Anyone else on the edge of their seat for Alien: Covenant?

2»

Comments

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,313
    Not me. The 1st one scared the **** outa me. Not a fan... Call me a pu$$y if you want...
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,015
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    T-minus 2 hours and I will be watching this.

Do report back with initial thoughts.
  • polkfarmboypolkfarmboy Posts: 5,717
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So far, in preparation I have watched Alien 1, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, AVP.

Next up, watch Alien 2, Prometheus.

Anything else I'm missing?

Like you I just watched em all although back to back the other day. If its fresh in your memory then between 1 and at the start if 2 when you watch there is this tiny little piece of info where they tell Ripley her daughter died. I just went and bought the video game because it is cannon and fills in what happened to her daughter who was a marine so that's the last piece of the universe to be discovered.

I want to wait for 4 like you do bluefox but the technology of the audio systems in theaters these days has upped the game. Now I pretty much go to the cinema for everything especially now they have the dreamloungers to kick up the feet.
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So far, in preparation I have watched Alien 1, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, AVP.

Next up, watch Alien 2, Prometheus.

Anything else I'm missing?

Like you I just watched em all although back to back the other day. If its fresh in your memory then between 1 and at the start if 2 when you watch there is this tiny little piece of info where they tell Ripley her daughter died. I just went and bought the video game because it is cannon and fills in what happened to her daughter who was a marine so that's the last piece of the universe to be discovered.

I want to wait for 4 like you do bluefox but the technology of the audio systems in theaters these days has upped the game. Now I pretty much go to the cinema for everything especially now they have the dreamloungers to kick up the feet.

The game is darn good stuff. Scary and immersive.
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,206
    eqvqbu36elfp.png
  • I just saw the HBO 15 minute preview - fans of this series s/b pleased. Release date supposedly is tomorrow, 5/19/17. It looks like Ridley Scott will breathe new life in this 4 decade old film series.

Yup watching it at 10am Mtn tomorrow. Will report back on thoughts spoil free.

Well?
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,194
    T-minus 2 hours and I will be watching this.

Do report back with initial thoughts.

Don't want to give any details... but wow... not what I was expecting, and some questions answered as to what happened after Prometheus. It was awesome in IMAX. I swear they had the volume dial a little higher than normal for this one.
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,044
    Saw it today. Big disappointment.

I thought Alien: Covenant was going to go further with the narrative started in Prometheus and provide more explanations about the origins of the Engineers and the xenomorphs, and of course, what happened to David and Shaw in their quest for the Engineers' home world. Instead, A: C is just a more expansive remake of the original 1979 "Alien" movie.

I'm sure Ridley Scott wanted to go in a more expositional direction, but it appears the studio bosses demanded, and received, the typical Hollywood horror/monster movie.

I found the multitude of plot holes to be quite jarring.
    I loved it personally but did notice the short comings of the plot. I also wasn't expecting much in the way of narrative due to how poorly received Prometheus was due to lack of xenomorph and horror. I loved Prometheus and thought what little we got answers to from the questions raised were good.

Overall I was happy with the film.
    I liked it, but was a little disappointed. A lot of hype on this one. As DK said, I was hoping for more about what happened after Prometheus.

I did really enjoy Prometheus by the way. Not really sure why so many people disliked it.

Covenant was a gate way for a new alien movie every year. It's been more than 5 years since Prometheus, that left us all wondering "WTF?"
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,565
    Sounds like the Star Wars reboot all over again. I'll wait for the BR release.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 5,701
    T minus 2 days for me!
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 8,967
    Starting rewatching Prometheus last night. So far I am enjoying it better than the first time. This might be one of those movies that need to be watched multiple times before truly understanding it.
    I watch Prometheus maybe six times
  • Strong BadStrong Bad Posts: 4,128
    I liked it, but was a little disappointed. A lot of hype on this one. As DK said, I was hoping for more about what happened after Prometheus.

I did really enjoy Prometheus by the way. Not really sure why so many people disliked it.

Covenant was a gate way for a new alien movie every year. It's been more than 5 years since Prometheus, that left us all wondering "WTF?"

This sums it up for me after seeing Covenant this afternoon. It was good, not great. Had it's problems.

Apparently Ridley Scott has the complete story for the next one already finished and has plans for 2-3 more movies. The last movie will tie in to the original Alien and I assume we'll see the Engineer's ship crash on LV426, where the crew in Alien investigate, thus tying it all together in one neat package.
    I just saw it, I gotta say... It was fantastic.

Things make sense.

David is one evil POS!
    edited May 20
    ^^^

Uhh spoiler alert! Delete!!
    Crap sorry!
  • K_MK_M Posts: 797
    edited June 7
    We just saw it last night, and it had some really great things, and some things that were a bit of a letdown also.

SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS

NOT a great movie, but entertaining, and seemed the mid section kinda drug it down, in some ways, but the end third was not able to truly make up for it.

The beginning sequence right up till "David" appeared to resque them, was great fun and top notch sci-fi to both of us, but things drastically slowed and the plot lost a lot of excitement after that.

Maybe they dwelled too much on the David story, and the characters seemed content to just wander around a dark deserted place and not get answers.
  • I checked at Amazon and the costs are about: DVD - $14; BD $19; BD 4K $23. It is available for pre order. No release date given for Alien Covenant. Maybe I'll wait for HBO release in a year or so.
  • campbellsoupcampbellsoup Posts: 48
    Better than it could have been. 3 out of 5 STARS.
    I checked at Amazon and the costs are about: DVD - $14; BD $19; BD 4K $23. It is available for pre order. No release date given for Alien Covenant. Maybe I'll wait for HBO release in a year or so.

I'll probably pre order on blu ray, those are pretty normal prices. Some anime movies in blu ray are $30-75 which bites but I settle for DVD versions.
  • I checked at Amazon and the costs are about: DVD - $14; BD $19; BD 4K $23. It is available for pre order. No release date given for Alien Covenant. Maybe I'll wait for HBO release in a year or so.

I'll probably pre order on blu ray, those are pretty normal prices. Some anime movies in blu ray are $30-75 which bites but I settle for DVD versions.

The movie is supposed to be released on BD this fall. So, probably in a few months used copies will be available at a nice savings. My DVD player died and a BD player is on my to buy list, but a few months away. I still can watch DVDs on my computer.

It was interesting to look at all the old movie titles that originally came out either in VHS or DVD. And then they were ported over to BD. And now they are being released in BD 4K versions. I wonder if Alien Covenant 4K version will also have Dolby Atmos or just HD 4K? I wonder how much is being done to movies from the 90s to make them BD 4K or if it is just the minimum and they slap "4K" on the box and sell it for more money? Most of that stuff I've already seen and it gets shown on the various movie channels in HD. Nothing wrong with updating the programing and letting people decide to add to their collections or not. Maybe the video market will now stabilize at BD 4K.
    I checked at Amazon and the costs are about: DVD - $14; BD $19; BD 4K $23. It is available for pre order. No release date given for Alien Covenant. Maybe I'll wait for HBO release in a year or so.

The movie is supposed to be released on BD this fall. So, probably in a few months used copies will be available at a nice savings. My DVD player died and a BD player is on my to buy list, but a few months away. I still can watch DVDs on my computer.

It was interesting to look at all the old movie titles that originally came out either in VHS or DVD. And then they were ported over to BD. And now they are being released in BD 4K versions. I wonder if Alien Covenant 4K version will also have Dolby Atmos or just HD 4K? I wonder how much is being done to movies from the 90s to make them BD 4K or if it is just the minimum and they slap "4K" on the box and sell it for more money? Most of that stuff I've already seen and it gets shown on the various movie channels in HD. Nothing wrong with updating the programing and letting people decide to add to their collections or not. Maybe the video market will now stabilize at BD 4K.

I'm about to start buying the 4k BR bundle packs so I don't have to rebuy when I get a 4k player. Netflix 4k is nice but obviously with it being streamed will never really be a true 4k picture.
2»