How does SDA CRS compare with 2B and other SDA's in general?

Options
124»

Comments

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited June 2012
    Options
    F1's information is great, and if they were mine, given your conditions, I would also pull the Xovers and drivers and compare them to the Xover schematics and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

You can find the correct Xover diagram here
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?55888-POLK-AUDIO-Speaker-Wiring-Schematics-amp-More-Stereo-Dimensional-Array(SDA)

Hope you get the issue fixed and you get to enjoy them :)
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited June 2012
    Options
    kcoc321 wrote: »
    F1's information is great, and if they were mine, given your conditions, I would also pull the Xovers and drivers and compare them to the Xover schematics and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

You can find the correct Xover diagram here
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?55888-POLK-AUDIO-Speaker-Wiring-Schematics-amp-More-Stereo-Dimensional-Array(SDA)
    Hope you get the issue fixed and you get to enjoy them :)

May have to do that as well.
    Looks like only 1986 version has same mid drivers but all others have different mids for stereo and dimension.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Having $100 speakers isn't too bad when you don't have nearly that in them and can turn them for near that.

That may be true, but I would wonder how many you're actually turning around and making money on if you've made your daughter leave her bedroom to make room for them. I knew a guy that would buy crap at auctions (not implying that what you have is crap) and then bring it to his shop and park it in the yard and say "this is worth 10x what i paid for it!" He lost his shop and yard full of junk because he couldn't pay the bills. For some people, the thrill is finding a steal, and that's fine, AudioKarma is full of these types. For others, it's achieving a certain level of performance. Whichever anyone is is cool by me, but a person could save themselves some headaches by figuring out which type of person they are. Also, to diagnose if they are indeed horders, which is a type of OCD and can pose real problems in a persons life. Not saying anyone is, just raising awareness.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited June 2012
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    That may be true, but I would wonder how many you're actually turning around and making money on if you've made your daughter leave her bedroom to make room for them. I knew a guy that would buy crap at auctions (not implying that what you have is crap) and then bring it to his shop and park it in the yard and say "this is worth 10x what i paid for it!" He lost his shop and yard full of junk because he couldn't pay the bills. For some people, the thrill is finding a steal, and that's fine, AudioKarma is full of these types. For others, it's achieving a certain level of performance. Whichever anyone is is cool by me, but a person could save themselves some headaches by figuring out which type of person they are. Also, to diagnose if they are indeed horders, which is a type of OCD and can pose real problems in a persons life. Not saying anyone is, just raising awareness.

I completely agree, That's one reason i don't buy a lot of stuff no matter what the price; most of the time. i have some individuals I've met at yard sales/ flea markets etc that call me when they find gear. Some of these people are have been in bad need of money at times so I sometimes may give them some cash for items I may not normally buy, just to help them out without them thinking I'm just giving them money (it gets back to the whole fishing thing). I have brought some of those things home and tossed them in the scrap metal pile or stripped the speakers and burnt the cabinet in the fire pit while roasting marshmallows for my kids. I'm like most people and have wasted plenty of money. I'm sure I will do so until I pass on, but if I can do it and possibly help others, I don't consider it a waste.

You are also correct in that I'm sure I have some that I will eventually just donate to a charity and count them on my taxes. On another note though, just a few pieces I have sold this year have profited close to what I have in all the rest I have left (except for my SDA's and related gear). I am a hobbyist and novice audiophile. I like trying different gear and deciding what I like and what i don't. I keep some, I flip some to help pay for the hobby. part of the fun for me is listening to different designs and hearing how much this stuff varies so much from brand to brand and model to model. I also gather items for friends and family members that "don't have a clue". Though listening is by far the best part, it is by no means what it is all about to me.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • Mr. Bubbles
    Mr. Bubbles Posts: 736
    edited June 2012
    Options
    newrival wrote: »

I completely agree, That's one reason i don't buy a lot of stuff no matter what the price; most of the time. i have some individuals I've met at yard sales/ flea markets etc that call me when they find gear. Some of these people are have been in bad need of money at times so I sometimes may give them some cash for items I may not normally buy, just to help them out without them thinking I'm just giving them money (it gets back to the whole fishing thing). I have brought some of those things home and tossed them in the scrap metal pile or stripped the speakers and burnt the cabinet in the fire pit while roasting marshmallows for my kids. I'm like most people and have wasted plenty of money. I'm sure I will do so until I pass on, but if I can do it and possibly help others, I don't consider it a waste.

You are also correct in that I'm sure I have some that I will eventually just donate to a charity and count them on my taxes. On another note though, just a few pieces I have sold this year have profited close to what I have in all the rest I have left (except for my SDA's and related gear). I am a hobbyist and novice audiophile. I like trying different gear and deciding what I like and what i don't. I keep some, I flip some to help pay for the hobby. part of the fun for me is listening to different designs and hearing how much this stuff varies so much from brand to brand and model to model. I also gather items for friends and family members that "don't have a clue". Though listening is by far the best part, it is by no means what it is all about to me.
    If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of Progress?!

Monitor 5Jr, Monitor 5, RTA12, RTA 15TL, SDA 2A, 1c, SRS 2, 1.2TL, CRS, Atrium.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    After work, I'll listen more and try to find that SDA dimension.

I don't know how far along you are on checking all the connections inside and out of the speakers. Everything must be hooked up correctly or you are wasting your time. Obviously someone has been inside those speakers messing things up, who knows how much is possibly connected incorrectly.

Check everything, get it all hooked up right, clear out your listening area for the rest of your evaluation then decide of you even want to listen to your other speakers anymore.

When you get them hooked up, "Money" is a good track, Fleetwod Mac "Rumors" is a good album....list goes on.

Something to try when you listen, turn off the lights or just tilt your head back and close your eyes....then you will start envisioning a large stage with instruments and vocals appearing in different places.....very cool effect.
  • Mystery
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I am liking SDA sound more and more even though placement is not perfect yet. I hear kinda echo type sound that is more present in some tracks than other. When IC cable is disconnected, some room feeling sound disappears.
    Sometimes, some instruments' sounds (specially strings) feel like coming from back side but not consistently. I still don't get that 'Hey I don't have speakers there' feeling but something interesting happened.
    I was seated on the sweet spot browsing sites and all of a sudden, got a hair raising feeling on the back.
    Some Indian instrumental track was playing at the time through CRS+.
    I thought it was nothing but again after few moments, I got the same feeling.
    So I repeated the track and it happened again. I pulled the IC cable and played entire song but nothing happened.
    I plugged the IC cable back in and same weird feeling at few places in the track. It happens in more than one track.
    Looks like my brain noticed the difference that my ears still can't.
    Kinda spoooky or may be I'm going crazy. :eek:

Now, I'm more motivated to clean the space quick.
    gmcman wrote: »
    I don't know how far along you are on checking all the connections inside and out of the speakers. Everything must be hooked up correctly or you are wasting your time. Obviously someone has been inside those speakers messing things up, who knows how much is possibly connected incorrectly.

Check everything, get it all hooked up right, clear out your listening area for the rest of your evaluation then decide of you even want to listen to your other speakers anymore.

When you get them hooked up, "Money" is a good track, Fleetwod Mac "Rumors" is a good album....list goes on.

Something to try when you listen, turn off the lights or just tilt your head back and close your eyes....then you will start envisioning a large stage with instruments and vocals appearing in different places.....very cool effect.

I will check crossover and epoxy the drivers soon.
    Thanks

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited June 2012
    Options
    The echo sound is not fabricated, you start to realize how much reverb and effects they use in the recording studio to beef up recordings. It becomes much more apparent listening on SDA's. Todays recordings use way too much "fake" echo and reverb.

Alos remember, it all starts with the recording. Some recordings will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, others won't. It's not always about what the SDA is doing, it comes back to how something was recorded and the SDA just makes it more enjoyable or fleshes it out more.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    edited June 2012
    Options
    One more thing.....don't sit too close to the speakers. Whatever distance they are apart, make that your minimum distance to be seated. I'm fairly certain that's the rule
  • Mystery
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Finally organized few things.
    The stands I have are way too short, only 20 inches so I'm using 7's as stands for CRS.
    Music is more vibrant than 7's and wider.
    Due to limitation of my living room, I can never have 3 feet space for both speakers.
    I have one closer to the TV and another 1 ft. from the other side wall after stereo cabinet.
    The right speaker has enough space as it's on the side of staircase.
    Wall -- L CRS -- Stereo Cabinet -- TV -- R CRS -- Staircase railings

If I put both of them right next to TV, they'll have enough space on the side but then my couch is on the opposite side of the wall so listening distance will be an issue.
    I'm thinking of using my two recently acquired subs under the speakers somehow to raise them to ear level.
    But so far, I'm liking them more than all other monitors. :lol:

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Never place another speaker on top of a sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    edited June 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Never place another speaker on top of a sub.
    Okay. That means I have even less room to work with.
    Dang it! I need to look for a house soon. I may just move next to Larry's place and open windows to listen to his speakers. :mrgreen:

Let's see what I can do with my living room setup.
    Thanks.

• Mystery
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Update:
    So far I like these better than 7B's.
    I listened with and without IC cable and in some songs, the difference is very noticeable in a positive way.
    Still not perfect placement but wife likes them with IC connected so these will be in the house for now.
    Sorry Larry! :redface:

Since Larry is CRS upgrade guru and so close by if I need guidance, I am giving a thought of upgrade.

Quick question though, since 4.1TL upgrade needs RDO-198 tweeters, are they same as SL3000?
    I have SL3000 in RTA 8TL that could be wrong tweeters from fellow Polkies' comments.
    So, it may be a good swap if RTA 8TL's can use SL2000's from the CRS.
    Thanks

• Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Quick question though, since 4.1TL upgrade needs RDO-198 tweeters, are they same as SL3000?

No. The RD0198 is the replacement tweeter for the SL-3000.
  • Mystery
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Drenis wrote: »
    No. The RD0198 is the replacement tweeter for the SL-3000.
    So, SL-3000 won't do 4.1TL upgrade in CRS, it has to be RDO198?

• F1nut
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I have SL3000 in RTA 8TL that could be wrong tweeters from fellow Polkies' comments.
    So, it may be a good swap if RTA 8TL's can use SL2000's from the CRS.

The RD0198-1 is the direct replacment for the SL3000. Any speaker that can use the SL3000 can use the RD0198-1. Your RTA8TL's came with SL3000's, so you cannot use SL2000's or their direct replacement, the RD0194-1, in them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    edited July 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The RD0198-1 is the direct replacment for the SL3000. Any speaker that can use the SL3000 can use the RD0198-1. Your RTA8TL's came with SL3000's, so you cannot use SL2000's or their direct replacement, the RD0194-1, in them.

Okay, let's forget about RTS 8TL's.

Can I use SL3000 in the CRS since it's equivalent to RDO-198 with extra capacitor for TL upgrade or it has to be new RDO-198 from Polk?

• F1nut
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Can I use SL3000 in the CRS since it's equivalent to RDO-198 with extra capacitor for TL upgrade

Yes.

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Here is the best setup I can do with my current room...
    My speaker stands are only 20 inches tall so I'm using 7C's as stands for CRS+ for now.
    Not anywhere near perfect, but I like it better than previous setup.
    Thanks.

From left to right:
    Sound dynamics RTS-1200 sub-->CRS+ Left-->Stereo Rack-->TV<--Energy e:XL-S12 sub<--CRS+ Right.

LivingRoom20120717.JPG

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yes, 1 SL2000 tweeter each.
    The sticker doesn't mention + so was not sure.

Is $150 decent deal on these with the cable?

Here is the front picture.

Attachment not found.

Selling them are we?? I just saw them on CL...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2012
    Options
    skimming this thread, wow, how many SDAs are out there with the red and black binding caps swapped?

It's like Jeffery the dumbass worked at Polk and his only job was to put the binding caps on, and it took Polk months of assembling to find out he was doing it backwards.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Mystery
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Selling them are we?? I just saw them on CL...

Yes Larry.
    Let me know if you want to add another pair. :)
    These are not used on a daily basis so no use just storing them.

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You'd need a loaded gun to take my 4.1 TL's away from me.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yes Larry.
    Let me know if you want to add another pair. :)
    These are not used on a daily basis so no use just storing them.

You should post a for sale ad here on the polk fourm..
  • Mystery
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    You should post a for sale ad here on the polk fourm..

Done.
    Local sale only as I don't want to ship these.