Unbelievable!!!

Options
bigsexy1
bigsexy1 Posts: 557
edited November 2003 in Speakers
Went to CC tonight. RTi150s are now $250 (actually, $249.99, or something like that) each at a store local to me. Get this, now, if you buy one pair of any Polk speakers, you can get a second pair of equal or lesser value at 50% off! Bottom line, I got my 2 pairs of 150s now for $750 total for all 4 of them! That's only $187.50 each. Plus, since I had bought 2 pairs of FXi30s, one pair of them was also price adjusted to 50% off. Saved me over $500 total. Forget the RTi12 now. I'm sure that it will be a better speaker than the 150s, but it's most definitely at the point now that it wouldn't be so much better as to justify the extra cost it would take to trade the 150s up to them.
Post edited by bigsexy1 on

Comments

• Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited September 2003
    Options
    holy **** i want to take advantage of this deal but i cant get to circuity city till the weekend, aaah
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,158
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Dude for what? 250 each, you could save that extra money and buy an effin amp that could actually drive them! Wow! ;)

Killer deal! Congrats!!! You run adcom right? Have you thought about their Mono blocks? They could really kick the RTi150 straight in the balls...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bigsexy1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Just let me take a guess at what you would suggest Sid, take back my 150s that were in effect $187.50 each and trade them for 70s which would be $300 each right now (even with the buy 1 pair get 1 pair at 50% off deal), thus costing me $112.50 more for EACH of the 4 speakers just for the priviledge of "upgrading" to the 70? Yes sir, I'd really be saving a hell of a lot of money there! OTOH, I would then own the world's greatest speaker ever of all time because of it's extra passive mid range driver though!

Now relax, I was just pullin' your chain! Thanks for the congrats, and BTW, yes, I do have Adcoms for them.

==============================================
    Ceruleance

"holy **** i want to take advantage of this deal but i cant get to circuity city till the weekend, aaah"

Dude, there all gonna be long gone by this weekend! You'd better get out there tomorrow if you can.

• VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    *blink blink blink, I am surrounded by overly sarcastic people. I thought I was sarcastic....

The i150 is a great speaker, if you want a good combo, I would try the RTi38 stacked on top of them, that could hold great results...just a thought...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Trey - RTi38's stacked on top of RTi150's? Are you puffing exhaust fumes? Why would one even think about doing that.

BS - Great deal, enjoy the speakers. Lay down some heavy wattage, and call the ambulance.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Mark,
    If you put the RTi38 upside down it can provide positive results.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/showcase/closeup.php?userid=12154&pic=24_9_big.jpg

As you can see, Juice21, a former member that no longer ventures this board did this and found great results. However he stacked the RT35i on top of the RT800i. In doing this you broaden the soundstage and open the mids. Which, is where I think the RTi150 falters, so I suggested stacking a pair of RTi38 on top of them. I am not crazy, it is not unheard of. It is an open suggestion, that is worth trying.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Trey - I respect your comments, and suggestions, it was meant in jest. I have read that thread previously, and found it to be interesting. I still don't think that their is a benefit, this is because I have not experienced it. Until I do, well, there you go.

Improving or expanding the soundstage, is a generic comment that would make sense, in a way. You are adding a completely separate speaker to another and increasing its physical presence, as well as driving two different radiating patterns towards the same listening location. I'm sorry but I think that the broad midrange comment is also generic, you still have two different speakers playing. So, would I benefit from a expanded soundstage and midrange if I stacked a Wilson Audio Watt on top of my RTi38's? Yes, but I would most likely be hearing the dominate speaker, not the lesser one. I don't know honcho, maybe it works.

Does anyone else know of this experiment? Has anyone else aside form the MIA forum member tried it?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Mark,
    Tommorow after school, I will plug up my fully functional RT35i to my Adcom GFA-535 II amp and run them together with a y-splitter and tell you my results. This will be an A-B test basically. The Right will be stacked, where as the left will be single. Although these are two totally different speakers. Woofers, tweeters, totally different. So I do not know the outcome, I may like it...

However, I will give you a short review, tommorow

:o Insomnia Sid :o
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bigsexy1
    Went to CC tonight. RTi150s are now $250 (actually, $249.99, or something like that) each at a store local to me. Get this, now, if you buy one pair of any Polk speakers, you can get a second pair of equal or lesser value at 50% off! Bottom line, I got my 2 pairs of 150s now for $750 total for all 4 of them! That's only $187.50 each. Plus, since I had bought 2 pairs of FXi30s, one pair of them was also price adjusted to 50% off. Saved me over $500 total. Forget the RTi12 now. I'm sure that it will be a better speaker than the 150s, but it's most definitely at the point now that it wouldn't be so much better as to justify the extra cost it would take to trade the 150s up to them.

No ****. That's a far cry from the $1500 list I was looking at when they first came out.
    Wonder what the RTi12's might go for a year from now.

Dan
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Conga Rats Big, Awesome deal man. Heck I thought I had done good today... haha. BTW what location are you in, I'd like to see if maybe these CC's in WNC might start that deal too.)
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Trey - That's great. I am looking forward to the results.
  • bigsexy1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    dan t quote:

"Wonder what the RTi12's might go for a year from now."

Trust me, Polk and CC are in cohoots on this. The RTi 12 won't be cleared out 12 months from now before the time is out on the speaker upgrade deal for the ones we've all just bought. It will be 18 months. Mark my words, a new RTi line replacement will be coming out in spring of '05. Just as the current line was replaced 18 months after it came out, thus making us unable to trade up the last series of RTis (with the trilams) that we bought on closeout for this series while it's also on closeout. They know what they're doing, and how to time it just right to be able to extract the maximum amount of $$$, and really, you can't blame them. That's just good business sense.

Sid, that's an interesting theory. I'm not sure if it will work or not though. If your amp/receiver has main speaker A/B connections, it will keep both sets driving at an 8 ohm load, not 4, I think. Plus, if one speaker is more efficient than the other, they would have to somehow be adjusted by your receiver/processor to match levels too, but other than that, it just might possibly work.

BTW, is everyone on this board named either Dan or Mark, and/or from NC. It sure seems that way some times.
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Big Sexy, where is your CC? The CCs in Southern Cal still have the full price on the RTi150.
  • VR3
    edited September 2003
    Options
    BS,
    I am about positive that the RTi70 is 90db? and the RT35i is 90db. Where as the RTi38 is 89db? I am not totally sure, but I am about to hook them up and I will report back in about 30-45-possibly a hour at most....
  • bigsexy1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    For all interested, the buy 1 pair, get another pair half off deal was in the Durham, NC CC. Interstingly, the Cary store did not have that same deal for some reason. Do not know about the Raleigh store. That's the only ones close to me. The next closest I know of is in Fayettville, about an hour or so away, and I sure as hell ain't gonna drive that damned far!

Terrax, you are close by, so I'd see if the stores in your area will also do that. It's at least in the same backwards **** state.
  • Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Big,

Thanks for the heads up, I checked the Asheville and Hickory locations, but nether are running that deal. Really wish they were though.
  • bigsexy1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Terrax, you're welcome. Just keep your eyes open. Just when I thought that they couldn't possibly go any lower, they did. However, I don't think that it will ever get any lower than this,
    $187.50 per speaker for a set of 4 (or 2 pairs, however you want to look at it). I think now that they have absolutely hit their rock bottom pricing as far as they are ever gonna go, but I could be wrong again.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    lets see a receipt :D

that almost seems hard to believe they could even break even at that price,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hey Big,

How many pair of 150's ya got now? hehe I might interested in buying one pair of them from you. PM me if you are interested :D
  • aubyn97
    aubyn97 Posts: 7
    edited September 2003
    Options
    hi all,i just picked up a pair brand new for 268.00 in sc thanks to this board and got my original pair of rti 150 price adjusted, the store in gastonia nc has 1 pair left for 258.00.
    thanks for the heads up bigsexy1
  • bigsexy1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    faster100
    "lets see a receipt

that almost seems hard to believe they could even break even at that price,"

Why don't you just call the same store I went to in Durham like you did before when I first found them for $285 if you don't believe me.

Terrax
    "Hey Big,

How many pair of 150's ya got now? hehe I might interested in buying one pair of them from you. PM me if you are interested"

I only have 2 pairs now, and I'm keeping them! I originally had three pairs, but unfortunately I had to return one set as one of the cabinets was actually busted right out off the box.

aubyn97
    "hi all,i just picked up a pair brand new for 268.00 in sc thanks to this board and got my original pair of rti 150 price adjusted, the store in gastonia nc has 1 pair left for 258.00. thanks for the heads up bigsexy1"

You're welcome! Did you also get them to adjust the price on the 2nd pair you bought for 50% off (plus 10% on top of that) in a price match?
  • aubyn97
    edited September 2003
    Options
    yes i could not belive, it felt like i robbed the store when left,i had to travel 100 miles to get them but worth the trip stores around here in atlanta wont go down below 448.00
  • bigsexy1
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I just figured it up, for less than $1300 (not including tax), I got:

CSi40 - for $270
    RTi150 - for $186 each, 2 pairs (4 total speakers)
    FXi30 - for $70 each, 2 pairs (4 total speakers)

All were new in box, no "open box" specials.

That is one hell of a system if do say so myself for the money for movies and rock music, both 2 channel and 5.1 hi-rez SACD/DVD Audio.
  • Terrax
    edited September 2003
    Options
    aubyn97,

Which SC CC did you get that deal at? If I may ask, I'm trying to find one doing it too
  • aubyn97
    edited September 2003
    Options
    the anderson store they have the floor model left for 258.00 or 248.00, they are in good condition brand new on marks i checked them, out they should still be there

exit 19A on I85
  • faster100
    edited September 2003
    Options
    268.00 each or for the pair???
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • aubyn97
    edited September 2003
    Options
    each ,i wish it was for the piar
  • faster100
    edited September 2003
    Options
    anderson just said 399.98 each, huh!! Im on the phone now with augusta GA..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • aubyn97
    edited September 2003
    Options
    talk to a guy name sammy
  • faster100
    edited September 2003
    Options
    found some locally for 245 each new... now.. i am thinking what i like better my rti70's or a set of 150's??????? decisions decisions
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp