Feel the hate thread

1161718192022»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,480
    It snows quite often here. This will be the 4th "snow event" as they have taken to calling them lately, with measurable accumulation. I think the 8th overall since Winter officially started.

The difference is, and this is a friend from Minnesota telling me this, they get small storms dumping a few inches at a time but, the snow doesn't go away there until spring. So 3 or 4 snow falls with 3-4 inches adds up to a foot and a half but it came in small increments. It just doesn't go away between storms.

But here, when it snows like this, it's essentially a tropical storm that's getting pushed up the coast by a cold front hovering over a place like Montana or Minnesota which is making it snow, not rain. So a typical tropical storm here will dump 2-3 inches of water on us in one shot. The average conversion is 8-10 inches of snow per every inch of rain. So a storm that would normally dump 2.5-3 inches of rain turns into a storm that buries the Northeast in 20-30 inches of snow overnight. That's not something you can easily shovel out of and go to work in the morning. Granted, we get the majority of the area back up and running within 24 hours after the snow stops and that's an impressive feat for how monumental of a task it is but it's still debilitating and affects major economic areas of the country.

That said, though, I'm with you on why is it always a "SNOWPOCALYPSE" when it's typical Northeast winter weather here. It can be really dangerous but with how fast everything moves here on any given day, take some pleasure in the fact that getting buried under a couple feet of idiot dust forces it to slow down for a bit.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 8,698
    That's not something you can easily shovel out of and go to work in the morning

Would be if the East Coasters
    weren't prone to Woositis.
    As a general rule, more starch and fibre in the diet would help..👍 💪🏋️💪
    Sal Palooza
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,480
    Here, not to beat a dead horse or anything but I just saw this article pop up on Facebook about why the storms in the Northeast get to be so news-worthy:

https://www.livescience.com/bomb-cyclone-blizzards-northeast?fbclid=IwAR2hXBlaHzyCVX6CAXC8IbnJQD_sxrvaYDBvy6oIZrkwHVYOZaObmzposno&utm_campaign=socialflow

Currently, a gale warning was just issued for my area with potential gusts at the coast with hurricane force winds. Looks like the worst of the winds are going to be hitting Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 8,698
    vhvm4jfkpxrj.jpg

😳🤗
    Sal Palooza