cassettes, who knew

1235»

Comments

• I've got about 100 cassettes that need a new home. Do any of you tape heads want them? I just don't have the heart to throw them out.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Ba dum bump
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    krazypolk wrote: »
    I've got about 100 cassettes that need a new home. Do any of you tape heads want them?

Curious to what you have, PM sent.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    gmcman wrote: »
    krazypolk wrote: »
    I've got about 100 cassettes that need a new home. Do any of you tape heads want them?

Curious to what you have, PM sent.

Sorry, sniped you. He generously offered to send them to me. I will figure out some kind of karma to reciprocate with.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2020
    Cassettes are very fungible.
    Just sayin'. :)

1jd0cu8nqmpn.png

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I have to say, cassettes do play pretty well if you have a good player. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I have a few (IMO) nice cassette decks if anyone needs one. I'll post pics later, but makes/models are Denon DRM-740, and JVC KD-V6. They are tested and working. Also a Nakamichi (or two) in storage, but not sure about functionality yet. They are all from my dad's collection. I only brought home these nicer ones.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Pic, as mentioned. Both of these are 3-head, and have dual-capstan motors.
    ve613mcddypf.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Those Denons are very nice decks.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I have two JVC KD-V6 decks, Very fine sounding for their orig. price point. KD-V6 are three head, but are single capstan. I picked mine up about ten years ago used for around $20.00 each. I think they fetch a little more now.
  • mhardy6647
    JVC made some mighty nice (cassette) decks, as well.

Early on, they used their own NR, as they either couldn't or (more likely) didn't want to license Dolby. JVC's was ANRS, followed by (of course) Super ANRS. :)

• jdjohn
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    I have two JVC KD-V6 decks, Very fine sounding for their orig. price point. KD-V6 are three head, but are single capstan. I picked mine up about ten years ago used for around $20.00 each. I think they fetch a little more now.
    My bad. It says '2-motor', which I mistook for also meaning dual-capstan. My research indicates they were at (or near) the top of JVC's cassette decks. Some folks have even said they like them better than some Naks.
  • jdjohn
    Ok, so what is the terminology for the missing part (and spring) in this pic?
    c5dbwhpmu009.jpg
    Who knows what happened to the original piece, but I'm dead in the water without it.
    FYI, this is a Marantz SD-4020 cassette deck.

Thanks in advance!

• aprazer402
    The service manual just refers to it as the "Table Assembly, Takeup" Ref. 110N. Part No. 4367004400.
  • mhardy6647
    I believe that's the right doohickey. Not sure if they're available separately or only as pairs. ;)

ahem. sorry.

Yeah, no idea -- if one were bored enough, one could peruse SMs for cassette decks at, e.g., www.hifiengine.com , look at exploded drawings and part numbers, and see if there's a widely-used term for those... umm... doohickeys.

• jdjohn
    Thanks all. I found someone parting-out a similar Marantz model, so will be able to get the spring, hub, and cap. I had already downloaded the SM from hifiengine, but wondered if these pieces might be generic enough to harvest from any ol' cassette deck. But, apparently there are different kinds. These appear to be press/snap-on, whereas others have tiny little e-clips which can be a pain to deal with.

This deck is a two-speed job, with both 4.75 and 9.5 cm/sec.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2021
    The two-speed decks are certainly interesting.
    I've never heard one -- even over all of these decades.
    Good luck rehabbing that rascal; should be an interesting exercise!

Oh, and while I am wasting forum bandwidth (but building bigger, stronger finger muscles!), I feel the urge to note that good ol' Nakamichi bucked the "massmarket" two-speed trend (i.e., decks that could record/play cassettes at 1x and 2x normal speed; 1-7/8 and 3-3/4 ips) by offering some two speed decks at 1-7/8 and 15/16 ips!?! :)

kvpwmcoqbcbk.png
    source: http://zokiaudio.com/nakamichi-680zx-the-golden-age/?lang=en
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2021
  • jdjohn
    Yeah, three belts replaced, and the main flat one had disintegrated into that nasty tar residue on the motor pulley and fly-wheel...yuck. The speed selector switch was seized due to old dried-up grease, but I finally got it cleaned and loosened. And the damping on the cassette door/tray was way too stiff from the old grease.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2021
    My hat is off to you (well, metaphorically)!

I hate working on cassette decks.
    There is always at least one little spring or clip that springs off and acquires sufficient velocity to pass through a transdimensional portal* whenever I work on a cassette deck's transport.

I am not sure I've ever successfully reanimated one that flat out didn't run. :(

EDIT: By all means, post some photos of that deck when you're finished. Heck, post a YT of it playin', too, if and when you're so inclined!

• aprazer402
    edited January 2021
    The pages I uploaded were from Hi-Fi Engine's service manual and brochure,
    The BIC T-2 and T-3 cassette decks (1978) also operated at two speeds; 1 7/8 & 3 1/4 ips. I always admired their looks, never actually listened to one.

Edit: The BIC T-1 (1978) and T-4M (1979) were also two speed decks.
    Post edited by aprazer402 on
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2021
    The BIC T-2 and T-3 cassette decks (1978) also operated at two speeds; 1 7/8 & 3 1/4 ips. I always admired their looks, never actually listened to one.

yup.
    BIC was the "big name" in two-speed (normal/high) decks, but -- as you know :) -- Marantz "did" some, too. BIC marketed a two-speed deck for cars, too (FWIW).

11zz62axnw92.png
    https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Audio-IDX/IDX/80s/Audio-1980-02-OCR-Page-0070.pdf

I just thought it was interesting that Nakamichi's response was basically "well... our decks are so good at 1-7/8 ips, we can make a low speed deck that's still hifi". :#

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

yup.
    BIC was the "big name" in two-speed (normal/high) decks, but -- as you know :) -- Marantz "did" some, too. BIC marketed a two-speed deck for cars, too (FWIW).

11zz62axnw92.png
    https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/Archive-Audio-IDX/IDX/80s/Audio-1980-02-OCR-Page-0070.pdf

I just thought it was interesting that Nakamichi's response was basically "well... our decks are so good at 1-7/8 ips, we can make a low speed deck that's still hifi". :#

Ah.... the elusive TKD Tape
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

yup.

11zz62axnw92.png

Ah.... the elusive TKD Tape

TKO must've been on backorder.
    B)