Post a picture... any picture

Options

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    As seen at AA

As could be expected from folks in the audio hobby, some inquisitive chap in the "Comments" section asked this:

"Can it be heard over the {Miata} engine and wind noise? * :p

Sal Palooza
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    As seen at AA

As could be expected from folks in the audio hobby, some inquisitive chap in the "Comments" section asked this:

"Can it be heard over the {Miata} engine and wind noise? * :p

96ivihmcddyk.gif
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Step #1 - Wake up at 1:30am, head to Cape Cod. Climb on boat and steam out for 1.5 hours.
    29c55kwnut13.jpg
    xc52cqwvnzl4.jpg

Step #2 - Help catch 150lb bluefin tuna
    72dzx5eoq2dv.jpeg

Step #3 - Eat
    wfsm55kaeqne.jpg

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Best set of pics so far. Awesome catch and that’s some good food!!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    Beautiful. Calm seas By the looks of it.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Step #1 - Wake up at 1:30am, head to Cape Cod. Climb on boat and steam out for 1.5 hours.
    29c55kwnut13.jpg
    xc52cqwvnzl4.jpg

Step #2 - Help catch 150lb bluefin tuna
    72dzx5eoq2dv.jpeg

Step #3 - Eat
    wfsm55kaeqne.jpg

Nope... step 3 is.... SELL IT ON THE MARKET for 12$ a lb! I've watched Wicked Tuna!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know that! Very interesting. I guess I should've thought about what they would've done before SS amplifiers were invented.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Real quick question, did they ever use shock absorbers for housing the tubes, so they didn't get damaged by being bounced around every which way?

My 59 Bel Air had a AM Radio with tubes in it. In fact, the owners manual had a table in it that gave estimated radio warm up times depending on the ambient temperature outside.

I've since replaced it with a facsimile digital AM/FM/AUX input radio. And I use the AUX input for a BT dongle! I'm ashamed. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Radio warm-up time...LOL.

That might've been "HIGH TECH" in those days, huh? ;)

And FM wasn't invented yet? :o

I too felt bad yanking my cassette deck out of my 95 Camry so I could play Cds in the dash. I have a CD changer in the trunk but I like at reach control and CDs in the arm rest conveniences.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Nice tuna............Whatever you do don't throw away the belly meat when you are cleaning it. That is the most prized part for sushi in Japan and goes for hundreds of dollars a pound. I had a friend who used to fish for tuna and he threw away thousands (tens?) of dollars worth before he knew better.

And since you like Ahi try Alton Browns method. You cook it over a chimney charcoal grill starter. Its scary the first time you try it but it makes the best Ahi I ever had.

https://foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chimney-tuna-loin-recipe-1911894

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    FM as we know it dates back to the 1940s, thanks to Col. Armstrong.

My parents' '55 Buick Special (convertible!) had a tube AM radio (of course). I remember that it could be turned on and played even if the car weren't "turned on" (i.e., no key required). I determined that empirically as a lad :p

They had that car well into the 1970s... it was seriously cool.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Buicks back then were COOL! I had a 65 Starfire that was "a real GEM". White leather interior. Modern radio. I installed an 8-track player. :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Buicks back then were COOL! I had a 65 Starfire that was "a real GEM". White leather interior. Modern radio. I installed an 8-track player. :)

Cool car man, which engine did it have ? I kinda miss those styles from the 60's, every brand had a few winners.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    Options
    friendly-they-said....-650x375.jpg
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    ^^^^^
    :o what happened there!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    ^^^^^
    :o what happened there!

Injuns...lol.

Looks like a bunch of curb feelers to me. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    CGTIII wrote: »
    friendly-they-said....-650x375.jpg

At first glance, I thought they were tie-downs. :(

That's an unfortunate occurrence for a beautiful Comanche. Nice planes they were.

I will mention, at this juncture, that Piper's planes were often saddled ;) with Native American names -- and Piper did, at one time, make a plane called the Piper Arrow.

x9kdruuphrqa.png
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Appears to me that it must have flown a little too low over a Conservation Area during Archery Day.

Yep. That's the only possible explanation.

Sal Palooza
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Cool car man, which engine did it have ? I kinda miss those styles from the 60's, every brand had a few winners.

I was lucky enough to have bought an Oldsmobile Dealers personal Olds. It was very special with LOTS of options.

It had the coveted 455 and I believe a 400 turbo transmission. Maybe a 350 turbo. That was the most powerful car I've ever owned. It had the most beautiful interior also. White leather and black carpet and dash and console.
    The exhaust came out of the chrome trim on the bottom of the rear quarter panels. The trim was about 8" tall and ran the whole distance of the car.

I laid down a hundred ft. burnout one time and it was that length only because I let off the pedal to save some tire tread for later normal use. I always thought I could blow a tire with that kind of power the 455 produced.

I have ALWAYS missed that car!

I also thought, if I won a lottery, I'd search out another 65 Starfire but I haven't seen one quite like mine on the web.

My Uncle had this 65ish Buick Wildcat. A White car with a red interior. Chrome everywhere. It was a jaw dropper of a beautiful car!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Would they need them? I thought tubes were designed to be used in missiles, etc.

WHAT!?! I didn't know that!
    I guess I always thought of them as fragile things. The kind of thing that would crack with only minor impact.

Such a young pup.....
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Interesting, seems to imply that a different "hardened" glass was used in the Bendix tubes.

Yes it was. Everything in the Bendix/Mu 6900 was built for excessive G forces and extreme environment
  • pitdogg2
    Options

I've since gone (back) to higher-mu voltage amplifier tubes (6SL7 -- for which the amp was designed!), and, unfortunately, I don't have a pair of "Special Red" 5961s to use in it! :(
    Hey Doc keep an eye on eBay in the last two weeks I've seen pairs of NOS 5691/6sl7's go for far less than they should. Less than 100 for the pairs.
    Have you ever tried any 6bx7 or 6bl7 tubes? Brent Jesse turned me on to them according to him they are a much better match to most 6sn7 circuits than the 5692. According to him the 5692 can run too low and that is how they tend to last longer than stock 6sn7. I know in my buffer you can tell the 5692 IS lower. On my preamp Carver C16 i use the external processor circuit so it's easy to compare by the press of a button. The 5692 volume is much lower than 6sn7 tubes yet the 6bl7 tubes are higher than 6sn7. Brent hooked me up with a great set of 6BL7gta triple mica Sylvania tubes made in 1950 for a song.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Would they need them? I thought tubes were designed to be used in missiles, etc.

WHAT!?! I didn't know that!
    I guess I always thought of them as fragile things. The kind of thing that would crack with only minor impact.

Such a young pup.....

Still gotta lot to learn...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Occasionally I see one of these driving around my neighborhood:

right-front.jpg
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Subaru Outback / Legacy with factory installed McIntosh stereo:

CVWInzY.jpg

Not available in North America :(
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    No fingerprints! :)
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    Options
    yeaaa..-why-do-i-try-to-find-weird-things-on-ebay..-650x867.jpg
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.