Stupid Question: Why are they called "5-way" binding posts?

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    My amp has 1 way binding posts.

At least you don't own a 5-way tire tool

Wait there's s 5 way tire tool? I've been doing it all wrong....
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    My amp has 1 way binding posts.
    Output only
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    At least you don't own a 5-way tire tool
    But it sounds like I should?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The correct answer is banana, spade, pin, bare wire and alligator clips.

WRONG,
    dual banana is the correct answer

bare wire , Spade , Pins , banana and DUAL BANANA , this is what makes a 5 way binding post a 5 way binding post. You don't use Alligator clips for speakers. Could you? Sure but it's not technically the reason a 5 way binding post is called a 5 way binding post. Who told you that?

I use alligator clips padded with rubber bands for soldering at the terminating end of the speaker cable B)

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

WRONG,

bare wire , Spade , Pins , banana and DUAL BANANA , this is what makes a 5 way binding post a 5 way binding post. You don't use Alligator clips for speakers. Could you? Sure but it's not technically the reason a 5 way binding post is called a 5 way binding post. Who told you that?

I use alligator clips padded with rubber bands for soldering at the terminating end of the speaker cable B)

Dual banana post is incorrect
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options

WRONG,

Dual banana post is incorrect

Ummm, you must be referring to earlier posts.....I don't play with dual banana posts :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    Something of a banana post duel brewing here? B)

I remember feeling so powerful when I grabbed a couple of surplus :# Pomona dual banana plugs from JHU and installed them on the speaker wires for my Polk Monitor 7As ca. 1978. I still have those banana plugs, too. They're on the "home theater" system (which also contained the Polks until we moved to House 4.0 in 2013) in the den to this day. :)

• Geoff4rfc
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I remember feeling so powerful when I grabbed a couple of surplus :# Pomona dual banana plugs from JHU and installed them on the speaker wires for my Polk Monitor 7As ca. 1978. I still have those banana plugs, too. They're on the "home theater" system (which also contained the Polks until we moved to House 4.0 in 2013) in the den to this day. :)

'78 ???? Dang dude....I was just learning how to salute over at Lackland AFB as a young lad at 18. You've been with Polk a L O N G time, and now, I salute you!!

• mhardy6647
    Options

'78 ???? Dang dude....I was just learning how to salute over at Lackland AFB as a young lad at 18. You've been with Polk a L O N G time, and now, I salute you!!

rnv4zuldqbxv.jpg

I mean... everybody kept purchase receipts from 1978... right? Right?! :#:blush:
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options

rnv4zuldqbxv.jpg

I mean... everybody kept purchase receipts from 1978... right? Right?! :#:blush:

Maybe you can return them.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

rnv4zuldqbxv.jpg

Maybe you can return them.

Why would I? B)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Because they can't connect to wi-fi, of course!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    That’s awesome!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I keep receipts, they can come in very handy for "proof of Purchase" arguments with say an insurance company.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options

rnv4zuldqbxv.jpg

I wonder if that 10% restoring charge would still stand :#

• mhardy6647
    Options

rnv4zuldqbxv.jpg

I wonder if that 10% restoring charge would still stand :#

John Dorsey's a good guy -- he'd probably let it slide. :)
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    It looks like Len Bradford was your salesperson.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It looks like Len Bradford was your salesperson.

He was indeed per the receipt. I actually remember John as having done the deed, so when I dug that receipt out a few years back (to post here), I was surprised to see Len's name on the receipt.
    I do know Len sold me my Philips AF877 - about a year later. I remember hanging around for quite a while as he set up the cartridge. Len was quite the perfectionist. Hangin' out at Soundscape was never a bother, though. :)

In those days, it was John & his two brothers and Len at Soundscape. I think brother Ed was usually at the Park Radio store (which was still operating then). Their father Lee Dorsey founded Park Radio a long ways back now. EDIT: I am thinkin' 1948... but my memory's gettin' pretty flammable, umm I mean fallible.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Len was certainly the consummate audio expert and music enthusiast. I met him when I started working at Gramophone and we became good friends.
  • vocalkeny
    vocalkeny Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just picked up some spades.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,065
    Options
    11 years of five way binding posts.

k3w7ruj2lgcw.gif

Make that 12 years🤣🤣🤣
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,762
    Options
    The fifth way may be the two options for bare wire.

That's how I understood it. Through the hole with bare wire is one, solid metal post through hole is two, then wire wrapped around post, banana, & spade.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    edited March 27
    Options
    Does the dual banana go in the same hole used for bare wire....then you are counting 1 hole as two...really making it a 4 way binding post.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,762
    edited March 27
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Does the dual banana go in the same hole used for bare wire....then you are counting 1 hole as two...really making it a 4 way binding post.

How would a dual banana go in the same hole as a wire? ;)

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I'm reporting all these insanely graphic sexually explicit posts. Enjoy your bans.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

(smacks forehead)
    The dual bananas are the width of a standard spacing of the binding posts. They go into the end like EVERY other banana plug....
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Bare wire
    Pins
    Spades
    Banana
    Eyelet
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Eyelet -- Piglet and Eeyore's love child?

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Lol how about ring connector
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

(smacks forehead)
    The dual bananas are the width of a standard spacing of the binding posts. They go into the end like EVERY other banana plug....
    Oh....I get it. Still the same "openings" as regular bananas (as not to offend some with graphic details). Im still sticking to my 4 way binding post nomenclature though!