Adcom DAC owners.Help w/ tool I need

Options

Comments

• fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ok.Ill shoot reference another email and see if I can send it back if it doesnt fit.Now its time to break in the new residents in my apt building.Its move in weekend here at state college.All those new penn state students are all over the place and classes start a week early this year.Cant have any more home football games before the students arrive.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2008
    Options
    fbm211 wrote: »
    Ok.Ill shoot reference another email and see if I can send it back if it doesnt fit.
    You do realize that 2 of those modules are needed right?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    yes. And I told them to send me two and charge me for two since they havent done so for the first one yet
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    After looking at the schem again I see they have put a small ferrite inductor in series with the output.It is unusual to see these used on analog signal lines and actually "might" have a more adverse affect on SQ than a coupling cap .(They are usually used to filter high frequencies on digital lines and power supply lines). If it were me I would replace them with a wire jumper,they are labeled L500 and L501.Also I would remove caps C550 and C551 but don't add a jumper in thir place.These caps in conjunction with the inductors form a filter, so they will not be needed if you remove the coils.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    OK and thanks for being so helpfull.I was also going to replace those analog out RCAs with something better like WBT nextgen silver connectors somewhere down the road too.Would replacing the standard wire and ground jumpers with VH audio OCC silver wire be a good idea.What guage and cotton or teflon(FEP)insulation? http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html (Actually I plan to rewire the whole thing with silver wire) Ive seen some of musical design/john hilligs work and he does this on his more expensive mods.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The short runs with silver may, or may not make an audible difference. I wouldn't go **** on rewiring the whole thing. The jacks are right there at the board. One thing with aftermarket jacks is that they may require drilling a larger hole, and they are more likely to twist inside the case do to the single jack, and Teflon sleeves.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    OK and thanks for being so helpfull.
    Your welcome.
    I was also going to replace those analog out RCAs with something better like WBT nextgen silver connectors somewhere down the road too.
    If you have the budget by all means use the WBT's they are premium connectors.I usually use the Typhany style CONNEX 53451's as they are hard to beat for the price.see link http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/connectors.html

While your at it you might also change the digital input RCA to a true 75 ohm BNC connector.Ideally both ends of the digital cable(which should be 75 ohm) and the transports digital out connector should be BNC as well.See Vampire 56013 http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/connectors.html

As Ben said use some short pieces of good wire for the analog outs,but IMO I think it would be a waste of time and money to rewire any power harness's with exotic wire.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    DIP,other possibilies are the OPA2604,2132 and LM4562.

What about the OPA2227PA....OPA227
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    What about the OPA2227PA....OPA227
    I have no experience with this one,although the 2227 would work in your DAC .While it can't tell you how it sounds the data sheet does'nt show it to be anything out of the ordinary.
    You could install a hi quality Dip socket with machine pins,this would allow you to easily swap in and out different opamps to see which one sounds best.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yo GV, thats exactly what I was looking for, I just couldnt remember what it was called.I had been reading about what different mod places could do to upgrade DACs and I came across one that installed something like that so you could upgrade opamps as better ones became available. Where can I get some of those to fit my board?..And thank you...Digi key has em but Im unsure of what to get.Pin spaceing,,, 6pin to pkg,,, etc...
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Cool.Thanks,I just ordered 2of them.And 2 OPA227s and 2 OPA2134s.Im going to order 2 627s too when I have some extra cash.I still havent heard from reference so I might get one of thos sioc to dip boards if I dont.And get the 825s from digi-key
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Cool.Thanks,I just ordered 2of them.And 2 OPA227s and 2 OPA2134s.Im going to order 2 627s too when I have some extra cash.I still havent heard from reference so I might get one of thos sioc to dip boards if I dont.And get the 825s from digi-key
    627's and 227's won't work as they are single op amps.The 2227 is the dual op amp version.The 2134 will be fine.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Just to clarify things,the 7AA op amps in your unit are duals so there are 2 complete op amps within the single 8 pin chip so you must replace them with duals.The OPA 227 contains just a single op amp in the 8 pin chip.So the OPA 2227 is 2x the OPA227 and the OPA2134 is 2x the OPA134.The AD825 modules you were considering would work because 2 op amps where contained on each adaptor board.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I just checked my digi key order and here is what I ordered.Please let me know if I got the right parts...https://sales.digikey.com/scripts/sales.dll?action=resumeorder;soglue=24339372;access_id=17070 I used this sote as a reference for part #s.And reviews. http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited August 2008
    Options
    fmb211-I just sent you a PM

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yes your parts # appear correct.The link to the op amp comparison looks interesting I will give it a read.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yeah that does look like a good idea.I was going to order two of those browndog adapters if I have to get the AD825s from digi key.Ive pretty much given up on reference audio mods.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    After further reserch i have come across a very interesting mod idea.(Thanks GV)So in a couple weeks Im going to get a IC socket that you can put TWO single opamps into.Im going to go with 4 OPA627s (2 in each IC).These will go into U502 and U503.I will compare these to the 2227s and 2134s that I should recieve this week.I scored a nice sony DSC-P51 digital camera for 10.50 on the bay last night so hopefully Ill be able to post some nice CLEAR pics.Hows the 700 mod ben??And if you forgot I still have that 6503 driver in a box with your name on it
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Hows the 700 mod ben??
    I am not ready to do the mod yet. I asked Adcom for a service manual, and I have not yet received it.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Im going to get a IC socket that you can put TWO single opamps into.Im going to go with 4 OPA627s (2 in each IC).These will go into U502 and U503.I will compare these to the 2227s and 2134s that I should recieve this week.
    Sounds like a great plan,I ll be interested in hearing your impressions of the differences between these 3 .I would again suggest (as I did in post#39) removing L500,L501 and installing a wire jumper in their place as they "may" (notice I said may) mask some of the differences between the op amps.

Good luck.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Oh,Just in case you were not aware, the IC socket and the op amps have a notch in the center on one end which determines the direction in which they should be installed.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ..dooh double post.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I recieved my opamps today from digi-key, and that MASSIVE catalog.I hope the digital camera arrives friday so I can post some before/after pics..As for the catalog Im looking for those 2 IC adapters that you can mount two single opamps onto.(4x OPA627BP).Oh, I was aware of the notch but not where it is located.Is it on the bottom of the chip?
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Im looking for those 2 IC adapters that you can mount two single opamps onto.
    I haven't seen them in the catalog but you might look in the Aries section.
    Oh, I was aware of the notch but not where it is located.Is it on the bottom of the chip?
    http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa2134.pdf its on the top side,centered at one end.If you look closely you will see it in the pic to the left of the O in OPA.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I have to admit after removing the board and seeing the underside Im just a little freaked out at the solder joints.So tiny and close together...I do not know if I have the skill to do such fine soldering.Did they have machines do the soldering to these things??I have three kinds of solder.Cardas tri,cardas quad,and WBT silver.The tri has a higher melting point(no lead) than the other two and is harder.Which would be the best choice and any tips on diong such fine work??I know I must be careful not to have any solder joints touch each other.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Go to Radio shack and getthe silver solder on a spool not in a tube. It is very fine gave, and very nice for the type of work you are doing. There will be nay sayers, but I have used this stuff exclusily for electronics. Very easy to work with, and clean;)
    PN 64-13 E .022 dia. 1.5 oz.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If you don't have a lot of soldering expierience I would use the solder that has the lowest melting point.Trying to learn on a densely populated PC board with silver solder might prove frustrating.As well it is best that parts and PC traces do not recieve too much heat.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • fbm211
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ok guys.Its a good thing I upgrade my PC every year or so.Ive got a-lot of old boards and cards laying around so Im gonna practice on one of those a few times till I get the knack.I have watched vids on soldering so I know the basics,its just a matter of getting a feeling for it.Thanks for the advice.Ill take a trip to the shack sat.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT