Anyone else on the edge of their seat for Alien: Covenant?

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    T-minus 2 hours and I will be watching this.

Do report back with initial thoughts.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So far, in preparation I have watched Alien 1, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, AVP.

Next up, watch Alien 2, Prometheus.

Anything else I'm missing?

Like you I just watched em all although back to back the other day. If its fresh in your memory then between 1 and at the start if 2 when you watch there is this tiny little piece of info where they tell Ripley her daughter died. I just went and bought the video game because it is cannon and fills in what happened to her daughter who was a marine so that's the last piece of the universe to be discovered.

I want to wait for 4 like you do bluefox but the technology of the audio systems in theaters these days has upped the game. Now I pretty much go to the cinema for everything especially now they have the dreamloungers to kick up the feet.
  • codycatalist
    Joey_V wrote: »
    So far, in preparation I have watched Alien 1, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, AVP.

Next up, watch Alien 2, Prometheus.

Anything else I'm missing?

Like you I just watched em all although back to back the other day. If its fresh in your memory then between 1 and at the start if 2 when you watch there is this tiny little piece of info where they tell Ripley her daughter died. I just went and bought the video game because it is cannon and fills in what happened to her daughter who was a marine so that's the last piece of the universe to be discovered.

I want to wait for 4 like you do bluefox but the technology of the audio systems in theaters these days has upped the game. Now I pretty much go to the cinema for everything especially now they have the dreamloungers to kick up the feet.

The game is darn good stuff. Scary and immersive.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    T-minus 2 hours and I will be watching this.

Do report back with initial thoughts.

Don't want to give any details... but wow... not what I was expecting, and some questions answered as to what happened after Prometheus. It was awesome in IMAX. I swear they had the volume dial a little higher than normal for this one.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Saw it today. Big disappointment.

I thought Alien: Covenant was going to go further with the narrative started in Prometheus and provide more explanations about the origins of the Engineers and the xenomorphs, and of course, what happened to David and Shaw in their quest for the Engineers' home world. Instead, A: C is just a more expansive remake of the original 1979 "Alien" movie.

I'm sure Ridley Scott wanted to go in a more expositional direction, but it appears the studio bosses demanded, and received, the typical Hollywood horror/monster movie.

I found the multitude of plot holes to be quite jarring.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • codycatalist
    I loved it personally but did notice the short comings of the plot. I also wasn't expecting much in the way of narrative due to how poorly received Prometheus was due to lack of xenomorph and horror. I loved Prometheus and thought what little we got answers to from the questions raised were good.

Overall I was happy with the film.

• mikeyb128
    I liked it, but was a little disappointed. A lot of hype on this one. As DK said, I was hoping for more about what happened after Prometheus.

I did really enjoy Prometheus by the way. Not really sure why so many people disliked it.

Covenant was a gate way for a new alien movie every year. It's been more than 5 years since Prometheus, that left us all wondering "WTF?"
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Sounds like the Star Wars reboot all over again. I'll wait for the BR release.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    T minus 2 days for me!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Starting rewatching Prometheus last night. So far I am enjoying it better than the first time. This might be one of those movies that need to be watched multiple times before truly understanding it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    I watch Prometheus maybe six times
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    I liked it, but was a little disappointed. A lot of hype on this one. As DK said, I was hoping for more about what happened after Prometheus.

I did really enjoy Prometheus by the way. Not really sure why so many people disliked it.

Covenant was a gate way for a new alien movie every year. It's been more than 5 years since Prometheus, that left us all wondering "WTF?"

This sums it up for me after seeing Covenant this afternoon. It was good, not great. Had it's problems.

Apparently Ridley Scott has the complete story for the next one already finished and has plans for 2-3 more movies. The last movie will tie in to the original Alien and I assume we'll see the Engineer's ship crash on LV426, where the crew in Alien investigate, thus tying it all together in one neat package.
    No excuses!
  • Joey_V
    I just saw it, I gotta say... It was fantastic.

Things make sense.

• mikeyb128
    David is one evil POS!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    edited May 2017
    ^^^

Uhh spoiler alert! Delete!!
  • mikeyb128
    Crap sorry!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited June 2017
    We just saw it last night, and it had some really great things, and some things that were a bit of a letdown also.

SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS

NOT a great movie, but entertaining, and seemed the mid section kinda drug it down, in some ways, but the end third was not able to truly make up for it.

The beginning sequence right up till "David" appeared to resque them, was great fun and top notch sci-fi to both of us, but things drastically slowed and the plot lost a lot of excitement after that.

Maybe they dwelled too much on the David story, and the characters seemed content to just wander around a dark deserted place and not get answers.
  • Better than it could have been. 3 out of 5 STARS.
    Anthem MRX 510
    XBOX 360
    WD Live Media Streamer
    Totem Model 1 Signature L/R/C
    Totem Rainmaker surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD

Go Dolphins!
    B)
  • codycatalist
    I checked at Amazon and the costs are about: DVD - $14; BD $19; BD 4K $23. It is available for pre order. No release date given for Alien Covenant. Maybe I'll wait for HBO release in a year or so.

I'll probably pre order on blu ray, those are pretty normal prices. Some anime movies in blu ray are $30-75 which bites but I settle for DVD versions.

• codycatalist
    I checked at Amazon and the costs are about: DVD - $14; BD $19; BD 4K $23. It is available for pre order. No release date given for Alien Covenant. Maybe I'll wait for HBO release in a year or so.

I'll probably pre order on blu ray, those are pretty normal prices. Some anime movies in blu ray are $30-75 which bites but I settle for DVD versions.

The movie is supposed to be released on BD this fall. So, probably in a few months used copies will be available at a nice savings. My DVD player died and a BD player is on my to buy list, but a few months away. I still can watch DVDs on my computer.

It was interesting to look at all the old movie titles that originally came out either in VHS or DVD. And then they were ported over to BD. And now they are being released in BD 4K versions. I wonder if Alien Covenant 4K version will also have Dolby Atmos or just HD 4K? I wonder how much is being done to movies from the 90s to make them BD 4K or if it is just the minimum and they slap "4K" on the box and sell it for more money? Most of that stuff I've already seen and it gets shown on the various movie channels in HD. Nothing wrong with updating the programing and letting people decide to add to their collections or not. Maybe the video market will now stabilize at BD 4K.

I'm about to start buying the 4k BR bundle packs so I don't have to rebuy when I get a 4k player. Netflix 4k is nice but obviously with it being streamed will never really be a true 4k picture.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    got my 4k uhd...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mikeyb128
    Picked mine up yesterday. Going to blast the theater on the weekend, it's been a while. Star Wars was the last.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• codycatalist
    I picked it up yesterday. Walmart had the blu ray plus a shirt for the same price as a blu ray Ha!

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    My 4K UHD Blue Ray arrived yesterday. Now to watch it. I rewatched Prometheus a month or so ago to prep for this.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    video is spectacular about 55 mins in
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • codycatalist
    video is spectacular about 55 mins in

Excited to watch it Saturday while the little one is away!