The AI-1 Dreadnought Project Pt.1

Options

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I recall that Polk redesigned the SDA circuit and limited it to a specific band of frequencies below the high frequency crossover point. I don't remember what the SDA signal frequency range is. It's in my notes somewhere.

The SDA signal ranges up to 2-2.5khz leaving out the first gen of coarse.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I was looking for a better vibration damping material than the two neoprene rubber pads supplied with the Avel-Lindberg transformer. F1nut suggested I try Dynamat Extreme and offered to send me some. Thanks F1.

Dynamat Extreme panels were applied to all six sides of the Dreadnought's case, to the top of the transformer retaining ring, and between the transformer and the wood brace block. The brace block is there to provide additional support because the transformer enclosure rests on that side (see figure 23). Per the manufacturer's advice, the transformer's retaining bolt was hand tightened to avoid the possibility of over tightening. Overtightened with a wrench could damage the coil insulation and cause a short.

DmatCaseBottom-s.jpg

DmatCaseFront-s.jpg

DmatCaseRear-s.jpg

DmatCaseTop-s.jpg

The Dynamat Xtreme didn't make a big difference, but the difference wasn't subtle either. I'd compare it to tightening down the very last 1/4 turn on an already tight bolt:

1. The pace of the music was a little faster.
    2. Bass was a little tighter, heavier, and more defined.

The larger Dynamat pieces were cut on the underside of a small 2' x 2' wooden drafting table. A drafting t-square was used for a guide and cuts were made with a box cutter. Smaller pieces were cut with a very sharp pair of scissors.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Looking good!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    edited November 2008
    Options
    My Polk original AI-1 arrived today. I listened to it for 30 seconds then had to apply the baked potato tweak. I managed to hang in for a little over an hour before I had to go back to the Dreadnought.

I just wanted one for my treasure chest of SDA artifacts...and to have one for comparison purposes when I decide to mass produce the Dreadnought.

DK-AI1002s.jpg

mad.gifCalm down. Don't get excited. He's just kidding about mass producing that thing.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited November 2008
    Options
    mad.gifCalm down. Don't get excited. He's just kidding about mass producing that thing.

I just cussed you out Doc!:p
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Transformer shipped on Tuesday,,, should have it in operation by next weekend if all goes as planned,, will be driving 2.3 tl's with mono's,,hopefully.Thanks again DK, for the informative post.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I just cussed you out Doc!:p
    I've seen your crossover work, I can't see you having a problem building a Dreadnought.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Thanks Bro but Ray's work is perfect.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2008
    Options
    So Face, are you going to build me one? I'll buy you a liter of cola :D
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2008
    Options
    If he'll build you one for a liter of cola, I'll give him two liters to build me one too.:)
  • hearingimpared
    edited November 2008
    Options
    What cheapskates, I'll buy him a couple of cases.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2008
    Options
    m00npie wrote: »
    So Face, are you going to build me one? I'll buy you a liter of cola :D
    How about a few litres of Guinness? :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    How about a few litres of Guinness? :D

Sold! I just have to get the amps so it would be useful.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Here is my latest incarnation of the Avel Isolation Transformer. I am holding out for scraps of 20 oz. copper for the "final" stage.

A few pictures.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Eh, I've got some catching up to do.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Here is my latest incarnation of the Avel Isolation Transformer. I am holding out for scraps of 20 oz. copper for the "final" stage.

A few pictures.
    Looks real nice;) Good work:)
    F1nut wrote: »
    Eh, I've got some catching up to do.
    I have a lot of catching up to do:(
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm just seeing this for the first time, and once again am humbled by DK's work! One question I have: if this offers the sonic improvements over using the grounding strap and a straight sda connection by isolating the sda signal from the amp's ground, is there any reason why this application should be limited to non-common ground amps? Or would using a setup like this be applicable in all sda installations (capable of using the AI-1), even with common ground amps where the normal sda connection works just fine?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2009
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    ...if this offers the sonic improvements over using the grounding strap and a straight sda connection by isolating the sda signal from the amp's ground, is there any reason why this application should be limited to non-common ground amps?

People have asked about using an AI-1 with a common ground amp, but I don't recall reading a report from someone who did it. This is on my long list of things to try, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I don't know of a reason why an AI-1 couldn't be used with a common ground amp.
  • nspindel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm just wondering if a steroidal AI-1 assembly like you've built would offer sonic improvements in all applications, regardless of whether the amp is common ground or not.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm just wondering if a steroidal AI-1 assembly like you've built would offer sonic improvements in all applications, regardless of whether the amp is common ground or not.

STEROIDAL . . . that's a good one.:D
  • nspindel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I was going to say terroidal, but steroidal just sounded so much better :)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2009
    Options

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know. I would think that taking the SDA signal out of the amplifier's ground path is a good thing, even for a common ground amp.
    STEROIDAL . . . that's a good one.:D

Compared to the tiny stock AI-1, the Dreadnought is steroidal.;)
  • nspindel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    DarqueNight, any links on where to get the transformer? I asked PartsExpress for a price on the Y236906 since they sell Avel, but it's a special order for them and they're quoting $130.08 plus shipping. Also, do you have a link to where the enclosure can be purchased?

Thanks...
  • george daniel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Avel Lindberg direct,, just call em and they'll take it from there

I got my case from parts express,,, matter of fact,, I'll be putting mine up FS soon,,as I don't need it,, good luck.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2009
    Options
    DarqueNight, any links on where to get the transformer? I asked PartsExpress for a price on the Y236906 since they sell Avel, but it's a special order for them and they're quoting $130.08 plus shipping. Also, do you have a link to where the enclosure can be purchased?

Thanks...

The transformer was ordered directly from Avel-Lindberg (www.avellindberg.com). The enclosure was ordered form Par Metal, Inc. (www.par-metal.com).
  • nspindel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks! Been talking to George offline though, I may be grabbing his whole assembly.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thanks! Been talking to George offline though, I may be grabbing his whole assembly.

Isn't that kind of extreme to grab his whole assembly just to get his dreadnought? :D
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • nspindel
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Lol :)
  • KABII
    KABII Posts: 18
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Greetings,

I made a request to DarqueKnight for his assistance in building the dreadnaught or building one for me. He recommended that I contact ben62670, and George Daniels.

I tried contacting Ben, however, he cannot receive anymore private emails. I have a pair of Polk SDA 2.3s and presently drive them with a Pioneer Amp. However, I have a HT rig with a Cinenova Grande 5 for an AMP. I want to drive my 2.3s using the Cinenova but have no A-1 transformer. Hence I need a Dreadnaught to resolve my problem.

Ben and/or George, please contact me at kabrown2@cox.net to discuss a build. Thanks for your time and consideration.

V/R

Ken Brown II
    kabrown2@cox.net
    :cool:
  • george daniel
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Pm'd