Options
13»

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    My friend owns an Element. Too boxey looking for my tastes.

That ain't boxey, mine is boxey. :biggrin:

I think the Element is pretty cool but the other day I saw 4 people get out of a fairly nice looking one and as each door closed everything rattled and gave me the impression it was a piece of junk. We are talking about a rattle that lasted a second after each door shut, not sure what it was.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jbooker82
    jbooker82 Posts: 1,627
    edited June 2011
    Options
    xj4094dg wrote: »
    Just stay away from the Ford Flex. Its the "Cool-Mom-Car".

I dont have one but would drive this one.

flex.jpg
    AVR: Onkyo Tx-NR808
    Amplifier: Carver A-753x 250 watts x 3
    Fronts: Polk RTI A7 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Center: CSI A4 (modded by Trey VR3)
    Rear: FXI A4
    Sub: Polk DSW Pro 660wi
    TV: LG Infinia 50PX950 3D
    Speaker Cable: AudioQuest Type 8
    IC: AudioQuest Black Mamba II
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Who cares what others think, they are not buying it, you are! It's not a chick car, but not the coolest either. This coming from someone who owns a LTD rav4, Nissan Xtrail, and a Nissan altima (98) which is the car I drive to work everyday. Why cause I don't care and I don't have 1 car payment. If it suites your needs buy it!
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    There's better options for basic transportation with a bit of space. The Fit comes to mind if you have a hard on for Honduh.

Element has acres of reflective surfaces, hard plastic materials that vibrate and next to no sound deadening because you can't get the typical foam and felt materials they use for sound deadening wet when you "hose it out". If you're buying one for a listening environment you must like going to concerts in high school gymnasiums. 'cause that's what it's gonna sound like.

Thats easy to fix. Throw in some thick carpeting that you can remove when you need to use the hose. I'm not smart but I'm sure theres a way to do it. The seats are fabric and hence less reflective than vinyl or leather. The windscreen is huge yes, but it is nearly vertical. If you angle the drivers on the pillars, you can cut reflections of the windshield by a ton. The height of the roof would add delay on reflections and would allow you to get a bigger stage. Deep footwells are great for stage depth.

Lastly, I didn't recommend the Edge for the listening environment. I recommended it because his wife said she wanted something for the family. He was worried about the listening environment. It's a good compromise for both sides.

I know he bought the Edge for practical reasons. The Edge was practical, but the Element could be practical and a good environment.
    The Edge he has was doomed anyway because he already has a bias against Ford. Which makes me wonder why he got it in the first place when he could have gotten any number of the other competitors for similar prices but hey, to each his own.

Bias? What makes you think we're biased??..:wink: jk
    Oh and I have an Edge too. The stock stereo is 5.1 channel surround sound as well. THX Certified! :rolleyes:

But it's not competion grade sound nor environment.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I bought the edge cause we'd just had a kid and I let the wife browbeat me into getting an SUV. I went with Ford cause I get a fleet discount thru my work and got a really good deal on it. I hate it because its a POS. Engine vibrations coming thru into the cab, transmission waiting to 3000 rpm's to engage then launching you forward, lights in the dash burning out, loose gas tank banging around and so on. That's why I want rid of it.

As for the Element sq potential, yes there are lots of flat surfaces, there are also lots of materials out her to address this. Ive heard one or two of these things at various competitions over the years and trust me, they work.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2011
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    I think the Element is pretty cool but the other day I saw 4 people get out of a fairly nice looking one and as each door closed everything rattled and gave me the impression it was a piece of junk. We are talking about a rattle that lasted a second after each door shut, not sure what it was.

My 7 year old Element with 95K on has no rattles...and it has a fairly stiff suspension. What you may have heard were the seat belt buckles. The seat belts and buckles for the front passengers are attached to the rear doors...so with a hard slam they will make some noise...metal on plastic.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hey Shack, how's yours for long trips? We head to Texas once a year (15 hours) and to Ohio once or twice (7 hours). You're a sizable fella like me, how would you rate the long trip comfort?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • shack
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Not too bad. We've taken it to S. Florida, the Upper Michigan peniusula, New Orleans and the Western Arkansas Ozarks from TN....all fairly long trips. The ride is typical of SUVs with fairly stiff suspensions. If you are looking for plush...this isn't your vehicle...but it is comfrotable enough. The driver's seat could use a few more adustments...but again not too bad. I'm 6' 4" tall and even with the seat all the way back there is still LOTS of room for those in the back seat and plenty of room for luggage. Of course head room is not an issue. Got around 24-25 mpg on the HWY (we have the LX awd). The AWD is nice when you get in rain and snow.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think there is a Mercedes SUV around $100K that also looks like a square-assed BRICK, cept it's got the MB hood ornament. BFD, drive what feels right to you and your wallet!:cool:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1003&bih=598&q=boxy+mercedes+suv&gbv=2&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=boxy+merc
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Today a 'MAN'S RIDE" is kinda stupid. Gas prices are so high and such a waste just to LOOK COOL.
    I say if the shoe fits here wear it man. A friend of mine owns one and he loves it. He's a biker and uses it to truck around his bikes. It's a fantastic outdoor man ride.

I drive a Nissan Pathfinder and I love it except the gas it uses. I would love to get into something like this.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So are you getting it Mac?
  • cristo
    cristo Posts: 231
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Are Honda Elements for Girls?

No, if you do stuff in the back seat, you'll get about 50% girls and 50% boys on average 9 or more months later.
    cristo

NAD C 545BEE cd player, Philips AF877 turntable / Shure V15V-MR with JICO SAS stylus,
    Tascam 122 mkIII cassette deck, Harman Kardon 3480 receiver, Terk FM-50 antenna in the attic,
    Soundcraftsmen SE550 stereo equalizer, Polk Monitor 10a speakers
    (with Sonicraft/Solen/Mills crossover rebuild)
  • shack
    edited July 2011
    Options
    cristo wrote:
    Are Honda Elements for Girls?

No, if you do stuff in the back seat, you'll get about 50% girls and 50% boys on average 9 or more months later.

BACK SEAT? The front seat and back seat fold down in tandem to make a nice long "sleeping surface". :biggrin:

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited July 2011
    Options
    I love the Element. Loads of room, decent mileage & I like the looks. Pert near bought one for my daughter but found a bit smaller car, the Honda CRV, which was in better condition.

Like many here, my simple advice is to buy what works for you, regardless of what anyone else says, because most naysayers are saying nay because it doesn't work for them.

& When you DO listen to advice, I think that listening to what owners say is more valuable than what anyone else has to say.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger