New sub......fronts large or small?

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
Hey guys:

I just received my new sub (DSW 550) as part of my friends and family order. I know the general guidance here is "crossover at 80 and set fronts as small, and then adjust from there." My question is, can you have different speaker sizes for different audio types? In other words, I'm fine with my fronts being "small" when I'm enjoying a movie. But when I'm listening to music, and the receiver is in 2CH, I'd prefer the fronts to be "large", as the sound is much better.

Any general thoughts there? I'm guessing I should just leave the x-over at 80, and set the fronts as large anyway, but am wondering if you guys approach this differently (or if I'm missing something super basic.)
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Usually recommended to set speakers to small. If you like the sound better at large, then go with large. Just remember it takes a lot more power from you AVR to hit lower fees.

Have you tried repositioning your sub? Sometimes it only takes a few inches to hear a noticeable difference.
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    I go by size of the speakers.
    Large towers, large,
    Bookshelf, small.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    I go with what sounds best, and that depends on a couple things: the power behind the the speakers (avr or separate pa) and the type of speakers. I have large front L-R's in my HT powered by a separate pa, and I go with large and the sub set at 60. In fact I have the center and the surrounds set at large too. It sounds better in my room.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    For HT they should be set to small when using a sub.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • jflail2
    OK, thanks for the input so far. I suppose I left out some integral details here.

Fronts= Rti-10's.
    Center= Csi3.
    Sub= pending installation, 550.
    Receiver= Denon 3313ci.

Honestly, the Denon has had no problems pushing the 10's (set to large) in 2CH mode. At least not to my partially broken ears anyway.

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Hey guys:

I just received my new sub (DSW 550) as part of my friends and family order. I know the general guidance here is "crossover at 80 and set fronts as small, and then adjust from there." My question is, can you have different speaker sizes for different audio types? In other words, I'm fine with my fronts being "small" when I'm enjoying a movie. But when I'm listening to music, and the receiver is in 2CH, I'd prefer the fronts to be "large", as the sound is much better.

Any general thoughts there? I'm guessing I should just leave the x-over at 80, and set the fronts as large anyway, but am wondering if you guys approach this differently (or if I'm missing something super basic.)

In 2 channel if you set your speakers to Large & you prefer the sound to setting them to Small w/ the sub then you haven't dialed the sub in correctly to play in your room. It takes a lot of work, trial & error to do it right but it's magical when dialed in correctly. If you just plop the sub down & expect it perform correctly you're sadly mistaken. In that case run the speakers Large & enjoy. Check out the link for more info. on the subject.

http://www.ecoustics.com/articles/set-speakers-small-receiver-setup/

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    With that receiver you should have a number of options that i would try. First, you have separate crossover settings available for every pair of speakers, so I would try setting the 10s to the lowest setting, say 40hz, and the center and surround speakers at 80hz. Another option (since I take it you haven't been running a sub anyway) is to use the preouts to feed the sub, run the 10s as large in pure direct mode and cross the sub over at no higher than 40hz (ideally lower if that's possible). Again, cross your center at 80hz. Option 2 should sound better in 2 channel mode, always has for me. Less processing=better sound for music at least.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • I personally have never found the combination of subs and front speakers set to large to sound better than a well dialed in sub with fronts set to small at the right crossover. The reason is that the sub is good at low frequencies and the speakers are not. They overlap each other and you end up with "boomy" and "muddy" sound. If you take the time to dial in the sub, and by that I mean finding the right location where it fills the room best, setting the crossover and phase to match the speakers to your liking, then I think you'll be rewarded with better/cleaner sound. It takes experimenting to get this right, take your time, play around with all those setting and you will find something that works best for your ears. And if you end up with speakers in large mode and sub crossed at 80hz, then be it. Have fun. ;-)
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

Bedroom 5.0 HT Rig (Music/Movies/Gaming) :

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    It's a matter of personal taste gents, the old crossover at 80, set to small, is just a guideline, not a written in stone must do.

For me, I have never found, nor heard, a floorstander that sounded better set to small over large....in HT or music, with any sub. It's not a matter of a well integrated sub either. Set to small, the soundstage shrinks, tone and weight is off, and while a good sub will make up some of that tone and weight, it isn't the same to my ears.

I know some will disagree with all that, and that's fine, like I said...matter of taste. Dual subs up front is the way to go for music though if that's your cup of tea, but then...if you have dual subs upfront, why do you need floorstanders ?

It's more about system matching, figuring out what exactly you want your system to do...and sound, to your own personal tastes. Sometimes in audio, it's better to go down the road less traveled to discover what works for you and what doesn't.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mystery
    edited December 2014
    Yes, I also think it's a waste if getting nice floorstanders that go below 40 hz just to crossover at 80.
    I'd rather get small bookshelves and save money if that's the plan.
    I have tried setting large fronts to small but never liked it.

• That's what I use to think when I first started playing around with this stuff too.

Why do I use floorstanders if I run them set to small?! felt like I was "underutilizing" them.

However, I discovered that the real benefit of floorstanders is the breath of the sound stage and the impact they deliver in the frequency range where they are designed to work. In reality, even your floorstanders aren't good below 40-60hz. Your sub simply does that job better. If you set each speaker to do their job, an blend them correctly, you might be surprised at how good that sounds. However, that takes patience and testing, so might not be for everyone.

I find myself running either floorstanders set to large and the sub turned off, or the sub handling everything below the cross over point with the fronts set to small. In the room where I listen, this works best for my taste.

In the end, everyone's ear is different, so I completely agree that even given the same system we might all end up with different settings, just due to our personal preferences. Mine is just one of many ways to do it.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

M70 | CS2 | M60 | Atrium5 - Surr. | SUB - Emotiva ULTRA12 + Tara Labs sub cable | Pioneer Elite VSX-52 | Parasound HCAs 1000A | Sony BDP-S790 | Belkin PureAV PF60 | MIT Exp2 Wires

LSi9 | LsiC | Lsi/fx | Marantz SR7002 | NAD T955 | Sony BDP-S360 | Belkin PureAV PF30 | AQ Blue Racer II ICs & AQ Type 4 wires | PS3
  • I have shape shifting ears. So if we shake hands...
  • Mystery
    edited December 2014
    A lot of different situations exist and not all of us have perfect room and time to setup sub.
    What sounds best with minimum placement location and existing room is the best setup for HT.

There is one sub and small speakers.
    There are multiple subs and small speakers.

There is one sub and large speakers.
    There are multiple subs and large speakers.

Another thing to consider is what is the frequency response of speakers compared to the sub.
    If the sub only goes down to 30hz and speakers also do the same, there is no point in crossing over as the speakers also are able to reproduce same frequency and kinda give distributed bass feeling.
    However, if the sub like the OP has that goes down to 23hz (not sure how optimistic that rating is for the DSW 550) and speakers only go down to 50 hz, it's better to crossover so speakers don't strain to reproduce frequencies below 50hz specially for movies that have a lot of explosions and other bass heavy materials.

I tried different things and I found that if the sub is right next to front speakers, it shifts the imaging crossovered or not but when the sub is farther away, fronts at Large setting has better bass all around.

Also, 80hz is not a hard cutoff frequency.
    If your receiver allows lower like around 60hz, that's even better.

• Lietuvis91
    Lietuvis91 Posts: 908
    edited December 2014
    My main and really only point is that even when your speaker can go down to 30hz, it is not good at doing it, not as good as the sub is in that range anyway. Even the mighty lsi9, with 200w/ch driving it, does not do well below 40hz. And if you look at the spec sheet, it is clear why. It just wasnt designed to go there. And it shouldn't be, as most music doesn't have much content below 40hz anyway, therefore emphasis on those frequencies is minimal by design, and because those frequencies are still better handled by a sub that is specifically designed to do this job.

I have noticed the same thing too in that it depends on where the sub is placed (next to fronts, or further away). When the sub is further out, you do get a fuller sound with the fronts set to large, but in my room it's still not quiet as clean as separating things out. Maybe I'm just too surgical about my music and movie listening. I just like to hear clean detail.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

• Mystery
    edited December 2014
    I'm not arguing that subs can handle bass better.
    Of course that's what they are made to do.

I just don't like the sound crossed at 80hz.
    Few receivers allow lower crossover point and that's much better cutoff point.
    Or go with external crossover so you can set crossover to exactly match what the front speakers can do, i.e. 40hz crossover for big speakers.

One thing I tried that worked great was to use the sub's crossover instead of receivers.
    This sub had variable crossover out with high level input.
    So from receiver's front speakers wires to sub's high level in and then out from sub to speakers.
    Receiver sending full range to the speakers.
    The sub's crossover was used to split the frequencies so it blended quite good as the crossover can be adjusted from around 120hz all the way down to 30hz.
    However, you can't use LFE out from receiver if you do this unless the sub can take both inputs at the same time.

• That's a cool idea, MYSTERY. I never thought about routing through the sub, but maybe that's because I didn' need to since luckily all my avrs allowed xo down to 40-50hz. Yours seems like an interesting way to handle it.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

• jflail2
    Wow, tons of great feedback here. Sounds like I'm going to need to take a few hours tomorrow and just play with x-overs, speaker size and sub placement. I think I'm going to need to buy the wireless adapter for the sub, if it has to go anywhere beyond where the old one was sitting.

Thanks very much guys. This will definitely help me down the right path (even if I have to try every single suggestion for 15 minutes each.)

• tonyb
    ...and you may very well have to. Experiment pal, that's the name of the game.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jflail2
    tonyb wrote: »

You're exactly right Tony. I think I carry my "rush through everything b/c it's all due 10 minutes ago" attitude home from work too much.

I think I'll sit down with a couple of my favorite CDs (and a cold guiness or 3) tomorrow and really take my time to tinker with each recommendation. Though depending on how many beers I have, the last rec may be the winner by default, hahah.

• tonyb wrote: »

Amen to that!

It's actually quiet rewarding to know you've dialed it in to your taste, and of course a real pleasure to listen to when you get it just right.
    Living Room 7.1 HT Rig:

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I think I'll sit down with a couple of my favorite CDs (and a cold guiness or 3) tomorrow and really take my time to tinker with each recommendation.

I'll bet it sounds better after the 3rd one! :D

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited December 2014
    My Pioneer's lowest crossover setting is 50Hz. THX specifies 80 Hz. My 2As hit the 30s, My center, surrounds and rears all do below 50 Hz. I set my 2As to Large, everything else to Small. I also have a Sub-Plus setting in the Pioneer, which I use, that routes everything below 50 Hz to the sub, and also sends full frequency to my 2As. My sub is in the right rear corner, and the 2As augment, not negatively affect the front soundstage. It just sounds better to me, with my setup.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    Exactly....different strokes and all. Variety is the spice of life. Don't account anything in audio as written in stone.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Hey guys:

In 2 channel if you set your speakers to Large & you prefer the sound to setting them to Small w/ the sub then you haven't dialed the sub in correctly to play in your room. It takes a lot of work, trial & error to do it right but it's magical when dialed in correctly. If you just plop the sub down & expect it perform correctly you're sadly mistaken. In that case run the speakers Large & enjoy. Check out the link for more info. on the subject.

http://www.ecoustics.com/articles/set-speakers-small-receiver-setup/

I agree. The same can be said about speaker placement, mlp and room acoustics among other things.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Jflail2,
    When you run the EQ on your Denon AVR, does it set the fronts to large?
  • "My question is, can you have different speaker sizes for different audio types?"

I'm not sure about your receiver but on mine I can set default listening modes to each input source.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    For me, I have never found, nor heard, a floorstander that sounded better set to small over large....in HT or music, with any sub. It's not a matter of a well integrated sub either. Set to small, the soundstage shrinks, tone and weight is off, and while a good sub will make up some of that tone and weight, it isn't the same to my ears.

I understand what you mean here....I think I've heard better sub integration in some top SQ car audio installs than in some home systems....even using one sub. I think is takes at least two in the home to even begin to attempt a seamless balance.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    It's a matter of personal taste gents, the old crossover at 80, set to small, is just a guideline, not a written in stone must do.

I know some will disagree with all that, and that's fine, like I said...matter of taste. Dual subs up front is the way to go for music though if that's your cup of tea, but then...if you have dual subs upfront, why do you need floorstanders ?

It's more about system matching, figuring out what exactly you want your system to do...and sound, to your own personal tastes. Sometimes in audio, it's better to go down the road less traveled to discover what works for you and what doesn't.

Heck, I'll go as far as to say the same for bookshelves - esp when an AVR is trying to do duty for music.

When my system was only comprised of an AVR, I had two saved settings:
    1) HT with the AVR doing bass management adhering to the 'mantra' of must let the sub handle the scary dangerous LFE stuff for movies and speakers set to small
    2)For music - bookshelves set to large, bass=both, cuz it sounded better.

Then, when I 'discovered' audio components with HT bypass - the AVR is turned off for music and the bookshelves and sub work together with no bass management...cuz it sounds *even better*.

Bass as a "strain" on the amp - pffft....bring it - got gobs of power.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • jflail2
    So I ended up with my fronts set to large and the x-over at 80 for everything. I was able to choose a different setting for 2CH, so for my Denon at least, you can have speakers set to large, and then small for HT duties. So for 2CH, I ended up with speakers at large, and chose to leave the sub on (I may change that once the newness has worn off.)

It took a lot of listening (and more than 3 guiness's), but this is what my ears like, so I'm going with this for now.

When I finally break down and order a 5x200 amp, I'd assume I'll have to start from scratch, so thanks to all for the feedback.

• tonyb
    Atta boy....set it the way your ears tell you to. There is no right or wrong.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's