Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

12325272829

Comments

  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 59
    firsttimer wrote: »
    I just have to say I have had my s60 towers a little over a month now and just love them. I think after some hours of use they really start to open up. I was just listening to pink Floyd the wall from start to finish and they sound just wonderful. So pleased with this purchase. I think for the money you cannot go wrong especially for the sale prices you can get these for. If your on the fence about these speakers you should not be. They are also fantastic in home theater usage as well. Have watched some previously viewed HDR discs and the sound they reproduce is just awesome. Anyways enough ranting but just thought I would share my experience with these truly amazing speakers. Well done Polk.

    I love mine also.. Movies are incredible.. I wish music was a taf more detailed.. Overall they are the best towers I have owned
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,451
    ^^ I wish music was a taf more detailed

    What are you driving them with?


    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 59
    Just a Denon avr.. Maybe a Amp would help but these speakers don't need much power..
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,451
    They need good clean power to sound their best. They need current to bring out the detail. The detail you are missing in music is not the speaker, it is the AVR.

    I find 225Wpc, high current (65 amps) just right.


    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,451
    They need good clean power to sound their best. They need current to bring out the detail. The detail you are missing in music is not the speaker, it is the AVR.

    I find 225Wpc, high current (65 amps) just right.


    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 59
    And what's that? A Amp?
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,451
    edited January 11
    See my signature, currently using an Anthem 225, 2 channel integrated amp.


    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 59
    I have never used an amp. But I would never spend that kind of money on something like that can you recommend a budget-friendly one
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,451
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    I have never used an amp. But I would never spend that kind of money on something like that can you recommend a budget-friendly one

    Parasound HCA-1500, you can find used for about 4-5 bills. I have also used it with my S60's, excellent match. Does you AVR have preouts?



    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    We use to lock up the mental cases to protect the children. Now we lock the children up to protect them from the mental cases.

  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,608
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • I am using a Denon avrx 3300w an it seems to be working very well for me with the s60 towers.
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 59
    Well yours is 25 watts more a channel then mine.. I'm guessing that's y.. Mine sounds great don't get me wrong.. Just feel I'm missing some punch..
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,912
    This is why a good many of us recommend separate amplification to ensure that your speakers have all the power they need to operate to their full potential.

    I always recommend an amp of at least 200wpc at 8ohms. However Loren put an Emotiva Basx on his 60s and he said that it gave them a nice boost.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • halohalo Posts: 4,027
    edited January 12
    I would say the power requirements Cathy (@cfrizz) is referring to above requires you, the listener, to consider many variables.

    How loud do you listen? The louder you listen, the more power you may need.
    How big is the room in which you listen to music and/or movies? The bigger the space you have to fill with sound/pressurize the room, the more power you may need.

    I've had amps here of all different shapes and sizes, solid state amps and tube amps, and it really is a matter of synergy with your room, listening tastes/style, as well as how your setup overall integrates. People talk about adding a component and having it make a significant difference (in the best case scenario) and following that line of thought, it's all about experimentation to hear what sounds best to you in your environment.

    There's nothing wrong with the 200 wat-per-channel recommendation but, if a 125 wat-per-channel amp will more than adequately do the job and it has better overall sound quality, by all means, you should go with the better sounding amp!

    There are so many different types of equipment out there and so many different brands that it can be daunting but that is also part of the fun. Once you find what sounds best to you, then you're a happy camper who has the experience of trying many different pieces in order to craft what works best for you. :)
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,912
    halo wrote: »
    I would say the power requirements Cathy (@cfrizz) is referring to above requires you, the listener, to consider many variables.

    How loud do you listen? The louder you listen, the more power you may need.
    How big is the room in which you listen to music and/or movies? The bigger the space you have to fill with sound/pressurize the room, the more power you may need.

    I've had amps here of all different shapes and sizes, solid state amps and tube amps, and it really is a matter of synergy with your room, listening tastes/style, as well as how your setup overall integrates. People talk about adding a component and having it make a significant difference (in the best case scenario) and following that line of thought, it's all about experimentation to hear what sounds best to you in your environment.

    There's nothing wrong with the 200 wat-per-channel recommendation but, if a 125 wat-per-channel amp will more than adequately do the job and it has better overall sound quality, by all means, you should go with the better sounding amp!

    There are so many different types of equipment out there and so many different brands that it can be daunting but that is also part of the fun. Once you find what sounds best to you, then you're a happy camper who has the experience of trying many different pieces in order to craft what works best for you. :)

    I like having lots of power because it doesn't matter where the volume knob is, I am able to hear all the details of the music. ESPECIALLY at lower volume. That was the biggest surprise I got when I got the Parasound 1500A. I want my speakers to have all the power they need to operate to their full potential at all times, lots of power ensures this.

    I personally don't assume that everyone wants to experiment with every piece of gear that exists, that way could possibly lead to hoarder syndrome, bankruptcy or divorce court.

    There is no guarantee, that you will be able to recoup what you paid out on the gear, hell there isn't any guarantee that you will be able to sell it at all! Just look at that nice pair of Dynaudio's that have been sitting in the FM!

    I believe in doing it once with extensive research, doing it right the first time around, even if it cost a bit more up front, then sitting back and enjoying it for years to come.

    But that's just me, I like interjecting a bit of practicality into this crazy hobby.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,374
    edited January 13
    cfrizz wrote: »
    halo wrote: »
    I would say the power requirements Cathy (@cfrizz) is referring to above requires you, the listener, to consider many variables.

    How loud do you listen? The louder you listen, the more power you may need.
    How big is the room in which you listen to music and/or movies? The bigger the space you have to fill with sound/pressurize the room, the more power you may need.

    I've had amps here of all different shapes and sizes, solid state amps and tube amps, and it really is a matter of synergy with your room, listening tastes/style, as well as how your setup overall integrates. People talk about adding a component and having it make a significant difference (in the best case scenario) and following that line of thought, it's all about experimentation to hear what sounds best to you in your environment.

    There's nothing wrong with the 200 wat-per-channel recommendation but, if a 125 wat-per-channel amp will more than adequately do the job and it has better overall sound quality, by all means, you should go with the better sounding amp!

    There are so many different types of equipment out there and so many different brands that it can be daunting but that is also part of the fun. Once you find what sounds best to you, then you're a happy camper who has the experience of trying many different pieces in order to craft what works best for you. :)

    I like having lots of power because it doesn't matter where the volume knob is, I am able to hear all the details of the music. ESPECIALLY at lower volume. That was the biggest surprise I got when I got the Parasound 1500A. I want my speakers to have all the power they need to operate to their full potential at all times, lots of power ensures this.

    I personally don't assume that everyone wants to experiment with every piece of gear that exists, that way could possibly lead to hoarder syndrome, bankruptcy or divorce court.

    There is no guarantee, that you will be able to recoup what you paid out on the gear, hell there isn't any guarantee that you will be able to sell it at all! Just look at that nice pair of Dynaudio's that have been sitting in the FM!

    I believe in doing it once with extensive research, doing it right the first time around, even if it cost a bit more up front, then sitting back and enjoying it for years to come.

    But that's just me, I like interjecting a bit of practicality into this crazy hobby.

    Now that's a fact I can relate too! :p

    I had 1 system for many, many years.

    Then I bought a set of Polk Monitor 10's. I was hooked. Seriously. Luxman receivers also played a big part in the beginning of hearing music sound so NICE. I hooked those Polk Monitor 10's up to a Luxman 1030 I think it was. Now look at me. :(

    It must be like what that first puff on a crack pipe does.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 1,343
    cfrizz wrote: »
    This is why a good many of us recommend separate amplification to ensure that your speakers have all the power they need to operate to their full potential.

    I always recommend an amp of at least 200wpc at 8ohms. However Loren put an Emotiva Basx on his 60s and he said that it gave them a nice boost.

    Yes it did very nice. About one of the best audio investments I have made. I am now going to save for one of the big boy's. Would like an A31 but I'll settle for a 2250v2.

    Adding the amp didn't make it louder but added a lot more detail. More clean power will show what a speaker can sound like.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN60H,
    Marantz SR5010, Emotiva BasX-A300
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, Sony DVP-NS3100ES, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk Signature S60
    Center: Polk CSi-A6
    Front High TC80i
    Rear: Polk MC80
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Sony KDF-E42A10,
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S30
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES
    Polk RTi4 about 15' up the wall
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,912
    mrloren wrote: »
    Yes it did very nice. About one of the best audio investments I have made. I am now going to save for one of the big boy's. Would like an A31 but I'll settle for a 2250v2.

    Adding the amp didn't make it louder but added a lot more detail. More clean power will show what a speaker can sound like.

    And that is really the true purpose of an amp, which is what the majority of people have no clue about. They will blame the speakers, when the blame belongs with the weak amplifier that is powering the receiver.

    Having a receiver that can supposedly do it all with all the latest bells and whistles is great, but what they don't tell you is in order to give you all those bells and whistles they have to sacrifice somewhere, and that place is in the power.

    The specs they show you are misleading at best since they never tell you how many wpc each of your 5-7 or more channels is actually drawing when all are in use. That 110wpc quickly drops down to 80wpc when spread out to so many speakers.

    LOL! I knew you would now want more power to see what your speakers can do Loren!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,193
    I have a $150.00, 150 wpc Audiosource amp ill let go, if that helps. Sorry about the thread jack.
  • halohalo Posts: 4,027
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I like having lots of power because it doesn't matter where the volume knob is, I am able to hear all the details of the music. ESPECIALLY at lower volume. That was the biggest surprise I got when I got the Parasound 1500A. I want my speakers to have all the power they need to operate to their full potential at all times, lots of power ensures this.
    Forgive me Cathy but that statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. No matter where the volume knob is you can hear all the details? lol. Well, ok, but, if it's all the way down, you're not going to hear much of anything, no matter how many watts the amp puts out! Even at low volumes, really low volumes, you're not hearing all the details. IMO, there's a certain point where everything "clicks." It doesn't have to be LOUD for that to happen with every setup Cathy, but it does have to be audible. I can hear all the details, at modest listening levels, just fine with only 125 wpc in my setup. I guess I'm just lucky?
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I personally don't assume that everyone wants to experiment with every piece of gear that exists, that way could possibly lead to hoarder syndrome, bankruptcy or divorce court.
    Well, Cathy, variety is the spice of life! I wouldn't be where I am now if I had stayed where I was. The point is, I'm very happy that I experimented with a lot of different gear over the years. Through trial & error, I found the sound I love and enjoy.
    cfrizz wrote: »
    There is no guarantee, that you will be able to recoup what you paid out on the gear, hell there isn't any guarantee that you will be able to sell it at all! Just look at that nice pair of Dynaudio's that have been sitting in the FM!
    There are no guarantees with anything in life Cathy. Everything is a chance. All of those Dynaudio speakers I had sold. The initial listing was placed in the summer and that's a tough time to sell audio gear. Just because they didn't sell here doesn't mean they didn't move elsewhere. I just like to give the Polk family first shot at the gear before I list it elsewhere.
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I believe in doing it once with extensive research, doing it right the first time around, even if it cost a bit more up front, then sitting back and enjoying it for years to come.
    That's what a lot of people on other audio forums like to do as well Cathy. They look at the specifications, read reviews, ask other people that own the gear they're interested in and sometimes that works out but sometimes it doesn't. Heck, I was all jazzed about the ELAC UB5, UC5, & UF5 speakers when they first came out. I sold off a set of speakers that I was pretty happy with based on the promise of the ELAC speakers superiority thanks to the magic introduced to this "budget" line by the legendary designer Andrew Jones. I even went to the AXPONA 2016 exposition in Rosemont Illinois to hear them for myself. I met and spoke with Mr. Jones extensively about these speakers and, after hearing them, I was convinced I was on the right path so I preordered the ELAC UF5 floor standing speakers & the UC5 center channel.

    When the speakers arrived, I could not have been more disappointed. The ELAC speakers simply did not work in my room. I could not replicate the sound I heard at the exhibition and all the reviews online were RAVING about these speakers.

    I got lucky and I was able to purchase another set of the speakers I sold off to buy the ELAC speakers locally so I made out. The point here is that I learned how important a factor the listening environment is in the sound you hear. Previously, nothing had this big of an impact on my setup before. I know I'm not alone in this as @Clipdat just went through the same thing with the Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelf speakers. Rave reviews online with a lot of people backing them up on the forums. They simply didn't work in Clipdat's room. No amount of research is going to tell you exactly how some piece of gear or pair of speakers is going to sound in your room, on your gear/with your gear until it actually gets placed into that setup.
    cfrizz wrote: »
    But that's just me, I like interjecting a bit of practicality into this crazy hobby.
    Maybe you see it as practicality Cathy but I don't agree with you nor do I see experimentation as impractical. If you take no risks, you get no rewards. Playing it safe is fine for some people and it seems to work well for you. I'm not going to try and tell you how to approach this hobby. That's your decision. However, playing it safe isn't for everybody Cathy. I don't assume that everyone wants to experiment with different gear but I'm not going to discourage it. I also don't assume that experimenting with gear will lead to hoarding/hoarder syndrome (is that actually in the DSM Cathy?). I don't assume that experimenting with different gear will lead to bankruptcy, do you? One can live within one's means and still experiment Cathy. It is possible to budget for the things you enjoy doing, is it not? Finally, I would not assume that experimenting with different gear would lead to divorce Cathy. I would think that other issues in a relationship exist to go that route as I've never heard of someone getting divorced solely due to a spouse experimenting with different....gear. Experimenting with drugs, alcohol, or experimenting with other partners, yes. IF you are referring to the financial burdens placed on a couple's finances because of secret spending by one partner without disclosing it to their partner, I would say that is a trust issue between the people involved in the relationship and not specifically tied to the audio hobby.

    But that's just me, I like to interject a bit of experimentation into this wonderful hobby.

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,595
    edited January 15
    You said "Cathy" 10 times in that post.

    Also for the record, I don't think the MA B2s were awful only in my listening room, I think they're just awful period. :)
    halo wrote: »
    But that's just me, I like to interject a bit of experimentation into this wonderful hobby.

    Got Dayens?
  • halohalo Posts: 4,027
    edited January 15
    Clipdat wrote: »
    You said "Cathy" 10 times in that post.

    Yes, I did. :smile:

    @Clipdat - That's one of my points in the post above. Those Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers are receiving rave reviews from many people, including What Hi-Fi?, Amazon, & Crutchfield. There's also a mention of them in the Monitor Audio dedicated thread at the avsforum:
    Mr_Hifi wrote: »
    Monitor Audio's Bronze range is back with a bang - the new Bronze 2s are stunning standmounters.

    This latest generation of Bronze 2 is arguably the best yet. This is a truly complete speaker for the money.

    5stars at WhatHifi review!!!
    http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review

    They really sounded good for the price when i had a sit down with these little monsters. I have the new Center with new Bronze 1 at rear and BX5 front. Yes Silver line is better with music, but with movies the difference isn`t that big. If you think the price jump, no thanks! Better spent that money to good sub. Highly recommended for movie guys! You really don`t have to buy zillion costing speakers to enjoy movies nowadays. Very nice job Monitor Audio!

    How can that be if they truly are awful? I'm not saying you're wrong but one has to wonder how and why other people are finding those speakers to be so engaging.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,595
    Yeah, how can that be? Did I get a dud pair or something? Were mine built on a Monday instead of a Friday? Makes you wonder...

    Oh well, but maybe my experience with them just shows that I'm very much a Polk Audio guy and not so much a Monitor Audio guy.

    Wouldn't have been able to figure that out without experimenting. Thanks Victor for your help along my audio journey, you're a true asset to this forum.
    halo wrote: »
    How can that be if they truly are awful? I'm not saying you're wrong but one has to wonder how and why other people are finding those speakers to be so engaging.

    Got Dayens?
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 185
    Lounge LCR MKIII, AMC 2100, Marantz SR5011, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk RM8, Polk PSW450, Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 59

    It's very legit and all mf warranty are honored.. Bought from them a few times
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 185
    That's where I picked up my receiver, no issues so far. I was planning on standing pat for a while, but if this deal is still around in a couple months when my finances loosen up some I might have to pull the trigger. Under $500 for a pair, delivered? Wow
    Lounge LCR MKIII, AMC 2100, Marantz SR5011, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk RM8, Polk PSW450, Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103
  • Well I am in Canada and paid 798 Canadian for my pair of S60 and free delivery from an electronics store here in Canada. I think for the price you can get these speakers for it is a no brainer. Polk has done a great job with these speakers as far as I am concerned
  • Ctxx24Ctxx24 Posts: 59
    Who here has s15s on speaker stands and what stand thanks
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!