Hifonics vs. PG

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am looking into a 4-channel amp to power polk db6750 components upfront, and db675 coaxial rears. I've narrowed it down to either.
PG tantrum 400.4
PG tantrum 600.4
Hifonics Nemesis NX440
Hifonics Nemesis NX880

My concern about PG is that they don't list a THD rating. Does anyone else find that disturbing?
I'm more interested in SQ than anything else.

Just wondering what your opinions were...

- John
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I wouldnt worry too much about specs. Xtant lists their THD at .1% which is pretty high and a very "average" 100 db SNR but yet they win SQ competitions like theyre going out of style! When you get to the high end level of Phoenix Gold, Xtant and others specs dont seem to matter. Its like they know their stuff kicks **** so they dont worry about posting accurate specs.

Phoenix Gold has been around a long time and makes some of the best amp to be had. They make amps pretty much for the competition minded so you can rest assured that whichever PG amp you snag it will be up to par with the best amps on the marekt. The Octane series are a little lower in the food chain than the Tantrum tho, they are more for the "hey look at me" crowd. The Tantrums are so freaking ugly that you know they have to sound good. ;)

Ive never heard a Hifonics amp so I cant really compare head to head. I have listened to several PG amps dating all the way back to the early 90's and can say with confidence that you wont go wrong with getting one of these. They are crystal clear and have oodles of head room.

Id consider Hifonics to be a good mid grade amp but Phoenix Gold is top shelf goods.

And just for the record, Car Audio & Electronics 2003 buyers guide issue rates THD at .02% for the Tantrum and Octane and .001% for the awesome Titanium series! Signal to Noise is 100 db for the Octane and a hearty 110 db for the Tantrum and Titanium!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I wouldn't rate PG that high. They aren't high end. The real high end stuff eclipses PG in all aspects. They are middle-of-the-road amps also, just at the high end of that middle-of-the-road area.

As far as Hifonics, back in the early 90's Hifonics was the bane of PG and stole a few competitions from them. Hifonics makes quality stuff with rock solid performance. I've used several Hifonics amps over the years, my most recent being a Zeus Z800 and I have yet to be dissappointed by performance. They are clean, reliable and powerful. Some specs are lacking but my ears can't tell. I'm positive that there are better amps out there but I'd rank Hifonics on par with PG easily.

The Nemesis line is thier lowest line aside from the Apollo line but I don't think they make the Apollo line anymore. The Nemesis line will compare easily to the Tantrum line from PG. The next level up is the Zeus line which is what has thier heavy hitter D-class Hercules, Brutus and Colossus amps which have impressive power levels at extreme operating conditions. The highest line is teh Gen-XI amps and they are just flat out performers. They can be hard to find though because not everyone carries them.

Bottom line, Hifonics or PG, you can't go wrong with either one of them. You choices are basically down to price, dimension and asthetics because the two companies are on equal footing and staring each other in the face. Just pick one and I highly doubt that you will be disappointed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    Options
    If I could "redo" my system, I'd dump my Fosgates and go with Hifonics. PG makes some good amps, but price wise, Hifonics has 'em beat. Check out www.acaraudio.com , they have hifonics amps for CHEAP
    muy bueno amps
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I have noticed you guys think awful highly of Hifonics. I admit Ive heard nothing but good things about them.

I wish there was a dealer nearby. Id love to go check em out. Their dealer locator has been "coming soon" for about 6 months now and Ive emailed them several times and even called them and no luck. They must be doing pretty good that they dont have to tell people where to go to buy their products! LOL

I guess it doesnt matter though, hell you guys have almost got me talked into going with them even without hearing them (assuming I can find one ;))!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2004
    Options
    yup, i like 'em a lot
    the best mid-grade stuff there is IMO
    stuff i usually recommend...
    low-grade:
    us acoustics
    mid-grade:
    hifonics
    mid-high grade:
    USAmps
    high end:
    TruTech
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm still undecided, especially now that I am sure they are both good quality. Once I install my setup, i'll let you guys know how it turned out.

- John
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Gringo
    Gringo Posts: 61
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Ok i might sound like an idiot here.....but recently i purchased a hifonics zues 7500....and i purchased a lot of other equipment to upgrade my entire car audio install. When i went to install my amp, i finally realized that it doesnt mount like a normal amp. Now, whether im missing screws that came with the amp(I may have misplaced them cause i was so pumped with my new purchases), or im an idiot and dont understand how this thing mounts. THe other 5 amps ive owned have all had screwholes at the bottom of the amp, but the zeus has something called HSMD - Hifonics Surface Mount Design. Ive read through the instruction manual like 43 times and havent found anything on it. The website also lacks info. So if anyone has any advice on what the heck you do, or to tell me if im missing screws or brackets or something, please help. I may have just misplaced the screws, but id like to know if i should be looking for them or not.

Thanks, Mike
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Fronts: Polk Rti-70s
    Center: Polk Csi-40
    Surrounds: Polk Fxi-50s
    Sub: SvS 20-39pci
    Sony 36inch HdTv
    Denon DvD-2200 Sacd/Dvd-a