Logitech Squeezebox Touch vs. Duet

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2011
    Now I'm jealous, too late to cancel mine.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited April 2011
    nspindel wrote: »

You should've ordered one from the guy I got mine from! :wink: Arrived earlier than expected, good condition as described, and I connected it this morning to give it a test run. All's good! Thanks Neil! :smile: Hope your Touch arrives soon!
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Wow! You must have gotten it from one super guy!

I can't believe you have it in hand already. The post office has been impressing me lately. I sold a pair of headphones to a dude on head-fi from Sweden. The package was under 4 pounds, so I didn't need to ship it Priority, I shipped first class. He had them in hand in one week.

Glad you're happy, hope it keeps a smile on your face for a long time.

As for my Touch, I'm not even shipping it to myself, it's going to Bolder first to do some mods, then Wayne is shipping it to me. Patience is a virtue I am told...
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • DMara
    DMara Posts: 1,434
    edited April 2011

If Amazon shows you can't cancel the order, you can still send an email to the seller (J&R) via a link on the order page asking them to cancel it. I did it that way, and they're very quick at complying to your request.
    By the way, I placed the order with Crutchfield yesterday, and early this morning I already got the UPS Ground tracking number.
    Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
    Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
    Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
    audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Just called J&R because I couldn't pull the order up online. They don't even have stock for these, no wonder why it hasn't shipped yet. God I hate when merchants advertise cheap prices on items they don't even have in stock!

Ordering from Crutchfield now, thanks for the tip!
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Wow. Just got an email from Crutchfield that my order has shipped. Now we're talkin'!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited April 2011
    Upper left? No, it's bottom left. Just to the left of the "|<<" button is a little icon, the shape of which is different depending on the type of player. Pushing that should toggle the player on and off.

Just to note, in the version of ipeng for the iPad that I downloaded late last week, it is indeed in the upper left corner. Im sure he's found it by now though...

Screenshot
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, but he said he was using an iPod touch. The iPod/iPhone version and iPad version are completely different screen layouts.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
  • mdaudioguy
    edited April 2011
    Seems to be some good info there, although I'm not qualified to fact-check it all.

On another note, seeing the deal mentioned here from Crutchfield on the Touch, and realizing I had enough credit card rewards available for $250 in Crutchfield gift cards, I went and ordered one this evening for $4.99 out of pocket. :biggrin:

Now I'll be up to 4 zones... :smile:
  • WGDB
    WGDB Posts: 162
    edited April 2011
    I love my Squeeze box Touch guys - and the internet stations are infinite. Pretty cool little gadget that sounds great. My entire 66 gigs of music is streaming Apple lossless. Here's another great feature. The Touch doesn't interface with the TV monitor, however, if I do turn the TV monitor on, I can access and calibrate my sound through my SC 35's AVR OSD setup. Nice option for fine tuning.
    Pioneer Elite SC-35, Polk RTA (Real Time Array) 12's,
    Polk Monitor 40 surrounds, Polk CSiA4 Center,
    Polk PSW125, Sharp LC-46D62U,
    Panasonic DMP-BD85, Harmony One,
    iMac streaming an Apple TVII, or Squeezebox Touch
    Bedroom Rig~Sony STRDG-920, Polk Monitor 60 fronts, Polk RM6750 Satellites and Sub, Panasonic DMP-BD85
    Rabbit Hole Rig~Yamaha CA1010, Yamaha CT1010, Polk SDA 2A's, Teac A1500 R2R
  • WGDB
    WGDB Posts: 162
    edited April 2011
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Seems to be some good info there, although I'm not qualified to fact-check it all.

On another note, seeing the deal mentioned here from Crutchfield on the Touch, and realizing I had enough credit card rewards available for $250 in Crutchfield gift cards, I went and ordered one this evening for $4.99 out of pocket. :biggrin:

Now I'll be up to 4 zones... :smile:

I did a few of his Squeeze Center line item setup mods - couldn't really tell any difference. As I recall, he's changed his power supply also. I'm okay with the stock power supply at this time.
    Pioneer Elite SC-35, Polk RTA (Real Time Array) 12's,
    Polk Monitor 40 surrounds, Polk CSiA4 Center,
    Polk PSW125, Sharp LC-46D62U,
    Panasonic DMP-BD85, Harmony One,
    iMac streaming an Apple TVII, or Squeezebox Touch
    Bedroom Rig~Sony STRDG-920, Polk Monitor 60 fronts, Polk RM6750 Satellites and Sub, Panasonic DMP-BD85
    Rabbit Hole Rig~Yamaha CA1010, Yamaha CT1010, Polk SDA 2A's, Teac A1500 R2R
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,108
    edited April 2011
    Buy the app, and enable playback (which is an additional couple of bucks). Open a port 9000 on your router and forward to your squeezebox server, and your itouch can play your squeezebox collection from anywhere you have wifi.

Two questions for you squeezebox gurus...

1. Can I stream music from home on my laptop computer at work (different computer than my library is on) using the squeezebox server?
    2. Can I do what nspindel is doing above with my samsung captivate and the free logitech squeezebox app (which is what I use to control the squeezebox at home)?

Main question is how using either a laptop or my captivate can I stream my lossless library while at work, or is it possible?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    1. Yes, if you open the ports as I described, you can open a stream through Windows Media Player, and then control it through the browser.

2. No I don't think the logitech app is a streaming player, just a controller. I could be wrong though, I've never used it.
  • rooftop59
    edited April 2011
    thanks nspindel! Forgive my ignorance, but how do I open the ports on my router?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    That one you're going to have to google, every router is different. You need to open port 9000 and forward to the ip address of your server. Best bet is to give your server a static ip address.

Also, you'll need to be able to browse to your home, which is generally complicated by the fact that most isp's do not give you a static ip, so you never know what your address is. This can be solved by using a dynamic dns service, such as dyndns. You'll get an actual URL to browse to, and then you run a little widget inside your house (some routers have the widget built in) that constantly checks your ip address and updates the dns automatically any time there's a change. Very useful, as you no longer need to worry about what your ip address is.
  • rooftop59
    edited April 2011
    oh crap I'm a reasonably technically-abled philosopher but still a philosopher:eek: When I decided to take my old linksys wrt54g and flash it and turn it into a wireless bridge that ended up taking me like 20 hours. Its pretty sweet now that its done but I enjoy listening to pandora one at work and it looks like its gonna stay that way. :wink:

It was worth a shot, thanks for the help.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    It's not as hard as it sounds...
  • DMara
    edited April 2011
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    2. Can I do what nspindel is doing above with my samsung captivate and the free logitech squeezebox app (which is what I use to control the squeezebox at home)?

2. No I don't think the logitech app is a streaming player, just a controller. I could be wrong though, I've never used it.

I have no idea about the Logitech app, however users can definitely stream music from an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to the Squeezbox receiver via the iPeng Playback app (iPeng is $9.99, iPeng Playback costs an additional $4.99).
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
  • rooftop59
    edited April 2011
    Yea my wife has an iphone but have a captivate so that wont work for me unless there is an android equivalent. I need to look back over the thread i think that someone mentioned one...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mdaudioguy
    edited April 2011
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Yea my wife has an iphone but have a captivate so that wont work for me unless there is an android equivalent. I need to look back over the thread i think that someone mentioned one...

Squeeze Commander! Works great on my Captivate. :smile:
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited April 2011
    I just missed out on the sale amazon had going noooooooooooooooooooo . when I got home after work they were gone so I thought I would order one for breakfast today
  • rooftop59
    edited April 2011
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Squeeze Commander! Works great on my Captivate. :smile:

So with squeeze commander you can stream from your library at home when you are out of the house? I am content with the logitech app for controlling things at home, I am just looking to stream my library outside the home.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • DMara
    edited April 2011
    Question for you iPeng users: how do I make it show the file info (bit-rate, file size, file type, tag, etc.) while playing? I was able to do that with the Duet controller but haven't figured it out with the iPeng app yet.
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm, not sure that you can. I've never seen anyplace to configure the details on the now-playing screen. I just see the basic Artist/Title/Album stuff.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Btw, got my shipping confirmation that my modded Touch is complete and Wayne (Bolder Cable) has shipped it to me. I should be 2496-tastic next week.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I don't think you can either. I wonder if SqueezePad allows for this?
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Hey, AsSiMiLaTeD, I saw your bliss-system thread. No Squeezebox in there?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it's in there, even mentioned it in the post :-)

The Touch is now my primary source for music playback on anything except SACD
  • DMara
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the clarification, guys. That'll help me stop looking for it obsessively :biggrin:

Btw, got my shipping confirmation that my modded Touch is complete and Wayne (Bolder Cable) has shipped it to me. I should be 2496-tastic next week.

Congrats :smile: I'm thinking about following your footstep. However I am also looking at acquiring a Wyred 4 Sound Dac-2 as an external DAC/pre-amp solution. I might spend my money there first before getting to Bolder.
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms: