse beaters and crotchety old men. Get some fiber in your diets.

And then go cropdust people in the grocery.

I know what your saying, and opinions will always vary with subjective things like audio, but here's the thing.....state the reasons why you believe what you do. What formed that opinion, and not because you read it on the internet. Most here don't care if you have a different opinion, as long as you can tell everyone why and how you came to your conclusions.

Which as you said, happens a lot in cable threads. Also happens a lot in digital threads with the bits are bits argument and 1's and 0's. Even amplifiers, they all sound the same, supposedly.

Audiophiles are a finicky bunch. Some are cemented in their beliefs while others carry a more open mindset. Most the time your not going to change that. Trial and error is an important tool to any budding audiophile and one most of us try and push. To get out of the house, off the couch, go listen to different things, try some yourself. We've always said Audio is played on many different levels, some can't comprehend the levels others play at, and that's ok. The problems arise when one level starts demonizing another, of which they have no experience in. In those cases, it's better to not participate in those discussions if the purpose is to poo-poo whatever it is. For instance, you'll hardly ever see myself participating in the DIY area of building crossovers, building dacs from scratch, etc. Not my thing, and I know zero about it. However, if I wanted to learn about it I would ask questions, not tell others all caps sound the same, save your coin and use xyz caps instead.

See what I'm saying ? Approach a subject matter, if you want to participate in the discussion, with a sense of inquiry, rather than an argumentative stance. You'll find your responses to be more informative.

I might also add, never be afraid to post a question or your thoughts on any subject matter. Even if it goes against the grain of thought. As long as you can also express how you came to those conclusions, you should find positive responses and suggestions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    People Audiophiles are a finicky bunch.

Most of the distasteful posts that have bothered me are the ones where a thread about music has gotten out of control and has become "personal".

We must know when to stop piling on.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I've visited every day since finding this place while in the hospital waiting for my son to be born in 2012. I posted about having a new boy, and at least 30 people replied back with congrats, etc.

That's what makes this forum special.

That, and the encouragement to buy new audio toys....
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Why hasn't this thread been closed @KenCustomerService?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Everyone, thank you for your insight.

These are the rules we are going to abide by for the time being.

Members new and old should not have to live in fear posting on the Forum. I have had numerous customers over the years tell me they would not go on the Forum or post on the Forum because they were afraid of backlash.

I cannot lose anymore customers to hotheadedness, bickering and bullying.

We all know how we are supposed to act toward each other. If we find ourselves in a situation that is escalating, take a minute and think about it before responding.

@afterburnt is right, members to PM other members and talk about how they are afraid to post. That shouldn't be the case and I am working to fix that.

If there are any outstanding vendettas out there, I suggest you clean it up now via PM so it does not spill over into the Forum for all to see.

Again, thank you everyone for their participation in the Forum, it has helped countless Polkies and non-Polkies alike over the years.

This thread will now be closed.
This discussion has been closed.