Battery vs power cable, shielding vs no shielding - my results over the years

Options
AudioTruth
AudioTruth Posts: 55
edited July 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I was going to post this in the Unreal Power cable thread, but it got closed, so I make a new thread instead.

A few years ago I compared Virtual Dynamics Judge ($50,000) against the laptop battery. The battery sounded flat, thin, grey, toned down and lifeless. The power cable sounded clearer and more detailed with much larger bass and greater 3 dimensionality.
Having good measured performance doesn't result in better sound.

I added shielding around Nordost Valhalla, it sounded grey and compressed like being choked inside a carpet. It had great measured performance (shield removed many dB of noise), but sounded absolutely horrible. The problem was that the wiring they used resulted in smearing, and the RFI entering the cable compensated for it by making it brighter. The side effect was that the microdetails were gone, which made it appear cleaner, like a field of snow covering up the textured ground. Valhalla sounded exactly like that.

Nordost Valhalla always sounded best without shielding. I placed lots of harddrives around the Valhalla and got better sound, because more noise was entering the cable.
I'm glad that no engineers are making audiophile products. You need to fine-tune audiophile products only with the ears, and throw away the tools. If a cable manufacturer claims that he's an engineer, I immediately close down that website and never go back.

I had my entire system wired with Nordost Valhalla when I was a beginner, but later switched to Virtual Dynamics Genesis which had shielding. Virtual Dynamics used metal powder dampening around the wire that made it sound brighter with a steely sound character, this way it compensated for both the blurry wire and shielding. But they did many things wrong because they used measurement tools half of the time. The hot glue they squeezed into the cable is not good for the sound. If I use one single drop of super glue on a tweak, the sound quality is reduced.
Another thing they did wrong was to use metal powder, it may have good measured performance, but it's horrible for the sound, it makes it sound too mechanical, far from real life. It's better to use crystals around the wire for the most natural sound, and instead of hot glue you use tree fibers. There is nothing more natural sounding than that, and music is supposed to sound natural. Not mechanical and lifeless like engineers do. I'm glad that most engineers are skeptics, then we won't need to endure their horrible sounding cables. The other engineers who are building cables, they should throw away their books and tools before they embarrass themselves further. The only way to build audiophile products is by ear.
Post edited by AudioTruth on

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,682
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Holy cheez-wiz Batman :lol:
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2013
    Options
    amazing how patrick shows up right after Cheezy was posting. Hmm.
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    amazing how patrick shows up right after Cheezy was posting. Hmm.
    It is more amazing that they allow the same person to post with two accounts. Logically we aren't the same person. Skeptics have problems with their logic. I live in Sweden, he lives in USA. Skeptics still think we are the same person, they believe what they want to believe and ignore the evidence. Just like with cables, there are lots of evidence that cables make a difference to the sound, but they keep ignoring that.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Talk about embarrassing yourself.....you just won first place.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Talk about embarrassing yourself.....you just won first place.
    You only say that because it makes you feel better about yourself. Almost 28000 posts about cables not making a difference? During all that time you could have had many eargasms. But instead you argue that people who get eargasms, aren't really getting them. There is a simple cure, admit you are wrong and try a cable, you will feel so much better when you get a lifetime of eargasms. It's like losing your virginity. The skeptics are the virgins and the audiophiles are the experienced ones. The virgins are telling people how to do it. Now that's embarrassing!
  • cstmar01
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Just give it a rest already Patrick. No one cares, and your stuff is really out there. Even if there was someone stupid enough to buy it (cheezy) they are wasting their time as well on this forum.

You serve nothing more than just a pointless post. There are several that like cables here and trust their ears. You are just plain crazy in your logic and its more comical than serious and people view you as that.

I'm just sick of having a person like you make the forum look bad at the useless drival that keeps getting posted about your products. I guess it was just our turn to get plagued by it but it got old fast.
  • cstmar01
    edited July 2013
    Options
    AudioTruth wrote: »
    You only say that because it makes you feel better about yourself. Almost 28000 posts about cables not making a difference? During all that time you could have had many eargasms. But instead you argue that people who get eargasms, aren't really getting them. There is a simple cure, admit you are wrong and try a cable, you will feel so much better when you get a lifetime of eargasms. It's like losing your virginity. The skeptics are the virgins and the audiophiles are the experienced ones. The virgins are telling people how to do it. Now that's embarrassing!

Do you honestly know anything about his stance on the subject? WOW you just made a total fool of yourself. Good one, keep it up.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2013
    Options

And again, you embarrass yourself like no other could. If you had the slightest clue about me you would have known that I firmly believe cables make a difference. I also firmly believe that you and the chessehead are nothing but trolls and should be banned as both of you are an embarrassment to this hobby.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Do you honestly know anything about his stance on the subject?
    Yes, after only seeing one sentence, I have had 12 years experience with audio skeptics.

WOW you just made a total fool of yourself. Good one, keep it up.
    The real fool is the one who doesn't buy expensive cables. It's like standing outside the doorway to Heaven, and not going inside. Instead you argue and yell to the people inside that they should come out. That is a fool.
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    And again, you embarrass yourself like no other could. If you had the slightest clue about me you would have known that I firmly believe cables make a difference. I also firmly believe that you and the chessehead are nothing but trolls and should be banned as both of you are an embarrassment to this hobby.
    You believe in only entry level cables that engineers made. You don't believe in true audiophile cables that are fine-tuned by ear.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Yes, after only seeing one sentence

Certainly speaks to your ignorance.
    I have had 12 years experience with audio skeptics.

I've got 43 years, you lose.

President of Club Polk

• AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Certainly speaks to your ignorance.

I've got 43 years, you lose.
    I suspect you are using MIT cables based on your response. Those are the most hardcore engineered cables. Only built by tools. No hearing.
  • cstmar01
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You believe in only entry level cables that engineers made. You don't believe in true audiophile cables that are fine-tuned by ear.

You only read one sentence how would you even know what he's using?

So because we don't buy yours, everything else is just garbage? Then why do you have to post that you will trade cables for food? Don't see that with the companies that you claim are so terrible. Pretty sure if your business is that bad, then it points to some other problems.
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You only read one sentence how would you even know what he's using?

So because we don't buy yours, everything else is just garbage? Then why do you have to post that you will trade cables for food? Don't see that with the companies that you claim are so terrible. Pretty sure if your business is that bad, then it points to some other problems.
    Because if he was using good cables, he wouldn't have been angry. Instead he is using engineered cables that engineers build with tools. If I listened to their engineered cables, I would be angry too. I remember when I used PS Audio Statement power cables, after 30 minutes it was unbearable. Very slow and muddy sound.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2013
    Options
    disbelief.gif

I can't decide if I would rather fry my Crow, or grill it?

Any suggestions??skeptical.gif

Perfect timing Patrick.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I suspect you are using MIT cables based on your response. Those are the most hardcore engineered cables. Only built by tools. No hearing.
    He is quiet and not responding, it means that I was correct, he is using MIT cables!
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Either that or he does not feed trolls.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    pepster wrote: »
    Either that or he does not feed trolls.

Look what I found in his history:
    I'd like to get your feedback on a possible new MIT cable demo/review program.

He is very likely working for MIT cables.
    I remember when I sent out my modified Nordost Valkyrja speaker cable to people to try with their headphones. I wasn't working for Nordost, I just wanted people to hear high-end cables. After test person number 2, I never saw the cable again. Oh well. Anyone who sends out cables as demo, can afford to lose them. Therefore people who make these demo programs and send cables to people, do so as marketing, expecting the cables to be lost. Unless they are really crappy sounding cables, that nobody want to steal.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2013
    Options
    He is quiet and not responding

I've done something I rarely do, I reported you for trolling. Bye.

President of Club Polk

• AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    After skeptic is proven wrong, he always leaves because he can't handle the truth.
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    Options
    After skeptic is proven wrong, he always leaves because he can't handle the truth.

The truth? or the AudioTruth?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    disbelief.gif

I can't decide if I would rather fry my Crow, or grill it?

Any suggestions??skeptical.gif

Perfect timing Patrick.
    Is Crow a cable brand that engineers made?
    I cut my Nordost cables to pieces. See video: http://youtu.be/DFRptbOtJu8
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2013
    Options

Same.

I don't like this kind of doo doo in here.
  • Systems
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Is Crow a cable brand that engineers made?
    I cut my Nordost cables to pieces. See video: http://youtu.be/DFRptbOtJu8

No, but I am definitely going to marinade it first, for about 72 hours.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2013
    Options
    First fun thread in a while, and you guys want to stop it. Mocking and ridiculing the lunatic fringe is always fun. Especially when they self-destruct in public.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    First fun thread in a while, and you guys want to stop it. Mocking and ridiculing the lunatic fringe is always fun. Especially when they self-destruct in public.
    They do the same thing when someone is getting eargasms from a cable, they want to stop it. See video: http://youtu.be/SUynbO41ZG0
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,753
    edited July 2013
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

When discussing various audio myths, where do you draw the line between a standard lunatic and the lunatic fringe? Doesn't seem to be much difference.
  • cheezy
    cheezy Posts: 148
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Holy cheez-wiz Batman :lol:
    That's not me d00d. I'm da Cheez. Btw, awesome post AudioTruth. I LOVE YOU~~~ Sincerely.

Cheezy
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'm tired of the regulars feeding these guys. Give it a rest old timers, place this guy on your bozo list and be done with it. Your all acting like a bunch of Tweens. Sheesh.
  • AudioTruth
    edited July 2013
    Options
    No, but I am definitely going to marinade it first, for about 72 hours.
    Do you mean the bird? I don't know the correlation with my thread. This week I took care of a bird with injured wings, today it flew out. It would be a shame if you murder the innocent bird.
This discussion has been closed.