This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• Tony MTony M Posts: 5,000
    fd478fvu6wnx.jpg

You don't need a pretty model to make this receiver attractive. ;)

I had a SX-1280 and sold it for 180.00.. What a fool I was back then. :s :'(
    I had a SX-1050 and sold it for 50.00.. It turned on but no sound. It probably needed fuses or something. Both were filthy dirty when I bought them, but they cleaned up to like new beauty.

Now that I'm getting some disposable income every month now, I've thought about purchasing a 1280 at retail now. I doubt I will but who knows . ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,380
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    there's one in every crowd...

;)
    From what I see, I'm not the only one. :p
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »

;)

I thought they came in pairs... :p
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,326
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

;)

I thought they came in pairs... :p

or multiples ;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    ahem -- this thread needs... some vintage hifi.
    The SX-1980 was nice :)

I don't think I have anything new (so to speak) to add, though... do I?

:/

38942374951_112910dd28_b.jpgDSC_0172 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

did I show that hk before? Too lazy to check...
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,158
    How's this for vintage...
    s5hg148pr6sh.jpg
    I cannot see enough to tell -- although I like what I see :)

I recognize the arm, but it's not one I really know.

Yes, I remember that pic (and the black headphone cord) when we spoke about HK decks last week. Still, it's good to see it again. :)
    edited December 2017
    ahem -- this thread needs... some vintage hifi.
    The SX-1980 was nice :)

I don't think I have anything new (so to speak) to add, though... do I?

:/

38942374951_112910dd28_b.jpgDSC_0172 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I love that styling !

I bought a receiver or maybe it was just an Integrated from that series years ago.....Guess where....yea, a church bazaar. :s

It too was under a table, hidden from the people that showed up before me. I think it was 4.00. It played fine and was quite solid and heavy. I liked those little square push buttons.
    I shipped it to a HK collector "of that HK series" in Seattle I believe.
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 194
    fd478fvu6wnx.jpg

Looks nice but I could never own one. I would constantly be fiddling with all of those buttons and never get a chance to relax and enjoy the music.
    delkal wrote: »
    I would constantly be fiddling with all of those buttons.
    Some of them love that.
    The SX-1980 is sort of the apatosaurus of 1970s hifi. The genre had kinda jumped the shark by then.

Who knew so many metaphors could be mangled in two short sentences!?

:)

The hk deck -- yeah, I dug up that photo from the ahh-chives (as they'd say in pahts of Bahsten) due to that conversation... and forgot. derp.

Let's see what else is lurking in the weeds...

12545862714_f99fe5cfef_b.jpgVM stereo by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Stereo -- the hard way.

Nice single-ended 6L6 power amps, though :)

I see a vintage variac off to the right. Combine that with a 100-watt Marshall head and set it at 90 volts and voila, you get the Van Halen "brown sound". B)
    I cannot see enough to tell -- although I like what I see :)

I recognize the arm, but it's not one I really know.

It's the only working example on the planet. Look below the TT... That's the hint.
  • FestYboy wrote: »
    How's this for vintage...
    s5hg148pr6sh.jpg

Very Nice Grace G 704 Tone arm. Clue below? Polk?
    Yes Polk. One of 2 ever made.

My dad and I were fortunate enough to be given a tour of the "new" facility (before they move again into a larger space) today. I heard some things, saw some other things. Very enjoyable.
    kq4ydq0gw3b5.jpg
    Yeah, on second (third!) look, I did remember why/where I'd seen it before :/

• Thats a nice rack.............and the stereo's not bad either.
  • pumpkinmanpumpkinman Posts: 5,861
    dh3xh5qsq810.jpg

Pulled the Sansui AU-9500 down off the shelf and I'm making sure it's OK before taking up on 2nd floor.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
    Not a very common amplifier; I don't think I've ever seen/heard one in the -- umm -- flesh.

• tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 320
    I don't remember ever buying this, but evidently I did. In the '70's
    I have not been able to find any useful info on teh webz, so here you go
    @mhardy6647 , any ideas?

3jd22sz2ys5x.jpg

orhrcwyi1nmd.jpg

aal9rlb9kqqs.jpg

d34rjcn1xqal.jpg
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,846
    As you dudes were yapping about turn tables I remembered there was an old thread of the ten worst things we used to do to tt. Well I chimed in because I didn't see the 2 most obvious ones. # 1. high spindle stacking. Hey my thinking back then, if the machine was made to do that then drop they will. Obviously not so good for both the mushing of LPs and the extra weight for the motor. #2. The world famous instant anti-skating device known to man kind. Scotch taping a penny to the shell head of the cart. This was for dance parties and I don't think I did this to my Dual 1225 But for sure did it w/ my Zenith drop top suitcase thing. DOC whip up a picture of that thing, I couldn't find it anywhere and you've got the vintage ad thing down... Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,181
    edited January 3
    I owned one of these in the 80's and it was so beautiful I would sit and stare at it. Each tape could optimized with adjustments on the front. dbx noise reduction as well. TEAC Z6000:

a3vjbjmtzbeu.jpg
    Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • The_PolksterThe_Polkster Posts: 140
    Teac made some nice decks. Reminds me of the deck I had around that time. It was a Harman Kardon CD-491. Another fairly nice component stolen by my roommate at the time. :s HK was, i think, a much better brand back then. They seem to have become more of a cheap alternative and don't offer anything special.

9hgwbya7rpm4.jpg
    Polk SDA SRS 1
    Yamaha M-65 (2x, bi-amped)
    Pioneer Elite SC-99
    Oppo UDP-203
    Polk CS350 center
    Polk MC-60 4x Atmos
    Polk AB700 side surround
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,919
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I owned one of these in the 80's and it was so beautiful I would sit and stare at it. Each tape could optimized with adjustments on the front. dbx noise reduction as well. TEAC Z6000:

a3vjbjmtzbeu.jpg

Did the vintage mancave ever make it to the new joint ? I seem to recall you had a decent vintage setup.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    ^^^^
    I had some of that HK series also. Super heavy and compact and dependable after all these years too. There's a following for that series. ;)
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,181
    tonyb wrote: »
    Did the vintage mancave ever make it to the new joint ? I seem to recall you had a decent vintage setup.

No...but I still have the equipment, to include the MINT Pioneer 8-track player that the late, GREAT George Grand gave me.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
    I am certifiable...

39803102431_8f40e2b5a5_h.jpgDSC_0345 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

39092996394_e4686b989e_h.jpgDSC_0340 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

It's not quite as bad as it looks -- the Duplex's treble drivers are disconnected. :|

Sure you don't mean " Bonefide"? :p
    edited January 20
    They look like "war of the worlds" spaceship laser spray generators.

But if they sound great, that's all that matters, right. ;)