Adcom GFP-750 or Belles 21A?

Options

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,530
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Maybe it's just being proud of what one has acomplished in a short time, I know someday my Adcom setup will be a thing of the past. But rest assure if and when I go deeper in what you like to call the rabbit hole I won't be an ****..

Hope being on your soap box has got you feeling better about yourself..

Larry.

Place him on ignore and move on, you won't miss much.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well that is an option steve.

I know we travel different audo paths. So your using Adcom now?

Missed that.

RT1
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What happened today, Big Ted?

Your Tubes got violated by Adcom?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As a public service I will gladly remove all of those offensive sounding GFP750 boat anchors from your rigs.Alternatively you can ship them direct (at your expense ofcoarse.)
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2010
    Options
    since ted says so, send me the adcom. surely you wouldn't want your friends to know you've got one. sorta like doing a larger gal. so long as your friends don't know.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Its OK Mega nobody likes their baby called ugly. Tool is just pointing out that as I got bigger so did my backside highway I concur. Still does not change anything, Belles trounces Adcom. H9 will forgive me.

RT1
  • FTGV
    edited August 2010
    Options
    BIZILL wrote: »
    sorta like doing a larger gal. so long as your friends don't know.
    LOL the type you have to chew your arm off so as to not risk waking them as you leave?:)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,922
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Someone is pushing buttons.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    and its not Mr. Walker.

RT1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,922
    edited August 2010
    Options
    That's for sure.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,490
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What gives RT1? You are usually opinionated (which I think is a good thing), but not to the point of being obnoxious. I am not trying to takes sides with the Adcom crowd or the Belles crowd at all. I am just saying, make your point and move on, and leave it up to the OP to makes his mind up. I usually enjoy reading your posts RT1 and many times agree 100%, but let's not overdo the provocations.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • lakesailor
    lakesailor Posts: 319
    edited August 2010
    Options
    In fairness to the GFP 750 it is to Adcom what the M series is to BMW. It is NOT your everyday Adcom. Not suggesting that I think Adcom is a premium brand, but the GFP 750 is a good pre-amp by ANY standard, and a bargain if you factor in the price.

In this case I would likely go with the Belles...mostly becuase tube rolling in a pre-amp is so darned entertaining.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,100
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Guys let it go, RT1 is just pushing buttons, trying to get under people's skin. For some of you he succeeded. It's what amuses him sometimes.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • reeltrouble1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    once there was a Kingdom with a large Castle, of course inside the Castly lived a King. Now the castle was surrounded by a forest (seems there is always a forest around a castle) only this forest was different whoever was to go in never came out.

two men went in, they did not come out, 10 men went in they did not come out, 20 men went in they did not come out. then for a long time nobody ever went in to the forest only an occasional eagle or hawk might fly over it and time passed.

one day a new lad came to the Kingdom, it seemed to him the Kingdom was a rather dull place so he went and asked the King "Hey King, is there anything exciting to do around this place?" The King replied "yes" but I do not recommend iyou do it, it is dangerous". The young lad thought and said sounds just like what I am looking for.

So the lad and his dog headed off into the forest. It was soon quite dark as the trees did block out most of the light, over the years they had grown unimpeded their limbs pervaded the light and trail, making it hard to see or travel deeper on the path. But the lad and the dog pushed on and miles past.

Then they came upon a large pool of water and stopped to look down at it, suddenly a large hand shot up from the water high into the air covering the space then just as quickly it reached down and grabbed the lad's dog pulling it down disappearing beneath the water.

The lad did not panic though. He just thought to himself "This must be the place".

RT1
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2010
    Options
    oh, ok.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,983
    edited August 2010
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Guys let it go, RT1 is just pushing buttons, trying to get under people's skin. For some of you he succeeded. It's what amuses him sometimes.

H9

He did succeed, and I got it after I posted so I have no hard feelings. it did hit me out of left feild...
  • heiney9
    edited August 2010
    Options
    He did succeed, and I got it after I posted so I have no hard feelings. it did hit me out of left feild...

I've been on here for awhile and even met and had a great time with Ted in person and it took me a while as well not to fall for it everytime :D.

The thing is we are all so passionate about this hobby, which is a really good thing, that it's easy to get a little lost in that passion and wanting to butt heads a bit.

It's all good and I was sincere in my prior post with my impressions. Because I am so enamoured with tubes, I'd choose the Belles for that reason. Just be prepared to spend some money tube rolling.

Last I checked with all my tube gear and my quest to roll and collect some of the best tubes around I've spent over $1200 just on tubes. This month alone I've spent almost $300 on tubes for the Norh I just bought for the office rig.

I have a tube pre and (3) tube integrated amps.

$1200 for old discarded little glass bottles with rare metals and chemicals inside made by many since dead craftsmen who took many of those secrets to their grave.

Don't let anyone convince you today's tubes are as good as the tubes of yore. I have yet to find a current production tube that can match the sound of old, expertly manufactured tubes of yesteryear.............believe me, you will know it when you hear it!!!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2010
    Options
    once there was a Kingdom with a large Castle, of course inside the Castly lived a King. Now the castle was surrounded by a forest (seems there is always a forest around a castle) only this forest was different whoever was to go in never came out.

two men went in, they did not come out, 10 men went in they did not come out, 20 men went in they did not come out. then for a long time nobody ever went in to the forest only an occasional eagle or hawk might fly over it and time passed.

one day a new lad came to the Kingdom, it seemed to him the Kingdom was a rather dull place so he went and asked the King "Hey King, is there anything exciting to do around this place?" The King replied "yes" but I do not recommend iyou do it, it is dangerous". The young lad thought and said sounds just like what I am looking for.

So the lad and his dog headed off into the forest. It was soon quite dark as the trees did block out most of the light, over the years they had grown unimpeded their limbs pervaded the light and trail, making it hard to see or travel deeper on the path. But the lad and the dog pushed on and miles past.

Then they came upon a large pool of water and stopped to look down at it, suddenly a large hand shot up from the water high into the air covering the space then just as quickly it reached down and grabbed the lad's dog pulling it down disappearing beneath the water.

The lad did not panic though. He just thought to himself "This must be the place".

RT1

awww I thought the story was going to end with and then they came upon a clearing where all sat was the men of old who had died listening to the Belles and along side sat the 750 smoking from the last time God struck it down saying you are no Belles, get the hell out of here..

er something like that :p

The 750 is a great pre IMO, and I have yet to hear the Belles, however I think the tube rolling and from what I hear about it, would make it a great pre to try out as well. Tube rolling is a venture in itself so I would say go for it! The 750 is still pretty easy to come by if you decided the Belles wasn't for you and wanted to sell it and grab the 750 back.
  • megasat16
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ok Ted! For an instance, I was a little worried you blew a tube or a fuse or something.

Adcom is Adcom and Belles is Belles. No comparison there. But Ted, if you must know, there is big Wolcott P400 Ref pair on the gon. Thought you need bigger tubes not to blow.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hmmmm,, all Belles are not made equal.;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • cheif pontiac
    cheif pontiac Posts: 138
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Uhhm so which is better?
    System:
    Samsung LN46C630
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1
    DVD/Blu: Denon 2910/Playstation 3
    Front mains: RT16
    Front presence: F/X 500i
    Center: CS400
    Rear surrounds: RT1000p
    Rear center: RT7
    Subwoofer: PSW505 X 2

2 Channel
    Marantz 2252B
    Technics SL-Q2 turntable
    Kef Q50
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Uhhm so which is better?

Belles 20A
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Uhhm so which is better?

I think its like comparing Apples to Oranges, both Pre-Amp are
    good and on the same level, BUT different.
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • reeltrouble1
    edited August 2010
    Options
    belles trumps adcom, actually it jumps up and down on it and pulverizes it, sure talk about what makes a pre amp or amp better or not, perhaps nobody knows and its a peanut gallery with juju beads. adcom is about power on the cheap, they came along in the late seventies and filled the market a bit after NAD. Certainly not the first two, but each quite succesful nonetheless.

so then who wants to actually describe circuits, resistor types, gain design, capacitors, tubes, power supplies you know audio stuff, anyone??

RT1
  • FTGV
    edited August 2010
    Options

so then who wants to actually describe circuits, resistor types, gain design, capacitors, tubes, power supplies you know audio stuff, anyone??

RT1
    Deal me in.:)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2010
    Options

RT1

Audio stuff? That would be electronics stuff. You don't need to know squat on electronics to enjoy music.

RG1

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    edited August 2010
    Options
    belles trumps adcom, actually it jumps up and down on it and pulverizes it, sure talk about what makes a pre amp or amp better or not, perhaps nobody knows and its a peanut gallery with juju beads. adcom is about power on the cheap, they came along in the late seventies and filled the market a bit after NAD. Certainly not the first two, but each quite succesful nonetheless.

RT1

Sorry RT1, but you can't generalize Adcom like that. They had a few stellar pieces one of them being the Adcom 750 and the 5802 amp and their dac's. The rest of it is as you describe.

Straight from the horses mouth (Nelson Pass):

"It's a differential pair—the end. A single gain stage, balanced input, balanced output, no feedback....We took a pair of MOSFETs, and the inputs go to the gates of the MOSFETs. The MOSFET sources are tied together and biased with a current source, with the signal taken off the drains. [The circuit] can run unbalanced on either side, although the performance is best when it's run balanced."

If you think you know more about it than he does; please feel free to enlighten us. Is it the end all, be all pre-amp, nope. Could they have used better parts in a few key areas like coupling caps? yep. Will it compete against the likes of Belles, BAT, Parasound, etc.

Absolutely

Would I choose the Belles over the 750? Most likely because I am enamored with tubes. If it was a SS Belles, I'd most likely stay put.

H9
  • megasat16
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I think it's a little hot in here.

RT1's tubes must be burning bright red again.

I don't care what's inside both Adcom or Belles personally even if I know what it means. There is a reason why they both are LO-Fi to Mid-Fi products.

But hearing is believing regardless if what's put inside Adcom and Belles. Let the OP listen with his own ears. He may hear a difference or may not hear any difference between tubes and sand at all.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,983
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If Adcom and Belles are both Lo-Fi to Mid-Fi what do you concider Hi-Fi??

Just curious as I know both are Mid-Fi, well the two pieces being discussed anyway..Adcom does have Lo-Fi products just as Polk Audio does as well.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2010
    Options
    More design observations for the OP's benefit, not necessarily for anyone else.

Other than glue logic and the transistors used to drive the relays, the 12 active devices—four gain blocks, each with three devices—are HEXFETs from International Rectifier. The output stage is intended to function as a pure voltage source, making the GFP-750 relatively immune to cable differences or low amplifier impedances. As we've come to expect from Adcom, the preamp sports a honkin' big toroidal transformer, with multiple secondary windings for each channel. A large heatsink on the left-hand side carries the power supply regulator chips.

Both signal and control circuitry is carried on one large double-sided printed circuit board, though these are physically separated. The parts quality is superb throughout, and care has been taken to keep signal paths as short as possible. The input switching relays, for example, are all adjacent to the rear-panel sockets. Did somebody mention the proverbial brick outhouse?

In passive mode, the signal sees only input switching and the attenuator.