Options
13»

Comments

• ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited October 2007
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Whatever, man, I'm just trying to make a suggestion.

Do what you want, I don't give a **** one way or the other.

BDT
    I WILL stop, if they stop.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2007
    Options
    What is with the pity party.

Nobody said not to mention your gear or anything like that. It would help if it had something to do with the topic. If someone asks a question about 801's feel free to add your opinion. But when someone asks about monitor 4's there is no need to mention your 801's or a friend you knew that designed some high end piece of equipment. If it doesn't pertain to the subject at hand keep it out. Or better yet start a post about the equipment you owned.
  • ka7niq
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    What is with the pity party.

Nobody said not to mention your gear or anything like that. It would help if it had something to do with the topic. If someone asks a question about 801's feel free to add your opinion. But when someone asks about monitor 4's there is no need to mention your 801's or a friend you knew that designed some high end piece of equipment. If it doesn't pertain to the subject at hand keep it out. Or better yet start a post about the equipment you owned.
    Again, you misunderstand me.
    Threads sometimes go where they go.
    I am here to talk audio.
    I can't help it if I happen to own 801's or Von Schweikerts, or that I know several people in audio.
    THAT is my life.
    Personally, I find it hard to listen to people who THINK they hear a difference in silver vs copper wire.

It is all relative I think.

NONE of this pertains to what WAS going to ba a thread about using Pink Noise for tweeter break in.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Can I not say this thread is getting boring?

EDIT; I noticed you say a lot you're a HAM; How?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited October 2007
    Options
    A little word of advise. Take it or leave it as intended. Stop defending every post and drop it and move on. Once you stop responding to off topic issues.........guess what, everyone else does too and then it dies.

Just walk away. It's better in some instances, because you aren't going to win and neither is anyone else who is part of this ongoing dialog. It will go on in perpetuity.

Just my last .02c

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited October 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    A little word of advise. Take it or leave it as intended. Stop defending every post and drop it and move on. Once you stop responding to off topic issues.........guess what, everyone else does too and then it dies.

Just walk away. It's better in some instances, because you aren't going to win and neither is anyone else who is part of this ongoing dialog. It will go on in perpetuity.

Just my last .02c

H9

Nice advice.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ka7niq
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yep, a GREAT idea, time to move on :)
    W/O malice either I might add.
    This is my Last post in this thread.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thank God!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited October 2007
    Options
    ka7niq wrote: »
    Pink noise, especially eq boosted, really forces the tweeter to move. I plan to let em burn in some more tomorrow.

To each his own. I prefer to use music at moderate to high levels to break in speakers or speaker components. For me, this has a few advantages:

1. The speaker components are broken in with signals typical of what they will be producing in actual music reproduction.

2. The use of music that I am very familiar with during the break in process allows me to more accurately detect any anomalies in the sound.

3. The use of music that I am very familiar with during the break in process allows me to more accurately gauge and document the changes (and hopefully improvements) in sound as the speaker or speaker component(s) break in.
    There really is not much UP beyond 2K, and it can take a tweeter a long time to break in.http://www.dak.com/reviews/Tutorial_frequencies.cfm
    Most musical fundamentals are much lower in frequency then you might think.
    Another Learning experience for you F1NUT, read and weep :)Amplitude of harmonics decreases inversely to the frequency of the harmonics, i.e. the 2nd harmonic of a sound is lower in amplitude than the fundamental, yet higher in amplitude than successive harmonics.

For a pure fundamental tone produced by a signal generator, the harmonics of the fundamental frequency will decrease in amplitude as the harmonic frequencies increase. However, this decreasing harmonic amplitude does not apply to music signals. If it did, all musical instruments would sound very similar to each other. Musical instruments create complex acoustic waveforms that are heavy with harmonic distortion. In the case of instruments that produce "buzzy" type sounds (e.g. saxophones, electric guitars, etc.), the amplitude of certain higher harmonics may be close to, or exceed, the amplitude of the fundamental frequency. I am attaching a copy of an article from a respected scholarly publication, the Journal of Neurobiology, [Volume 59, Issue 3 (June 2004), pages 319-330] which states (pg. 320, col. 2, par. 2):

"Male zebra finches sing stereotyped motifs of typically three to seven distinct syllables. Many syllables are characterized by low fundamental frequency and complex harmonic content, where upper harmonics often exceed the fundamental frequency in relative amplitude."

The chart that shows the frequency ranges of fundamental and harmonic tones produced by musical instruments (here) neglects to mention that, for musical instruments (and also for human and animal voices), the amplitude of the harmonic content is quite significant.

If you do a Google search on "musical acoustics" or "harmonic content of music", you will find many references for further reading. Some of these references will include spectrograms of sound produced by various musical instruments. These spectrograms show the relative amplitudes of the fundamental tones and harmonics produced by an instrument.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Good read...thanks, man.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut