Logitech Squeezebox Touch vs. Duet

DMara
DMara Posts: 1,434
edited September 2011 in Electronics
I have a couple questions and hope our CP experts can help clarify:

1. What's the difference between the little receiver that came with the Squeezebox Duet and the Squeezebox Touch? Is the Touch better per audio quality?

2. I currently own the Duet. If I buy an additional Squeezebox Touch for another zone, will I be able to use the Duet controller to control the Touch?
Gears shared to both living room & bedroom:
Integra DHC-80.3 / Oppo BDP-105 / DirecTV HR24 DVR /APC S15blk PC-UPS
Living room:
LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
Bedroom:
Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
Other rooms:
Audioengine AP4's / GLOW Audio Sub One / audio-gd NFB-3 DAC / Audioengine N22
audio-gd NFB-10.2 / Denon AH-D7000
Post edited by DMara on

Comments

• Zaigrith
    Zaigrith Posts: 42
    edited April 2011
    I can use the duet controller to control my squeeze-box boom, so i imagine that it would work. I can also synchronize them and use them both with the one controller. I had a hard time trying to figure out how to change devices on the duet remote, but i believe you hold down the back button while at the home screen until you are presented with the list of devices on your network.
    HT:
    TV: Samsung UN55C8000 | Player: OPPO BDP-95 | Games: Xbox360 / PS3 | Party Music: Squeezebox Duet
    Mains: LSi15 | Center: LSiC | Surrounds: LSiFX | Sub: SVS 20-39pci
    Pre-Amp: Outlaw 990 | Power-Amp: Outlaw 7700
    Cabinet: Salamander Synergy Twin 30 | Speaker Wire: Lowes 12AG w/ monoprice banana plugs
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,116
    edited April 2011
    The Touch has better DAC's supposedly as well as the screen on the unit and accepts USB devices.

The Duet controller should control the Touch. I wasn't aware you could buy a Duet reciever without the remote.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited April 2011
    It is my understanding you can use the Duet remote to control any of the Squeezebox devices. You can buy just the Duet remote with out the base. MSRP $299.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The Duet controller should control the Touch. I wasn't aware you could buy a Duet reciever without the remote.

H9
    I don't believe you can anymore.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2011
    The Touch is supposed to have very good sound quality, much better than the Squeezebox Classic from what I understand. I have one on order, really looking forward to getting it. Also, besides the Transporter, the Touch is the only Squeezebox that can play 2496 audio without downsampling.

You should be able to control any SB with the Duet controller. Personally, I hate that controller. If you have an iphone, ipod touch, or ipad, check out the app called iPeng. It is a great Squeezebox controller, it destroys the Duet controller, and turns you ios device into a Squeezebox player as well.

Yes, you can get a receiver without the remote - the product name is just called the Squeezebox Receiver. Beware, though - there's a funky reason why you need at least one Controller if you're using a Receiver. The only way to get the Receiver connected with your server is through the Controller, you can't do that with iPeng.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Face wrote: »
    I don't believe you can anymore.

Ah, Face is right, looks like they've gotten rid of the player as a standalone product.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,723
    edited April 2011
    For the iPad, SqueezePad is a much better app as it is designed for the iPad, whereas iPeng is not.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,116
    edited April 2011
    Also Android has an app (Squeeze Commander) that is almost identical to the iPeng app. I've used both and they are excellent.

If it were me I'd get the Touch. I don't use the internal dac so I can't comment beyond what I've read.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    For the iPad, SqueezePad is a much better app as it is designed for the iPad, whereas iPeng is not.

There is an iPad version of iPeng. It's a completely different app designed for iPad, you need to purchase it separately. It's called iPengHD. It is excellent.
  • Zaigrith
    Zaigrith Posts: 42
    edited April 2011
    I was using the android app yesterday(the free one from Logitech) and I was impressed. It was a little more cumbersome on the large list of artists, but overall I like being able to control from my phone. I definitely recommended checking it out if you have a phone that can run it.
    HT:
    TV: Samsung UN55C8000 | Player: OPPO BDP-95 | Games: Xbox360 / PS3 | Party Music: Squeezebox Duet
    Mains: LSi15 | Center: LSiC | Surrounds: LSiFX | Sub: SVS 20-39pci
    Pre-Amp: Outlaw 990 | Power-Amp: Outlaw 7700
    Cabinet: Salamander Synergy Twin 30 | Speaker Wire: Lowes 12AG w/ monoprice banana plugs
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited April 2011
    nspindel wrote: »
    It is a great Squeezebox controller, it destroys the Duet controller, and turns you ios device into a Squeezebox player as well.

Are you saying I can actually make my itouch play music from the SQB server? How?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Buy the app, and enable playback (which is an additional couple of bucks). Open a port 9000 on your router and forward to your squeezebox server, and your itouch can play your squeezebox collection from anywhere you have wifi.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    I barely ever add music to my iphone any more. I just stream it from home. I sit at my desk in my office listening to my home squeezebox server all day long. Thank you AT&T unlimited data plan...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2011
    There is an iPad version of iPeng. It's a completely different app designed for iPad, you need to purchase it separately. It's called iPengHD. It is excellent.

Wierd, that did not come up the other day when I did a search, the regular iPeng did come up and so did Squeezepad but not iPengHD
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Can SqueezePad be a player?
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Basically iPeng now has Squeezecast built into it.
  • DMara
    edited April 2011
    You guys are awesome!!! Thanks so much for all of those good infos icon14.gif
    Living room:
    LSiM707's / LSiM706c / LSiM702 F/X's / dual JL Audio Fathom F113's / Parasound Halo A51 / Panasonic 65" TC-P65VT50
    Bedroom:
    Usher Dancer Mini 2 Diamond DMD's / Logitech SB Touch / W4S STP-SE / W4S DAC-2 / W4S ST-1000 / Samsung 52" LN52B750
    Other rooms:
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    We aim to please around here...
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2011
    Buy the app, and enable playback (which is an additional couple of bucks). Open a port 9000 on your router and forward to your squeezebox server, and your itouch can play your squeezebox collection from anywhere you have wifi.

Didn't know that. I alredy have iPeng. But now that I think of it, why would I want to add this when I already have two SQB touch to play in the house....
    I barely ever add music to my iphone any more. I just stream it from home. I sit at my desk in my office listening to my home squeezebox server all day long. Thank you AT&T unlimited data plan...

I'm doing this with Pandora in my blackberry. Can't get any better than that.....Is there a sqb controller for the BB?????

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Ricardo wrote: »
    ...why would I want to add this when I already have two SQB touch to play in the house....

To play outside of the house.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2011
    I ended up grabbing iPeng because it works well in both portrait and landscape mode and has everything I need, glad you mentioned it.

I'm also going to buy SqueezePad and give it a try later.
  • Ricardo
    edited April 2011
    To play outside of the house.

I can see that with an iPhone, but at least in my case I don't see that happening with the iTouch.

BTW found this for the blackberry. It works, though the screen is way too small and the zoom is a bit cumbersome.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Blackberry

SOPA
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2011
    I was going to create a separate thread, but figured I'd start by posting in this thread first.

I got a Squeezebox Classic today and I'm thrilled with the sound quality even using the DAC in the unit and the analog outputs, sounds very good. I am having a minor issue though.

I believe this issue is not with the Squeezebox itself, but rather the iPengHD app I'm using to control it. Sometime when I'm listening to one song and then select another song from my library to begin playing the song doesn't actually start. The app will show that it's playing, but no sound, then after maybe 30 seconds or so of blank air it will just skip to the next song on that album, and then I can hit the back button to play the song I originally chose. Clear as mud? Good.

The odd thing is that this doesn't happen when I play something from either the Squeezebox itself or from the web interfact that the SB server runs.

Any thoughts?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited April 2011
    Ah, Face is right, looks like they've gotten rid of the player as a standalone product.
    Yeah, really threw a wrench into my plans to have 5 separate zones in my house. I was buying them one at a time whenever I had the extra money. As I was ready to purchase my third, I was surprised to not be able to find them anywhere, except e-bay, where opportunistic sellers wanted about $300 for a receiver alone. So, I think my third zone will be a Touch. I guess I could find some older, used models for the rest of the zones, but only the Duet receivers and the Touch are wireless... Oh well.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2011
    (Squeezebox Touch) + (Ipad+Squeezepad App)= WINNER!!!

Love my setup.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • DMara
    edited April 2011
    II believe this issue is not with the Squeezebox itself, but rather the iPengHD app I'm using to control it. Sometime when I'm listening to one song and then select another song from my library to begin playing the song doesn't actually start. The app will show that it's playing, but no sound, then after maybe 30 seconds or so of blank air it will just skip to the next song on that album, and then I can hit the back button to play the song I originally chose. Clear as mud? Good.

In the very far away past something like that happened to me, but I was playing some "hidef" music via Windows Media Player, a below average PCI soundcard & a moderate CPU. Did you notice the quality of those files? Was it different to the rest?
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms:
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Yeah, really threw a wrench into my plans to have 5 separate zones in my house. I was buying them one at a time whenever I had the extra money. As I was ready to purchase my third, I was surprised to not be able to find them anywhere, except e-bay, where opportunistic sellers wanted about $300 for a receiver alone. So, I think my third zone will be a Touch. I guess I could find some older, used models for the rest of the zones, but only the Duet receivers and the Touch are wireless... Oh well.

Squeezebox Classic, aka Squeezebox 3 is wireless. I have one that I can sell, actually, because I have a Touch on order, and I'll end up with a spare player (have 4 already...). PM me if you're interested.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    Lasareath wrote: »

The infamous Transporter. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. Asked many times, never really answered. It's the same concept as the other dedicated players (eg Touch and Duet - just plugs into preamp, doesn't have any speakers like the Boom or Radio).

It's marketed as the audiophile version of the Squeezebox platform. I've never heard one, so I can't comment on sound quality. It has a few features besides just higher spec electronics that the others don't have:

1. Fully balanced analog outs.
    2. You can use it as a dac for another digital device.
    3. It can player higher bitrate music. Other than the Touch, the other players will only play up to 1644. The Touch will play 2496 (good enough for my hirez needs). Transporter will play up to 192khz natively, with no downsampling.
    4. It has a balanced AES/BSU digital output.

From the reviews I've read the sound quality is definitely great, but there are mods to be done to the Touch, SB3, and Duet that can make them sound pretty amazing, too.
  • nspindel
    edited April 2011
    I was going to create a separate thread, but figured I'd start by posting in this thread first.

I got a Squeezebox Classic today and I'm thrilled with the sound quality even using the DAC in the unit and the analog outputs, sounds very good. I am having a minor issue though.

I believe this issue is not with the Squeezebox itself, but rather the iPengHD app I'm using to control it. Sometime when I'm listening to one song and then select another song from my library to begin playing the song doesn't actually start. The app will show that it's playing, but no sound, then after maybe 30 seconds or so of blank air it will just skip to the next song on that album, and then I can hit the back button to play the song I originally chose. Clear as mud? Good.

The odd thing is that this doesn't happen when I play something from either the Squeezebox itself or from the web interfact that the SB server runs.

Any thoughts?

I think I remember something like this happening as well, a long time ago. Not quite sure what I did to fix it but haven't seen that happen in a very long time. What version of squeezecenter are you running?
  • DMara
    edited April 2011
    3. It can player higher bitrate music. Other than the Touch, the other players will only play up to 1644. The Touch will play 2496 (good enough for my hirez needs). Transporter will play up to 192khz natively, with no downsampling.

I've been playing 2496 with the Duet receiver connected to my Denon AVR4810ci via analog IC connections without any issue. When I go to "more info" on the Duet controller to view the file properties, it does show 2496. Was it downsampling when output though?
    Living room:
    Bedroom:
    Other rooms: