What's a good USB A to USB B cable?

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It's funny how you guys decry bias when it comes personal experiences but swallow the whole "media isn't biased" bullsh*t hook line and sinker.

This ^^^, lol.

There's bias in everything, and for all sorts of reasons. That's why it's easier to take what you read with a grain of salt and get to know people and their biases...likes and dislikes. If they somewhat match up to yours then take their advice. Ears you trust and all that.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    The Darqueknight did privately acknowledge that there are audio myths and snake-oil involved with analog and digital cables yet publicly denounced them in this forum "What are they?!", because it doesn't fit the general "group-think" of several members of this forum.

I have also said the same thing many times on this forum. You should know that because the quote below is a response to you on May 18, 2015:
    Yes, I agree that some cable manufacturer's claims are not grounded in scientific validity. There are scam artists in every field of commerce. However, you make yourself look like someone on a hysterical witch hunt by claiming that all high performance audio cable manufacturers are peddling snake oil.

I don't say one thing privately and then take an opposite position publicly. The quote above is from this thread:

forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2137059#Comment_2137059

I don't appreciate you attempting to twist my words to fit your psychotic and delusional obsession with discrediting the entire audio cable industry. You obviously are willing to go to the same dishonest extremes as your "friend" Jinjuku/Habanero Monk in order to make your case. If you people have to resort to lying, misrepresentation, and creating multiple personnas to "validate" your claims, you must not have much confidence in what you are saying. As for you personally, if you are unwilling or unable to represent me accurately, you need to keep my name out of your mouth and off of your fingertips.

It will be good when you guys get a stereo system you really enjoy. Maybe then you won't be so bothered about the cables and equipment that other people enjoy.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    The Darqueknight did privately acknowledge that there are audio myths and snake-oil involved with analog and digital cables yet publicly denounced them in this forum "What are they?!", because it doesn't fit the general "group-think" of several members of this forum.

I have also said the same thing many times on this forum. You should know that because the quote below is a response to you on May 18, 2015:
    Yes, I agree that some cable manufacturer's claims are not grounded in scientific validity. There are scam artists in every field of commerce. However, you make yourself look like someone on a hysterical witch hunt by claiming that all high performance audio cable manufacturers are peddling snake oil.

I don't say one thing privately and then take an opposite position publicly. The quote above is from this thread:

forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2137059#Comment_2137059

I don't appreciate you attempting to twist my words to fit your psychotic and delusional obsession with discrediting the entire audio cable industry. You obviously are willing to go to the same dishonest extremes as your "friend" Jinjuku/Habanero Monk in order to make your case. If you people have to resort to lying, misrepresentation, and creating multiple personnas to "validate" your claims, you must not have much confidence in what you are saying. As for you personally, if you are unwilling or unable to represent me accurately, you need to keep my name out of your mouth and off of your fingertips.

It will be good when you guys get a stereo system you really enjoy. Maybe then you won't be so bothered about the cables and equipment that other people enjoy.

Well that's going to leave a mark!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    drselect wrote: »
    Wasn't CBS News the media organization who had to fire there main anchor man for making stuff up...

Nope never mind that was NBC News.

So your right if its from CBS News it must be spot on.

Maybe back in the days of Uncle Walter. More recently, CBS News has had their fair share of "manufactured journalism":

huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/10/dan-rather-lara-logan-bengazi-scandal-cbs-news

nbcnews.com/id/6055248/ns/politics/t/cbs-news-admits-bush-documents-cant-be-verified

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Is it going to be every single time someone talks about audio or video cables this bull crap will go on?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • vmaxer
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Is it going to be every single time someone talks about audio or video cables this bull crap will go on?

I am thinking....yes.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    Options
    Maybe back in the days of Uncle Walter. More recently, CBS News has had their fair share of "manufactured journalism":

Dang it now were am I suppose to go to get told what I should think about the news?

PS: Does anyone know were the sarcasm face thingy is?

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    mantis wrote: »

It's like you made all 13000 of your posts on some other forum! ;) Just yanking your chain Dan.

But yes, cable "discussions" always bring out the worst in people. Unfortunately, the conversations go along just fine and then a certain unnamed element will interpose their view. And while there is nothing inherently wrong with that, their view then continues on to insult and question the intellect of any view that does not agree with theirs and then they will cry foul and bias and incest and stuff when they are called out on their nonsense.

I think your thread started off well but then, as you saw there and again here, there is this certain element that will try and twist what you say to fit their view if it even remotely brushes on being similar to theirs. And then all bets are off as the gates of purgatory are kicked open and brimstone and damnation rain down.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Got to hand it to him...it takes a special kind of stupid to get back up and ask for more when you have had your a$$ so relentlessly handed to you.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    You misrepresent yourself with a big flip/flop my friend. Why ask for examples for something you previously agreed to? It doesn't make sense.
    One day you agree that there are audio myths and snake-oil, then another day you ask for examples of audio myths noting only I, and not you, make this claim.

I see.

You are butthurt because I asked you for examples of audio cable claims you believe to be unscientific or mythical and you don't want to do it. I would think you would be enthusiastic about complying with my request considering your obsession with this topic.

If I say I know some doctors are quacks and you say all doctors are quacks...and I ask you to provide examples of what you consider medical quackery...how is that flip/flopping? You are the one with the extreme position. You should be able and willing to provide examples of what you consider quackery. You are trying to duck substantiating your claims by saying someone partially agrees with you. That is not rational.

Again, can you provide an example of an audio cable ad THAT YOU consider to be unscientific and mythical?
    Now you do agree there are audio myths and snake-oil. So which is it?

Of course there are audio myths and snake oil. Roger Russel's website and the Audioholics website are full of them. Roger Russel is selling his IDS 25 speaker system with internal Cardas wire, not because he says he knows Cardas wire to be better, but because he is "out to sell speakers". If he has evidence that Cardas wire is no better than generic wire, shouldn't he should stand by his "convictions" and "principles" and not go along with "evil audio cable manufacturers".
    Talk about multiple personalities. I'm not the one with kooky audio theories that are without a properly proven scientific basis.

You and anyone else are always welcome to offer scientific rebuttal. Simply ranting and raving and calling something you don't agree with "kooky" is not scientific.
    You bring up examples of ridiculously priced cables as an example of "respectful and constructive discourse".

- Magnum M1.3 balanced ($4,699)
    - Oracle V1.3 balanced ($11,749)
    - Oracle V1.3 on Audiogon for $5,000

I view this as three examples of the absurd. There is no scientific theory (mathematics and performance measurements) and scientifically conducted listening tests published in a recognized peer review scientific publication to justify the construction and ridiculous cost of those cables.

Are you claiming expertise in cable manufacturing?

This thread has an explanation for you:

Why Are You Mad At Cables You Can't Afford?
    As Carl Sagan has said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

The quantitative evidence is actually quite basic:

1. Measure two cables and see if there are measurable differences between them.
    2. Evaluate the measured difference to see if it falls within the range of human perception (hearing, sound localization, and tactile sensation).

Once a quantitative difference has or has not been established, you can do subjective listening evaluations with trained listeners.
    If you think CBS is so wrong, why not use your credentials to challenge them?
    Do you claim that CBS is on the similar witch hunt as you claim I am on?

What do my credentials have to do with whether or not CBS News reported inaccuracies? The two articles I provided were cases where CBS admitted error. You look insane asking me to challenge someone who has already admitted they were wrong.
    Or is it that we are after the truth and the truth hurts?

The only truth that matters to me is the sound coming out of my various audio systems.

Good luck taking down all those evil, evil, evil expensive, esoteric audio cable manufacturers.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    You misrepresent yourself with a big flip/flop my friend. Why ask for examples for something you previously agreed to? It doesn't make sense.
    One day you agree that there are audio myths and snake-oil, then another day you ask for examples of audio myths noting only I, and not you, make this claim.

I see.

You are butthurt because I asked you for examples of audio cable claims you believe to be unscientific or mythical and you don't want to do it. I would think you would be enthusiastic about complying with my request considering your obsession with this topic.

If I say I know some doctors are quacks and you say all doctors are quacks...and I ask you to provide examples of what you consider medical quackery...how is that flip/flopping? You are the one with the extreme position. You should be able and willing to provide examples of what you consider quackery. You are trying to duck substantiating your claims by saying someone partially agrees with you. That is not rational.

Again, can you provide an example of an audio cable ad THAT YOU consider to be unscientific and mythical?
    Now you do agree there are audio myths and snake-oil. So which is it?

Of course there are audio myths and snake oil. Roger Russel's website and the Audioholics website are full of them. Roger Russel is selling his IDS 25 speaker system with internal Cardas wire, not because he says he knows Cardas wire to be better, but because he is "out to sell speakers". If he has evidence that Cardas wire is no better than generic wire, shouldn't he should stand by his "convictions" and "principles" and not go along with "evil audio cable manufacturers".
    Talk about multiple personalities. I'm not the one with kooky audio theories that are without a properly proven scientific basis.

You and anyone else are always welcome to offer scientific rebuttal. Simply ranting and raving and calling something you don't agree with "kooky" is not scientific.
    You bring up examples of ridiculously priced cables as an example of "respectful and constructive discourse".

- Magnum M1.3 balanced ($4,699)
    - Oracle V1.3 balanced ($11,749)
    - Oracle V1.3 on Audiogon for $5,000

I view this as three examples of the absurd. There is no scientific theory (mathematics and performance measurements) and scientifically conducted listening tests published in a recognized peer review scientific publication to justify the construction and ridiculous cost of those cables.

Are you claiming expertise in cable manufacturing?

This thread has an explanation for you:

Why Are You Mad At Cables You Can't Afford?
    As Carl Sagan has said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

The quantitative evidence is actually quite basic:

1. Measure two cables and see if there are measurable differences between them.
    2. Evaluate the measured difference to see if it falls within the range of human perception (hearing, sound localization, and tactile sensation).

Once a quantitative difference has or has not been established, you can do subjective listening evaluations with trained listeners.
    If you think CBS is so wrong, why not use your credentials to challenge them?
    Do you claim that CBS is on the similar witch hunt as you claim I am on?

What do my credentials have to do with whether or not CBS News reported inaccuracies? The two articles I provided were cases where CBS admitted error. You look insane asking me to challenge someone who has already admitted they were wrong.
    Or is it that we are after the truth and the truth hurts?

The only truth that matters to me is the sound coming out of my various audio systems.

Good luck taking down all those evil, evil, evil expensive, esoteric audio cable manufacturers.
    And you guys had lunch together IIRC? I would have thrown up a bit...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options

Just a quick note, CBS just provided a link to a CNET opinion piece. The problem is some people have terrible reading comprehension skills. Thus when they read an opinion that meshes with their thinking they then think it is a scientific treatise, and infallible. Obviously, they are deluded, but in their fantasy world they are always right.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    Dang it now were am I suppose to go to get told what I should think about the news?

Try one of the local psychics or fortune tellers, or, if you are really serious about being told what to think, pick a politician.

• DarqueKnight
    Options
    And you guys had lunch together IIRC? I would have thrown up a bit...

It was a nice lunch. As I recall, he didn't bring up audio cables until the end as we were leaving.

• DarqueKnight
    Options

Audioquest likes to mix some truth to give themselves a measure of validity with a lot of bs and misapplication of science. We are talking about an AC signal and they talk about directionality. Pure absolute bs.

Try again.

The AC waveform alternates between a max and min value, but the net energy flow is in a single direction from source to load. It is not bouncing back and forth between the wall and the appliance. The "bouncing" or "direction change" is between max and min values of the sine wave peaks.

Phasor1.gif

"A phasor can be considered a vector rotating about the origin in a complex plane. The cosine function is the projection of the vector onto the real axis. Its amplitude is the modulus of the vector, and its argument is the total phase omega t+theta. The phase constant theta represents the angle that the vector forms with the real axis at t = 0."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor

Phasor2.gif
    "The sum of phasors as addition of rotating vectors."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor/wiki/Phasor

In addition to the above, a wire, depending on how it is drawn (milled), can have different electrical properties in one direction compared to the other. The wire insulation, which is a dielectric, will have different electrical properties in one direction compared to the other due to molecular dipole alignment.
    DielecPolarity_zpsevgpx8qc.jpg
    "The random orientations of molecular dipoles in a dielectric are aligned under the influence of an electric field by applying a voltage to the electrodes."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_absorption

AudioQuest was granted two patents for the Dielectric Bias System: 7,872,195 and 7,126,055. The patent filings have considerably more technical detail than the marketing materials. Let us know if you find any technical errors the Patent Office missed.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    So x, since you are so convinced of all this snake oil business going on why don't you sue the cable companies you rail against? I mean, you have all this solid evidence, right? That is you have actually used their products and tested each and every cable with every means currently known to man and science, right? If so, it should be a slam dunk in your favor. Then you can parade the verdict around the net and for once not look like a fool.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    Options
    AQ's cable directionality is bogus ...............
    Cables are a really boring subject. There are much better things to talk about, don't you agree?

This is a question you should honestly ask yourself.
  • F1nut
    Options
    AQ's cable directionality is bogus and worthless for AC. There is no audible effect.

So, you tried them?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I don't believe him either.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    But he are a lectrical engerneer.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I just conducted an experiment with one of my high end power cords. I wanted to see if I could hear a difference by reversing the cord and sure enough I did. The male end wouldn't fit in the amp IEC nor would the IEC end plug into the outlet. The result was no sound whatsoever where as before the sound was glorious to say the least. My conclusion is that power cords are without a doubt directional.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    The best part of waking up....

was this thread.... :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • drselect
    drselect Posts: 664
    Options

Try one of the local psychics or fortune tellers, or, if you are really serious about being told what to think, pick a politician.

Actually, I am not looking for any more help in the are of being told what to think. I have several well qualified individuals in my household including at times my dog. :o
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    Can't wait till the Audioquest Jitterbug is available. That thread should be a blast!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    No Dan...the best part of waking up, is seeing the self destruct button get pushed and watching the chaos and mayhem ensue.

I love it when someone comes to a gunfight wielding a Popsicle stick and a wad of chewing gum.

• tonyb
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Once again it just doesn't sink in. Science and subjectivity are 2 peas in different pods.

Science can not predict what I will or will not hear. You can quote electrical standards all day long, has little to do with what people will actually hear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Reread my posts to see who was taken to school. Perhaps it went over your head. ;)
    That's the problem here, too many so-called experienced people here don't really seem to understand the basics of electricity and that is why they all too often succumb to the audio mythologies. I was glad to offer a refresher in Electricity 101 free of charge. The class clowns also showed up as predicted. :)

Tis better to remain silent and let people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. :#
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Reread my posts to see who was taken to school. Perhaps it went over your head. ;)
    That's the problem here, too many so-called experienced people here don't really seem to understand the basics of electricity and that is why they all too often succumb to the audio mythologies. I was glad to offer a refresher in Electricity 101 free of charge. The class clowns also showed up as predicted. :)

Tis better to remain silent and let people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. :#

Awww man...... why didnt someone tell me that BEFORE now :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For someone who thinks cables are boring, he sure gets involved in every cable thread. Must be his mission in life...to save us all from ourselves. I think the Bose forum is 2 blocks down on the left. lol

If one thinks that the basics of electricity is the main driving force to all things audio, then they have very little knowledge about audio in general.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    Options

You keep telling yourself that, Cupcake. You have clearly and blatantly showed your ignorance time and time again even going so far as outright lies to try and prove some point you think you are making.

I don't need to show others what you so obviously lack as you are doing such a great job of it that even Slick Willie and Kevin Crypt stopped "backing you up". That says volumes about how far off the rails of reality you have jumped.

xcrappy,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdhQWkTl1PQ