Magico S5 Mk2 speakers

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    So how are they?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ^^^^^
    do you really have to ask? I put my money on the fact he likes them! just a hunch.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So how are they?
    Hi Joey, I was telling Bud earlier my system is disconnected at the moment until I can borrow a spare pair of hands to move my Vitus gear around to & re-arrange my racks. i'm hoping to get it setup sometime this w'end. My first impression is a visual one..I'm sure Magico have improved the M-coat paint finish as it has a deep, almost piano lustre & is completely flawless. It looks beautiful :).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited July 2016
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    do you really have to ask? I put my money on the fact he likes them! just a hunch.
    Right now, i'm just admiring the engineering which is something to behold. But the ultimate litmus test is yet to come B).
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    They are a beauties! I heard Magico playing with Solution Monoblocks in the Synergistic room at the Newport show. They sounds spectacular and probably one of the best sounding room at the show.

Don't you think the delivery guys forgot the white gloves?

Probably not necessary but if I have to nitpick, I would love to see a really nice binding post on these babies.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Joey_V
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    They are a beauties! I heard Magico playing with Solution Monoblocks in the Synergistic room at the Newport show. They sounds spectacular and probably one of the best sounding room at the show.

Probably not necessary but if I have to nitpick, I would love to see a really nice binding post on these babies.

I can see that... but I bet and I assume they're good and up to par as Alon Wolf would not allow cheapos. Maybe they just look unassuming.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They are a beauties! I heard Magico playing with Solution Monoblocks in the Synergistic room at the Newport show. They sounded spectacular and probably one of the best sounding room at the show.

Thanks Megasat :) They were running the S7's in the Magico/Soulution room at Newport this year which do have a similar sound to the S5 Mk2's. "Spectacular" is exactly the word i'd describe the loudspeakers which got me hooked on this crazy hobby 25 years ago; Infinity IRS-V's. I got to audition those incredible speakers back in 1991 in a Dealer's showroom. Ever since then, i've been searching for a pair of speakers which could approach the awesome bass, sound staging and imaging of the Infinitys in a more practical form factor. Has my search finally ended? We'll see..

I overlooked the white gloves while the delivery guys were handling my speakers as the shiny M-coat finish is already pretty slippery, so safety first. But when we do room setup, yes the white gloves will go on.

Echoing Joey's comment, i'd say the binding posts are as good as they need to be. There will always be some compromise in loudspeaker design, but the S5 Mk2 is a remarkable package for the money B).
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    The binding posts look the same as on the S5v1. I find them to be very secure with spades, and easy to tighten. Not sure if different material (cyro copper, etc) would improve the sound, but it might.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    They are a beauties! I heard Magico playing with Solution Monoblocks in the Synergistic room at the Newport show. They sounded spectacular and probably one of the best sounding room at the show.

Thanks Megasat :) They were running the S7's in the Magico/Soulution room at Newport this year which do have a similar sound to the S5 Mk2's. "Spectacular" is exactly the word i'd describe the loudspeakers which got me hooked on this crazy hobby 25 years ago; Infinity IRS-V's. I got to audition those incredible speakers back in 1991 in a Dealer's showroom. Ever since then, i've been searching for a pair of speakers which could approach the awesome bass, sound staging and imaging of the Infinitys in a more practical form factor. Has my search finally ended? We'll see..

I overlooked the white gloves while the delivery guys were handling my speakers as the shiny M-coat finish is already pretty slippery, so safety first. But when we do room setup, yes the white gloves will go on.

Echoing Joey's comment, i'd say the binding posts are as good as they need to be. There will always be some compromise in loudspeaker design, but the S5 Mk2 is a remarkable package for the money B).

So what happened with the white gloves thing again? I missed something
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    Congratulations those are beautiful looking speakers, I could only imagine how good they sound. I see they even come with locking casters to move them around before you spike them nice. I would love to hear a pair.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Congratulations those are beautiful looking speakers, I could only imagine how good they sound. I see they even come with locking casters to move them around before you spike them nice. I would love to hear a pair.

Steve,

My buddy Mike has a pair of the S5v1s and the S5v2s at his shop over in Urbandale. Let me know the next time you're over this way and we can hit up Audio Video Logic.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that Gud. I was really impressed by the immediacy and coherency of the S7's, and the S5 Mk2's even have an edge over the S7's in some areas (ie: newer M3 midrange driver, machined 3D convex top plate), so i'm expecting big things.

I was very impressed with how Magico shipped the speakers. The side of the crate simply folds down and becomes a ramp, allowing the speakers to be rolled out of the crate...a relief when you're handling 220lb speakers!

If your local Dealer can demonstrate the S5 Mk2's with either Vitus, Soulution, Pass or Absolare amps & a good front end, you'll be in for a treat.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the most awesome of them all?!..

z0q373000kax.jpg
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options

z0q373000kax.jpg

Really nice sheen in that pic! A very nice smooth finish accompanied with a top notch polishing job!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Something else to show dust. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Really nice sheen in that pic! A very nice smooth finish accompanied with a top notch polishing job!
    I agree. I previously owned the S5 Mk1's, however when I rolled the Mk2's inside, I was struck by how much nicer the M-coat paint finish looked compared to my old speakers. It is completely flawless. There is a deep lustre and slight speckle to the paint, and an almost piano-like finish which I love. Magico have improved every other area of the speaker, and it seems their paint shop haven't rested on their laurels either.

I used to lust after the special edition piano black Infinity Renaissance 90's way back when, but I can honestly say my pangs have now been satisfied; the paint finish on these speakers is equally stunning!

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I'll rub my goodies on them and you will get $689 more on resale.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Great selling point. Sounds good, smells bad. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    If you are interested in Magico then this is a great opportunity. They are sponsoring 20 AudioShark members for a tour August 27. They will even provide hotel and meals. I hope I don't get banned from AS for this, but join and take this great tour.

http://www.audioshark.org/magico-61/ultimate-magico-experience-audioshark-members-saturday-august-27-2016-a-10134.html

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options

z0q373000kax.jpg

Goodness
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    If you are interested in Magico then this is a great opportunity. They are sponsoring 20 AudioShark members for a tour August 27. They will even provide hotel and meals. I hope I don't get banned from AS for this, but join and take this great tour.

http://www.audioshark.org/magico-61/ultimate-magico-experience-audioshark-members-saturday-august-27-2016-a-10134.html

I would go, love to meet Mike as he and I have conversed many times.

That said, too much issues on the logistics side. Maybe next time
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I hope I don't get banned from AS for this, but join and take this great tour.
    I was banned for life on that forum for standing up to a troll. No reprieve or second chance. As far as i'm concerned that forum is a joke..

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Goodness
    Mucho goodness Joey B)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    S5 Mk2's in M-cast Pewter on demo at Chattelin Audio Systems in the Netherlands..

xue6js3y8idq.jpg
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,094
    Options
    Nice!
    Rock on . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Nice!
    Rock on . . .
    You said it Snoop!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    David, when are you going to listen to your S5v2 speakers? Or did I miss it? :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    David, when are you going to listen to your S5v2 speakers? Or did I miss it? :)
    I was also wondering that myself today Bud. My Dealer's wife recently had a baby, so I have to be patient to get his help re-arranging my racks & moving some gear before re-connecting my system. I'd get a friend to help, but there is a tweak I need him to do first. I sent him a gentle reminder today, but I understand family comes first o:).
  • Joey_V
    Options
    You haven't listened to them yet??
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You haven't listened to them yet??
    Afraid not brother :'(