Adcom DAC owners.Help w/ tool I need

Options
13»

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Pick up some soldering braid. An old PCI card, or mobo can be fun to practice removing, and reinstalling components on;) In no time at all you will be plucking parts, and installing them with ease. To solder little stuff I just apply heat to the part for about 2 seconds, and the solder will stick pretty good. A lot of guys like to use low heat irons, but I like a 40 watter and just be quick about it. Leaving the iron on too long with any iron can kill the parts. If its not a good joint let it cool, and come back. You will see that solder seems to know where it belongs. A good magnifying glass is good to check for traces touching each other.
    Have fun
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited August 2008
    Options
    My cheap 25watt wallmart iron doesnt seem to be up to the task of transfering enough heat through the wick to melt and suck up the solder.And I tried melting new solder onto the old and it still wouldnt melt through the wick. http://cgi.ebay.com/E03-Soldering-Iron-with-Magnifier-Soldering-Station_W0QQitemZ140262237727QQihZ004QQcategoryZ46413QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 Im bidding on this
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Although many disagree. I like a hotter iron. A lower wattage iron has to be left on a part too long IMHO which transfers more heat to the part. You just have to use caution.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2008
    Options
    fbm211 wrote: »
    I tried melting new solder onto the old and it still wouldnt melt through the wick.
    I strongly recommend using a solder pump instead of the wick.In my day job as a QC tech I use the pump and only rarely resort to using the wick.

here is what I use the DS017 http://www.elexp.com/sdr_0822.htm.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Im looking for those 2 IC adapters that you can mount two single opamps onto.(4x OPA627BP).
    I see that Parts Connexion carry the brownDog adaptors for $4.95 a pop.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    I strongly recommend using a solder pump instead of the wick.In my day job as a QC tech I use the pump and only rarely resort to using the wick.

here is what I use the DS017 http://www.elexp.com/sdr_0822.htm.

I am just curious why you so recommend the pump over the braid. I am not doubting you. I know you have way way more experience than me, but I was taught that the braid actually pulls not only the solder, but wicks the heat too. It may just be my cheap pump, but it doesn't seem to get the solder out of the holes as well unless the holes are fairly large.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    It may just be my cheap pump,
    Maybe?my expierience has been that a good pump will usually pull all the molten solder from the joint in one quick shot at the same leaving a clean solder pad.I find that when using the braid ,it's more time consuming as it takes longer to heat the joint,the results are not as tidy,and it's just more of a hassle to work with when a lot of desoldering is required.But it will do the job.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ben if you are using one of the cheap squeeze type pumps it will not do anywhere near as good a job as the kind I linked to previously,they just don't have the shall I say ....sucking power.Do yourself a favour and get one,you will thank me later.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I have a spring loaded one, and not one of the crappy bulbs. The tip is kinda large. I think that may be the problem. Its awesome for big joints, but for IC's and such I just can't get close enough to the board.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I use both. I like the pump for the quick pull of the bulk of the solder, but as Ben mentioned, getting what wasn't pulled or getting the stuff out of the fine areas seems to work best with the braid for me. Sometimes I just can't get the pump into certain areas at the same time as an iron.
    I've also always had a difficult time with braid, but that's because it is a lot more copper and acts like a heat sink itself, so definately requires more heat to get it going.

I prefer a high wattage but selectable wattage iron.

Don't forget to clean and tip-a dirty tip will not pass as much heat-I use this.

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You guys rock.What about flux.In all those videos I watchad they used a-lot of it.And they had a nice electric solder sucker.I probably cant afford one of those cool tools though.My funds are limited and I want to get to my 2Bs Xover recap as soon as possible as that will give my system the biggest SQ increase.And after that some good custom sonic silver ICs W/silver bullets and revalation speaker cables.(DIY) Oh and I have finally made up my mind on the high pass caps.V-CAPS for sure.And sonicaps for the low pass.( I have one of those 40watt solder pumps and the tip on it seems too big too for those little solder joints.)
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • ben62670
    edited August 2008
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    ....Don't forget to clean and tip-a dirty tip will not pass as much heat

So very true!
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited August 2008
    Options
    What about flux.
    Not needed ,the solder already contains the flux or resin.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing