edited May 2011 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Coming soon!

Parts list -

Clarity Cap MR on the tweeter
Clarity Cap ESA on the midbass
Solen on the Woofers
Mills resistors

Yeah!

Now I just gotta fit all of that on to this! ;)

I think I am going to mount the board to MDF and attach the MR caps and woofer caps around it with the ESA stuff on the board

Will be using DH Labs wiring for all the extention wiring and exposed leads will be heat shrinked over - should look awesome and sound even better.

This board mounts inside the midbass chamber on the speaker -- so there is about 6" wide and 15" of room on the back chamber wall. Should be plenty of room!
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• truwarrior22
    truwarrior22 Posts: 18
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Good luck! It's going to be a long couple weeks without my babies :redface:
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Good luck! It's going to be a long couple weeks without my babies :redface:

Do you need a sub or does the (2) 14" active drivers do the job?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Could be wrong - but I think it is one active 14" with two planar 14" passive radiators (piece of wood strapped to a surround)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • leroyjr1
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Could be wrong - but I think it is one active 14" with two planar 14" passive radiators (piece of wood strapped to a surround)

Correct but he has two front speakers. One active and two PR's per cabinet. L&R would give him two active 14" drivers.
  • truwarrior22
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I picked up a used HGS18 for LFE so I'm pretty well covered :smile:
  • truwarrior22
    edited April 2011
    Options

Correct, he ones in the BP7000 actually have spiders unlike the ones in he BP7002.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Correct but he has two front speakers. One active and two PR's per cabinet. L&R would give him two active 14" drivers.

Doh! gotcha!
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Parts!

This is for the CLR3000 and BP7000SC
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    One BP7000sc done!

Had to give them room apart because he is fitting them through a single midbass hole and attaching them against a back wall!

Fun fun
  • truwarrior22
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Wow your fast, looks awesome so far! Can't wait to listen to the speakers with these puppies in them :cool:
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I dont waste no time YO! ;)

I hope to have all of these crossovers sitting on my table done by the end of next week..

But I sent you an email..

Thanks!
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well folks - this mod just got crazier!

Iron core inductors will be GONE
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Really? That's a groundbreaking upgrade Trey. Let us know when you start truly doing something cool.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You will be the first to know Mark!

XOXO
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited April 2011
    Options

But I have to ask at this point...

Why are you investing so much into these speakers?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jesse you do realize that the retail value of these speakers is as follows -

$2,749 each...

vs. $100.00 each

From a percentage stand point -

These mods are worth 20% of the speaker value - which honestly with the parts used will make them more than 20% better. Infact I bet they will sound freaking fantastic...

Vs. investing 400% of the worth of an item.

I will let everyone know of the exciting thing that I do that is worth while as soon as it happens.

Until then - this thread is about BP7000SC mods and somehow fitting all these pieces back inside it.

I appreciate the bump though! :D

Love and hugs from NC!
  • F1nut
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Whatever you say, young grasshopper. :tongue:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Im sure you will give me a knuckle sandwhich in Flordia this year - no worries lol
  • F1nut
    edited April 2011
    Options
    An excellent idea. Please remind me when I see you there as I'm older than dirt and forget things easily.

Never worry, my friend.

President of Club Polk

• Outfitter03
    Outfitter03 Posts: 563
    edited April 2011
    Options

Vs. investing 400% of the worth of an item.

I believe that bkeane1259 is doing a little R and D and I have been following his progress not only here, but in another forum in a thread for capacitor comparisons.

Personally I think it is interesting seeing the different mock up boards and comparison techniques that people are using.

One of the good ideas that bkeane1259 used in his thread, and Ben is working on developing for sale has to do with capacitor burn-in. I would think that the burner that Ben is developing would be a nice add on service for your new hobby/business of third party crossover upgrades. For many people's homes, needing a 200 hr. run to truly hear the improvements, can be a big hassle.

I enjoy reading your posts Vr3MxStyler2k3, so keep them coming.
  • truwarrior22
    edited April 2011
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Ultimately it's my decision with some guidance and skill from vr3mxstyler2k3. I personally think I went a little overboard, but time will tell :biggrin: I like what I've researched about the MR caps, and hopefully this will be some sort of benchmark for modding Def Tech bipole speakers.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I curious on your finding when your done. Last time I listened to the 7000's I thought they where forward and bright for music but destroyed for theater use. Have you considered driver upgrades as well?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • truwarrior22
    edited April 2011
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I curious on your finding when your done. Last time I listened to the 7000's I thought they where forward and bright for music but destroyed for theater use. Have you considered driver upgrades as well?

I have noticed that the forwardness really depened on which amp I'm useing i.e. my Denon AVR 2808 was the least forward, the Emotiva XP1-1 was the most forward, and my current NAD M25 is kinda right in the middle.

I do find them a bit bright as well. I sold my XPA-1's because it actually made them sound a bit piercing depending on what I was listening too.

So far I've been happy with the M25 and now all channels have a consistant sound :)

As far as drivers, I've been on the fence. I like these way better then my Klipsch F3 towers, though the F3's had nice highs.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The forwardness and edginess is 100% crossover parts.

I have completely changed my SM450 with a simple Auricap...

Im tellin ya Dan - you change out the crossover parts in your DTs you will never sell them if you like them that much now.
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I am just waiting for the Mythos ST upgrade through you. lol
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Lets do it man!

It is beyond worth it for DT speakers. DT uses incredibly bad parts in their crossovers I hate to say. You could literally build that same crossover for under 20 bucks! LOL

But definitely worth it.
  • leroyjr1
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I've been wanting to do the upgrade to my Mythos for a while now. I agree the crossover is their weak link.
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I am game ve supply the parts and a speaker or two.
  • VR3
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ve?

email me at

vr3mxdmicblce2k7 at gmail dot com
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The forwardness and edginess is 100% crossover parts.

I have completely changed my SM450 with a simple Auricap...

Im tellin ya Dan - you change out the crossover parts in your DTs you will never sell them if you like them that much now.
    I do like them a lot now. I don't really find anything they do wrong. They actually do a lot of things right. To make enhance them further I'm intrigued. I never was a " Mod Guy" with speakers , I always felt if the speaker was lacking it was time to move on. These DT Mythos ST's I got right now if they could be improved more then they are now , I would probably want to keep them forever.

Trey have you modified any Mythos models?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.