Sneak Peek

Options

Comments

• D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    Options
    We did a lot of research into wood and simulated wood at these price points. We were able to develop an engineered solution that looks and even feels like real wood, but also allowed us to shift more BOM cost over to better drivers so the product out performs expectation. All of the competitors in this range are use poor quality vinyls. These guys slot in above the T-series, effectively replacing multiple other lines so we have a cleaner Good and Better story at retail. The line is quite large though, so some of the product will be at Best Buy, some of the line will be reserved for more HiFi specific shops.

On the American HiFi, our products are designed, engineered, and voiced in San Diego and Baltimore, which is more than I can say for a lot of other brands. They are produced in Asia, in the same region as all of our competitors. We do as much of the work in the US as possible and balance making the highest performing product we can at the best price we can. The amount of months put into designing, engineering, and voicing these is incredible.

I know most of you guys are more interested in LSiM or RTiA, or our more vintage products. Though I think it is important to keep you in the loop on all of our new products. As I mentioned in the SDA convo, I am starting to play with another line that would be directly in your sweet spot, so I'd love to know what makes a beautiful cabinet to you?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    So if you're saying that these are slotted above the "T" series, I can assume these are below the RTi A's?

Or is that one of the lines that's being replaced? It seems to be a stale line at this point...
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Michael, I appreciate your feedback to our feedback.

Speaking for myself I do appreciate the interaction lately. When the forum switched software, it really felt like Polk was intentionally trying to alienate us.

I have felt much more cared about lately which definitely re-affirms my loyalty to the brand.

I like the mention of replacing multiple lines, as I feel there is a whole lot of clutter currently offered in Polk's budget region.

Thanks again...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • D2Lo
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    So if you're saying that these are slotted above the "T" series, I can assume these are below the RTi A's?

You are correct. we are moving up the line... so you know what I'm thinking about next... :-)

• D2Lo
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Michael, I appreciate your feedback to our feedback.

Speaking for myself I do appreciate the interaction lately. When the forum switched software, it really felt like Polk was intentionally trying to alienate us.

I have felt much more cared about lately which definitely re-affirms my loyalty to the brand.

I like the mention of replacing multiple lines, as I feel there is a whole lot of clutter currently offered in Polk's budget region.

Thanks again...

Great, I'm glad you feel that way. A lot of us read the forums. I happen to be a little more chatty so I guess I'm the one who typically posts, but I like to read more than I write on here as well. I think the forum is really about you guys so we don't want to make it overly corporate. We don't always get the balance right so these seems a little better based on your feedback.

I agree with your perception on the line. Ideally I'd like to get us to a clean good/better/best strategy, it takes time. 4 years in we have a full T series at the entry slot packing a lot of performance bang for the buck. That line has been really well received and is doing quite well out there, hopefully making new audiophiles. Now Signature taking up the next slot north. You guys will get all the nitty gritty details on these next week after the CEDIA press release. I think you will impressed by them. I've A/B'd them next to everything in their price class and a lot of things above. Matt, Stu and the ARAD team (Advanced Acoustics Research And Development) put a lot of love into them.

On the cabinet, there ares one really nice details that you can't see in those S&V adds that I'm looking forward to showing off next week. It is a very black baffle, I think the grey you guys are getting form the scan of the S&V ad is in part the scan and in part the fact that the baffle is very matte, while the trim plate that surrounds all the drivers is a piano gloss black, so the contrasts is matte to gloss is making it seem grey in that image. Of course my team did the industrial design, so I'm biased of course! You will have to check them out in person.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    D2Lo wrote: »
    You are correct. we are moving up the line... so you know what I'm thinking about next... :-)

If you're planing a new RTi series, that would certainly get my attention!

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    As I mentioned in the SDA convo, I am starting to play with another line that would be directly in your sweet spot, so I'd love to know what makes a beautiful cabinet to you?

Aluminum with massive internal bracing.

http://magico.net/Marketing/Press_Releases/M3_PR_2016.pdf

But keep the price a little below $75K. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    As I mentioned in the SDA convo, I am starting to play with another line that would be directly in your sweet spot, so I'd love to know what makes a beautiful cabinet to you?

Aluminum with massive internal bracing.

http://magico.net/Marketing/Press_Releases/M3_PR_2016.pdf

But keep the price a little below $75K. :)

Gorgeous speakers!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• D2Lo
    Options
    Sorry for the typos above, was typing up a quick response in between meetings... and now it is too late to edit so I'm stuck with them!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Now you know how we feel about the stupid edit time restrictions.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Play nice, Jesse. They were sold "The Best Ever!" Software.
    But this DiTullo(?) guy...I like him.
  • haney
    Options
    Reminds me of the QAcoutics speakers.
    https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstanding-speakers.html
    Polk LSIM 703 - NAD C-390DD - Oppo BDP-103 - Samsung- 60 inch TV Shopping for Sub/Subs
  • haney
    Options
    Thank You ! Had a account from back in 2009, guess I lost it in the forum change.
    Polk LSIM 703 - NAD C-390DD - Oppo BDP-103 - Samsung- 60 inch TV Shopping for Sub/Subs
  • lightman1
    Options
    Haney.....welcome back.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Michael, to address your question as to what makes for a beautiful cabinet. That is going to vary widely. Personally, I love the look of the original SDA's with the wood end caps and cloth sides. I also like the look of many other speakers with nice veneers or a gloss piano black finish. I hate oak, horrible looking wood that is best burned in a fireplace.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    Options
    Fair enough. 1b has place in my heart
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Michael, to address your question as to what makes for a beautiful cabinet. That is going to vary widely. Personally, I love the look of the original SDA's with the wood end caps and cloth sides. I also like the look of many other speakers with nice veneers or a gloss piano black finish. I hate oak, horrible looking wood that is best burned in a fireplace.

I agree on the oak Jess. When it comes to cabinets, most want something that looks like a piece of furniture, that will also blend in with todays family/living rooms. Not many have dedicated listening rooms so speakers have to be presentable in a way to please women too. The RTIA's in that cherry was nice, and probably evident by how fast they sold out.

Look to some other manufacturers too like Salk, I also like Legacy's ribbon mahogany. Rounded edges are a plus too, those old monkey coffin designs won't please todays women in a living room.

Not a fan either of the older SDA's with wood tops and cloth sides. The cloth attracted too much dust and the tops encouraged people to place their drinks on it. Could be why you saw soo many with those water rings on the tops.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yep, the cherry on the RTiA's is a great choice of wood and that is the perfect color for cherry.

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Options
    I would also look to Totem for speakers that have a high WAF. They have several great looking options that put out great sound from smaller footprints and nice finish options.

It's also nice that with the Totems that I've heard (Arro, Hawk and Element Fire) and the Focal's that I own that they don't have to pulled WAY out from a wall to sound good.

A lot of us simply cannot pull speakers 3-5 feet from walls.
  • D2Lo
    Options
    I've been looking a lot into Walnuts and Mahogany as well. When we did the Woodbourne Airplay speaker I took a look through the Eames archive up in Petaluma CA to look at heir experiments with bent wood veneers in the 40s & 50's. Some really interesting stuff. They actually applied it to some speakers back then for themselves. The largest application came in super light weight but strong leg splints for the military in WWII.
    uejrm6aayrqj.jpeg
    cy6t9px2i4bc.jpg
    udvk54e9y2rm.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    The leather chair is rosewood. Both designs are attributed to Eames. Eames "Charles and Ray" designed and Herman Miller manufactured.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • sgtmick63
    Options
    I agree with DSkip. Maple with black would look great.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    I've always LOVE the original SDA's and especially when the guys would do the end caps in exotic woods. During the early part of my teaching career (early '90's), I carried two brochures at the bottom of my briefcase; Polk Audio and Legacy Audio. What Legacy was/is doing with wood is a work of art in my book. I know that SDA doesn't work in narrow cabinets, so I think to get them in living rooms, we need quality wood/veneers.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The first chair pic does appear to be a variety of rosewood. The next two are definitely walnut.

The thing with walnut, it's natural color is cold. A base color of yellow is required to warm it up.

That said, walnut, mahogany and cherry are a man's wood and therefore, great choices for speakers.

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Options
    That said, walnut, mahogany and cherry are a man's wood and therefore, great choices for speakers.

Would you say that you love a good man's wood?

You know, to sit on (chair)?

Grab one in your hand (custom pen)?

Do they still make a wood toothbrush?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »

Do they still make a wood toothbrush?
    To much steel wool on those brushes for my taste...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Here is an example from Legacy. I like the modern sleek look, still looks like a piece of furniture worthy of any living room .

yyf7ytyik9s5.jpg

Good speakers these days cost a good buck, even from Polk. When people spend a good buck on anything, they want it to look like they did, even if they didn't. I know Polk's targeted audience may not warrant, or limit, cabinet materials and design fluctuations, but also going too cheap makes them look like it too. Has to be a happy medium in there somewhere, much like you did with the cherry RTIA's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    8c9mxy3mo2m0.jpg

This is the Rosewood finish, first pic was Cabernet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    i4asqtsa1t28.jpg

This is an optional illuminated viewing window.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have always wondered, feasibility aside, why Polk doesn't step out from the crowded field of speaker makers and offer a type of build your own speaker thing. You buy packages with ranges of drivers and cabinet designs, colors, baffles, and have a workshop with trainee's that Polk hires supervised by an experienced speaker builder. Maybe even an interactive experience for local people. Order made to order speakers over the internet, or come down and take part in your speakers build. See how they are voiced, tweek them to your preferences. Maybe offer a few things not available on the mass marketed stuff, like custom finishes, upgraded drivers or crossover parts. That way, the customer knows he has a Polk speaker, but a special one tailored just for him.

This covers many aspects of business in one place. You get a more personal interaction with your customer base, driving that loyalty factor also. Your employee's get trained with hands on experience. Customer gets what he wants, at the price he wants, in the finish and colors he wants.

Yeah, I know....costs money. You know the old saying though....cost money to make money. In my view anyway, in a world of digital disconnect as I call it, people are jonesin' for a little personal attention. Putting a face to a name, shaking a hand....basic things that solidify human interaction, loyalty, and friendships. When you solidify those friendships, that consumer base, your future customers will come to you, you won't have to go looking for them.

Maybe not as feasible as I'd like it to be, but sure would make the brand stand out in the crowded field of speaker makers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's