Joule Electra Preamp owners?

Options

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    This may be a deal. Would have to track the bidding.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222438651002?_trksid=p2471758.m4704
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I have a half eaten bag of Cheetos....

Probably has a hole in the bottom, wink, wink, nudge nudge

LMAO....a small hole at that.

Tell the missus I said "Hello" ;)

She said she never knew you were there....
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    What is the upgrade difference between LA100 and the 150? Anyone? Bueller?
  • kharp1
    Options
    Was it the addition of a phono stage?
  • kharp1
    Options
    I've read through that before and again tonight but didn't really glean the differences between the two. Sent Rich an email earlier.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    This may be a deal. Would have to track the bidding.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222438651002?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

That is a deal, but with 4 days left and 5 bidders so far....betcha it climbs to around 1k the last day of the auction.

As far as the differences go with the LA-150, I'm not quite sure myself as Judd was always tinkering around. Could be parts used, point to point wiring, I dunno, but what I do know is his circuit design pretty much stayed the same.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    The tubes are different. I believe the 150 uses the Russian tubes and there should be a separate power supply board
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mciuy8pxvpne.jpg
    Not trying to derail,, but here is a pic of mine,, it is the LA 100 Mk II version with the dual volume controls.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The LA-100 uses a single 5751 with a 6350 mu follower. The LA-150 uses all 6350's. The one in the auction has been changed from an LA-100 to a LA-150. IMO, they should have left it as an LA-100.

No Russian tubes were used in any of the pre amps, just the OTL amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    Options
    0yo47g6mk5zg.png

Gain tubes are Russian 6c45P1 and the 6H30PI for the MU for the regular 150

On the 150 A version I had they replaced the 6H30P and used the 6350

Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    a5f6ks57am55.png
  • george daniel
    Options
    My old LA 100 uses Two 13EM7's on two OA 2's in the power supply,,and two 5751's in the line stage
  • F1nut
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    0yo47g6mk5zg.png

Gain tubes are Russian 6c45P1 and the 6H30PI for the MU for the regular 150

On the 150 A version I had they replaced the 6H30P and used the 6350

You're right Brian. I forgot about that short lived version. It wasn't received well and Jud changed it quickly.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• erniejade
    Options
    The A and mkII are the ones to grab on the 150's for sure. And the phono pre sounded wonderful!
  • tonyb
    Options
    My old LA 100 uses Two 13EM7's on two OA 2's in the power supply,,and two 5751's in the line stage

Mine is the original la-100, also uses 2 5751's for both stages. I think he changed it to one 5751 and one 6350 in the LA-100 mk3.....I could be wrong though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    That's correct Tony.

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    Options
    Not sure I can see enough difference worth making a move. Could be wrong, wouldn't surprise me if I was.
  • george daniel
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Mine is the original la-100, also uses 2 5751's for both stages. I think he changed it to one 5751 and one 6350 in the LA-100 mk3.....I could be wrong though.

Tony,, what compliment of tubes are in the power supply section?
  • tonyb
    Options
    OA2 's and the other tubes are 6EM7's. I'm wondering why you have the 13EM7's but I recall reading somewhere that was an acceptable replacement.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • george daniel
    Options
    From what I understand Mr Barber built some that use the 13EM7,, I do not remember if it was in the earlier or later models
  • F1nut
    Options
    He used what was on hand, sometimes 13EM7 others 6EM7, but you can't just swap one for the other.

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    Options
    Right,, you had 13's in yours IIRC,, I will never forget that rig with the Manley and those stock 1C's,, good times!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Good times indeed, George.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    He used what was on hand, sometimes 13EM7 others 6EM7, but you can't just swap one for the other.

I was reading up on some reviews and came across a guy who did just that. Apparently he didn't think the 13EM7'S sounded as good as the 6's. Could be because the circuit wasn't designed for the 13's, I dunno.

Reading many reviews, I've discovered that if you stay within Judd's recommendations for each model, your going to be a happy camper. He didn't create pieces and told you to tube roll to your preferences like many others do. He designed circuits to work with a certain smaller variety of tubes that sounded best to his ears.

I like that approach, saves time and money rolling tubes and as we all know some pieces of tube gear have endless possibilities to roll. He included good NOS tubes with his pre's also, not junk leaving you additional costs by hunting up tubes yourself. Guy had a good ear for musicality that's for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • george daniel
    Options
    Yep,, Sylvania TMBP in the front and RCA in the back,,both 5751's,, Mr Barber made it easy!
  • tonyb
    Options
    Yep,, Sylvania TMBP in the front and RCA in the back,,both 5751's,, Mr Barber made it easy!

I have a pair of RCA 5751'S blackplates in there now, picked up some Sylvania 5751'S Blue tips to try out but haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyone familiar with that tube ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    I was reading up on some reviews and came across a guy who did just that. Apparently he didn't think the 13EM7'S sounded as good as the 6's. Could be because the circuit wasn't designed for the 13's, I dunno.

Some of the caps are different, so yeah it's not going to work.

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Except now your buying something voiced for someone else's ears. If you have the capability to tube roll, you should, just so you know in your own mind the "original" sound is the sound you prefer.

Some of us on here and in this thread, modify things all the time to get something more. Rolling tubes is just an easier way to see if you can get "something more". All tube gear is voiced with the tubes on hand. If there are alternatives out there I would see no reason not to atleast experiment with suitable alternative tubes.

Just my devils advocate .02c >:)

H9

P.s. I've never heard a tube gear owner state "not to roll tubes", that's part of the experience, especially when it can be done so easily and quickly..........ok, I'll shut up now o:)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    Options
    In Joule pre amps what comes with them is as good as it gets. Rolling tubes is a waste of time and money. I know from time and money.

President of Club Polk