My car was stolen from my driveway earlier today.

headrottheadrott Posts: 5,437
edited December 2014 in The Clubhouse
So, I woke up at about 4:30 A.M. and made some coffe, listened to Glen Beck, and ate some breakfast. At about 8:30 A.M. I walked out to my driveway to get into my Honda CRX and behold, it's not there! WTF!? Was my first thought? Someone stole my 1988 Honda CRX!? When it was parked in my driveway, no less! I have no idea what time they did this (for certain). I had it locked, and there was no broken glass in the driveway. Someone had a slim jim, or some other "tool" to break into the car. I am not sure how they started it, however.

I immediately called the police and put in a stolen vehicle report. I also called owrk to let them know I wouldn't make it in on time since my car was stolen.

I am still stunned that someone would steal a 1988 Honda CRX! There are many other cars worth a hell of a lot more than my CRX. It's not tricked out with an upgraded engine, etc. It is extremely well maintained and runs extremely well getting about 39 MPG (in town). But the car itself isn't worth much. I have an old Alpine 7525 Cassette/CD changer controller installed in it (thankfully the CD changer wasn't in the car. Along with the Polk speakers may have been worth $120.00 (and that's probably pushing it).

Why steal this vehicle? WTF!? Peoples' actions are getting more and more unbelievable as time goes by! I am hoping the police (and/or all the friends I have notified) will find the car (in good shape) and the idiots will be prosecuted fully.

Watch your things/yourselves; it's getting crazy out there.............
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
Post edited by KennethSwauger on

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,704
    Holy Batman, that sucks!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,095
    I saw the thread title, and thought this was a PFB thread. :)

Look at the bright side, now you have an excuse to get a new car. Good luck.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrottheadrott Posts: 5,437
    F1nut wrote: »
    Holy Batman, that sucks!!!

Yes it does Jesse.
    BlueFox wrote: »

Look at the bright side, now you have an excuse to get a new car. Good luck.

LOL! Just as likely I guess........

The only reason I kept the 1988 Honda CRX is that it runs very well, and it get's phenominal gas miliage without being a hybrid vehicle. You literally cannot get a new vehicle that gets as good a gas miliage as the Honda CRX.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SeaSea Posts: 319
    Wow! Sorry.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,437
    That does suck. Either someone took it for a joyride, or there are specific parts for that model that are valuable on the used parts market.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • pumpkinmanpumpkinman Posts: 7,371
    Sorry man. It's a crazy world for sure.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Sorry to hear. I have been thinking of putting a concealed kill switch on mine. I think i read somewhere that Honda's are desirable to car thieves.
  • drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,368
    Sorry for your misfortune Greg. Sounds like a pro job. Hope they find it in one piece and that you were insured against theft.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • thsmiththsmith Posts: 6,092
    If it is a CRX SI they are highly sought after. Not hard to steal at all either. I bet you find it totally stripped or not at all.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,377
    Wow that stinks. Hope they find it & catch the thief
    Randy / Maine
    SDA-CRS+ 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Stands w/Polk Logo & Spiked nicely
    RTA15TL 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Gloss tops shine. Spiked nicely
    Cs1000p-Yamaha-Parasound-Acurus
    MIT speaker cables-Pangea powercords
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    BlueFox wrote: »

literally looked to see who started this thread when I saw the title because I thought the exact same thing! haha
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,445
    Man that sucks. Honda's are high on the thieves list though. Taken out of the driveway though, that's ballsy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • chumliechumlie Posts: 8,603
    I know that feeling. Same car twice out of my driveway. They found it the second time about a year later. Not worth the money or effort to pick it up at the impound lot. Yaeh, you have to pay the impound for towing and storage, Good luck.
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 5,184
    Sorry about that man. Sucks big time.

I remember my dads old yellow truck got stolen when I was a kid. They somehow found it in Florida (we live in Wisconsin), but it was totaled.
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado Gold
    Integrated Amplifier - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II
    CD: Cambridge Audio
    Speakers - SDA 2A; Epos Epic 2
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,678
    I hope you're in GOOD HANDS.
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,128
    Check the backyard.....I've made that mistake once :)
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Senn's MD HD600
    That only happens to me when I'm looking for my glasses or my pencil. Then I scratch my head, and voila.
  • You did set the parking break...right?
    My mom let my dad's truck roll down the hill and into the woods once, because she left the pickup out of gear, not knowing any better.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,445
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Check the backyard.....I've made that mistake once :)

I've got to hear more on that one....lol.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    I moved a coworkers car to the other side of the parking lot because I had a key that started his car. He almost went crazy trying to figure out how that happened. I never told him the truth.
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,128
    It was a simple, being intoxicated story. We took my truck into the woods for firewood to make a pit in the backyard, unloaded out back , had a fire and finally went inside to pass out. Woke up freaking the f-bomb out while my wife laughed. Told me to look out back.....
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Senn's MD HD600
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,212
    Sorry you had to experience that. A relative had a similar experience years back. When they found the car, the front suspension was broke in multiple places, hole in the oil pan, car was just trashed out. Never knew thieves would steal a Z28 to jump ramps or whatever they bounced over.
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 4,890
    In high school I had a car with a busted ignition lock.
    I came out of a store and found it missing from where I'd parked it.
    About the same time I was freaking out, I hear the screech of brakes.
    One of my pals was in the passenger seat waving me over. He decided
    that he was going to teach the Swedish exchange student how to drive.
    He took mine because his had a stick. He immediately handed me a beer and motioned me into the back seat. I really didn't know what to say.
    The Swedish girl was a looker, and they had BEER. So she drove around about an hour while we drank. Imagine the horror that would generate in today's world.
    It was a very small town, so not many cars around.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,124
    I smell a sequel brewing....

MV5BMTg4ODcxOTgyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI0NTI1MQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg
  • billbillwbillbillw Posts: 5,820
    That sucks. Older Honda cars are worth a lot for the parts. Also, the older cars are much easier to steal. Newer cars with the RIFD chips in the keys are much harder for a casual thief to steal.
    Main 2-ch:
    Sony SS-M9; LSA Statement Amplifier; VPI HW-19 Mk3/Sumiko Premier FT-4/Audio Technica AT15SA; Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono; Sony SCD-C333ES SACD Changer; TEAC UD-301 DAC; Dell/WYSE 5010 (running Daphile); Sony ST-SA5ES Tuner; Nanotec Golden Strada speaker cables (SR+#79 Shotgun); Audioquest Coral interconnects
  • fjo0gxcwtuvp.jpg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • OleBootOleBoot Posts: 530
    Hadn't been on here for a while, so just read this, and couldn't believe it. Yesterday I took my much beloved, member of the family, '96 Acura Integra GSR (a car much in the same vein as Headrott's CRX) into a local auto shop for an inspection and an oil and filter change, and because I was losing clutch fluid. They call back and tell me that the clutch master cylinder is leaking, and they can get the part in this morning, so I said go ahead with the repair and left the car there. At around 1:30pm today the business owner, who I have never talked to or met, even though we have used this shop a couple of times in the past, calls and says "So where'e your Integra at?" I say "What, you've got it !!". He asks me if I or a family member picked it up and I say no, and he says he'll call me back. Calls me back and says their security camera caught my car being driven off at 1:30am, and again asks if a family member has picked it up - like it was my fault. He swore it was locked, and said he hopes I am insured as it's not his problem.

My wife and I put a "Back in One Hour" sign on the front door of our business, and drive there, and a PA State Trooper is there already. He was a really good guy, and got them to show us the security video. Couldn't see much with the low res and it being dark, but if the car was locked, I'm the Pope. Walked straight up and got in. Then about 30 seconds (about right), and the lights went on and he drove off. No glass in the parking space, BTW. So we finish up giving the our details to the State Trooper, and the business owner says (seriously) "I'll send you a bill for the work we did yesterday".

The mind boggles.
  • cnhcnh Posts: 13,310
    edited December 2014
    That pretty much S-U-C-K-S! The first question I would have is WHERE do you live? I mean, after all, when I lived in Manhattan getting your car stolen or broken into if it was left on the street was probably going to happen sooner or later!

Up here, I'd be STUNNED if a car sitting in my driveway unlocked ever went anywhere.

As said above, you'd be surprised what they steal for parts. I lost a late '70s corolla wagon in the late '80s. It was a classic Catch 22. I reported it stolen in my Precinct and four days later I got a call from someone in the Bronx asking me if I owned this car because the POLICE had ticketed it FOUR times for PARKING violations without ever ONCE checking to see what the status of the car was (reported "stolen", that is).

So I went up to 210th st. with a friend and pushed the car around the corner. It was only missing a battery which was conveniently available at the garage around the corner.

I then tried reporting my car FOUND to the Precinct in the Bronx and they told me I would have to go to the Precinct I'd filed the original report in. I returned there, and, you guessed it, they said; you can't report it FOUND here because you FOUND IT IN THE BRONX. This went on for a day or two and I just gave up and drove around in a stolen car that belonged to "me". lol NYPD in the '80s. You have to love it!

Hope your insurance company resolves this to your advantage?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,377
    edited December 2014
    That is ****** crazy. I wouldnt pay him ****
    Randy / Maine
    SDA-CRS+ 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Stands w/Polk Logo & Spiked nicely
    RTA15TL 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Gloss tops shine. Spiked nicely
    Cs1000p-Yamaha-Parasound-Acurus
    MIT speaker cables-Pangea powercords