Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Polk SDA 1 speakers "fully upgraded": https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/d/sacramento-polk-sda-1-signature/6899187590.html - $400

00y0y_5JUv5Wfbcsb_1200x900.jpg

"Very nice Polk SDA 1 Signature Speakers. These came out after the SDA-1C and right before the SDA 2. They have been completely upgraded with 4 new RDO-194 tweeters, fully upgraded crossovers with mills resistors and SoniCap capacitors. New binding posts as well. This is hundreds of dollars in upgrades, and they sound amazing. Tops have minor wear, but overall in quite nice condition. Includes original SDA cable."
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420

Nice looking pair in walnut at a fair price!
    Clipdat wrote: »
    00p0p_8lMInwDiExt_1200x900.jpg

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Polk SDA 1 speakers "fully upgraded": https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/d/sacramento-polk-sda-1-signature/6899187590.html - $400

00y0y_5JUv5Wfbcsb_1200x900.jpg

"Very nice Polk SDA 1 Signature Speakers. These came out after the SDA-1C and right before the SDA 2. They have been completely upgraded with 4 new RDO-194 tweeters, fully upgraded crossovers with mills resistors and SoniCap capacitors. New binding posts as well. This is hundreds of dollars in upgrades, and they sound amazing. Tops have minor wear, but overall in quite nice condition. Includes original SDA cable."

Actually they are transitional between SDA1 and SDA1a. The brass plate covers the port holes they glued dowel rods into. They are nice speakers with sonicaps I have a pair.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited June 2019
    Whoa RTA12's with stands, and a vintage NAD reciever for a buck fifty!
    4toswkcb12c1.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/rochester-receiver-speakers/6908982687.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2019
    And rare Polk Cobra speaker cables!!! Holy crap!

00l0l_4rphzMdCVS6_1200x900.jpg

For reference:

Polk%20CobraCable_SAM0728sm.jpg.jpg

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    ^known to fry a speaker and amp or two
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Demo required I guess. ;)

If they work, I feel that's one great deal. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764

The speaker cable? What was wrong with them?
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2019
    delkal wrote: »

The speaker cable? What was wrong with them?

Issues with their capacitance, they frayed and short circuited easy and some other things.....

A cool “display item”, but I wouldn’t use them personally.

Google displays a few threads here with comments from @VR3, @F1nut and then some other forums have references.

When new they were great, but again prone to short circuit or have other issues...

Direct quote from Jesse (on Hoffman forums)
    Polk Cobra Cable loudspeaker cable
    Stereophile review: 1978 (Vol.4 No.3). Highly capacitive, this distinctive-looking Japanese-sourced cable blew up many amplifiers that weren't unconditionally stable. Nevertheless, it blazed a trail followed first by Bob Fulton, then by Monster, then by countless others.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    So "... it blazed a trail ..." is the key phrase in that post by Jesse.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Looks like they are already gone...
  • EndersShadow
    So "... it blazed a trail ..." is the key phrase in that post by Jesse.

I'd defer to the "blew up many amplifiers that werent unconditionally stable"..... over "blazed a trail", but thats me.

Again, cool stuff to have as a display piece, wouldnt use it. My buddy's shop got some in a trade and I warned him off from using it too. Think he's got it hidden away somewhere...
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    There's a pair of Rti 8TLs with one seized woofer at a Goodwill near me. But they wanted close to $100, I left them there. Still thinking about em though. :blush:
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Tony M
    Did you point that bad woofer out to them? offer 50.00!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    Did you point that bad woofer out to them? offer 50.00!

Even a hundie seems like a good price, IMO! Certainly make an offer! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    I agree. I've owned 2 pair of them I think. I don't remember if either were the TL version but I believe at least one was.

I paid 80 for one pr. and 40 for the other I believe. Both had good drivers, if indeed I've owned 2 sets of them.

I remember selling one set for over a hundred but they were "minty". :D
  • audioluvr
    edited June 2019
    Monitor 10's with stands in the Seattle area. One has a "magnet shift tested" owie on the side that would need addressed...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/d/snohomish-pair-of-polk-audio-monitor/6909038042.html
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ^ not for that price... Stands or not.
  • delkal
    edited June 2019
    In the Philadelphia area Monitor 10s at $250 never sell on Craiglist. Currently there are three (one with Peerless tweeters) that have been constantly relisted listed for months with no takers (two at $250 and one $185).

At $150 they might last a month or two. You never know what they eventually sold for but the listing goes away.

At $120 they are gone in a week or two.

Under $100 they are gone before I can contact the seller.
  • audioluvr
    Agreed but I thought you'd get a kick out of the hole in the side that " doesn't affect performance at all"
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Tony M
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Agreed but I thought you'd get a kick out of the hole in the side that " doesn't affect performance at all"

It's like seeing speaker surrounds deteriorated and the seller says they " sound great". :D
  • delkal

Think of it as a ported upgrade.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

I don't know man... these could be the mythical next-gen Polk SDA we keep hearing about.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    SDA-SRS in Bozeman, MT... no affiliation. Maybe I should take a road trip?
    https://bozeman.craigslist.org/ele/d/bozeman-polk-sda-srs-speakers/6905852797.html
    kp2s6y222dr7.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Make the trip... they are well worth it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Make sure to ask about the PR since he says it doesn't sound the way it use to.
  • Tony M
    Ask him BEFORE you go if he could check to see if all the drivers move freely. ;)
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    Make the trip... they are well worth it.

it’s only a 6.5 hr drive one way for me... I may have googled it haha...
    ...on the other hand, I do like sleeping in my bed. I’m afraid I’d have to sleep inside the cabinets if I bought them... 😂
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.