Midwest LSiM Demo Gathering

dcmartinpc
dcmartinpc Posts: 844
edited September 2011 in Gatherings & Special Events
OK, so I am going to try to organize a Midwest LSiM Demo get together. We will only be able to get one set of the new LSiM, either the 703 or the 707. If we can work it out, the date would need to be flexible as I do not know right now when the speakers would be hitting this part of the country. Dorokusai will have more info on that if there is some serious interest here.

I am centrally located to Chicago, Indy, Grand Rapids, Lansing and not that far of a drive from Wisconsin or Detroit/Ann Arbor either. I am in Niles, MI (49120)

Here is a list of my Equipment...

Pre
Adcom GFP-750 Pre - 2-Channel
Onkyo TX-NR808 - Home Theater
HK AVR354 - Bedroom 2-Channel

Amps

Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded with Rubycon Black Gate Caps and numerous other Audio Grade components) (500x2 into 4 ohms)
Parasound HCA-2200II
Paraosund HCA-1500A
Parasound HCA-2205

Source
Logitech Squeezebox Touch (FLAC)
Pioneer DV-79AVi
Pioneer DV-47ai
Pioneer BDP-05FD

I have a smattering of interconnects and speaker cables.

Interconnects

Full complimnet of Ben's Silver
Full compliment of Outlaw PCA
Some lower grade Audio Quest

Speaker Cables

AudioQuest 48V DBS CV4
AudioQuest Granite
PS Audio xStream
MIT EXp 2
Plain old 12 gauge with decent bananas

Current Speakers
Upgraded SDA SRS 2 (Pin/Blade Version)
Magnepan MMG
LSi9 (2 Pairs)
LSi7 If someone wanted to hear them
SDA CRS+

I also have 2 Epik Sentinels I run from time to time managed with an Outlaw ICBM in my 2 Channel rig if someone wanted to hear the 703's with a sub. I could even pull out the TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 in a sealed enclosure if needed :D

My room is 12x20 with the audio situated on the long side.

I think that is pretty much it for demoing purposes.

Any interest? I am thinking it would increase our chances of getting some in the area if we were to host a gathering.

If we can make this work, is there a preference for the 703 or the 707? I did read one of the reviews here that they actually preferred the 703...

Don
Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

Bedroom: HK AVR354, Pioneer DV-47a, Parasound HCA-1500a, Polk LSi9
Post edited by dcmartinpc on

Comments

• cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2011
    Depending on the date it could work if I could get down there for a weekend. I would be coming from central wi so it's about 5 hour drive Maybe a bit more
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    cstmar01 wrote: »
    Depending on the date it could work if I could get down there for a weekend. I would be coming from central wi so it's about 5 hour drive Maybe a bit more

You could come visit your old Sharp projector! Would you have any other equipment you could bring for demo purposes?

I would love to get my ears on a nice external DAC, Tube Preamp and amp, or maybe even an Oppo Universal Player...

Don
    Living Room: Adcom GFP-750 (Upgraded), Squeezebox Touch, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer DV-79AVi, Parasound HCA-3500 (Upgraded), SDA SRS 2 P/B (Gimpod, Sonicaps, & Mills)

Theater: Denon 4311ci, Oppo BDP-93, Parasound HCA-2205+HCA-2200II, Polk LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX, LSi7, Custom 18" TC Sounds sub with 2 18" PR, Sharp XV-Z12000, Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M (isf Enabled)

• cstmar01
    edited August 2011
    I have the adcom 5802 and a nice esoteric dv50. Depending on when it is I might have another pre amp sitting around I could bring
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2011
    This sounds like a great location and your gear is way over qualified. I can get the LSiM 703 to you faster than the LSiM 707, since the West Coast gang will have them tied up for the next month or so. You make the call Don....
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited August 2011

We could ride together.
  • cstmar01
    edited August 2011
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    We could ride together.

Well if youre driving I figure we get there in 20 mins:tongue:P
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited August 2011
    Well if youre driving I figure we get there in 20 mins:tongue:P

He's 186 miles from me so if I drive the Vette we can be ther in less than a hour.:biggrin:
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited August 2011
    You'll crap your pants at the sound coming out of the 703s, but you can't go wrong with the 707s either. Like Russ said on Facebook earlier, they're the best bookshelf under $3k, hands down.

p.s. that's a SICK equipment list. I envy you.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    You'll crap your pants at the sound coming out of the 703s, but you can't go wrong with the 707s either. Like Russ said on Facebook earlier, they're the best bookshelf under $3k, hands down.

p.s. that's a SICK equipment list. I envy you.

The 703 definitely have my attention. Any Midwest guys opposed to the 703 over the 707?

Thanks! I have been really lucky finding great deals on used stuff. :)

Don

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited August 2011
    dcmartinpc wrote: »
    The 703 definitely have my attention. Any Midwest guys opposed to the 703 over the 707?

Thanks! I have been really lucky finding great deals on used stuff. :)

Don

For me personally as long as we have the appropriate "older" version to do a A B comparison it doesnt matter. So since you have the LSi 9's the 703's would work.

Would be interesting to do a LSi 9, modded crossover LSi 9, LSi 703 comparison.....

I might be in totally dependent upon date. I have some major deadlines approaching in October I have been working/planning/focusing on since Mid April that I need to make sure I can meet first.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    For me personally as long as we have the appropriate "older" version to do a A B comparison it doesnt matter. So since you have the LSi 9's the 703's would work.

Would be interesting to do a LSi 9, modded crossover LSi 9, LSi 703 comparison.....

I might be in totally dependent upon date. I have some major deadlines approaching in October I have been working/planning/focusing on since Mid April that I need to make sure I can meet first.

I would love to hear that comparison also! Unfortunately, I do not have a modded set of LSi9's. I do have 2 pairs, one pair in my bedroom setup and one in my Home Theater. I just don't have the extra $$$ to mod the second pair right now. If someone has a pair, I would really like to hear them. Also, my LSi9 stands are DIY and suck, I just thought of that :) If someone has a set to bring, that would be awesome. I really need to invest in some good stands :D

Anyone have any modded LSi9's out there that might be attending this get together/demo?

Any ideas on dates? Saturdays always work best for me. The only Saturday that doesn't work for me that I am aware of is August 13th, which is a little soon anyways! Some Sundays work, but I am usually pretty busy.

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    Any other interest or suggested dates? I would like to try to get something general setup so we can start compiling a list.

Don

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2011
    dcmartinpc wrote: »
    Any other interest or suggested dates? I would like to try to get something general setup so we can start compiling a list.

Don

Saturdays work best for me since the wife works, so I can play during the normal work day.

So for me personally a start time of like 10 would rock (hate to get up soo early on a off day but w/e) to like maybe 6ish (I would probably leave earlier).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    A start time of 10:00 sounds good to me. OK, here are some dates, I will keep the list updated, but let me know which of these work... Just reply back to the thread to let me know. I still need to verify we can get the speakers for these dates, but lets get this going and then I will contact dorokusai.

8/27 - dcmartinpc

9/03 - dcmartinpc

9/10 - dcmartinpc

9/17 - dcmartinpc

9/24 - dcmartinpc

10/1 - dcmartinpc

10/8 - dcmartinpc

I think I would prefer to do it sooner rather than later. But you guys let me know!

Don

• byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited August 2011
    i would have an interest
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    byfthalone wrote: »
    i would have an interest

Is there a particular date or dates that do not work for you?

Don

• byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited August 2011
    Middle September would like be best for me....I now live in Lapeer Michigan and it's 3 hours away
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited August 2011
    Man I wish I could hear the 9 vs 703 comparison. I did a comparison with modded 25s and OEM 7s, but couldn't snag any 9s.
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • trans am
    trans am Posts: 91
    edited August 2011
    OMG I moved out of Minneapolis for NYC. I wish I was there for this demo. You guys should do it with recording legend Steve Albini. At his studio (electrical audio)
    2621 west belmont ave
    chicago, IL 60618
    773-539-9308 have steve do the mixing and calibration.
    You should call him and see if he would be into it. This would be amazing!
    Adcom GFP-750
    Adcom GFA-555II
    Monitor Audio silver RX2
    NAD T585 SACD
    Technics sl-1200mk2 / ortofon m2 blue (signal cable/ Eichmann mod / Sumiko HS-12 Headshell
    Jolida JD9 II / Mulllard Tubes
    SignalCable Ultra speaker cables
    SignalCable Analog 2 IC's
    "ROMANCE WITHOUT FINANCE IS A DAMN NUANCE CAN YOU DIG I???"
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    JimAckley wrote: »
    Man I wish I could hear the 9 vs 703 comparison. I did a comparison with modded 25s and OEM 7s, but couldn't snag any 9s.

I am very excited about the comparison. I am REALLY hoping someone has modded LSi9s for the demo. It would help me make my decision between modding one of my pairs of LSi9s or breaking down and getting the LSiM 703s!!!!

Any other interest? I am thinking September 10th, 17th, or 24th... Which of those dates work best for everyone?

Don

• PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited August 2011
    +1 on having some modded LSi9s on hand. I can't be there, but I'd like to see some comments on how modded 9s stack up to the 703s.
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2011
    The dates that might work for me are: 8/27, 9/03, 9/10, 9/17

Of those I think the weekend of the 17th might work the best for me. My wife is going out of town with her mom for her birthday. I forget if she is leaving Saturday afternoon, or Sunday. Whatever day she leaves (depending on what time) would be best for me since I could be gone all day and not have to check with her :smile:

I am checking with her now and will get back to you hopefully today....

If I am able to attend I could bring my laptop (or desktop if no one has a usb to rca dac). They both have a massive amount of FLAC files so we could do some total digital listening.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    The dates that might work for me are: 8/27, 9/03, 9/10, 9/17

Of those I think the weekend of the 17th might work the best for me. My wife is going out of town with her mom for her birthday. I forget if she is leaving Saturday afternoon, or Sunday. Whatever day she leaves (depending on what time) would be best for me since I could be gone all day and not have to check with her :smile:

I am checking with her now and will get back to you hopefully today....

If I am able to attend I could bring my laptop (or desktop if no one has a usb to rca dac). They both have a massive amount of FLAC files so we could do some total digital listening.

That would be great! Let me know what date works the best, and we will start with that date as our target and go from there! The 17th would be great for me too! The 27th is out now as I am having a tonsillectomy on the 26th!!!

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    OK guys. I am going to make a preliminary call for the date to be September 17th. Who does that work/not work for? I would like to start getting a final list together. I would also be interested if anyone has any gear to bring to swap in and out...

Thanks!

Don

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2011
    I have the LSiM703 loudspeakers so send me your personal information Don, including direct phone and email.

They will ship next week.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    Info sent Mark!

Once we have everything nailed down, I would like to start working out some details over the next week or so.

Thanks everyone!

Don

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2011
    Don the 17th will likely not work for me :frown:. The wife wants to spend the day together since she is leaving late morning on the 18th to go to Chattanooga.

So I would more than likely be able to make the 18th (still not 100% sure in case things change) but the 17th is very unlikely. I will check and see if she would want to come if on the 17th, but not sure that will happen.
  • dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    Keep me posted. I might be able to make the 18th work, I will let you know.

Anyone else?

Don

• dcmartinpc
    edited August 2011
    Looks like the 18th will work also. Shoot me some feedback and let me know what dates work. I will have a couple local guys that will be attending that are not forum members, but I would like to get some more folks from here :D

Don

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2011
    So I just talked to the wife. She said she would be more than happy to show up with me on the 17th.

So lets plan on the 17th being "the date" unless others speak up.