Midwest LSiM Demo Gathering

Options

Comments

• dcmartinpc
    dcmartinpc Posts: 844
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Since its Friday night and the time is right, can I get some audio pron pics of the 703's in their setup :wink::biggrin:

Give me a little bit to finish dinner and move the SRS 2s out of the way. I got my Skylan stands from Gaara, awesome stand btw! I will put them on their thrones and shoot some pics!

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
  • donaldfagen
    donaldfagen Posts: 30
    edited September 2011
    Options
    You guys who've heard the 703's are lucky. I've been curious about them for a long time and still have no way of auditioning them. :frown:
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Darn, your trip had the making of the word EPIC in it...

And trust me I will enjoy the 703's for ya :smile:

Man... you'll have to enjoy them two... maybe three times as much as normal to make up for me not being there haha.

And again, a big thanks to Don for being so courteous. Maybe when I'm not a broke (because I spend all my money on audio equipment) college student, I'll venture my way to the Great Lakes for a jam session.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No problem at all Jim!

So... look what I embarrased myself into purchasing :redface:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123709

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Oh another thing! Anyone who has any DVD-A or SACD disks, please bring them! I only have a couple and I would love to hear some more! FLAC files too, my SB Touch can handle up to 24/192.

Unfortunately, it appears that much of what I like to listen to is not available in high res formats :mad:

I did just find this - The Beatles - The Collection Boxset MFSL :eek: converted to 24/96 FLAC!!!!

Is anyone bringing any equipment? I am not sure if my DAC is going to be here by then or not... It is a toss up since their production was delayed. :frown:

Don

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I'm trying not to be too pumped! That will make the 2 3/4 hr drive harder.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    edited September 2011
    Options
    dcmartinpc wrote: »
    Oh another thing! Anyone who has any DVD-A or SACD disks, please bring them! I only have a couple and I would love to hear some more! FLAC files too, my SB Touch can handle up to 24/192.

Unfortunately, it appears that much of what I like to listen to is not available in high res formats :mad:

I did just find this - The Beatles - The Collection Boxset MFSL :eek: converted to 24/96 FLAC!!!!

Is anyone bringing any equipment? I am not sure if my DAC is going to be here by then or not... It is a toss up since their production was delayed. :frown:

Don

I would be interested in hearing the Beatles on FLAC... I have a mint copy of that set and it would be great to compare
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I am planning on bringing my laptop with me which will be loaded with a massive amount of FLAC files (like 50+ gigs of music).

I will post an excel sheet of everything here later (MediaMonkey is on the desktop right now) listing everything I have for folks to pick through.

PS the wife is a HUGE Beatles fan so I think we have all the CD's they ever produced on FLAC to compare.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I would be interested in hearing the Beatles on FLAC... I have a mint copy of that set and it would be great to compare

Definitely. This is apparently MFSL vinyl converted to 24/96 FLAC. Sending you a PM.

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I am planning on bringing my laptop with me which will be loaded with a massive amount of FLAC files (like 50+ gigs of music).

I will post an excel sheet of everything here later (MediaMonkey is on the desktop right now) listing everything I have for folks to pick through.

PS the wife is a HUGE Beatles fan so I think we have all the CD's they ever produced on FLAC to compare.

What do you use to play the files from your laptop?

If we were to use my system, we would need to copy everything over to my music server for my SB Touch to see it. That would be fine with me, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Don

• EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    Options
    What do you use to play the files from your laptop?

If we were to use my system, we would need to copy everything over to my music server for my SB Touch to see it. That would be fine with me, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Don

I could bring it on a Esata or USB Hdd if that worked better for you. I have a couple extra lying around with more than enough space.

But with my laptop I could just jack into your network and then we could play from your Squeezebox Touch. I have built in wireless or an Ethernet port as well.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I could bring it on a Esata or USB Hdd if that worked better for you. I have a couple extra lying around with more than enough space.

But with my laptop I could just jack into your network and then we could play from your Squeezebox Touch. I have built in wireless or an Ethernet port as well.

We will figure it out! I have 2 gig ethernet switches in my living room that run down to the core switch in the basement... I just haven't tried to get a squeezebox to talk to multiple computers before. Regardless, we will figure it out.

Computers and Networking are my day job! I am the senior architect at a consulting firm here. I primarily work for a large financial institution in the area where I designed and manage their virtualization environment. I currently support close to 1,000 servers!

Enjoying your LOTR Marathon? How is the bass?

Don

• JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Have either of you considered a high-end sound card for your computer? While I'm sure .flac on your SB is good, no handheld device that I've heard has held up vs. my laptop's Creative X-Fi Notebook card. Even the onboard card sounds like chopped liver in comparison. I think I still have a, Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit external, a SB Audigy 2 ZS for a desktop PCI slot, and a SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook lying around if you guys wanna give any of them a shot, especially for your little shindig.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    edited September 2011
    Options
    So far I have found no digital source sweeter than vinyl... just sayin'
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options

This is true, but it's easier to hold 19,500 songs on a hard drive than on vinyl :tongue:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options

Oh John, how true that statement is... But right now, I think the wife would castrate me if I went down another rabbit hole! :eek: I need to sell a few things first... I also need to get down to a max of 2 pairs of speakers in my 2 channel rig!!!

Believe me, Vinyl is on my radar, but it will probably be a couple more years. Otherwise my young children would end up ruining everything!!! :biggrin:

Don

• JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Having had some time with them, do you think the 703s will become permanent part of your system?
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I do think so. I am getting them setup on the stand here tomorrow and I will have a better idea :D They do sound phenomenal. I also have not listened to anything high res on them yet. Again, that should happen tomorrow.

Don

• EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    Options
    We will figure it out! I have 2 gig ethernet switches in my living room that run down to the core switch in the basement... I just haven't tried to get a squeezebox to talk to multiple computers before. Regardless, we will figure it out.

Computers and Networking are my day job! I am the senior architect at a consulting firm here. I primarily work for a large financial institution in the area where I designed and manage their virtualization environment. I currently support close to 1,000 servers!

Enjoying your LOTR Marathon? How is the bass?

Don

Bass was decent but not great (wife kept making me turn it down due to the time at night). Still missing something, but hopefully REW will help me figure out where (and if its not just a sub limitation).

Cool Job, I am the IT Help Desk/Business Analyst guy for a defense firm (i.e. attorneys) for State Farm. My primary job this year is seeing how we can leverage new technology/processes to become more efficient in what we do and how we do it. This year though my big project is getting our office ready to switch our database management system and our document assembly system, and all the revamping/updating that requires. Needless to say its been a sucky year so I need this trip lol.....
    JimAckley wrote: »
    Have either of you considered a high-end sound card for your computer? While I'm sure .flac on your SB is good, no handheld device that I've heard has held up vs. my laptop's Creative X-Fi Notebook card. Even the onboard card sounds like chopped liver in comparison. I think I still have a, Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit external, a SB Audigy 2 ZS for a desktop PCI slot, and a SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook lying around if you guys wanna give any of them a shot, especially for your little shindig.

If I would do anything it would be to use a external asynchronous USB DAC (think HTR, V-Dac, Musiland Monitor etc). They cost about the same as one of those graphic cards and work better from what I have read.
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Don, we got a list of attendee's yet? I know BillWillburg was possibly coming, anyone else from Chicago, WI or Ohio?
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Don, we got a list of attendee's yet? I know BillWillburg was possibly coming, anyone else from Chicago, WI or Ohio?

I am still waiting for people to commit. We have had several people in the thread here say maybe, but noone is committing except for you :smile: I do have 2 or 3 people coming local to me here that are some local aduiophiles. They aren't polkies... yet!

If anyone is coming and they haven't let me know yet, please confirm :biggrin:

XSMI is coming on the 10th since he can't make it on the 17th. At least he will get to hear them.

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    OK Guys, I rearranged everything and other than the new TV stand, which I will put in when it gets here, I am in my LSiM 703 Demo Configuration! Here are some pictures... Please excuse the wire mess, the new stand will take care of that! I missed a couple kid toys too... Sorry about that! But I barely had enough energy to do this much... so... :tongue:

Don

IMG1038-L.jpg

IMG1040-L.jpg

IMG1041-L.jpg

IMG1042-L.jpg

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Let's see some sub ****.:biggrin:
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Let's see some sub ****.:biggrin:

That was the teaser! Now you must pay $5.95 a minute to continue!!!

I will have to get some pics of the other sub I have built right now. The home theater is a MESS because it is in the basement and got turned into a workshop to build my subs :eek: Then the wife thought it would be nice to start "storing" stuff on the couches. I gotta get that done and cleaned up or you guys are going to strangle me!

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Does anyone see the 18" LMS Ultra 5400 driver in the first picture? Its kinda like "Wheres Waldo?"

:biggrin:

Don

• EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Does anyone see the 18" LMS Ultra 5400 driver in the first picture? Its kinda like "Wheres Waldo?"

:biggrin:

Don

Its on the right side behind the little black sub.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Its on the right side behind the little black sub.

Good eye and you mean the LSi9s :smile:

I am loving this combo, pretty insane! Believe it or not, those little LSiM 703s keep up with that sub! I still have to do a room sweep and EQ the sub in its new location, but it is already WAY better where it is now then where it was before. It used to be on the right side of my TV and it must have been in a room null because I could barely get anything impactful out of it. But... it was really the only choice with SRS 2.

I must say, I am very pleased with the Skylan stands. If I ever but stand new, these will definitely be on my short list. Even without being filled with shot, they are very sturdy and solid.

I was hoping some pictures would help lure out any lurkers and convince them to make the trip :smile:

Everyone is welcome!

Don

• JimAckley
    edited September 2011
    Options
    You oughta let me put that thing to better use :wink:
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• dcmartinpc
    edited September 2011
    Options
    JimAckley wrote: »
    You oughta let me put that thing to better use :wink:

Jim, I would love to!! Send me some $$$ and I can ship you off the driver!! :biggrin: I'll make you a deal!

Don

• EndersShadow
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Don:

You dont happen to have or know anyone w/ another set of stands and a speaker selector do you? That way we could A/B the LSi 9's and 703's pretty quick and easily....

Just a thought...