Carolina Polk Fest 2013. October 11-13

Options

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2013
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Troy, I may be headed down here in the next hour or two which would put me there around 10 or 11. How late are you guys and TLW planning on staying up?

Tom

Tom,

Not sure...give me a jingle when you get in...
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited October 2013
    Options
    10-4. Will be bringing something you may not have heard yet as well. Eye candy....but for the ears.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Ok, PF is officially underway!

We had dinner at Brecks last night....hopefully we didn't poison anyone! So far, so good though. It's just great to see everyone. I'm going to pick up the BBQ and the fried chicken about 10 am and after that....the fest is ON!!

Again, I REALLY hope that I get the LSI 703s....

BDT
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Post some pics when you guys can please!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • TroyD
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Hey, just a quick post....we may be small in numbers but still having a blast!!!

03Great friends, great times......this is what Polk Fest is all about!

Coming soon, draw for the 703's.

Also, got a special item for George Grand from Micah....very cool thing, will get that in the mail asap.

BDT (of the Polkfest loving BDT's)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited October 2013
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Hey, just a quick post....we may be small in numbers but still having a blast!!!

Better odds you'll win the 703's :biggrin:.

Take pics of whose there so we can put faces with names.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Enjoy the 'Fest guys! Be safe on the roads!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Things should be warming up just about now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Great weekend. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and the hospitality shown by Troy & his lovely wife Wendy was incredible.

Truly wish more of the core polkies were here. I think it broke Troy's heart to tell me that I won the 703's when I got back after dinner with my wife. Unbelievable. They are phenomenal speakers that I will enjoy for years. Many thanks to Polk and those involved who continue to support their fans.

More to follow but for now, sleep.

I'll get a few pics up after getting home Monday and back to the computer.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Congrats TNHNDYMAN on winning the 703s!!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Congrats TNHNDYMAN
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • TroyD
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Yeah....you'd think after hosting 4 Polkfests that I should be able to score a pair of LSiM 703's....but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

BDT
  • TheLovelyWendi
    TheLovelyWendi Posts: 11
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad. .....this the end of Carolina Polk fest 2013. Great time and always great friends-good to see the usual suspects. Thanks for traveling y'all! Nice to meet Tnhndyman and wife. We have pics but nothing too crazy! No roof tops on fire, we didn't have to hunt down KAB, Will post pics later. Missed the old timers.
    TLW
  • TheLovelyWendi
    TheLovelyWendi Posts: 11
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad. .....this the end of Carolina Polk fest 2013. Great time and always great friends-good to see the usual suspects. Thanks for traveling y'all! Nice to meet Tnhndyman and wife. We have pics but nothing too crazy! No roof tops on fire, we didn't have to hunt down KAB, Will post pics later. Missed the old timers.
    TLW
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited October 2013
    Options
    TLW

I hate that I missed it. Glad everyone had a good time, I sure hope to make one soon.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited October 2013
    Options
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    Great weekend. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and the hospitality shown by Troy & his lovely wife Wendy was incredible.

Truly wish more of the core polkies were here. I think it broke Troy's heart to tell me that I won the 703's when I got back after dinner with my wife. Unbelievable. They are phenomenal speakers that I will enjoy for years. Many thanks to Polk and those involved who continue to support their fans.

Well looks like giving away the crib paid you back in spades Travis. Couldn't be happier for you!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • TroyD
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Again, small in number but I think that it still solidified what PF was originally intended to be....about community. A group of guys getting together with, really, not much in common but a love of music and audio. It's just amazing to me that guys who don't know each other except digitally come together and become lifelong friends. That's the cool thing and I really appreciate the fact that, historically, Polk nurtured that concept.

Thanks again to Jon and Ken from Polk for being PF advocates.....I really appreciate it!

Micah and his wife, can't say enough about them both. Wonderful people even though Micah really does a credible job of making people believe he is a hardened cynic.

Tom, Travis, Lou, Steve, Dave, Sid.......thanks for coming, I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did.

For me, it's a bittersweet thing because this will be the last Polk Fest I host. I really love Polkfest. REALLY love it. I love the whole concept but I think it's a bit selfish for me to have it here as often as we have. That said, the Ansley Trail Inn is always open to everyone!

Again, thanks to everyone.....just a great time!!!

BDT

Oh, and yes, I'm bitter about not winning the 703's......dammit!!!
  • TroyD
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Oh, and we did raise $300 for the Githens Center.......again, a REALLY cool thing.

BDT
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2013
    Options
    So sorry I could not make it Troy. You and Wendi are always great hosts. But at least I got to see Lou as he stopped here on his way down.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Sorry I missed it.

If it wasn't for work and prior commitments, I'd have bummed a ride with Lou.

Maybe next year.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Fireman32
    edited October 2013
    Options
    So who is hosting it next year? Got to start planning now!
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited October 2013
    Options
    TNHNDYMAN wrote: »

He shoots he scores, goooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll.

congrats travis and deb, could not have happened to a nicer couple.

Glad to hear everyone had a great time, looking forward to pics, and names describing who is in the pics.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Congrats Travis!!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    So who is hosting it next year? Got to start planning now!

Hello buddy! Sorry you couldn't make it this year......I was looking forward to seeing you again, ya' slacker. The planning for next year's fest has already begun. At this point we do not know whether Polk Audio will be involved or not but we sure can keep our fingers crossed. The details will be brought out into the open soon.

Well, with the 'fest all wrapped up and everybody at home.....all I can say is that it was a blast! It was great to see everybody again and meet some new faces. Troy and TLW sure do have some funny friends. The LSiM's sounded fanf'ntastic. Very surprised about how those little puppies belted out the sound. Polk did very good with that speaker. The hosts [as always] were top notch. We enjoyed some of the best Q south of the border, frogmore stew, a couple of dips, 'tater salad, mixed rice and no food fight got started. We did see Steve get humped by Whizzy though. That's a sight I'll never forget....even though I would like too and to make things worse, it was done in public. This only confirms the suspicion that Steve is into **** but it won't be I who says anything about that. No sirree, not me. I'm just not that type of guy.

Congrat's go to the Githins Center and to our resident member, Travis for winning the LSiM's. To Troy and TLW.....thanks again for a wonderful time. My hat is off to you both. What a shindig!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thanks for hosting the four PFs Troy. I know it's a lot of work and you and Wendi deserve some kudos. I have been a member for eight years, been to four Fests and missed four. Maybe next year.

Congrats TNHNDYMAN for winning the 703s! Enjoy!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited October 2013
    Options
    TLW, missed you too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Still no pics!?!? Glag you guys/gals had a good time.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • TroyD
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Pics will get posted in due course....jeeze.

BDT
  • Fireman32
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Yes I am sad I missed the last fest at Troy's. Circumstances did not let me come to the last 2 fests and I hate myself for it. Next year for sure.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    Options
    It's a fact: people love inanimate objects. They love their cars; wouldn't drive anything but this one. They love their cell phones; wouldn't use any one but this one. They love the pots and pans in their kitchen; these are the only ones for me. And they love their audio equipment.

And while usually it's a messy thing to actually see people loving their inanimate objects, it was a total joy to see people loving their audio equipment at Troy's Polk Fest 2013 this weekend. What an amazing thing. This is the kind of dedication any brand -- whether it's a car brand, a phone brand, a cookware brand... or an audio equipment brand -- would kill to be the recipient of. It's brand loyalty to the nth degree.

It was super great and an honor to be there. It was fun to see some Polk people again, Tom and Trey, I think I met Travis, disneyjoe7 & his girlfriend we met, and if the guy who came from NJ in the pickup truck (Lou? I told you everyone should wear name tags!) forgives me for not finding him to say goodbye and thanks before we left, I'll be fine in the afterlife. Even some of Troy's local friends showed up to suck down some of the great food (fried chicken, pulled pork, fresh berled peanuts!) from Troy's new restaurant. It was great to meet Ted the Electrician. Oh, how right he was!

To everyone we met but whose name escapes me now... Thank you! It was great meeting you!

Troy and Wendi are the best people ever. They are happy, outgoing, funny, smart and down-to-earth. Opening their home to a bunch of weirdos who's idea of fun is sitting in a dark room focused intently on Sheffield drum tracks is more than admirable. (It's downright angelic.)

Whatever Polk Audio is now, has become or will become, what counts to these guys (and to their friends and families) is what it has achieved. Polk Audio products bring joy by doing just what they said they'd do: produce realistic sound at a great value. It's obvious in the nodding heads and serene smiles of the guys crammed into Troy's back bedroom listening to the bold, beautiful cherry-wood LSiM703s. (Gonna have to get me a pair of these!) This is what brand loyalty sounds like! Take notice!

Thanks, Troy & Wendi! It was GREAT!

MICAH & MELISSA

PS -- My biggest disappointment of the day was not getting to finally meet George Grand. Anyway, George, you old so-and-so, I sent you a gift via Troy that I hope you enjoy.
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney