A Real SL 2000 Hack. Replace stock (burnt voice coils) with "silk diaphragm dome ".

Options

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Right and it is absorbing 99% of sound above 620 Hz (they claim). That's pretty low for a tweeter and I don't know what their crossover is in that driver. But it would be interesting to bore out the polepiece of a dome tweeter and mount something like this assembly on the back of the tweeter. Your 3D printer would be ideal for making the labyrinths as would Rob's CNC milling machine.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I like Yamaha's version of their rear chamber tubes. They have them on tweets and mids separately.

https://hifi.be/gfx/20180425114051_Yamaha_NS-5000_rs_chamber_GT.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Cool. Maybe that's from their experience with motorcycle exhausts lol. Looks like some sort of destructive interference addition manifold.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Cool. Maybe that's from their experience with motorcycle exhausts lol. Looks like some sort of destructive interference addition manifold.

Hmmm you got me thinking...could this technology work on a toilet bowl to drown out the infamous brown note
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I call bull$hit. lol

• VSAT88
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    I like Yamaha's version of their rear chamber tubes. They have them on tweets and mids separately.

https://hifi.be/gfx/20180425114051_Yamaha_NS-5000_rs_chamber_GT.jpg

Looks like an aliens flashlight
  • VSAT88
    Options

Like an old RD 250. An expansion chamber.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ferrofluid = I'm curious about that, before I button these tweeters up...

Continued testing in Monitor 12 boxes = They sound very smooth compared to the old clear domes. I expect even better things with the right crossovers ;)

Wish I had an extra 2000 coil assembly... I'd make one and send it to one of you guys to test against the other versions... Oh! I do have an extra!

So if anyone has the setup to test the Wuhans against other tweeters, I can send one... or does that data already exist?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Ferrofluid = I'm curious about that, before I button these tweeters up...

Continued testing in Monitor 12 boxes = They sound very smooth compared to the old clear domes. I expect even better things with the right crossovers ;)

Wish I had an extra 2000 coil assembly... I'd make one and send it to one of you guys to test against the other versions... Oh! I do have an extra!

So if anyone has the setup to test the Wuhans against other tweeters, I can send one... or does that data already exist?

Far as I know everyone is testing all these with their ears. I don't think anyone has done anything otherwise. I would like to know if anyone has though.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    I have only put the fluid in some tweets that came with fluid from the factory. They are the ones in my Snell speakers. I think it could be used with the Wuhans but no way to know for sure till someone tries it. I don't have any fluid left over and no real time to try measurements so I shall not be the guinea pig in this project. Wish you would try it though :D
  • VSAT88
    Options
    This d@mn vanilla SUX
  • xschop
    Options
    You should try the Vitamin A oil drop and spread to a sheen, with no excess.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    On coated domes... is it only the outside that is doped, or the inside, too?

How about the surround bulge?

Figured I'd ask before I hit the last steps and assemble for good.

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    Options
    Only the mfr. can answer that question. As for the wuhans, none of them look coated at all, compared to an RD-0194/8.

The very light coat of oil takes the edge off them, smoothing them down comparable to the 194's, IMO.

Drill and taper the pole-pieces, stuff with lamb's wool and then compare to a set of factory 194's.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I can't drill my own pole pieces right now. That's a whole lotta hours I need to attempt that. I just don't have your skill.

I'll dope and finish assembling the Wuhans as is, and expect to drill pole pieces somehow in the future (after I replace the coils in the crossovers and do a Dread).

Testing clearance on my tweeter insert with the original dome. It fits as snug as I can manage without touching. Same height as the original felt.

And I'll have a spare if anyone wants to test.
    chfuku93jiaz.jpeg
  • xschop
    Options
    Conjunctivitis ;)
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Conjunctivitis ;)

Ha!

Pink-Eyed Wuhan
  • VSAT88
    Options
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Only 2 of my tweeters had the thin paper-like pad between the tweeter/plate and the pole/magnet.

What do you lot use as a replacement?

I'm trying to print a replacement, and wondering if a light adhesive applied to both sides of the pad, to create a bona fide air seal in the tweeter's rear, would be beneficial?

2kuvvjay2hna.jpeg
    gqbfsjoj9bgh.jpeg

Post edited by plastic_avatar on
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    You guys and your hard work modding. I really appreciate all your work.

To any lurkers who wonder:

- Is it worth it to mod rather than buy the 194?

If you want to save some bucks, it's totally worth it. Sooooo much better than the SL2000 to my ear. I'm still dialing in my mods, but even running on 40 yr-old crossovers before I rebuild my 1C... they really please (I've still got great hearing, and haven't lost all my highs to age yet).

- I've never done this, it looks too hard.

It's not! It's actually hard to mess it up, imo. These guys did all the experimenting. Guys like us can just read, ask questions, then mod from a much easier place than they did!

I'm really happy with the results, I learned a lot, and got to put money towards other things. I'll likely move on to another model before I would replace the Wuhans with the 194. Though, I might try a completely different dome next, if I can match specs...

Got yucky SL2000's in your Polks? Move on up to Wuhans! Kick that unpleasant hump in the highs to the curb!

aq19uyrmawli.jpeg
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I removed the backers/gaskets I made.
    If anyone wants them for other projects, I'll put the file up on Shapeways or something.
    Why did I remove it?
    The coil is shallower than the coil on the original 2000 dome. It sounded like the Wuhan with the gasket was a little muted. It seems to be a little more... vocal... with the thin gasket removed. I guess every little bit helps.
    I think an experiment worth trying might be to use a thinner top plate, to allow more of the coil down into that magnetic field.

Also, is there a technical reason why the top plate is metal? Does it actually matter? The part we're really concerned with is the gap between the rod (pole piece) and the magnet, yes? How might the Wuhan perform if the top plate were removed, and a much thinner (gasket thin) plate were created? Since the voice coil on the Wuhan is shallower, would dipping it down into that field a bit more affect its sound?
  • xschop
    Options
    I believe at rest, the coil centerline should be in the same plane as top plate centerline, no?
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    ...the coil centerline should be in the same plane as top plate centerline, no?

[thinks]

I think without puts the lower than centerline.

But it's all my ear without proper, electronic measurement.

Side note: Going back through the thread from the start... you guys are awesome.

@VSAT88 @Tony M @xschop

You guys are the Holy Trinity of this. I'm thankful I get to go to church here.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLA4TbVkRkQ
    I removed the backers/gaskets I made.
    If anyone wants them for other projects, I'll put the file up on Shapeways or something.
    Why did I remove it?
    The coil is shallower than the coil on the original 2000 dome. It sounded like the Wuhan with the gasket was a little muted. It seems to be a little more... vocal... with the thin gasket removed. I guess every little bit helps.
    I think an experiment worth trying might be to use a thinner top plate, to allow more of the coil down into that magnetic field.

Also, is there a technical reason why the top plate is metal? Does it actually matter? The part we're really concerned with is the gap between the rod (pole piece) and the magnet, yes? How might the Wuhan perform if the top plate were removed, and a much thinner (gasket thin) plate were created? Since the voice coil on the Wuhan is shallower, would dipping it down into that field a bit more affect its sound?

It is one of the poles in the magnet motor. Changing it in thickness would effect the height of the gap and would change the magnetic flux density also.

yva1yjha2ytc.jpg

PS: I have no idea how the KEF Metamaterial video got in here because all I did is quote your post and add my screenshot of the magnet motor lol!

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ahhhhhh.

I wondered if it had to be steel, or would copper matter, or did it even matter to have it on top of the magnet at all. Or, if a wound copper wire would do the same thing...

Trying to find real, digestible info online is difficult for the why and because.
  • Gardenstater
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ahhhhhh.

I wondered if it had to be steel, or would copper matter, or did it even matter to have it on top of the magnet at all. Or, if a wound copper wire would do the same thing...

Trying to find real, digestible info online is difficult for the why and because.

I'll see if I bookmarked anything that explains loudspeaker magnet motors. The ferrite donut magnet is axially magnetized after assembly. One side will become a N pole and the other side is S pole. The backplate pole piece is assembled to the N pole of the magnet and the frontplate pole piece to the S pole. So they become the N and S poles of the magnet motor. It absolutely has to be a material that has high magnetic permeability. Copper is completely out. I think what is usually used in common loudspeakers is C1008 or C1010 low carbon steels. Pure iron, like 0.999 Fe is super expensive but would have a great deal more permeability, as would other materials that are super expensive also.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    The basic list of documented mods, parts/labor to upgrade an SL2000 into a Wuhan:

- The Wuhan textile dome (2 styles... snug plate and full plate around the tweeter).
    - Mod the Polk faceplate to accommodate the Wuhan dome (level of difficulty depends on the faceplate style and/or version of tweeter purchased).
    - Use a custom faceplate like @xschop's milled end-game beauties, or make your own like my 3D-printed ones.
    - Replace the felt pad behind the dome (some come dome-shaped and some are cylindrical, but there's no definitive version/ material/ dimensions, and someone might experiment with crazy hybrid diffusers like I did).
    - Determine whether to use tweeter backing gasket/pad. This might depend on whether the Wuhan domes remain consistent. Has anyone checked the voice coil height between the snug and plate versions?
    - Make sure the screws you use to put it all back together aren't too long, so you don't pop the metal top plate off the magnet.
    - Coat the domes with a doping material to smooth out the sound- just like on other tweeters.
    - Add material to the back of the faceplate. Armacell? Dynamat?
    - Make new gasket for mounting tweeter to cabinet.
    - Glue plates to magnet if fine, disassemble and fix if off kilter.

Super-duper mod for the brave:

- Drill out and vent the pole piece. Difficulty level expert.

Did I miss anything?

Thought: So how does venting the pole piece affect the magnetic field?

Less material, and would the void change the