Adcom DAC owners.Help w/ tool I need

fbm211
fbm211 Posts: 1,488
edited August 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi all.I was getting ready to open up my GDA-600 and found that I need a allen wrench or some such to remove the 3 screws on the top front of the unit.Does anyone know what size those things are and if they are allen screws??? My new opamp will be here in a few days and Id like to find out what new caps and diodes I need to order too.Thanks...
SDA-2BTL with custom IC
Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
Harman Kardon T-55c TT
DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
Post edited by fbm211 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    T8 torx. Don't argue with me;) I know. I just checked it. Got it:)
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Thanks ben....What the heck was adcom thinking.I never even heard of those.But ebay seems to have em, in droves.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited August 2008
    sounds like you are going to hot rod that puppy,, let us know how it turns out--good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2008
    fbm211 wrote: »
    Thanks ben....What the heck was adcom thinking.I never even heard of those.But ebay seems to have em, in droves.

Very common at the hardware store. Adcom was thinking they don't want every Tom Dick and Harry poking around in there :D:).

I bought a set of Torx in a small screw driver sized set as sometimes that sized bit isn't available in the "multi" tool where you can swap bits, etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2008
    So are you gettting the dual AD825 module?

If your DAC happens to have output coupling caps I would recommend replacing them with a good quality film cap or better yet remove them entirely as DC offset should be low.
    You might want to replace any smaller electrolytics in the power supply and on the power rails (especially in the analog section)with larger value (more capacitance, same or higher voltage) that are of the low impedance variety.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Yep.Thats the opamp I ordered.(I was considering the burson discrete but its 155.00 and thats too much for me since this is my first mod.)..As far as the caps go I planned on replacing all the power supply caps with black gate or rubycon.And freds diodes.I havent done any reserch into the output coupling caps yet.Is that like replacing output caps in a preamp with something like V-CAPs.(Which I plan on doing someday.) Once I get the torx I ordered Ill post a pic of the inards.I just hope that opamp is easy to swap out.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    I eagerly await your impressions. I have a GDA-700 that could use a little help;)
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    I was considering the burson discrete but its 155.00 and thats too much
    Yeah the Burson looks real good but too bad for its so spendy.I used somthing similar in my DVDA/SACD player mod.http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55733&highlight=MODDING+SACD%2FDVD+PLAYER

I havent done any reserch into the output coupling caps yet.Is that like replacing output caps in a preamp with something like V-CAPs.
    Yes the same idea, but your choice of cap may depend on space available as room on the PC board may be limited.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Just attach the new caps to the underside of the top cover.
    If you mean attaching it to the underside of the top cover,then you wouldn't be able to take the cover on and off.

Anyway it appears to be direct coupled like Bens 700 so he won't have to change any coupling caps.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Thanks! No caps inline with signal:) Should be nearly the same as my GDA-700
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited August 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    fbm211,

Here's a set of screw drivers that if you owned you'll never have a problem opening anything again.

http://www.wihatools.com/400seri/46099_40_pc_set.htm

Sal

Except for the hex and Torx security bits, but they can be readily found as well. Such as here

Not sure if its still the case, but Apple uses those (torx-not the security torx) in their products-well at least the older macbooks.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the schematic kim.I couldnt fine one anywhere and I scoured the net for hours. I opened the 600 and damn me if I couldnt find anything that looked like an opamp.Is it on the side with the power supplys? In with all those big caps? And do I need to get some more opamps since you mentioned opamps.Just how many does it have?
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Kim wrote: »
    I did replace the stock Adcom Dual op amps with some Burr Brown 2134's and it does sound much better. I was also thinking of trying some 2132's if they are still available.
    Don't ya' just luv Digi Key???

I have a 8 2134's in front of my face right now! Woo Hoo. Time to plug in the gun!
    Thanks!
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71222
    Mine has 6 OpAmps
    Please shoot a pic of your main board. I need to compare to figure out what is the stereo, and balanced outs of mine. Did I mention Please?
    Thanks
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I have a 8 2134's in front of my face right now! Woo Hoo. Time to plug in the gun!
    Thanks!
    Ben

Post pics Ben, with close up details. :):D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    I did. Mine is Adcom 7AA OpAmps. The 600 Schematic is 6AA OpAmps. I can do a real fast test to see if the BB2134's will work, but I wish I knew what the Adcom badged chips really were:(
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    And do I need to get some more opamps since you mentioned opamps.Just how many does it have?
    The ones you want to replace are the 7AA's labeled U502 and U503.These are duals with one half functioning as the IV converter and the other as the low pass filter/output buffer.A nice touch is that they added a Fet at the output of the op amp to bias it into class A.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    This is the best I can do ben.I dont have a dig camera yet. Attachment not found. well that didnt work. Ben go to the forum test section I got a pic to work there.This uploading thing isnt working for me.I keep getting errors.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I did. Mine is Adcom 7AA OpAmps. The 600 Schematic is 6AA OpAmps. I can do a real fast test to see if the BB2134's will work, but I wish I knew what the Adcom badged chips really were:(
    Ben before installing the 2134's I would be sure that the 6aa's shown in the pics of your 700 are actually dual op amps and not singles.:DI'm betting there singles so you need OPA134's .I see 3 per channel,so likely one for the IV converter,one for the low pass filter/output buffer and one for the phase inverter on the balanced out.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Ben before installing the 2134's I would be sure that the 6aa's shown in the pics of your 700 are actually dual op amps and not singles.:DI'm betting there singles so you need OPA134's .I see 3 per channel,so likely one for the IV converter,one for the low pass filter/output buffer and one for the phase inverter on the balanced out.

Will do. I know the procedure;)
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    fbm,can you see 2 parts on the board labeled U502 and U503?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    yes thet are very small 8 pin chips
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    yes thet are very small 8 pin chips
    Bingo,As I mentioned in post #22 those are the op amps you will want to replace.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Im not sure those ad825s will fit.there is a diode on one side of each and a resistor on the other side.Like real close.And the jackass at reference audio mods hasnt even shipped or charged me for the 825 I ordered over a week ago.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    I don't know how the 2134 compares but the 2134's are cheap from DigiKey.com

Edit mine are 134's
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Do I need dip or soic
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Do I need dip or soic
    DIP,other possibilies are the OPA2604,2132 and LM4562.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    The adaptor board used for the AD825's might give enough clearance underneath for the resistor and diode but other things like big caps could make it hard to fit it in the alotted space.Maybe the company has the dimensions posted on their site so you can check.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Well this is just getting over my head kinda stuff but thats how you learn.Digi key has great live chat. So GV which do you recomend.AD825s or one of those other ones you mentioned.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    If it will fit the AD825 would be my first choice.but the 2134's are only $3.32 each.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing