cassettes, who knew

Options

Comments

• JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2007
    Options
    The CR-1A that has CR-2A written on it? I SEE IT!! Which university was that again?

Shootin' fish in a barrel here.

Sona, this isn't even fun anymore. I shall cease and desist. Case rested.

And I'm getting a REAL warm fuzzy about the artillery officer thing. What was your job? Drag the things around with a truck? Please don't tell me you shot them.

Wow what do you know George, my cassette player is even better than I thought. Thanks for pointing that out:) Shows about how much I cared about this piece of equipment. (I got it free from my dad) Your pretty sharp. Nice way to make fun of a former soldier. Nice show of respect. I'll remember to mention that to my friends when they get back from aphganistan. Keep digging your hole little man.
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited October 2007
    Options
    CR 1A and CR 2A use essentially the same electronics and the same record/playback head, same transport mechanism, logic controls, etc. The 3 big difference's being the number on the faceplate, the bias fine tune, which I never understood for a 2 head deck (because you can't monitor the results while recording) and an output control.

Don't get me wrong Nak's entry level was damn good, better than most mid-level decks from other manufacturers.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Mr. Brick aka "Thick As A",

I have oodles of respect. I am STILL a member of the military. I think you want to re-visit the spot where you called moi, a jackass. You should reflect on that. The ONLY thing you have even come close to getting correct in this ENTIRE thread is, that I am not a large man, but I figure somebody helped you out with that one.

Artillery officer?

Mulligan? Kelly's Heroes anybody? Good night Mr. Brick.
  • JimBRICK
    edited October 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    CR 1A and CR 2A use essentially the same electronics and the same record/playback head, same transport mechanism, logic controls, etc. The 3 big difference's being the number on the faceplate, the bias fine tune, which I never understood for a 2 head deck (because you can't monitor the results while recording) and an output control.

Don't get me wrong Nak's entry level was damn good, better than most mid-level decks from other manufacturers.

H9

thats what I was told. it's a great tape deck just not top tier. The only thing I know about it is that it sounded better than any tape I ever heard. Not a hiss to be heard. I boxed it up tonite and I'm sending it out on wednesday. I'm going to hook my satilite into my SP3 tommorow to see how it sounds through the amp on my heresy's.

Oh and H9, I don;t think anyone else knows as much about tape players as you still do.
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • heiney9
    edited October 2007
    Options
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    Oh and H9, I don;t think anyone else knows as much about tape players as you still do.

Well that could be true of Nak decks. I've always thought they were the best and I have owned several over the years when cassette recording was popular. Ask me about a Sony or Denon and I couldn't tell you much. But Nak's I know a little about.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I'll remember to mention that to my friends when they get back from aphganistan.

It's spelled Afghanistan by the way.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • JimBRICK
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Mr. Brick aka "Thick As A",

I have oodles of respect. I am STILL a member of the military. I think you want to re-visit the spot where you called moi, a jackass. You should reflect on that. The ONLY thing you have even come close to getting correct in this ENTIRE thread is, that I am not a large man, but I figure somebody helped you out with that one.

Artillery officer?

Mulligan? Kelly's Heroes anybody? Good night Mr. Brick.

Yes Officer, my final promotion was to Second Lieutenant. I served with 2nd Regiment of The Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. I was discharged after a back injury I recieved in Surac, Croatia.
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • JimBRICK
    edited October 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    It's spelled Afghanistan by the way.

Yeah my brain moves faster than my fingers.
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2007
    Options
    The Royal Canadian Horse Artillery

Maybe horses are cheaper than artillery shells, but I have to believe they are somewhat ballistically challenged :eek:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • heiney9
    edited October 2007
    Options
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Maybe horses are cheaper than artillery shells, but I have to believe they are somewhat ballistically challenged :eek:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Good one!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    Options
    ok guys. enough already.. this is way off track now... for the sake of the rest of us.. if you want to continue this bickering, start your own damn thread..

this was about cassettes and how I dug some out of the attic, and hooked up my old Sony POS deck and it sounded ok.. don't get this thread locked up.. or i'll be pissing nails.

have a nice day :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    or i'll be pissing nails.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that's gotta hurt especially if they come out side ways!!! Did you ever have kidney stones . . . feels the same way, like a bowling ball with spikes rolling out.:eek:
  • George Grand
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Noooo, if it's mis-spelled, the "fingers are moving faster than the brain". I'm noticing a pattern here. If you turn everything 180 degrees ...........

Couldn't sleep.

I like cassettes. Back on track now.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I'm gettin some great quotes out of this thread!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Man, this stuff is GREAT!!

George, you are in the military? I didn't know that.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Yashu
    Yashu Posts: 772
    edited October 2007
    Options
    You guys are making me want to visit ebay and grab a tape deck... damn y'all.

How the hell am I supposed to afford the NAD c162 I have been wanting if I have to get a tape deck too!?!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2007
    Options
    All the cassette talk and yet no one has mentioned which brand of blank cassette tape was the best.

TDK? Maxell? Sony? Denon? BASF? Memorex?

I remember at my old college radio station, fistfights would break out over which brand was best.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yashu wrote: »
    You guys are making me want to visit ebay and grab a tape deck... damn y'all.

How the hell am I supposed to afford the NAD c162 I have been wanting if I have to get a tape deck too!?!

check your local thrift stores and garage sales.. this one dude was giving away a nice big, Pioneer silver faced deck for free. I almost took it till he told me it has some issues. it was nice looking though. thing must have been a good 10 inches tall. :eek:
  • heiney9
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    All the cassette talk and yet no one has mentioned which brand of blank cassette tape was the best.

TDK? Maxell? Sony? Denon? BASF? Memorex?

I remember at my old college radio station, fistfights would break out over which brand was best.

Maxell MA-XG metal cased Metal tapes that cost about $5 a piece. I used a lot of Nakamichi brand tapes which were rebadged TDK SA. I used TDK SA-X and Scotch Brand metal tapes. I worked in a high end shop so I got tapes at cost.

H9
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    back in the day H9 I used those TDK SA ones too... just before I gave up on cassettes... they did sound very good and dynamic if I remember right.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I bought 10 packs of whatever was on sale.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2007
    Options
    TDK SA-X as well.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I bought 10 packs of whatever was on sale.

you've come a long way baby! ;)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I certainly have!:D
    danger boy wrote: »
    you've come a long way baby! ;)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited October 2007
    Options
    My sister still has a box (5 pack) of the ceramic-shell Sony Metal Master blanks in her closet. These are as heavy as the TDK MA-XG's.

Denon HD-series blank tapes are excellent as well....I remember taping the digitally recorded "Like a Virgin" (Madonna) CD using Denon HD-7 high-bias blanks and listening to the tape on my Sony Walkman (using Type II EQ and Dolby B). Even the Walkman can deliver analog goodness.

BTW, I used to record the "Joe Frank Show" off of my local Public Radio station using Maxell UR-120 (60 minutes per side). I still have these tapes and I play them back occasionally on my bright-yellow Sony "Sports" Walkman....they still hold up after almost 20 years.
  • George Grand
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I loved the sound of TDK SA-X, but I've yet to see one that didn't start to squeal after about 15-20 years. Bad little reel things I guess. Maxells didn't sound as good as TDK, but the drive systems were much better. I have some Maxell's that have to be close to 35 years old now. No squeals. I be liking the sound of those Denon's too. Good tape.

Memorex was the worst tape ever made. Everything sounded like it was recorded underwater. "Hey Ella, are you freakin' deaf? There's no WAY that **** sounds live." Which famous trumpeter was in those commercials? He must've been hurting for cash BAD to plug that **** tape.

Maxell XL-IIS wasn't real bad.
  • Yashu
    Yashu Posts: 772
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I forget what tape was my favorite, but they were metal oxide and, from what I remember, cased in something more inert than plastic (bluish gray), but it wasn't actual metal.
  • hanksterz
    Options
    I now own a Nak CR1, some prerecorded cassette tapes sound better than some costly CD.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Sade is actually Pronounced Sha-day

Talk about blowing dust around🎶🎼🎵🎼🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Sade is actually Pronounced Sha-day

Talk about blowing dust around🎶🎼🎵🎼🎩

I hear she's a smooth operator
    Post edited by westmassguy on
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/