Straight Outta Compton...

Options

Comments

• westmassguy
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Just being selective about what kind of vile stuff that I choose for entertainment

I used to drive by his shop several times a week.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    not big on rap, but I did like some Beastie Boys! "No Sleep till Brooklyn" & Sabotage" where great songs and Videos too.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Timothy Smith
    Options
    Were NWA the kind of rappers that hold their **** with their right hand, or their left hand?
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • Timothy Smith
    Options
    (nootsack)
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Was it NWA that had all the hate for the police or authority in general?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    that is endemic to the hood
  • afterburnt
    Options
    to be fair though there were some pretty **** cops in the hood
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Options
    I'd rather stay home and watch Curling.
    No excuses!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Curling? I think competitive ironing is a mor manly sport.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Curling? I think competitive ironing is a mor manly sport.

Yeah as long as it's her
    fvxe3lii7upk.jpg

and not him
    5emc4dedtlh5.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    Options
    to be fair though there were some pretty **** cops in the hood

however it is the dicks that you remember
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's an effin movies guys, wtf. Jurassic Park, how much did you know about genetics and dinosaurs? Tom Clancy movies, how much did you know about that? Any comedy movie, how much did you know that?

It's a movie, stop being so effin childish... Wow.

Halen

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am with you... These guys were thugs, criminals and a$$ ole's to boot.
    drumminman wrote: »
    I hate rap music and the culture that it spawned, so I won't be seeing this one. Yes I am curmudgeonly on this >:)
    WLDock wrote: »
    Yeah, the whole Gangsta' rap movement by the likes of NWA was a tough one to swallow.

I don't see gangsta rap as any worse than the scores of songs and movies, over many decades, glorifying and romanticizing the Mafia and other American organized crime figures. In fact, most of the prominent figures in gangsta rap style themselves after prominent American criminals and criminal organizations.

So, when you talk about "rap music and the culture that it spawned", be sure you go back to the "mother church" of "role models" like John Gotti, the Godfather trilogy, Al Capone, John Dillinger, Bugsy Siegel, Bonnie and Clyde, etc., etc. Speaking of Bonnie and Clyde, research the number of songs and poems that have been written about their "love story".

I don't doubt that many rappers, maybe most, are a$$holes, but the a$$hole label can be applied to most entertainers. Similar to most entertainers, most rappers are not the hard core thugs they portray themselves to be. The are just actors playing a role, just like the guys who act in gangster movies. Rick Ross portrayed himself as a drug cartel boss, but he actually is a former corrections officer who styled his rap persona after the incarcerated criminals he interviewed and after the real "Freeway" Rick Ross, who was once one of the nations biggest drug dealers.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    Options
    halenhoang wrote: »
    It's an effin movies guys, wtf. Jurassic Park, how much did you know about genetics and dinosaurs? Tom Clancy movies, how much did you know about that? Any comedy movie, how much did you know that?

Halen

Amen Halen.

Though movies in my day were a form of entertainment and taken as such. Today however, they are used to change perceptions and some take them as factual information.

I'd imagine if most movies didn't take liberties with facts, they'd be pretty effin' boring.

I'll agree with DK that most these thugs portrayed in Rap aren't really thugs at all. It's a portrayed persona with one goal in mind....money. However, I'd argue is that persona beneficial to the people they propose to help ? Of course not, but it does help their own pockets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I hate rap music and the culture that it spawned, so I won't be seeing this one. Yes I am curmudgeonly on this >:)

The word "hate" is not a good thing, and while through my many many years of playing all styles of music, I'd say Rap is not at the top of my fav's of the styles I have laid down tracks for by any means. Even though..I am very much so looking forward to seeing this movie! The learning experience from this crazy life style of the Rap artists is nothing short of amazing and okay....NWA has had me in stiches many a time. Their lyrics can crack up the dead and the beats are so cold! Need to open up drumminman! Just sayin' :)
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Was it NWA that had all the hate for the police or authority in general?
    Yes, they were one of the early groups to put it on wax....some did before them and others followed. We all know not all police are bad.....but many will tell you of unnecessary harassment, stops, unequal treatment by the police. Crazy, I was just having a conversation with one of my co-workers about profiling by the police. He was letting me listed to a blues/R&B song he just recording about the issue. We were talking about how the cops used to pull him over all the time for nothing at all. Said he used to have to take down badge numbers, take pictures, etc and go the the stations and talk to police Sergent and Chiefs to deal with the problem. It finally stopped after he threatened to take legal action using all of his evidence against the departments. Driving while being Black, it real....always has been. Many have stories to tell......from all walks of life.

I don't see gangsta rap as any worse than the scores of songs and movies, over many decades, glorifying and romanticizing the Mafia and other American organized crime figures. In fact, most of the prominent figures in gangsta rap style themselves after prominent American criminals and criminal organizations.
    I agree!, and I understand that the some artists wanted to portray a character or rap about what they have witnessed. However, by association the perception went down hill fast. Then, there was the issue of the youth being influenced by the music. Not a problem for those with a solid foundation but not the type of influence you want to see for those with a less than ideal upbringing. I won't point to the music as the problem....but I've seen some first hand influence by it. I did not mind the hard stuff at all, but the industry just got flooded with at at one point.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'll agree with DK that most these thugs portrayed in Rap aren't really thugs at all. It's a portrayed persona with one goal in mind....money.

Don't forget the B's and Ho's! Don't ever forget the B's and Ho's!! B)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,910
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    I'll agree with DK that most these thugs portrayed in Rap aren't really thugs at all. It's a portrayed persona with one goal in mind....money.

Don't forget the B's and Ho's! Don't ever forget the B's and Ho's!! B)

You can go to any high school and get that. lol If you can't, there's something seriously wrong with you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    Though movies in my day were a form of entertainment and taken as such. Today however, they are used to change perceptions and some take them as factual information.

Movies have always been used as propaganda tools. Look at any of the classic movies from the 40s and you see everyone chain smoking. Why? Because the cigarette companies paid money to have cigarettes figured prominently in films as something "healthful", "cool", and "refreshing".
    I'd imagine if most movies didn't take liberties with facts, they'd be pretty effin' boring.

Not really. Truth is stranger than fiction. Movies take liberties with facts because they have a particular viewpoint they want to sell.
    However, I'd argue is that persona beneficial to the people they propose to help ? Of course not, but it does help their own pockets.

Entertainers are like politicians: the number of them that actually want to help people is minuscule. Most are interested in doing whatever they need to do to make as much money as possible.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    John Gott? I guess I would feel better if kids were wearing Armani suits
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,966
    Options
    check out Fat Lip....pretty funny stuff.
  • afterburnt
    Options

Halen
    those movies were fantasy, this one is not however sanitized it is. I lived in that ****
  • afterburnt
    edited September 2015
    Options

The word "hate" is not a good thing, and while through my many many years of playing all styles of music, I'd say Rap is not at the top of my fav's of the styles I have laid down tracks for by any means. Even though..I am very much so looking forward to seeing this movie! The learning experience from this crazy life style of the Rap artists is nothing short of amazing and okay....NWA has had me in stiches many a time. Their lyrics can crack up the dead and the beats are so cold! Need to open up drumminman! Just sayin' :)

I hate evil, that is a good thing

• afterburnt
    Options

Halen

Amen Halen.

I'll agree with DK that most these thugs portrayed in Rap aren't really thugs at all. It's a portrayed persona with one goal in mind....money. However, I'd argue is that persona beneficial to the people they propose to help ? Of course not, but it does help their own pockets.

WRONG most of them are thugs
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Haven't there been a number of rap artists that have been shot or killed over the years that had some kind of gang affiliation???
    Post edited by Polkie2009 on
  • afterburnt
    Options

Movies have always been used as propaganda tools. Look at any of the classic movies from the 40s and you see everyone chain smoking. Why? Because the cigarette companies paid money to have cigarettes figured prominently in films as something "healthful", "cool", and "refreshing".

Not really. Truth is stranger than fiction. Movies take liberties with facts because they have a particular viewpoint they want to sell.
    However, I'd argue is that persona beneficial to the people they propose to help ? Of course not, but it does help their own pockets.

Entertainers are like politicians: the number of them that actually want to help people is minuscule. Most are interested in doing whatever they need to do to make as much money as possible.

maybe it was because damn near everyone smoked back then?
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,966
    Options

Halen

Amen Halen.

Its like saying all or most heavy heavy bands worship satan....its just a gimmick to make money...except for King Diamond of course
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options

59824937.jpg

They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    Options
    fact is by and large stereo types are accurate