My car was stolen from my driveway earlier today.

headrott
headrott Posts: 5,484
edited December 2014 in The Clubhouse
So, I woke up at about 4:30 A.M. and made some coffe, listened to Glen Beck, and ate some breakfast. At about 8:30 A.M. I walked out to my driveway to get into my Honda CRX and behold, it's not there! WTF!? Was my first thought? Someone stole my 1988 Honda CRX!? When it was parked in my driveway, no less! I have no idea what time they did this (for certain). I had it locked, and there was no broken glass in the driveway. Someone had a slim jim, or some other "tool" to break into the car. I am not sure how they started it, however.

I immediately called the police and put in a stolen vehicle report. I also called owrk to let them know I wouldn't make it in on time since my car was stolen.

I am still stunned that someone would steal a 1988 Honda CRX! There are many other cars worth a hell of a lot more than my CRX. It's not tricked out with an upgraded engine, etc. It is extremely well maintained and runs extremely well getting about 39 MPG (in town). But the car itself isn't worth much. I have an old Alpine 7525 Cassette/CD changer controller installed in it (thankfully the CD changer wasn't in the car. Along with the Polk speakers may have been worth $120.00 (and that's probably pushing it).

Why steal this vehicle? WTF!? Peoples' actions are getting more and more unbelievable as time goes by! I am hoping the police (and/or all the friends I have notified) will find the car (in good shape) and the idiots will be prosecuted fully.

Watch your things/yourselves; it's getting crazy out there.............
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Holy Batman, that sucks!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I saw the thread title, and thought this was a PFB thread. :)

Look at the bright side, now you have an excuse to get a new car. Good luck.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    F1nut wrote: »
    Holy Batman, that sucks!!!

Yes it does Jesse.
    BlueFox wrote: »

Look at the bright side, now you have an excuse to get a new car. Good luck.

LOL! Just as likely I guess........

The only reason I kept the 1988 Honda CRX is that it runs very well, and it get's phenominal gas miliage without being a hybrid vehicle. You literally cannot get a new vehicle that gets as good a gas miliage as the Honda CRX.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    Wow! Sorry.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    That does suck. Either someone took it for a joyride, or there are specific parts for that model that are valuable on the used parts market.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    Sorry man. It's a crazy world for sure.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Sorry to hear. I have been thinking of putting a concealed kill switch on mine. I think i read somewhere that Honda's are desirable to car thieves.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Sorry for your misfortune Greg. Sounds like a pro job. Hope they find it in one piece and that you were insured against theft.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    If it is a CRX SI they are highly sought after. Not hard to steal at all either. I bet you find it totally stripped or not at all.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Wow that stinks. Hope they find it & catch the thief
    Randy/Maine
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    BlueFox wrote: »

literally looked to see who started this thread when I saw the title because I thought the exact same thing! haha
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Man that sucks. Honda's are high on the thieves list though. Taken out of the driveway though, that's ballsy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    I know that feeling. Same car twice out of my driveway. They found it the second time about a year later. Not worth the money or effort to pick it up at the impound lot. Yaeh, you have to pay the impound for towing and storage, Good luck.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Sorry about that man. Sucks big time.

I remember my dads old yellow truck got stolen when I was a kid. They somehow found it in Florida (we live in Wisconsin), but it was totaled.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Really sorry to hear it. I am not fun to be around when my car
    is not running right. I would be fit to be tied. I didn't look it
    up but the has got to be the most stolen car even if it is old.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Check the backyard.....I've made that mistake once :)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • You did set the parking break...right?
    My mom let my dad's truck roll down the hill and into the woods once, because she left the pickup out of gear, not knowing any better.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • tonyb
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Check the backyard.....I've made that mistake once :)

I've got to hear more on that one....lol.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    It was a simple, being intoxicated story. We took my truck into the woods for firewood to make a pit in the backyard, unloaded out back , had a fire and finally went inside to pass out. Woke up freaking the f-bomb out while my wife laughed. Told me to look out back.....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Sorry you had to experience that. A relative had a similar experience years back. When they found the car, the front suspension was broke in multiple places, hole in the oil pan, car was just trashed out. Never knew thieves would steal a Z28 to jump ramps or whatever they bounced over.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    In high school I had a car with a busted ignition lock.
    I came out of a store and found it missing from where I'd parked it.
    About the same time I was freaking out, I hear the screech of brakes.
    One of my pals was in the passenger seat waving me over. He decided
    that he was going to teach the Swedish exchange student how to drive.
    He took mine because his had a stick. He immediately handed me a beer and motioned me into the back seat. I really didn't know what to say.
    The Swedish girl was a looker, and they had BEER. So she drove around about an hour while we drank. Imagine the horror that would generate in today's world.
    It was a very small town, so not many cars around.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    That sucks. Older Honda cars are worth a lot for the parts. Also, the older cars are much easier to steal. Newer cars with the RIFD chips in the keys are much harder for a casual thief to steal.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • fjo0gxcwtuvp.jpg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    Hadn't been on here for a while, so just read this, and couldn't believe it. Yesterday I took my much beloved, member of the family, '96 Acura Integra GSR (a car much in the same vein as Headrott's CRX) into a local auto shop for an inspection and an oil and filter change, and because I was losing clutch fluid. They call back and tell me that the clutch master cylinder is leaking, and they can get the part in this morning, so I said go ahead with the repair and left the car there. At around 1:30pm today the business owner, who I have never talked to or met, even though we have used this shop a couple of times in the past, calls and says "So where'e your Integra at?" I say "What, you've got it !!". He asks me if I or a family member picked it up and I say no, and he says he'll call me back. Calls me back and says their security camera caught my car being driven off at 1:30am, and again asks if a family member has picked it up - like it was my fault. He swore it was locked, and said he hopes I am insured as it's not his problem.

My wife and I put a "Back in One Hour" sign on the front door of our business, and drive there, and a PA State Trooper is there already. He was a really good guy, and got them to show us the security video. Couldn't see much with the low res and it being dark, but if the car was locked, I'm the Pope. Walked straight up and got in. Then about 30 seconds (about right), and the lights went on and he drove off. No glass in the parking space, BTW. So we finish up giving the our details to the State Trooper, and the business owner says (seriously) "I'll send you a bill for the work we did yesterday".

The mind boggles.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2014
    That pretty much S-U-C-K-S! The first question I would have is WHERE do you live? I mean, after all, when I lived in Manhattan getting your car stolen or broken into if it was left on the street was probably going to happen sooner or later!

Up here, I'd be STUNNED if a car sitting in my driveway unlocked ever went anywhere.

As said above, you'd be surprised what they steal for parts. I lost a late '70s corolla wagon in the late '80s. It was a classic Catch 22. I reported it stolen in my Precinct and four days later I got a call from someone in the Bronx asking me if I owned this car because the POLICE had ticketed it FOUR times for PARKING violations without ever ONCE checking to see what the status of the car was (reported "stolen", that is).

So I went up to 210th st. with a friend and pushed the car around the corner. It was only missing a battery which was conveniently available at the garage around the corner.

I then tried reporting my car FOUND to the Precinct in the Bronx and they told me I would have to go to the Precinct I'd filed the original report in. I returned there, and, you guessed it, they said; you can't report it FOUND here because you FOUND IT IN THE BRONX. This went on for a day or two and I just gave up and drove around in a stolen car that belonged to "me". lol NYPD in the '80s. You have to love it!

Hope your insurance company resolves this to your advantage?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited December 2014
    That is ****** crazy. I wouldnt pay him ****
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    Wow, crazy stuff. 2 stolen cars ?? As long as your Acura was in the care of the shop, they should be responsible for it's safety. The insurance companies will hammer it out though with no cost to you and no increase in premiums. Best look up bluebook value, only thing is they now have a record of repairs needed and may subtract that from the value. Yeah, insurance companies are like that.

CNH,
    Cool story....except I think the NYC police dept. hasn't changed much since then.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • OleBoot
    Apparently, as long as the car wasn't inside their premises (the parking lot being outside), then it is my insurance that covers it, not theirs.

I am more upset by the auto shop owners arsehole attitude and the fact that this car had sentimental value. First car I bought on coming to the US, and thought it would also be the last I drove. 18 years old and only 70,000 miles.
  • OleBoot
    DSkip wrote: »
    If they parked it there, that should be on them. It's obciously in their care if they were the last to drive it.

Not what State Farm told me, although I like your logic more.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited December 2014
    headritt,

I'm sorry for your loss. As many others have said, older cars that are well cared for are targets for thieves who know they can part-out the car and move the parts very quickly. Odds are that these thieves had their eyes out for a car like yours and took advantage of the opportunity to steal it as soon as they identified it. They probably had it in pieces before you made your phone call to tell your employer you would be late.

Again, I'm sorry.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.