Are Honda Elements for Girls?

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited July 2011 in The Clubhouse
So Im in the market for a new ride and I keep talking about the Honda Element cause I think theyre cool as all get out. Hose out, rubber interior, seats remove so I can haul junk and they just beg for a stereo system! Anyways, the wife says theyre girly as hell and I might as well start wearing a dress if I buy one.

So whats the general consensus on these things. Can I retain my man credentials if I buy one of these things or would I have to change my name to Charlotte?

I doubt Ill actually buy one but I want to gather some evidence for proving to the wife Im right. :biggrin:

This is the one I was looking at.

20bf261d0a0a006401ca23ad12fc91a1.jpg
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2011
    Options
    My buddy had one so I'd say no. But, his lasted no more than 7 years and the thing fell apart on him, literally. Lots of interior parts breaking. He swore off Honda after that, and he just got rid of it about 6 months ago. I saw it, there not built to last.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Most of the males I see driving them are Dweebs who probably will never get close to female genitalia ever again after being born. Those cars don't look terribly "colision friendly" either.:smile:
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Was in the same boat in 2003 when they first came out. I thought they were ugly as hell, but you don't have to look at it when you're driving it. :biggrin: Definitely the most useful, utilitarian vehicle I've ever known. Perfect for dogs and mountain bikes; performs very well in snow. Very few downsides IMO (mileage and minor interior inconveniences). Still driving my 2003. Besides regular basic maintenance (oil changes, etc), I've probably put less than $1500 (tires, windshield, serp belt) into it in 8 years / 75k miles.

If it requires changing your name, sign me up.
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited June 2011
    Options
    It doesn't say "masculine" but its fine. Just stay away from the Ford Flex. Its the "Cool-Mom-Car".

Honda make great cars.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2011
    Options
    You can also hose out the inside of an FJ Cruiser and it's a more capable vehicle (in that it handles off road duty very well).

The look of the FJ has grown on me over the years, the Element not so much.

It's all personal preference though, drive whatever you want
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2011
    Options
    gdb wrote: »
    Most of the males I see driving them are Dweebs who probably will never get close to female genitalia ever again after being born. :

Thats a good way of saying....yes.:smile:

Have to agree too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited June 2011
    Options
    +1 on the FJ Cruiser. Not so much a Honda fan.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i big dude like you emerging from that vehicle??? in a society where judgements run rampant, i had to choose option #4. not that i'd particularly say that to your face or anything.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Buy the Element and leave your man-card at home. Never admit to owning one, and remember that if you get pulled over while driving one, the guys here will find out and ridicule you without mercy.:tongue:

Seriously though, if you are leaning towards one of these, check out the Subaru Forester or the Outback Sport. All-wheel drive, safety, reliability AND you get to keep the man-card.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    My friend owns an Element. Too boxey looking for my tastes. We own an 03 Tacoma p/u and an 04 Forester. Love the Subaru. Nice styling, fun to drive, very nimble and easy on gas. One of the safest SUVs on the road today.

8db366de43.jpg

Looks like it's leaking a lot of fluids. :biggrin:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polktiger
    polktiger Posts: 556
    edited June 2011
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Hose out, rubber interior, seats remove so I can haul junk and they just beg for a stereo system!

Sounds link you want a pick-up truck or a cargo van. If it so nasty that "hosing it out" is warranted, I would not want it in the passenger compartment of my vehicle. Also, I wouldn't spend any money for a stereo system that will in any way be installed in an area you intend to "hose out."
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I think Shack owns an Element....
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited June 2011
    Options
    if you get one just remember to pick up a foo foo coffee from Starbucks every morning too
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I know most people are just messing with you, but seriously, who cares what people say about the looks of your car?

Maybe I'm just projecting because I drive a little **** Subaru, but if it works for you, go with it. If all it takes is a car to push you from being a man to being a chick, the car is not the problem.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well, the good thing about getting one of those is you don't have to worry about having any more kids...since, you know, you'll have to give up your balls and everything.

-Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited June 2011
    Options
    i drive a little **** subaru
    wth!?!?
    the wife says theyre girly as hell and I might as well start wearing a dress if I buy one.
    After a comment like that, if i were you, which i clearly am not, i'd start looking at Internationals just to reclaim some of my manhood! Pass on it and get a real vehicle.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Personally like the FJ & Toyota Highlander over the Element.

P.S. Cool to see a Polkie in Chat town. Hit up Taco Mac and the Chattanooga Cupcake Factory for me :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Plus if you check post #14 of this thread you can see they will safely transport large speakers as long as you elevate over the wheel hump.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101691

Seriously tho, this is my brother n laws. Not my style but VERY practical as mentioned above. All wheel drive, the rear seat can hang or be removed, good gas milage. Good luck.
  • devani
    devani Posts: 1,497
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Element will be discontinued due to lack of sales

the current model is at least 7-8 years old....

no it's not worth it
    Video: LG 55LN5100/Samsung LNT4065F
    Receiver: HK AVR445
    Source: OPPO BDP-93
    HT: POLK SPEAKERS RTi6, FXi3, CSi5, VTF-3 MK2
    2Ch system: MC2105, AR-XA, AR-2A, AR9, BX-300, OPPO BDP-83
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well this sucks. Guess the wife was right. I posted this poll on another forum i frequent, one which is definitely not as PC and loveable as this one and got the same results. Fortunately, I didn't tell her I was posting these polls and since it proves her right, of course I won't tell her about it. :biggrin:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • suprafantx
    suprafantx Posts: 249
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I never saw a real man drove the Element.
    Living room
    Speakers: McIntosh XR100 Fronts, LSIM707 Fronts, LSIM 706 Center, LSIM 703 Surrounds, LSi/FX Surround backs.
    Player: Oppo 95.
    Amps: Bryston 4B SST, B&K Ref 200.7 S2.
    Pres: B&K Ref 50 S2, Paraound P5.
    Subs: Dual Rythmik F15HP subs.

Man Cave
    Speakers: Martin Logan Vistas.
    Player: OPPO 105.
    Preamp: B&K Ref 50 S2.
    Amp: B&K Ref 125.2 S2
    Sub: Rythmik F12.
    Sub management: SMS-1.
    Headphones: HD800, HD380, RS220, SRH-1840. Headphone amp: Woo WA2.
    Room treatment: GIK Room Kit #1.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2011
    Options
    suprafantx wrote: »
    I never saw a real man drove the Element.

I'll say it again : I never saw a real man judge his manhood by the kind of car he drives.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Hondas are awesome and we have a Pilot. The Element is not a girl car, just a neat little utility car.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited June 2011
    Options
    If you were single...nah

But who cares when your married
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited June 2011
    Options
    If you have to ask, you already know the answer.....:biggrin:
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2011
    Options
    This thread is pathetic.

BTW, I voted that you were a chick but not because of the Element. Just on principle alone.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2011
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I'll say it again : I never saw a real man judge his manhood by the kind of car he drives.

Shut up you **** little ****! Nobody asked you! :tongue:
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I own one....A versatile and well thought out vehicle. The only issue is the "suicide" rear doors in tight spaces. Hauled all sorts of stuff in it. Camped in in. We have 95,000 on our 2004 with NO issues whatsoever. I would buy another...but won't need to for several more years.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I never liked the element; but i love hondas. I have a 98 accord still going strong with 175K miles. Woke up this morning to find out some punk threw rocks throough the window and 5 other neighbors as well. But all in all, the Honda has treated me right all the time.

I would vote for the FJ cruiser in a similar style
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I just got back from 6 days of mtn bike riding in Oakridge, Or. and the Element was the most common vehicle seen hauling up to 4 bikes and riders. My friend has one and he loves it. I drive a wrx so I will say the Element is not a "drivers" car. Not nearly as fun to drive as the wrx. The Element gets poor fuel economy in the 4wd model-20mpg. If you want a better 4wd the forester is much better. Just my 2 cents.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server