Any 80's guitar players out there?

Options

Comments

• cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    Not an 80's player, but this is a good reason to showoff my early 2000 American series telecaster, alder body and maple neck, love this particular guitar has a great natural resonance and sounds a bit warmer that a traditional Tele. It has Lollar 52 pickups installed, which are a great match with the tweed deluxe amp I built 10 years ago... It's has been my mini rig ever since...

7n9pp6p69wk8.jpeg
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    SHA weeeet. telies don't get enough love ...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    Tele is such a great guitar!
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Have a friend who has a blonde 61 tele. he loves it.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I think Tele's are cool but not for me. As a metal player they make no sense.
    Even factory Strats make no sense.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    Gee, I didn't even know there was any other area's on the site, never mind one where we could yak about guitars !
    I've been a repaiman for 30 years now and a rabid buyer/seller.
    Over the years I'd bet there's been a few hundred guitars through my hands.
    Currently, I'm playing a 1963 Fender King acoustic, with the bolt on strat neck. (clay dots and everything)
    I also have a Musicman Silhouette and a Steinberger clone that I modded to take regular strings, by pulling the zero fret and cutting a shelf to mount a floyd locking nut.
    (no more double ball strings)
    Here's an old Hagstrom I just sold.

becemh175mx5.jpg
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    One of the stranger guitars that I've worked on.
    This was hand carved from a hunk of walnut by one of my custumers.

pk01ta6am2lt.jpg

• Mikey081057
    Options
    0jkgbpae2grp.jpg

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    One of the stranger guitars that I've worked on.
    This was hand carved from a hunk of walnut by one of my custumers.

pk01ta6am2lt.jpg

Cool! How did it play/sound? Was the neck set or standard Tele bolt-on? Interesting PUP types/placement.
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The rabbit was carved years ago and taken to another repairman before me for assembly.
    Unfortunately, he installed one of the crappiest whammy bars on it, which was made of cheap pot metal and that broke.
    The owner then carved another piece of walnut and filled the rout (very well I might ad) and we made it into a hardtail after this picture was taken.
    It had a Warmoth neck I believe and played quite well, although it was a heavy and unwieldly beast !
    Those Classic Vibe guitars by the way are awesome !
    Here's one of mine, well it was anyway.
    rsf0erw2wle8.jpg
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I think Tele's are cool but not for me. As a metal player they make no sense.
    Even factory Strats make no sense.

Maybe you need to drink more happy juice like Eddie to get your Tele metal on? B)
    (Yeah, I know, it's a Ripley with a bazillion mods)

od6yj8koz9tq.jpg
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    Didn't Jimmy play a tele on Stairway To Heaven?
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    Gee, I didn't even know there was any other area's on the site, never mind one where we could yak about guitars !
    I've been a repaiman for 30 years now and a rabid buyer/seller.
    Over the years I'd bet there's been a few hundred guitars through my hands.
    Currently, I'm playing a 1963 Fender King acoustic, with the bolt on strat neck. (clay dots and everything)
    I also have a Musicman Silhouette and a Steinberger clone that I modded to take regular strings, by pulling the zero fret and cutting a shelf to mount a floyd locking nut.
    (no more double ball strings)
    Here's an old Hagstrom I just sold.

becemh175mx5.jpg

Thanks for sharing with us, your passion for guitars, there's a few of us on the site. Loving the pics too. Haven't seen a Hagstrom in years.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    The solo on Stairway was the 1959 Tele...

• Mikey081057
    Options

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    Wow! What wonderful artistry. Never heard Andy play before. That's going to change.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    He is amazing....

• Polkaguy58
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've owned about 10 Hags over the years, some that I brought back from the dead and others that were mint.
    One of my favorites was a Swede that I added Gretsch Filtertrons and rings to, then a Bigsby.
    Somewhere I have a disc with about 250 pictures of some of my wilder pieces, like a clear Strat and 69 Ampeg Lucite guitar.
    I cry when I think how much those thing go for these days.....(heh heh)
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    I remember those clear Ampeg Lucite guitars, saw a used one backin '75 that was sweet. Those Hags were nice, didn't Ulvaeus play a Swede some?
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    A lot of famous folk played Hagstrom.
    I recently found an ad with Frank Zappa plugging them and of course Jimmy Hendrix used the 8 string bass on his studio recordings.
    I'm not a fan of the re-issues though.
    I have the Hagstrom ll bass and there's no neck like it for ease of playing.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    8755fpn4h0hv.jpg
    Grabbed a brand new right out of the box 2016 Charvel San Dimas HH HT in Snow White with White Pickups. They made some nice improvements over my 2013 San Dimas HS HT.
    First off the HH design is totally killer. The neck Pickup is a 59 and it's warm fat and clear as hell. I love the way it sounds. In my 2013 , I installed a Lil59 in the Neck position and it's close to the sound of the full size Humbucker but doesn't have the same fullness and warmth.
    The Bridge is totally better. It's a new design for a hard tail more like a Hip shot instead of a Fender like design. It's much better for Palm Muting and what nots.
    I could care less about the Single coil push pull of the volume control but if you want some Strat tones, it's got it. It's just like a tipical American Strat tone. Not for me but it's there IF I ever wanted it.
    The Tone knob is interesting as it feels like it magnetically locks itself into a no load position at 10. What it does is removes itself from the tone circuit and it sounds like you don't have a tone control. But if you want tone control again it's there.
    The Wheel for the Truss rod is a huge improvement over taking your damn neck off to adjust. I know when I do a full setup, I'm gonna love this.
    Overall I love this guitar.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Here is my pride and joy. A limited edition American Standard Telecaster. What distinguishes itself from most other Teles are the Sonic Blue Color, channel bound neck (maple neck has a channel routed into it, and a rosewood fretboard is inserted in the channel), and a compound radius neck. It, like all American Standard Teles since I believe 2012 have the Custom Shop Pickups and "belly cut" (may have come sooner). What a beautiful, great playing and sounding instrument. Certainly a much greater guitar than my limited playing ability probably warrants. But when I saw it I knew I just had to have it. It will be my heirloom instrument, the one that I'll never part with...

0wl810gfg1le.jpg

I must say, I've been teching guitars for over 30 years now and never saw one of those bound necks before.............But I like it !
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    That's the really cool thing about modern CadCam technology, you can custom carve out just about any intricate shape.
    I'm guessing that they eliminated the "Skunk Stripe" on the rear of the neck and just put the truss rod in the front way before inlaying the board.
    Nice jumbo frets too.
    I'm a big blues bender and love nice high frets.
    One thing I do for my customers is a custom fret polish.
    You can do this by taking a dremel tool and using one of those wide felt wheels that usually come with it.
    Put on the wheel and with the motor on it's slowest setting, run the center of the felt wheel along a fine, narrow, round metal rat taile file.
    This will make a groove in the wheel, that will run along your fret wires for polishing them.
    The next thing you want, is a small tube of Simichrome (yellow & red tube) chrome polish.
    Put a small dab of the polish paste on the end of a Q-Tip and wipe it
    across each fret lengthwise ( a little goes a long way), then, with the Dremel still on it's lowest setting, run the grooved wheel along the frets lenghtwise, back and forth about three times.
    Don't press too hard, or stay in one spot too long, or you'll heat up the fret.
    I've been doing this for years and can do it without much mess, but you might want to tape up in between the frets and along the sides of your neck first time out.
    This method makes your frets shine like a mirror and your strings glide across the frets for really smooth bends.
  • Polkaguy58
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's one...of the most impressively well built guitars I have ever held...UNK guitar handmade by Paul Unkert of Toms River NJ... Unk worked on my Les Paul custom and my 76 Strat back in the day... You know who he is but you might not know his name... He is a master luthier and was the man behind the EVH Frankensrtrat.... If you ever fin one of the made in NJ models... grab it there are only hundreds of them... he is the finest luthier I have ever seen...

unkA.jpg

Speaking of Frankenstrats, Here's one I built for a friend about 15 years ago. (he did the paint)
    He brought me a poster of Eddie's original and I replicated every scratch and even rubbed dirt into them to simulate road wear.
    It even has the 73 quarter for a Floyd rest.
    c9gq6jmp11yx.jpg
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Awesome...

• BlueMDPicker
    Options
    FrankenTele I built for my daughter. Body is from a 50th anniversary Squire, neck is a Mighty Mite Vintage V, PUPs are Lindey Fralin Blues Specials. Bridge, control plate, pick guard and jack plate are OEM vintage Fender. Went with American Standard modern tuners. She loves it (and it sounds/plays great) so mission accomplished. :)

zl8gc4tidkxo.jpeg
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    The next thing you want, is a small tube of Simichrome (yellow & red tube) chrome polish.
    Put a small dab of the polish paste on the end of a Q-Tip and wipe it
    across each fret lengthwise ( a little goes a long way), then, with the Dremel still on it's lowest setting, run the grooved wheel along the frets lenghtwise, back and forth about three times.
    Don't press too hard, or stay in one spot too long, or you'll heat up the fret.
    I've been doing this for years and can do it without much mess, but you might want to tape up in between the frets and along the sides of your neck first time out.
    This method makes your frets shine like a mirror and your strings glide across the frets for really smooth bends.

I'll give this a go. Thanks for the tip! Normally, I polish frets every time I change strings. I tape off with masking tape above and below a fret, then move the tape to the next (re-use). I started using 3M machine polish several decades ago. I think it's about 4000 grit. I use a dab on my index finger, which conforms to the fret profile nicely, and give each fret about 3 back/forth strokes, then wipe with a clean cotton cloth. You can't really rub too hard/too much or your finger would heat up. :o
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    Here's another cool blast from the past.
    This is Jay Mascis's famous "Purple Jazzmaster" that he brought to me after a house fire had blackened it pretty good.
    I had to take it apart completey and buff off all the soot, without wrecking the finish underneath.
    It came out nice (but still smelled smokey).
    Unfortunately, it got stolen on him shortly afterwards.
    I did get a picture though.8aftfhxmyx4j.jpg
  • Polkaguy58
    Options
    Those Chinese CV's are very nice.
    They really nailed the feel of an old Fender.
    That CV Duo-Sonic with the Bigsby that I posted was a dream to play.
    I'd totally planned to replace the pickups and electronics when I bought that for 250 dollars, but when I opened it up, there was grey fiberboard, alnico slug pickups in there !
    I just put some better CTS pots in and buttoned it right back up.
    Funny thing was, that some band had come into my place for quick setups on all of their instruments (the recording engineer insisted that they do it before laying down any further tracks) and the lead guitarist started fiddling with that CV duo while they waited.
    He said, and I quote: "Dude, I can't leave here without this axe" !
    I gave him a dollar figure that I figured he wouldn't accept, but he whipped out his wallet and bought the damn thing !