Velodyne HGS12.......o man......

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Ok ok,
I stopped by a friendly dealer today that carries it.And come to peak my attention to it,I had to give it a listen.Rotel rsp1066,rmb1075 and a pair of B&W N805's.Well at first I thought something was wrong.......no bass at all,then come to find out I was sitting in a null zone in the listening room.I stood where Liv4fam was and founf the sub to blend in beautiful........I was liking this......this I did it,freaked out the salesman by listening to the sub alone.We was taken by my freaky demo of a sub as no one he had ever seen in his life sit there and listen to a sub with no main channels or any channels playing......he didn't know what to think of me,Liv4fam just told him that I do what I do and leave me be..............well after listening to this fine sub,I had to add it to my single list of Sub's to listen to before I buy a new one......REL is my love but Velodyne just entered again from the past............Sweet sub and beautiful looking as well.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• mantis
    edited April 2003
    HUH,
    I'm suprised no one is into Velodyne.O well.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Maybe its not Velo, maybe its something else.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2003
    I haven't the model you mentioned. WE've the CT10 and 12, and the SPL10 and 12 at my store. They are pretty nice. :)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited April 2003
    I've heard some TOTL Velo, a small little bugger that cost 1,500. Tight, Accurate, Deep, Full, Loud. All that good stuff in a small box. If the price tag wasn't so out of this world it would be my next subwoofer to buy. The small size was the +++++.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Maybe its not Velo, maybe its something else.
    MAybe if you going to make a post like that you should state the "something else".......if not don't bother to reply.
    Dan
  • MichaelJ
    MichaelJ Posts: 47
    edited April 2003
    I spent a lot of time looking at subwoofers and ended up with a Definitive Technology SuperCube I . An excellent match for my fronts, and at 1,500watts it'l never run out of power. If you want a top quality sub that is a good match for your Polks, check it out.
    Mains: RTA15T
    Front Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Sufwoofer: Definitive Tech SuperCube I
    Audio: Onkyo TX-SR600
    HDTV: Mitsubishi 55" wide screen
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by MichaelJ
    I spent a lot of time looking at subwoofers and ended up with a Definitive Technology SuperCube I . An excellent match for my fronts, and at 1,500watts it'l never run out of power. If you want a top quality sub that is a good match for your Polks, check it out.

I heard some Def Tech subwoofers, not musical at all - very boomy. Its perfect for Home Theater though.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2003
    Sid:

Why would a boomy, non-musical subwoofer be perfect for HT?

Mantis:

The Velo HGS series are great subwoofers - they are on my short list of recommended subs. Velodyne is coming out with a replacement for the HGS line which will have a sophisticated built-in parametric EQ which will monitor the sub's in-room FR at the listening position (with included mic) and automatically correct (to the extent possible) for peaks and nulls and provide the flattest FR possible.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    edited April 2003
    Doc,
    I thought it was going to be an add on.Huge thing I believe.To set it up,I heard they supply microphones for points in the room.Expensive also.I gotta see it.
    Dan
  • MichaelJ
    MichaelJ Posts: 47
    edited April 2003
    For several hundred dollars more, I could have gotten a Velodyne HGS, but at some point you get the best you can within your budget (and your spouse's tolerance level). The Definitive Technoloy SuperCube I that I bought for my system plays a subtle Tracy Chapman and an awesome Saving Private Ryan. Good music ... good movies ... that's what an AV system is for.
    Mains: RTA15T
    Front Center: CSi40
    Surrounds: FXi50
    Sufwoofer: Definitive Tech SuperCube I
    Audio: Onkyo TX-SR600
    HDTV: Mitsubishi 55" wide screen
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Mantis,
    I heard the HGS10. That subwoofer was completely awesome for how small it was. I was expecting something terrible and small, but from that little small cube (the smallest subwoofer in the room) it had the loudest, fullest, cleanest, deepest sound out of all the subwoofers. It was amazing. 1,500 is way to steep for that little cube though.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by MichaelJ
    For several hundred dollars more, I could have gotten a Velodyne HGS, but at some point you get the best you can within your budget (and your spouse's tolerance level). The Definitive Technoloy SuperCube I that I bought for my system plays a subtle Tracy Chapman and an awesome Saving Private Ryan. Good music ... good movies ... that's what an AV system is for.

Michael:

I wasn't attacking nor necessarily supporting your choice of the DT Supercube I. I was just asking Sid why he thought boomy and non-musical was acceptable for HT.

I'm glad you like the performance of the DT SC I, and that it fits into your budget and meets your wife's approval.

Doc

SVS
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Sid:

Why would a boomy, non-musical subwoofer be perfect for HT?

Because its loud, it makes noise, it has low exstention. Its perfect for HT, it shakes things - bottum line. The manager even said to me (who has been in the audio business for about 30 years) that we both agreed that the Def Tech subs had their own little place in the HT department. They were very boomy and held a lot of volume and could go deep
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2003
    HT is much more than being loud, and shaking things. I submit a boomy, "non-musical" subwoofer has no place in any application - music, HT, or otherwise.

A great sub does everything well. If it has a flat FR, low THD, deep extension, good transient response/short group delay, and a linear SPL capability across its entire entire operating range, it will sound great on everything.

A great sub will equally enhance both music and HT - that's the real bottom line.

Doc

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2003
    Yeah, whatever Doc. Get back to us when you have '30 years experience in the audio industry'. ;) wink-wink

As if Doc knows *anything* about subs, sheesh.

Cheers,
    Russ

(agreed btw, a good sub will do it all)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited April 2003
    A good sub will do it all, but a lot of the same type of people who like bose and who think "5000 WATTS!!!!!!" is a sign of quality would prefer -BUTT RAPINGLY LOUD- over musical. It all depends on what your target market is and what *they* like. People like us aren't *they*, and we would probably give up an extra decibal or two to get a shorter group delay because it sounds better. But that all depends on what you call "better". My cousin thinks the speakers sound "better" in the corners because they are louder and have more bass. I think they are "better" in the location I've chosen because it has better imaging and I find corner placement fatiguing. It all depends on what "better" is.
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Well let me tell you what I heard -

Def Tech Subwoofers: Loud, Boomy, Low Exstention, Deep, not full and not near accurate. 150% PERFECT for HT. Yes a good sub does it all, but this subwoofer for me, wouldnt not satisfy me for music. I would murder it and throw it out the window. Totally terrible. IMO.

Mcintosh Subwoofers: Dull, Dry, Low Exstention - Can't clip it, when you turn the system up it turns itself down. So overall for 2,000 ducks it just sucks! (and yes I meant to put ducks)

Velo HGS10: Totally effin rocked, smallest subwoofer in the showroom and the best. Loudest, deepest, DEFINTELY THE MOST ACCURATE, it was just pure musical, and had the volume to play HT. For the small size I'm sure it would pass many of your guys WAF deals. It was just a completely awesome subwoofer with a STEEP price tag 1,500.

B&W: Sounded distorted, didn't listen to it.

Overall I really liked the Velodyne HGS, But I felt it couldn't out perform my M&K in accuracy, or low exstention, more the less anything except volume. It sounded a bit deeper though, Velodyne makes nice subwoofers. However if I ever buy a new subwoofer it will definetely be SVS, I am totally CURIOUS about thoughs mofos!

RS: I think you rag on me for putting my speakers in the corner, let me comment on why I have them there. I've had my speakers all across the front wall beside the TV, and I will tell you the best I have heard it where they are now. The highs are SMOOTH, and the bass rolls off perfect and is smooth within the speakers and the subwoofers. Its a smooth placement in my opinion, nothing annoying about it. I get way better imaging this way to, I found putting them forwards that the soundstage went insane, in the corner they were a tad bit more controlled; and I liked this sound.
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    I understand what you mean MX. They have a very "purist" design that I think is inherently more efficient and just plain smarter than the tiny black boxes you can find in CC for the same price. Of course, they sell over the internet like Outlaw so the price is lower than it would be, but I think you know what I mean.

They definately look cool. I bet if you bought enough of them you could arrange them into columns and redo the theater room Roman style :lol: Definite cool factor and sky high WAF.
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by rs159
    I understand what you mean MX. They have a very "purist" design that I think is inherently more efficient and just plain smarter than the tiny black boxes you can find in CC for the same price. Of course, they sell over the internet like Outlaw so the price is lower than it would be, but I think you know what I mean.

They definately look cool. I bet if you bought enough of them you could arrange them into columns and redo the theater room Roman style :lol: Definite cool factor and sky high WAF.

RS BUILD YOUR HOUSE OUT OF SVS SUBWOOFERS! HOLY SHITTE MUSLIM! YOUR NEIGHBORS WOULD LOVE YOU MAN! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    RS: I think you rag on me for putting my speakers in the corner, let me comment on why I have them there. I've had my speakers all across the front wall beside the TV, and I will tell you the best I have heard it where they are now. The highs are SMOOTH, and the bass rolls off perfect and is smooth within the speakers and the subwoofers. Its a smooth placement in my opinion, nothing annoying about it. I get way better imaging this way to, I found putting them forwards that the soundstage went insane, in the corner they were a tad bit more controlled; and I liked this sound.

Actually, no personal attack on you MX. In a tiny, and especially a cubic room I understand how even though most everything is unpredictable, the one unchanging truth is that anything you put in the middle will have no bass at all. Zero, cero, none. I find that in most tiny rooms You get a better sound when the listening position is about 2 feet from the wall behind and the speakers are about 1 foot from the rear wall. No more, or they sound harsh and bright, no less becuase it gets chesty. If your speakers are in the corner and you have no choice, then putting the listening position in about the dead center of the room should sound at least remotely the same. The only problem I could see is reflections, your corner acts like a very poorly engineered horn and you get a lot of reflections from the speakers being so close to reflective surfaces. This might actually be helpful in a small room to make it sound bigger. The trick is to get stuff to sound big in a small room. Almost like voodoo, but it can be done with enough effort.

No hard feelings?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2003
    -BUTT RAPINGLY LOUD- It all depends on what "better" is.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Goddamn that was funny!

Like it or not, Sid is "people like us" because he frequents this forum and owns Polk.

So in the interest of advancing our agenda of knowledge sharing and higher learning, I thought it best to explain to him that the concept of a sub being "better" for music or HT is poppycock.

Your cousin simply hasn't developed his hearing to the same level of refinement you have achieved, and it is encumbant upon you to educate him as to why his point of view is "wrong" and your's is "better".

In this forum "better" is defined by what is commonly accepted and agreed upon principles, knowledge, practices, equipment, and procedures in the hi-fi and HT community - what is cutting edge or state-of-the-art, if you will.

Like progressive scan, or SACD, or hi-def TV, or Vifa tweeters, SPL meters, system calibration, and yes - what features and performance characteristics define a world class subwoofer. And "butt rapingly loud" ain't it, no matter what your cousin or any other uninformed shmoe says. We aren't concerned with "them" at Club Polk.

Doc

SVS
  • VR3
    edited April 2003

Actually, no personal attack on you MX. In a tiny, and especially a cubic room I understand how even though most everything is unpredictable, the one unchanging truth is that anything you put in the middle will have no bass at all. Zero, cero, none. I find that in most tiny rooms You get a better sound when the listening position is about 2 feet from the wall behind and the speakers are about 1 foot from the rear wall. No more, or they sound harsh and bright, no less becuase it gets chesty. If your speakers are in the corner and you have no choice, then putting the listening position in about the dead center of the room should sound at least remotely the same. The only problem I could see is reflections, your corner acts like a very poorly engineered horn and you get a lot of reflections from the speakers being so close to reflective surfaces. This might actually be helpful in a small room to make it sound bigger. The trick is to get stuff to sound big in a small room. Almost like voodoo, but it can be done with enough effort.

No hard feelings?

No hard feelings, I have tilted, moved my speakers so they blend seamless and the soundstage is directly centered. There is a bass null on the right side of the room though, so everything sounds outta wack on the right, but on the middle/left it sounds great! When I get my own house I will be able to have more options with placement...
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    Doc, read up. I wasn't attacking Sid
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    MX, when you build your own house save yourself a lot of headaches and don't build parallel walls. The best would be a slight horn shape with the smallest wall where your TV is and the largest one holding the surrounds. Standing wave killer. You could even go crazy and build any bedrooms that might have secondary systems with ceilings that aren't perpendicular to the walls.

BTW, love the sig :lol:
  • rs159
    edited April 2003

RS BUILD YOUR HOUSE OUT OF SVS SUBWOOFERS! HOLY SHITTE MUSLIM! YOUR NEIGHBORS WOULD LOVE YOU MAN! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Waaaaaaaaaa! I believe in the cross BTW ;)

The neighbors would love me, wouldn't they? Ya know, that kinda reminds me of this guy I'm sure most of you saw it in the two channel forum but just for **** and giggles...
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    LOL! RS, My house will be pretty normal, just will be made to make my Rig look as clean as possible.

Doc,
    While I am reviewing subwoofers I will comment on something.
    My subwoofer, as we have found out - is definetely not the loudest. But I will tell you one thing after listening to some high dollar subwoofers. It is by far the most accurate. I couldn't believe how my subwoofer literally SMASHED others in accuracy. The M&K does not miss a note, it does them all and keeps clean. Velodyne, is deeper, louder, but the accuracy of it just couldn't compete to the M&K. The Mcintosh was accurate, yet it STILL COULDN'T quite compete with the M&K, it was close but not as good. I plan on buying a SVS probally sometime this year, and I don't expect to slam the M&K. I expect to beat it in alot of aspects that will mean alot to me now as I like loud music, but when I grow older the M&K will suit my needs alot more. Clean, Accurate, Deep, Rich sound. This is my opinion of course, and I am not trying to start a flame war but this is what I have found and it makes me a proud owner of my M&K. No, it's no the loudest, it dosn't have the lowest exstention, but it hits down to 15-18 hz, My friend made a fr spectrum with fruity loops and it held on till it hit down to 16 hz, and I couldn't feel a thing down to 15-8hz. It may not be the deepest sounding, but it is one of the most accurate, fullest sounding subwoofers I have heard. IMO.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2003
    Doc, read up. I wasn't attacking Sid

I didn't think you were attacking him at all; quite the contrary, I thought you were (in a tacit sense) supporting his opinion.

My point is - it's OK to let the rest of the world stall at the "boomy and butt rapingly loud is good" stage - who cares about them. But if Sid's going to stick around, we are obligated to "bring him along" on our collective journey to better sound.

SVS
  • rs159
    edited April 2003
    Doc, speaking of my cousin, to give a better idea of where he's at hi-fi wise, he disconnected his tweeters because his speakers were too bright. Those speakers, BTW are Jensen 3 way towers with 15" woofers "Because 15s are louder" :rolleyes: And talk about perfect voice mathcing, those 15" towers are paired up with one of those $100 "instant surround" sets you can get at CC that include a small center and even smaller surrounds. All this hooked up to a $400 AC3 receiver, none the less.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2003
    I couldn't believe how my subwoofer literally SMASHED others in accuracy.

The M&K does not miss a note, it does them all and keeps clean.

....it STILL COULDN'T quite compete with the M&K, it was close but not as good.

Clean, Accurate, Deep, Rich sound.

what I have found and it makes me a proud owner of my M&K.

.... it is one of the most accurate, fullest sounding subwoofers I have heard.

Well, Sid, you just made my point for me - thanks.

Riddle me this BatMx: Which sub would you rather have for HT - your M&K, or some "lesser" sub? I think you already know the answer, and that's all I was trying to get you to think about.

Doc

SVS
  • VR3
    edited April 2003
    Doc, speaking of my cousin, to give a better idea of where he's at hi-fi wise, he disconnected his tweeters because his speakers were too bright. Those speakers, BTW are Jensen 3 way towers with 15" woofers "Because 15s are louder" :rolleyes: And talk about perfect voice mathcing, those 15" towers are paired up with one of those $100 "instant surround" sets you can get at CC that include a small center and even smaller surrounds. All this hooked up to a $400 AC3 receiver, none the less.

To think, ya'll thought me thinking my JVC rocked was insane, now I don't feel so alone in the world. After hearing my RT35i's on seperates, only few things can solve my audio adrenaline so to speak. I must have a certain sound. A tweeter or a high quality FR is a must. An accurate midrange is a must, smooth, accurate, loud bass is a must!
    Doc, it all makes sense now! HAHA! I guess you have to hear other stuff to appreciate what you have! LOL!