A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    I like this project, I wonder if a forum member could machine some nice bezels to replace the cheap plastic ones on the SL and RD-0 series. Just a thought rock on
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    Doing this mod, I mic'd every dimension to compare to a peerless and possibly do just that, but I'm happy with the makeover. The silver double helix wires are eye-catching...

bj5z8bv4yvpg.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Very nice
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Doing this mod, I mic'd every dimension to compare to a peerless and possibly do just that, but I'm happy with the makeover. The silver double helix wires are eye-catching...

bj5z8bv4yvpg.jpg

There are some really good comments coming from this. I really like the idea of using the old to restore and make it like new as well as the possibility of making the old part sound better..
  • xschop
    Options
    Silly me, I checked the connections and removed crossovers...all good.
    Was puting my SL5000 back in and it's louder than other side also....
    Just one of those epiphany moments..... Balance knob off kilter.... SMH
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    Impressive. Most Impressive.

Very nice work.
  • xschop
    Options
    It just took some time and patience to complete, but well worth the effort.
    When I do another set, I'll try this style to save time as it looks like the leads are insulated where it counts....
    nqzrcl9nkq6m.png
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Silly me, I checked the connections and removed crossovers...all good.
    Was puting my SL5000 back in and it's louder than other side also....
    Just one of those epiphany moments..... Balance knob off kilter.... SMH

Man, don't do me like that !
  • VSAT88
    edited April 2017
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »

bj5z8bv4yvpg.jpg

There are some really good comments coming from this. I really like the idea of using the old to restore and make it like new as well as the possibility of making the old part sound better..

Those jokers look great ! Bet they sound great too ! Awesome work, keep it coming. When are the metal plates for the SL 2000 and RD-0194 and RD-0198 coming ? Hint Hint..
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    What he said :)
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• xschop
    Options
    Wouldnt you just swap over the SL1000 plates?

I see why Polk went with the plastic on newer tweets... Easier and cheaper to mfr as well as an insulator.... But the cool factor is a plus in this mod alone.

If I were to make new plates for the monitors I would fix two more issues as well.
  • VSAT88
    edited April 2017
    Options
    OK, no problem..We will wait...Right Randy?
  • xschop
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Your SDA's would look very unique with an interconnected tweeter plate.

Also, are your tweeters magnet to plate mount holes 40mm on square?
  • xschop
    Options
    Hmmmm....

n4y86zv8rxne.jpg
  • xschop
    Options
    ????....
    jz96r6nljc24.jpg
  • VSAT88
    Options

That is an incredible idea. I would have never thought of that in a million years..I would need measure..Will get back with ASAP. Family health issues to take care of. Mama fell...
  • VSAT88
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Another comment. One thing that may turn out to be a blessing when you do the RD-0184 and RD-0198 metal housing/plates is this..ail8tte02gr9.jpg
    3srzb2afyh11.jpg
    y51kpcen0bhl.jpg
    As you see here (RD-0194) the diaphragm is separate. It is not connected to the plastic plate. Voice coils are toast, saved for farther analysis..
    I have a few I can send you if you like. Complete tweeters, burnt coils.

• xschop
    Options
    Does Polk sell those diaphragms separately? That would make a rebuild kit alot easier for sure.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I wish.. Called them and they said..No..Tried to find ones that would fit, so far nothing is close enough. I ordered 4 from a company in China and tried to make them work, Two sound pretty good, the other two's VC scrapes. I have not tried any farther alignment.
  • xschop
    Options
    What was the ohm reading on those?
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Hey xschop, don't think I am ignoring you, just a lot to do with Mama in the hospital, family and stuff in town. I will get the measurements as soon as I can and post back.
  • xschop
    Options
    No worries. There's more important things in life than tweeters. Hope she gets to feeling/healing better soon.
  • VSAT88
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The SL -2000, RD-0194 and the RD-0198 are all 8 Ohm.
    Still have not taken any measurements though.
  • xschop
    edited April 2017
    Options
    What is the Exact O.D. of the RD-0194 and/or RD-0198 Magnets? It matters when the pins are bent and installed to new plates.

Also these 2 dims are most important as the same type pair I ordered are 43mm and 83mm. I can also re-machine the Sl-1000 plates for simple fitment on my next set that will be coming soon....
    And yes, these will be MUCH easier to install and swap.

pb5pdgnhdc5w.jpg

g1ulorzc6nfs.png

• VSAT88
    Options

Looks like 40mm X 40mm on the SL-2000 and 40mm x 40mm on the RD-0194 as well..
  • VSAT88
    Options
    What is the Exact O.D. of the RD-0194 and/or RD-0198 Magnets? It matters when the pins are bent and installed to new plates.

Also these 2 dims are most important as the same type pair I ordered are 43mm and 83mm. I can also re-machine the Sl-1000 plates for simple fitment on my next set that will be coming soon....
    And yes, these will be MUCH easier to install and swap.

pb5pdgnhdc5w.jpg

g1ulorzc6nfs.png

"What is the Exact O.D. of the RD-0194 and/or RD-0198 Magnets? It matters when the pins are bent and installed to new plates"
    71.76mm on the OD of the 194 magnets is what I pull (exact).

"Also these 2 dims are most important as the same type pair I ordered are 43mm and 83mm."
    82mm and 41mm are the measurements I get. Keep in mind that I am not a machine shop guy, far from it. I have a digital caliper but have never checked the accuracy.
  • VSAT88
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Oh, best I measure OD on the voice coil on the RD-0194 is 26mm ID is 25mm. I measure 4.81mm depth. Keep in mind that I took the last measurement by ripping loose a VC from one of the old burnt RD-0194's. Let me know if you need more measurements and I will try my best.v5il63a1f5ga.jpg If this is what you have found you have found the part I have been looking for all along to fix these four RD-0194's I have. I would bet on it. The image is the closest I have seen to the actual coil...
  • xschop
    Options
    The shared 40mm on square is the cat's meow. So a universal rebuild plate would fit all the magnets.
    If you have a complete RDO you can send, I'll do my due diligence to measure, compare and machine for these coil housings. The SL1000 magnets were also @73mm dia. and the coil depth I posted was from the actual membrane flange to the coil depth. There was 0.050" step that the sl1000 had between magnet and diaphragm.

A 2x thickness increase of alloy plate will make for stronger sealing when bolted down and countersinking the hardware as well as keeping the new coil housing flush or below the new surface face.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Sure I will send you one. Just PM me with the address. I would really like to repair at least two of the RD-0194 tweeters for a pair of SDA-2b speakers I have here so I really do hope that those diaphragms you found fit.
  • sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    Options
    Did the rebuilt sl2000 tweeters with the silk domes off ebay compare the the RD-0194? I noticed everybody who successfully updated them said they are buying the RD-0194. I need 8 of them and rather not spend 400 bucks on these specially since the speakers I need them for are not my main listening speakers. The sl2000s sound horrible