I may be out of my league....

Options
Pastor Bill
Pastor Bill Posts: 130
edited August 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
Howdy:

While on a mission to purchase some vegan dog food (one of the dogs has a flesh protein allergy), on a lark, I stopped by the magazine rack in Books-A-Million. After a diligent search, I picked up a copy of Stereophile. After perusing it somewhat without joy, I was forced to acknowledge the following thought:

I am hopelessly and without redemption - Low Fi. In a world of BMWs and Lexi...I am a Nissan Versa.
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
Post edited by Pastor Bill on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Howdy:

While on a mission to purchase some vegan dog food (one of the dogs has a flesh protein allergy), on a lark, I stopped by the magazine rack in Books-A-Million. After a diligent search, I picked up a copy of Stereophile. After perusing it somewhat without joy, I was forced to acknowledge the following thought:

I am hopelessly and without redemption - Low Fi. In a world of BMWs and Lexi...I am a Nissan Versa.

LOL... I think most of us are there.

In the end these are the words to live by:

"As long as it sounds good to you".

Personally I'd love to live in a 5 mill mansion, but it aint gonna happen... but I am satisfied with my 130k house (just wish it had a friggin basement), so who cares...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Howdy:

Don't sweat it man. Good sound can be had at any level and that's a fact. These HI-FI magazines serve the purpose of driving interests for the more well to do crowd. 50-100K speakers....20k preamps....10k dacs, yeah not aimed at your average consumer. Kinda like looking at 50 foot Yachts while your out on your Jon boat hooking some pan fish.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Pastor Bill
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have less than $700 wrapped up in my system...even with the recent "rebuild" of the speakers. I think it sounds "fair to middlin' good" despite the low price. But the "sticker shock" that is inspired by what is out there now...well, that's almost "special."
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I have less than $700 wrapped up in my system...even with the recent "rebuild" of the speakers. I think it sounds "fair to middlin' good" despite the low price. But the "sticker shock" that is inspired by what is out there now...well, that's almost "special."

Eh, I've got about 1100 wrapped up in my 2 channel system (if I only had one set of speakers it would be about ~900), but is sure dont look like thats all I spent lol....... Buying used and waiting can score you some decent deals.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited August 2014
    Options

Different folks have different priorities. One guy may spend $10k on a pair of speakers. You, on the other hand, may give that same $10k to several different struggling ministries. In the final analysis, all that matters is that you like the sound of your gear. In an earlier post, I wrote that I almost hung my head in shame when I looked at my gear and looked at the gear that some of the gear that guys in Club Polk have. I don't do that anymore. While mine may not be the best, it is good enough for me. It is nice, however, to look at some of the stuff that is available out there.
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I don't get the 'hate' for Stereophile - a subscription is dirt cheap, I like the articles and music reviews...and while most of the test reports are on stuff I can't afford(still interesting to read), there is coverage to lower cost gear and even Polk speakers (a good review of the RTiA1s for example).

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Pastor Bill, my advice, if you have a bird, is to line the bottom or the cage with the Stereophile magazine. It's much more absorbent than plain newspaper.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Your in the perfect league cause your here. Talk about league stuff, I just got an education on "magnet shift" was awesome, did destroy an old speaker but well worth it.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Yea I'm a firm believer that the media sell a dream. That is their job. No matter what hobby. I like the way my systems are sounding. IDC if it only cost me a few hundred over thousands. I also off road. People look at it and think damn that's some money. It is but not near as much as the "media" rigs I have seen. I'm a firm believer of being patient and looking for some other sucker to buy it new. ;)
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It is for sure an affair of diminishing returns. IMO, once you have spent a few thousand, you have a rig that is as good or better than 90 or so percent of all that are out there. That last 10% would cost $100,000 or more.
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2014
    Options
    In the end, it's all about playing the music you enjoy.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Sci-fi Polk Guy
    Sci-fi Polk Guy Posts: 194
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sea wrote: »
    It is for sure an affair of diminishing returns. IMO, once you have spent a few thousand, you have a rig that is as good or better than 90 or so percent of all that are out there. That last 10% would cost $100,000 or more.

That's so true. But, it is the pursuit of perfection that makes this audio thing so interesting.
    Paradigm 11seMkIII mains, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Paradigm CC 450 center, w/ Zu Audio jumpers
    Polk Audio RTi6 surrounds
    Paradigm SE sub
    Sony BDP S5100 blu-ray player
    Panasonic 50" plasma
    Yamaha RX A1000 receiver
    Parasound HCA 1205A amp
    Audioquest Evergreen IC's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2014
    Options
    It's all "diminishing returns" after a certain point. Some audiophiles in their 50s and 60s can't even HEAR what they are babbling about when it comes to their super Hi-End system (I just spent a day with one a while back--and the BS was piled high and dry). I could bring in a 16 year old who would embarrass them! lol They live in a wonderfully glorious "past" where all those unbelievably subtle and supersonic tweaks could be heard for perhaps 5-10 years of one's life.

You can build a GREAT system, as Dskip mentions above, for a reasonable price and be assured that you're not just 90 but probably more than 95 percent there. And besides, their your ears.

I got to spend an entire day in Tokyo at a dealer (a number of years ago) who had one floor of systems, none of which was less than 50K. And some a LOT MORE!

Were they impressive? Well SOME were and SOME WERE "NOT"! And even the best of the best would not have convinced me to drop 6 or more figures even if I could. Yeah they sounded wonderful, but 250K-500K++? Really? lol

I'm happy to listen to the HI-End and live a life of Mid-fi (it's pretty good down here with the plebes, I'd say!).

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    I don't get the 'hate' for Stereophile - a subscription is dirt cheap, I like the articles and music reviews...and while most of the test reports are on stuff I can't afford(still interesting to read), there is coverage to lower cost gear and even Polk speakers (a good review of the RTiA1s for example).

I don't think it's hate. More like distrust. A magazine makes it's money from two places - subscriptions and advertising. Stereophile publishes reviews of products, the manufacturers of which purchase advertising in the magazine. Right off the bat, I don't trust the reviews for this reason. A magazine like this only does well if the world of hi-end audio does well. The world of hi-end audio only does well if people want to buy hi-end components. A lot more hi-end components will sell if they are positively reviewed. It's far too incestuous for me to consider impartial.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Ditto on that.

I just threw a set of old Realistic MC200's into the mix, certainly not worth big coin or perfect flow but the joy of different sounds.
    Priceless..
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    In the end, it's all about playing the music you enjoy.
  • Sea
    Sea Posts: 317
    edited August 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    It's all "diminishing returns" after a certain point. Some audiophiles in their 50s and 60s can't even HEAR what they are babbling about........

Oh my. My 55 year old toes have just been stepped on! Lol
    Main-Carver TFM35(2),Carver C11 ,Carver SD/A 360 CD,Carver TX11 ,Grace Digital Tuner, Pioneer PL707 TT,Polk SDA1C
    Downstairs -Carver M1.5t, Carver C1 Pre, Carver TX10 Tuner, Carver TL3200 CD Player, Dual 1009 TT,Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl
    Study - Carver AV634 Amp, Carver CT7 Pre, Carver DTL50 CD Player, Polk RTA12c
  • cnh
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Sea wrote: »
    Oh my. My 55 year old toes have just been stepped on! Lol

Mine too, my daughter is 16 and can hear things coming out of my speakers I cannot. What am I to do, pretend I can still hear what I can't? lol

That does NOT mean I can't tell what sounds better or worse. But that a little humility might be necessary, now and then?

cnh

• Pastor Bill
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I played the trombone for many years so my hearing and tone differentiation was probably better than average. Carefully note however, that I said "was." Years of loud band music, years of rock concerts (I wasn't always in the ministry) factory work and motorcycling have more than likely taken a toll on my almost 59 year old ears.

I don't even need to pull my toes in!

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Good post, cnh. Couldn't have said it better myself, 'cept I would have said "they're" rather than "their" - "they're your ears".

Heh-heh. ;-)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2014
    Options
    High end equipment pricing is going through the roof. A couple years ago Manley almost doubled their prices overnight. I don't blame them because they were selling for a few thousand what other manufacturers were selling for up to $20K.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Howdy:

In keeping with your car analogy, I don't like my "ordinary" car and truck any less after reading about a $100,000 Porsche, Jag, BMW, or Benz. My ordinary car and truck are dependable, comfortable, and well suited for transportation, but I also enjoy reading about state-of-the-art, high performance automobiles. Even though most of us don't buy high end luxury vehicles, a lot of high end automotive technology, like anti-lock brakes and power windows, has trickled down to become common features in mass market automobiles. Likewise, many of the audio performance features we take for granted were pioneered in high end audio.

I had been an audio hobbyist for many years before I decided to invest in a high end audio system. The education I gained from Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, and other audio magazines helped me to become a better educated consumer.
    After a diligent search, I picked up a copy of Stereophile. After perusing it somewhat without joy, ...

I assume that people who think this way will peruse a copy of Playboy or the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated, find no joy in them, and then be forced to acknowledge that they are hopelessly without redemption because their significant other is not in the same league as the "hot models" in those magazines. :wink:
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • cnh
    edited August 2014
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Good post, cnh. Couldn't have said it better myself, 'cept I would have said "they're" rather than "their" - "they're your ears".

Heh-heh. ;-)

You're right. Or should I've written "your"? It's incredible what skills some people have and which ones never get better. I've typed 1000s and 1000s of pages in my life and I'm still a mediocre typist! lol Always having to proof whatever comes out and never having enough patience to on forum sites.

cnh

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2014
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    High end equipment pricing is going through the roof. A couple years ago Manley almost doubled their prices overnight. I don't blame them because they were selling for a few thousand what other manufacturers were selling for up to $20K.

MIT did the same thing, but it is a gimmick to make consumers think they are getting a deal when their vendor gives them a big discount. While I love my MIT Shotgun S1.3 XLR interconnects, I probably will never buy another MIT cable again due to that type of chicanery.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Pastor Bill
    edited August 2014
    Options
    In keeping with your car analogy, I don't like my "ordinary" car and truck any less after reading about a $100,000 Porsche, Jag, BMW, or Benz. My ordinary car and truck are dependable, comfortable, and well suited for transportation, but I also enjoy reading about state-of-the-art, high performance automobiles. Even though most of us don't buy high end luxury vehicles, a lot of high end automotive technology, like anti-lock brakes and power windows, has trickled down to become common features in mass market automobiles. Likewise, many of the audio performance features we take for granted were pioneered in high end audio.

I had been an audio hobbyist for many years before I decided to invest in a high end audio system. The education I gained from Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, and other audio magazines helped me to become a better educated consumer.

I assume that people who think this way will peruse a copy of Playboy or the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated, find no joy in them, and then be forced to acknowledge that they are hopelessly without redemption because their significant other is not in the same league as the "hot models" in those magazines. :wink:

Well, neither of those well known publications find a place in my current reading...but my bride is still #1 in my eyes. Didn't marry her for her looks, (that was just a pleasant perk) I married her for her mind. :smile:

I also weight train...and for years was BADLY in need of weight training. (Think skinny kid in Charles Atlas ad) I felt the same thing when viewing the steroid fueled bodies in the magazines. Now that I've realized the part that pharmaceuticals play in their transformation...I no longer feel bad.

I am enjoying all the responses and points of view, though.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2014
    Options
    What’s reasonable depends on your financial situation. I’m 60 and can fully appreciate the investment I’ve made in my system. Key word I’ve. I bought it with money I’ve earned. Also have excellent hearing for my age per the hearing test results I have.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Lan077
    Lan077 Posts: 31
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Another one worth mentioning is Audioadvisor, anyone get that catalogue? A bunch of phony pictures with supposed customer "quotes" on how a $400 power cable made their system sound more spacious, provided deeper bass, and lifted a veil, etc. Here are a couple examples since I got a copy right here...

"I have cleaner sound with more layering and depth to the music compared to the stock power cord. Certainly the Pangea is a great value!" -Bob J, WA

"These exceptionally well made, low priced power cables beat the sonic alchemy of my $4,000 high end power cords! I am astounded by their dynamic, organic and grain free presentation." -Dave B, PA

Notice how they won't name the brand of the $4000 cable....lol. Got to be careful not to step on toes.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Speaking of the Absolute Sound, mine arrived today. Actually, the tear off cover page saying my subscription expires next month arrived. Apparently, some post office low-life tore the cover off, kept the magazine, and let the cover be delivered to my house.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I go to shows and demo's. I am just as impressed with some of the sub 2K systems as I am 50K systems. I have some nice pieces in my house but my Polk TL3's and Polk 110sub powered and streamed with my Sonos amp actually gets used the most at my desk top rig.

Couple of examples at shows and show rooms:

RMAF last year was the PSB mini's with a mini NAD integrated DAC combo

and a FATman integrated IPOD tube paired with Wharfedale 10.1's

both put out good

Sound is more about balance high to low end with good recordings

Have fun
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Lan077 wrote: »
    "I have cleaner sound with more layering and depth to the music compared to the stock power cord. Certainly the Pangea is a great value!" -Bob J, WA

"These exceptionally well made, low priced power cables beat the sonic alchemy of my $4,000 high end power cords! I am astounded by their dynamic, organic and grain free presentation." -Dave B, PA

I don't think Bob or Dave would lie.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited August 2014
    Options
    A Stereophile subscription is a good, cheap way (my current subscription was $7 for 12 months) to see what's going on in hifi -- the magazine has a certain... attitude... but to their credit, their hardware reviews feature an in-depth quantitative assessment as well as the "top line" review chockablock with the currently fashionable jargon extolling the equipment's virtues -- and, more often than not, couching any real criticism in ambiguous language. The latter is a classic tactic in the hifi magazines.

Having said that, it is abundantly clear that Stereophile reviews equipment at all price points -- doubt it?

Here're a few examples.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-35
    http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1007inf/
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

They cover the 'vintage' end, too...

http://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/606listening/
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-125
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-116
    http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/606eico/
    http://www.stereophile.com/historical/605fisher/