Definitive Technology BP7000SC Mod Thread

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited April 2011
    I have not modified them - but I have modified alot of DT speakers..

SM450 (x4)
    CLR1000
    BP20
    BP7000SC
    CLR3000

They are all the same pretty much...

I have seen pictures of Leroyjrs and they are definitely no different.

Yours speakers will greatly benefit from mods. If you do indeed like them - modifications will increase their performance ten fold if you get the appropriate parts. IMO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2011
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited April 2011
    ve?

email me at

vr3mxdmicblce2k7 at gmail dot com

SORry, fat fingers on a small phone, I meant I will supply speakers and the cost of the parts. LOL
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Ah yes - I think the Mythos fall under my 30 dollars per board if I remember correctly.

Yep - send me the xovers and Ill get you some part quotes :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • leroyjr1
    edited April 2011
    Question about internal volume. I know it was brought up in the lsi 9 thread. Unlike the lsi 9's the mythos ST mid drivers don't handle any of the bass. With that said does changing the internal volume matter as much as it would with a speaker handling lower frequencies? Just asking because depending on the cap size the enternal volume will be eaten up and that's if the caps fit. There's only an inch or two behind the crossover if that. Will have to check when I get home.
    ST_STS_cutaway_small.jpg
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    It wont make a HUGE difference but it definitely will take up alot of space in there..

I would recommend Clarity Cap ESA 250v for Mythos owners personally - they are half the size of the regular 600v series...

We can also relocate caps to the bottom of the chamber
  • leroyjr1
    edited April 2011
    Yep, nothing special with the stock crossovers. Here's a couple pics of the ST's. Now you got me all excited again.:biggrin:

photo-143.jpg?t=1303014996
    photo-142.jpg?t=1303014996

And here's the Mythos Ten center.

photo-144.jpg?t=1303015329
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    See thats not to bad - mostly resistors - should be plausible and relocate that big cap to the bottom of the chamber
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2011
    You can probably leave that 20w resistor alone.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Why not spend the 13 bucks and throw in a mundorf supreme of awesomeness?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2011
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Yep, nothing special with the stock crossovers. Here's a couple pics of the ST's. Now you got me all excited again.:biggrin:

photo-143.jpg?t=1303014996
    photo-142.jpg?t=1303014996

And here's the Mythos Ten center.

photo-144.jpg?t=1303015329

If you do the Crossover mods , I'm super curious on how it turns out. let me know as if it is a positive I'm willing to head in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited April 2011
    Actually I'm very curious on how you know what to replace? How do you know what is going to improve or even hinder performance?
    Is this a trial and error process or is there a better replacement for part A ?

Ok you guys got my undivided attention , teach me I am your sworn student.
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Technically the caps, resistors and iron core inductors are all replaceable.

Capacitors make a huge difference in sound quality and Definitive is using a cheap, crappy caps - it is the same as you wiring up your stereo with HD wire.

Clarity Cap MR is like the mack daddy of cables in caps -- the difference is night and day too. The best way to describe it would be - there is no cap in the chain almost. The ESA which comes in 250v and 630v - is similar to the MR but alot less money.

As far as resistors - the resistors DT is using are inductive so replacing them with non inductive resistors is a must -

These resistors, manufactured using a patented film type construction, have been designed specifically to minimise the self-inductance inherent to a small extent in all such components. In the most demanding audio applications, they can offer improvements in sound quality by reducing the extremely low-level, but nonetheless audible distortion, which may be generated by the inductance of conventional resistors. With power ratings as high as 5W, their use in loudspeaker crossover assemblies, to improve sound quality, becomes a feasible proposition.

The use of these Non-Inductive Resistors in high quality transistor based audio amplifers has been shown to produce a 'softer', 'sweeter' sound - comparable in some respects with the characteristic sound of valve designs.

They may also be used to advantage in audio instrumentation, and other applications where extremely low levels of distortion are necessary. The reduction of switching spikes in power supplies and controllers by using Non-Inductive Resistors can sometimes allow expensive bipolar power transistors or similarly costly components to be designed out of the circuits offering considerable savings in manufacture.

You change your cables out because you can hear a difference - why not change out that five dollar crossover with something of value and performance
  • mantis
    edited April 2011
    How long does it take for these mods on average? I have an extra Mythos ST sub amp which I believe holds the crossover network. But from looking at leroyjr1's crossover pic's , there is a crossover in the sealed midrange and tweeter section. I'm wondering if I can get one of these crossovers from Def Tech or a pair and send them to you for upgrades. I would gladly pay for all parts and what you want to do the work. I would also invite you here for a before and after listen as if I had my factory originals and then the mod crossovers , we could really sit and listen to the differences. Hell I also could bring home a pair of Mythos ST's we have on the floor for a direct VS crossover battle.
    You know I have been considering for the last few months if I should move into a different speaker package , B&W , Klipsch and Totem are all on my short list. But I do love my ST's enough to try and squeeze out the last note on them.

So what do you think my man?
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    My average turn around is 2-3 weeks - Based on the crossover itself - if we can keep it internal it could only be 1-2 weeks + transit.

To expedite the process I would need to know the values of the crossovers otherwise you can ship to me. Slows it down a little bit but not to bad
  • mantis
    edited April 2011
    My average turn around is 2-3 weeks - Based on the crossover itself - if we can keep it internal it could only be 1-2 weeks + transit.

To expedite the process I would need to know the values of the crossovers otherwise you can ship to me. Slows it down a little bit but not to bad

I'm gonna call my Rep Monday and see if I can get all the crossovers. If so I would like to contact you and go for a crossover upgrade. I plan on keeping my original crossovers for if and when I do decide to sell them so I can offer the buyer both ways.
    Hell now that I'm gonna fool around with the crossovers , maybe I should get 3 Mythos 10 stock crossovers and do them 2. I use the Mythos 10 as a center channel as well as my surrounds. Dude they really sound fantastic with SACD and DVD audio tracks as the synergy is amazing.

Sorry for hi jacking your 7000 thread here but you peaked my curiosity. I have a Audiophile salesman at our company who is always trying to convince me to do this very thing you do. He builds his own sub woofers and mods all of his speakers. He's a huge tweaker and have been doing it since the 70's. He's one hell of a guy.
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    I would highly recommend modding your center channel as your ST speakers will sound nothing like they do now. Similar sound traits - but they will disappear, their imaging will greatly improve - the high end will become smoother and more detailed...

It really is a night and day difference when you use top notch parts vs. dayton.

Dont worry about hi-jacking the thread, it is not a serious on topic thread - but more of a talk of modding crossovers thread.

When you are ready shoot me a PM and we will go from there! :)
  • mantis
    edited April 2011
    I would highly recommend modding your center channel as your ST speakers will sound nothing like they do now. Similar sound traits - but they will disappear, their imaging will greatly improve - the high end will become smoother and more detailed...

It really is a night and day difference when you use top notch parts vs. dayton.

Dont worry about hi-jacking the thread, it is not a serious on topic thread - but more of a talk of modding crossovers thread.

Will do!
    Dan
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    /i cant wait to hear your impression!
  • truwarrior22
    truwarrior22 Posts: 18
    edited April 2011

I'm looking forward to what you just mentioned above. I know the room and recording plays a big part too, but I often find my self looking at the speaker and saying to myself, it sounds like the sound is coming directly from the left speaker and so forth...kinda dissappointing with bipolar speakers lol. I kinda feel that I enjoyed the BP7002 better (better mid bass) then the BP7000 at times, though the BP7000SC have much better highs and more powerful subwoofer. The BP7002 also use completely different mid bass drivers, but I'm not sure about the tweeter. It might be the same tweeter used in the BP7000SC and BP7002 with even lower end caps in the BP7002.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    I will be interested to see how your bipolar speakers react to the mods.

One suggestion I can give you right off the bat is to throw a fake plant of some fashion behind the towers...
  • blueboxer
    edited April 2011
    Dan, you hijacked my offer to ship mine! LOL

If your distributor offers to sale the crossovers separately, I am in as well. Figure it would be worth it to have an extra set around. THIs could get fun and open up a whole new customer base for mods.

Sonny
  • truwarrior22
    edited April 2011
    I will be interested to see how your bipolar speakers react to the mods.

One suggestion I can give you right off the bat is to throw a fake plant of some fashion behind the towers...

I have 4 GKI tri traps in the corners next to the bipole speakers so there isn't much room because I also project video to the wall. :frown: Otherwise I would try a GIK GridFusor, etc. I'll try some no rez . Maybe some cabinet resonances is causing this, but the cabinet does seem pretty solid.
  • leroyjr1
    edited April 2011

mantis wrote: »
    How long does it take for these mods on average? I have an extra Mythos ST sub amp which I believe holds the crossover network. But from looking at leroyjr1's crossover pic's , there is a crossover in the sealed midrange and tweeter section. I'm wondering if I can get one of these crossovers from Def Tech or a pair and send them to you for upgrades. I would gladly pay for all parts and what you want to do the work. I would also invite you here for a before and after listen as if I had my factory originals and then the mod crossovers , we could really sit and listen to the differences. Hell I also could bring home a pair of Mythos ST's we have on the floor for a direct VS crossover battle.
    You know I have been considering for the last few months if I should move into a different speaker package , B&W , Klipsch and Totem are all on my short list. But I do love my ST's enough to try and squeeze out the last note on them.

So what do you think my man?

The crossovers are in back of the tweeters in the sealed midrange section, not with the subs. I would contact Bajawaverunner on eBay, he usually has spare DT parts for sale cheap.
  • truwarrior22
    edited April 2011
    Here's a link to someone who sold some modified Definitive ST's

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrfull&1296880088&auc&3&4&

I emailed him to see if he would share his experience with working on them here...
  • blueboxer
    edited April 2011
    I recall seeing that ad, but I would not be willing to have a separate external box like that in my HT setup. Maybe with some custom granite enclosure to match the base of the Mythos. I do appreciate function, but form has to have its place as well. However, like you, I would love to hear his impression.
  • mantis
    edited April 2011
    leroyjr1 wrote: »

The crossovers are in back of the tweeters in the sealed midrange section, not with the subs. I would contact Bajawaverunner on eBay, he usually has spare DT parts for sale cheap.

We are a Def Tech dealer and I should have no problems getting new crossovers. I want to keep my factory crossovers to 1 hear them vs the modded ones and 2 for resale. Thanks for the link and the ebay seller
    Dan
  • leroyjr1
    edited April 2011
    Did some measuring and caps will not fit unless you can keep it under 1 1/2" s off the board. The enclosure is only 3" deep and the drivers sit back 3"s so it must be really close to touching the back of the enclosure.

photo-156.jpg?t=1303074563
    photo-160.jpg?t=1303074043
    photo-159.jpg?t=1303074043
    photo-158.jpg?t=1303074043
    photo-157.jpg?t=1303074043
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Hmmmmmmmmmm - see technically we can still make this work but will have to get a little creative...

We can place the caps on small pieces of breadboard and you can fasten it to the enclosure wall behind the crossover.... just spread them over 4 boards and place them where the drivers start slanting inward... should work fine
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    You guys are also welcome to just ship the speakers here - that way I can just fasten them in the enclosure and get you guys cranking then ship them back...

I know the price would go up considerably but... it would definitely save some headaches

Just a thought - but the more I look - this should be possible...