kurtydoss reported
  • ShadesPG
    ShadesPG Posts: 89
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Pictured here

The Verity Audio Monsalvat Priced at 325,000

The Alon Grand Exotica at a bargain 125,000:biggrin: I want the alon, but...

agreed...ild rather have the alon
    My Living Room
    2 Channel
    source > Sony DA555ES >
    Kenwood GE-74 > Marantz SR4400 > Rotel RB980BX > Polk SDA2.
    Pioneer VSX-D909S > Carver TFM-25 > Polk SDA1c.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-99 > PSB imageB25.
    Marantz 2226 > Polk SDA CRS.
    Yamaha RX-V690 > Velodyne Servo F1000.
    Home Theater
    source > Onkyo TX-DS898 > B&W CC6 (center), B&W DM603, B&W DM601, B&W Rock Solid (rears), B&W AS6.
    Bedroom
    source > Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH> ML Quest, B&W DM600 (center), B&W DM601 (rears), Velodyne Servo F1000.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    edited September 2011
    Options
    word to that.

$6,000,000 for this one, only one made, solid Gold
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,115
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    word to that.

$6,000,000 for this one, only one made, solid Gold
    Just think of how much it's worth now...
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited September 2011
    Options
    it's called Organic Harmony. the designer also made others out of solid silver and bronze:)
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Listening to this Gemisch as I type this. All dump finds (even the cabling)... except for the CD (The latest from the Wailin Jennys, www.thewailinjennys.com)

dumpdivehifi.jpg

The IC-150 isn't nearly as horrible sounding as I had expected it to be...
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Those dump finds never cease to 'surprise'. What do you think of the Technics Speakers?

Thanks

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited September 2011
    Options
    This is more of a test to see if I know how to post a pic on the new format here. A yummy Yammie system with the big Technics speakers, not mine.
    ! Yammie garage system, Blu Falcon.jpg

System and pic courtesy of Blu Falcon at SH forums.
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2011
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Those dump finds never cease to 'surprise'. What do you think of the Technics Speakers?

Thanks

cnh

meh. They're sensitive.
    They don't sound awful; they are, in fact, perfectly listenable. Not at their best with the Crown preamp. I later dragged out a GAS Thoebe preamp I happen to have (not a dump find) and they were happier.

They're Technics SB- 4500As; the little brothers of the ones in the image in post #99 in this thread.

http://www.vintagetechnics.co.uk/loudspeakers/sb4500a.htm

sb4500acatalog.jpg
  • jaygax
    jaygax Posts: 153
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Polk Audio SDA2a as my fronts. whats sweet is, they were given to me for FREE!!!! now, i have to find or make an interconnect cable to enjoy the SDA effect on stereo mode. can somebody help me? thanks!

306753_10150299388226771_689291770_8383211_824750244_n.jpg
  • jaygax
    jaygax Posts: 153
    edited September 2011
    Options
    mr shades,

i have the yamaha RX-A1000. my front left and right channels are polk audio SDA 2a's. am i running a risk of getting my yamaha burned? what should i do?
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited September 2011
    Options
    that Yamaha has preouts on the back for more powerful amps so you should get another more powerful amp if you can since it's just 105`wpc. but that receiver is 4 ohm stable so it should be ok I would think.

Welcome to club polk too!
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited September 2011
    Options
    On the back of that receiver it says "bi amp" over the surround back terminals, I can't look at the owners manual but could that mean that you can bi amp the front speakers if you're not running surround backs? if so you could do that because then you'd be getting not only 4 Ohm output power but you'd be getting twice as much power per speaker. if you can't do that just get a separate amp and hook to the pre outs on the back for the fronts. I plan on one day getting a Marantz receiver and using it as a pre amp and using bigger amps probably for just the front and center. hope that helps.

I don't know if my last post even posted on here but Welcome to the Club Polk!
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Can anyone guess what speakers inspired these(in front)? ;)

Anarchists.jpg
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Face wrote: »

Nevermind that... look at the size of that box the speaker cabling goes in/out of. Holy shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited September 2011
    Options

Anarchists.jpg

Polk monitor 5jr!!! :DDD

lol not. I have no idea. they look cool though. I like those behind it too.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    Nevermind that... look at the size of that box the speaker cabling goes in/out of. Holy shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    Before basing a purchasing decision on such a piece of data, the savvy shopper might wish to ascertain whether such a box contained much of anything besides a copious volume of air and, thus, profit for the mfgr. Electrovoice (a generally pretty respectable company) famously once installed a piece of steel plate in the bottom of one of their commercial amps to add that heft that a buyer expects of a good quality, powerful amplifier.

Caveat emptor.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    edited September 2011
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Before basing a purchasing decision on such a piece of data, the savvy shopper might wish to ascertain whether such a box contained much of anything besides a copious volume of air and, thus, profit for the mfgr. Electrovoice (a generally pretty respectable company) famously once installed a piece of steel plate in the bottom of one of their commercial amps to add that heft that a buyer expects of a good quality, powerful amplifier.

Caveat emptor.

A kilo of weed works better :afro
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That's rather akin to the beer goggles approach to choosing a mate...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited September 2011
    Options

They look like what happens if a LSiM 703 and a LSi 9 were to mate lol....

The external crossover looks pretty cool too.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Face
    edited September 2011
    Options
    They look like what happens if a LSiM 703 and a LSi 9 were to mate lol....

The external crossover looks pretty cool too.
    Finally someone who gets it. That also explains why the cable from the crossover box to the cabinet looks like a welding cable, there are two Canare 4S11's in there, I needed 8 wires(poles) between the two cabs. I would have loved to fit everything in one cabinet, but it wasn't even close. Besides, having the crossover components mounted externally has it's own benefits.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Finally someone who gets it. That also explains why the cable from the crossover box to the cabinet looks like a welding cable, there are two Canare 4S11's in there, I needed 8 wires(poles) between the two cabs. I would have loved to fit everything in one cabinet, but it wasn't even close. Besides, having the crossover components mounted externally has it's own benefits.

How does it sound, and can I see any pics you have of how its braced internally/wired as well as components. That looks like a fun project.....

Also did you intentionally decide to not just make one big floorstander that was seperated into 2 compartments (speaker & crossover). I would think you could make is so you didnt need the stands and even fill some of the unused space in the crossover section with lead shot or something else for weight. That way it would look like one big speaker until you looked at the back....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Finally someone who gets it.

lol two people guessed at what they were modeled after:P
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2011
    Options

Sorry for my flippant post, then - I didn't realize they were DIY; I thought it was a commercial product - and I am always a tad skeptical vis-a-vis "what's in the box".
  • Face
    edited September 2011
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Sorry for my flippant post, then - I didn't realize they were DIY; I thought it was a commercial product - and I am always a tad skeptical vis-a-vis "what's in the box".
    Understandable.
    How does it sound, and can I see any pics you have of how its braced internally/wired as well as components. That looks like a fun project.....

Also did you intentionally decide to not just make one big floorstander that was seperated into 2 compartments (speaker & crossover). I would think you could make is so you didnt need the stands and even fill some of the unused space in the crossover section with lead shot or something else for weight. That way it would look like one big speaker until you looked at the back....
    If I were to do it over again, I would have made a tower, but I didn't build the cabinets. They're PE 1ft^3 cabs with a separate midrange enclosure. I was looking for a quick project to bang out, but it ended up being more work than expected. No internal shots, but inside is covered with Sonic Barrier and poly fill. I'm very happy with the overall sound of the speaker. Between using all high dispersion drivers and a quasi 1st order crossover between the tweeter and mid, the soundstage is big and imaging is by far the best I've heard in my room. Low end extension is ok, but it's hard to do any better out of an enclosure that size and maintain reasonable efficiency. I'm going to use some of the basic principles from this build in my next one, but with better drivers, a larger cab, and deeper low end extension.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Options

Now THATS cool. I understand how it all works. Still very pretty.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Some Bozak speakers and other things.
    Home theater:
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
  • Face
    edited January 2012
    Options
    doddbuffer.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hello,
    Here's two McIntosh C4 monophonic preamps I'm working on. I've replaced PS caps and filament supply caps and have done some sprucing up. So far they have only a couple of minor (I hope) problems, but the THD is below 0.4%. They have 11 different playback EQs for whatever record you were playing at the time.
    Ken