My car was stolen from my driveway earlier today.

Options
2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Sounds to me like State Farm is taking the easy way out, they don't want to have that fight. The parking lot is owned by the shop I take it ? They have to have insurance on the lot. Matter of fact their whole business insurance should include the whole property, including the lot.

This tells me the value of the car isn't worth the fight to them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    Hadn't been on here for a while, so just read this, and couldn't believe it. Yesterday I took my much beloved, member of the family, '96 Acura Integra GSR (a car much in the same vein as Headrott's CRX) into a local auto shop for an inspection and an oil and filter change, and because I was losing clutch fluid. They call back and tell me that the clutch master cylinder is leaking, and they can get the part in this morning, so I said go ahead with the repair and left the car there. At around 1:30pm today the business owner, who I have never talked to or met, even though we have used this shop a couple of times in the past, calls and says "So where'e your Integra at?" I say "What, you've got it !!". He asks me if I or a family member picked it up and I say no, and he says he'll call me back. Calls me back and says their security camera caught my car being driven off at 1:30am, and again asks if a family member has picked it up - like it was my fault. He swore it was locked, and said he hopes I am insured as it's not his problem.

My wife and I put a "Back in One Hour" sign on the front door of our business, and drive there, and a PA State Trooper is there already. He was a really good guy, and got them to show us the security video. Couldn't see much with the low res and it being dark, but if the car was locked, I'm the Pope. Walked straight up and got in. Then about 30 seconds (about right), and the lights went on and he drove off. No glass in the parking space, BTW. So we finish up giving the our details to the State Trooper, and the business owner says (seriously) "I'll send you a bill for the work we did yesterday".

The mind boggles.

I definitely would not pay him. I would consult an attorney about his liability. Shops are fond of putting up signs/ making statements absolving them of any responsibility for all kinds of stuff, but it doesn't make it so. Tony may be right about your insurance company not wanting to be hassled with this.

Good luck!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    Options
    So we finish up giving the our details to the State Trooper, and the business owner says (seriously) "I'll send you a bill for the work we did yesterday".

The mind boggles.

Tell him you will be happy to pay him, as soon as he shows you the work he performed...

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,107
    Options
    "I definitely would not pay him. I would consult an attorney about his liability. Shops are fond of putting up signs/ making statements absolving them of any responsibility for all kinds of stuff, but it doesn't make it so. Tony may be right about your insurance company not wanting to be hassled with this.

Good luck!"

Thanks. My attorney's getting a call Monday as it was too late yesterday after I had got off the phone with the insurance company. I also have a couple of customers in the insurance business, and will solicit their views. It's not the money - the car was only worth $3k at the most - I was just so mad at the guy's attitude whatever the legal/insurance realities are.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,107
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    So we finish up giving the our details to the State Trooper, and the business owner says (seriously) "I'll send you a bill for the work we did yesterday".

The mind boggles.

Tell him you will be happy to pay him, as soon as he shows you the work he performed...

LOL ! That's exactly what my wife said last night. First good laugh I had all day.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I suspect that some one got hold of a master key for the Honda and went on the prowl. Many car thieves do this and they probably saw your Honda and just unlocked it and drove it away.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    I had a ford torino that got lost one time at the dealership, they finally found it drying in the paint booth. Pretty funny because it was there for a mechanical problem.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I had a neighbor who lived across the street from me when I lived up in Northern Virginia, North Springfield to be exact. He had this bad to the bone '65 Corvette convertible parked inside his garage. That car was near mint and was definitely pleasing to the eye.

So he comes out one day, opens the garage door and starts looking around. This peaked my curiosity, so I walked over. Turns out that thieves somehow broke into the locked garage door (still baffled 'till today on how they did that) and stole the Corvette sometime overnight, right below their bedroom! Our guess was that it was a pro job....had to have been.

Anyhoo, my neighbor traveled to and from Canada about 4 times a year to visit family. A couple of months later, he's driving down some street in New York and he spots a Corvette that looked just like his. He walks up to it, leans over and puts the key into the ignition. It cranked right up.....it was his car!

So, he stole it back. Luckily for him, whoever stole it took real good care of it and it only added a few thousand miles to it. If he wasn't up in New York on that day, on that street and at that exact moment in time, he may not have ever seen his Corvette again.

They never had a second chance to get it again. He ended up putting a car alarm on it and he also installed a whole house alarm system that included the garage door.

What's weird is that not many people knew it was even in the garage because he usually kept it covered and rarely left the garage door open for more than 5 minutes at a time. There was also a DeLorean parked three doors down, not in a garage. They left that one alone and went for the Corvette. They had to have either known him or they had been staking out the place for some time.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Back in those days ("the rusty old days," as my son used to say) GM cars did not actually have many variations on their keys. As I recall, it was around 10 or less. I grew up in a GM town, and when you locked your keys in your car, you just asked everybody who walked by to try their key in your door! This often solved the problem relatively quickly in, say, a busy grocery store lot on Saturday morning.

In other words, there was a one-in-ten chance that any GM key would fit any GM car. Hence, it might just be that the Corvette found in NYC was just another Corvette, not the stolen one.

You have to ask, "Which odds are steeper: Finding his car on the street in the Big Apple or a one-in-ten chance that his key fit an identical Corvette that just happened to be parked there at that time?"

I'm sure he had other ways to ID his 'Vette, however.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    He did.....and it was definitely his. The only thing he never found was the tag.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    I think he liked that one better thats all :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    Options
    Like a few have mentioned, Civics, CRX, and Integras are sought after very much. I have a friend that collects them in Arizona. SI models are the preferred choice and many of these guys like to take Integra engines and put them into the Civic or CRX. They know which engines will swap without a lot of modification and the ECU to make them run like in the donor car. Chances are someone at the shop may like these cars or knows someone who does. My brother also lost a '95 Civic SI to thieves. It was late in the afternoon that he realized it was gone. That was about 3 years ago. No sign of it yet and he probably will never see it again. He had done a lot of modifications to it and was a tight wad that he chose liabiltiy insurance only. He was in his early 20s so I cant blame him too much but he did know that Civics are highly sought after. He's now driving a Celica and still misses his Civic.