Unbelievable!!!

Options
124»

Comments

• g-man
    g-man Posts: 46
    edited September 2003
    Options
    sorry..one dollar is 7.39 Kroner... just checked it..
    Stereo:
    Speakers:Polk SDA-1A
    cd/dvd:Marantz DV6200(HDCD)
    Amp: DUAL Audiophile Concept. (1992)

ICE:
    Alpine CDA9887R
    Audison LRX 1.1K
    Audison LRX 4.5
    Amega Q-Comp50
    Amega Q-Comp60
    Sub: Focal Utopia WX21 BE
    Sub:? maybe 3 MM840.
    Stinger HPI signal,power,speaker cables
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,085
    edited September 2003
    Options
    ight, the JM Utopia, SRT, Wilson X-1...would be an awesome A-B-C
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • g-man
    edited September 2003
    Options
    what`s the web adress ?
    to wilson?
    Stereo:

ICE:
    Alpine CDA9887R
    Audison LRX 1.1K
    Audison LRX 4.5
    Amega Q-Comp50
    Amega Q-Comp60
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    www.wilsonaudio.com -- gotta have the www. or it dosnt work
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • g-man
    edited September 2003
    Options
    got to check it out... thanks..nice talking to you..are you gonna be here all day? got to get some sleap..it`s 01:41 at night..
    Stereo:

ICE:
    Alpine CDA9887R
    Audison LRX 1.1K
    Audison LRX 4.5
    Amega Q-Comp50
    Amega Q-Comp60
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I'll be here till 3am (eastern standard time), nice talkin also
  • g-man
    edited September 2003
    Options
    ok..see ya..bye:o
    Stereo:

ICE:
    Alpine CDA9887R
    Audison LRX 1.1K
    Audison LRX 4.5
    Amega Q-Comp50
    Amega Q-Comp60
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited September 2003
    Options
    "I hope you know, that Bi-Amping, Bi-Wiring is all opinionated and varies from individual and not all hear what you seem to hear?"

Well Sid, all I can say to that is that if you don't think you could tell the difference between going from a 3802 to a bi-amped/bi-wired Adcom 5400/5500 combo, then you should just save the money on your next receiver/amp purchase and buy yourself a $99 Sansui! Now granted, that is an extreme difference, a lot more so to adding an Adcom 535 to a 545, but how the hell can you expect to fairly give it a chance with only one speaker?
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    BS,
    When I get more wire, I will try again. Just hold on...
  • 4_everyman
    4_everyman Posts: 50
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Trey - RTi38's stacked on top of RTi150's? Are you puffing exhaust fumes? Why would one even think about doing that.

I've been looking over older threads and came across a recent discussion of stacking RTi38s on top of larger speakers. Did anyone ever try an RTi150/RTi38 stacked combo? It sounds...interesting. How would you wire such a set-up? Would you invert the RTi38 so that the tweeters would be closer?
    I didn't see much resolution of these threads. They seemed to trail off on to other issues but i must admit that i'm curious about it.
    Rgds,
    --Pete
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2003
    Options
    I would think you'd need some pretty powerful amps to pull this off.. as I hear the 150 take quite a bit of power all by themselves.. let alone the addition of 38's.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • 4_everyman
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    I would think you'd need some pretty powerful amps to pull this off.. as I hear the 150 take quite a bit of power all by themselves.. let alone the addition of 38's.
    I think i've got that covered. I'm driving my RTi150s with a Rotel RMB-1075 which is (conservatively) rated at 100 W per channel. Prior to adding that amp i was driving them directly from my RSX-1055 receiver to the tune of 70 W per channel and i didn't have any problems although i will say that i think it sounded better with the addition of that amp.
    If i do try this wacky idea of stacking RTi38s, i'd have to put the jumper plates back on the RTi150s and hook them up in a standard fashion as opposed to the bi-amp configuration i'm using now.
    There is precedent for an RTi70/38 stack within this forum and as i recall, the guy who said he did it was very happy with the results. Maybe i should quit tweaking and **** around with my gear and just go back to listening...like i did when i only had mid-fi equipment. Naw... :D
  • bigsexy1
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Don't do it! The crossovers are different on each speaker, plus the 150's efficiency rating is higher. In other words, matching problems all the way around. The 150s deserve MAXIMUM power, not to be throttled back only just so a set of 38s can try to keep up with them for benefits that frankly are very highly questionable to begin with.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2003
    Options
    why not do it? not like you can't go back...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bigsexy1
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    why not do it? not like you can't go back...

True, but again..........
    "The 150s deserve MAXIMUM power, not to be throttled back only just so a set of 38s can try to keep up with them for benefits that frankly are very highly questionable to begin with."
  • 4_everyman
    edited November 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bigsexy1
    True, but again..........
    "The 150s deserve MAXIMUM power, not to be throttled back only just so a set of 38s can try to keep up with them for benefits that frankly are very highly questionable to begin with."
    I'm really undecided about it, although there are two issues that i got wrong (or was unclear about) in my original posting:

First, my amplifier is rated at (a conservative) 120 W per channel rather than the 100 W i originally stated.
    Second, i'm bi-amping the RTi150s right now. To try this experiment, i would go from bi-amping to driving each RTi150/RTi38 pair with its own discrete 120 W amp output.

And, as Tour2ma said, i can always go back if i don't like it. If i really like the sound of the RTi150/38 stack, i guess i could buy another amp. That way, i'd have some left over channels which would enable me to bi-amp my CSi40s (center and center back).

Man, i had a lot more money in my pocket before i discovered this forum. :D Anybody else have that problem?

Rgds,
    --Pete