PS3 Price Drop Confirmed

Options

Comments

• lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited July 2007
    Options
    You could still try adding the three items to your cart and the discount might pop up on your final order page. I wasn't in time to get Resident Evil while it was still in stock, but I got the deal. Anyway, I've got 9 blu-rays coming in the first week of august: Chicken Little (meh), Underwold 2, Resident Evil 2, Transporter 2, Italian Job (meh), Phantom of the Opera, 300, The Host, and the Fifth Element (new version).

As for games... I think I am going to wait on reviews for LAIR and Heavenly Sword to pick between the two, as they both look awesome at this point.

In regards to a steering wheel, There is no way they are not going to release a ridiculous new force freedback wheel along with Gran Turismo 5. Every Gran Turismo since 3 has had a fancy wheel come out in the same week.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Well, that's it. The ps3 is now sold out at amazon. They'll be getting in a new shipment this weekend.

As for controllers, this new ps3 mouse/joystick controller may bring PC control to ps3 FPS games:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799262p1.html
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I hope they offer the PS3 + remote + 6/7 free movies at Amazon again soon. Sounds like a great deal. Add one game (tiger woods golf) for $50 or so, and that's a lot of fun for a $550 investment. Free shipping and no tax to boot. If they only took paypal it would be nearly perfect.

Be sure to post when you guys see that deal offered again, please!
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited July 2007
    Options
    cheddar wrote: »
    Well, that's it. The ps3 is now sold out at amazon. They'll be getting in a new shipment this weekend.

As for controllers, this new ps3 mouse/joystick controller may bring PC control to ps3 FPS games:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799262p1.html

Nice! Now the PS3 gamers will catch up on PC gamers in FPS games. I was expecting a lot heavier price tag on it. If I get PS3 this is also going for my shopping list.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2007
    Options
    That's my biggest problem with FPS on consoles, no mouse. I'm completely uncoordinated with the controller for that genre.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    That's my biggest problem with FPS on consoles, no mouse. I'm completely uncoordinated with the controller for that genre.

I've only played console FPS's a few times and I hate it. Some play it pretty good after a while but everyone would be better off with mouse and keyboard.
  • duksbak
    duksbak Posts: 134
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I wish I was good at FPS. I downloaded the demo of Resistance: Fall of Man and I can't get past the first part of it.

Its embarrassing really... :o
    Television: Mitsubishi WD-57732
    Front R/L: Polkaudio RTiA7
    Center: Polkaudio CSiA4
    Rear R/L: Polkaudio FXiA4
    Subwoofer: Polkaudio DSW600
    A/V Reciever: Denon 2808
    DVD/SACD: Sony Playstation 3
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Options
    duksbak wrote: »
    I wish I was good at FPS. I downloaded the demo of Resistance: Fall of Man and I can't get past the first part of it.
    Its embarrassing really... :o
    I'm right their with ya. I look like an idiot. Not to mention a BlairWitch headache to follow. The thing that really trips me out about FPS's is, their is absolutely no peripheral vision, tunnel vision gaming just doesn't do it for me.
    But man, PS3 has some amazing FPS on the way. Enough to make you go, Gears of War what!
  • lanion
    edited July 2007
    Options
    scottvamp wrote: »
    I'm right their with ya. I look like an idiot. Not to mention a BlairWitch headache to follow. The thing that really trips me out about FPS's is, their is absolutely no peripheral vision, tunnel vision gaming just doesn't do it for me.
    But man, PS3 has some amazing FPS on the way. Enough to make you go, Gears of War what!

Well, thats why mouse and keyboard is better. You get good at using the mouse like your eyes. With enough practice you can do perfect 90 degree or 180 degree turns on reflex. Console controls make looking around quite slow.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Yep, can't wait to get my hands on a fragFX. It was just released less than a month ago. Still sold out on amazon. :(

As for resistance and the demo level, hang back near cover and engage the bad guys at the maximum distance of your machine gun. That's what the zoom scope is for. Charging in is suicide as there are just too many chimera around and once they get shooting angles on you, you're dead. As for the rocket tank boss, I'll just say that a frontal attack is not the smartest move...
  • lanion
    edited July 2007
    Options
    before you give up your $60 on one, I hear that UT2007 for the PS3 will support USB Mouse and Keyboard via the PS3 USB ports.... That is the FPS I plan to play the most in the coming year, so I think I can stick without the fragFX for a while. Maybe this will start a trend.

HT:
  • cheddar
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Yeah, it would be great if all new ps3 FPS games would support vanilla mouse and keyboard control. I do wonder if the frag button on the fragFX really gives more control over sniper rifles, though...
  • lanion
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Does it just reduce sensitivity? If so, I guess... but I don't like changing sensitivities mid game.

HT:
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2007
    Options
    WAKE UP POLKBrOTHERS...
    have you heard of free PS3s and XBOX360? IT's REAL according to this
    http://www.joshclark.com/blog/?p=190...

Been skeptical about this but it seems good........also checked other sites that offer free gift after completing promotions......what do you guys think...
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • Sami
    edited July 2007
    Options
    To those who don't get tax charged by Target, they have 10% off with TGTAFLAE code. For me it goes back to regular Amazon price with shipping and tax. If the advertized SizAxis was indeed included (it isn't) I would buy from them.
  • lanion
    edited July 2007
    Options
    doggie750 wrote: »
    WAKE UP POLKBrOTHERS...
    have you heard of free PS3s and XBOX360? IT's REAL according to this
    http://www.joshclark.com/blog/?p=190...

Been skeptical about this but it seems good........also checked other sites that offer free gift after completing promotions......what do you guys think...

Nothing is free. The offers are going to be a pain, or you are going to have to make 50 of your friends do them too, or you are going to have to wait 6 months if it ever comes, and if they loose your order slip, well, wait another 6 months. Remember what you put in has to be worth >$600 to them, so they are probably counting on lots of people giving up with their bureaucracy by making it a big hassle.

The question: which is cheaper for you.... Making $500 at your own job, or making $500 doing what they are asking and then waiting many months? To me the first is more appealing, because I like my job and despise bureaucracy.

HT:
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2007
    Options
    lanion wrote: »
    Nothing is free. The offers are going to be a pain, or you are going to have to make 50 of your friends do them too, or you are going to have to wait 6 months if it ever comes, and if they loose your order slip, well, wait another 6 months. Remember what you put in has to be worth >$600 to them, so they are probably counting on lots of people giving up with their bureaucracy by making it a big hassle.

The question: which is cheaper for you.... Making $500 at your own job, or making $500 doing what they are asking and then waiting many months? To me the first is more appealing, because I like my job and despise bureaucracy.

Fortunately in my job, it's feasible..........to do it online and get it for free....couldn't a second job as well coz I am babysitting whenever my wife is off to work.
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    » PS3 Out Sells 360 In North America Article posted by XanTium | 19-7-2007 12:35 | Permalink | Digg News » Comment article

From n4g.com:
    Console Weekly Total Week Ending 7/14:

Wii 76,394
    PS2 43,406
    PS3 41,005
    X360 35,084

It also took awhile for widescreen dvd's to out sell fullscreen.;)
    PS2 still rules all.
    Love my Wii, but the only thing we play is WiiSports and their is no bowling games or WiiSports 2 in the works. That stinks!
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited July 2007
    Options
    » PS3 Out Sells 360 In North America Article posted by XanTium | 19-7-2007 12:35 | Permalink | Digg News » Comment article

From n4g.com:

It also took awhile for widescreen dvd's to out sell fullscreen.;)
    PS2 still rules all.
    Love my Wii, but the only thing we play is WiiSports and their is no bowling games or WiiSports 2 in the works. That stinks!

considering there was a $100 price-drop and the 360 admitting design flaws, I thought the sales difference would be higher
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    Options
    krabby5 wrote: »
    considering there was a $100 price-drop and the 360 admitting design flaws, I thought the sales difference would be higher

Patience.

I just hooked up PS3 up last night. I love the fact that it can connect to the Windows Media server. I don't even have to copy my stuff to the PS3!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Options
    phuz wrote: »
    Patience.

I just hooked up PS3 up last night. I love the fact that it can connect to the Windows Media server. I don't even have to copy my stuff to the PS3!

Welcome to the revolution! the PS3 is the first device I have had that can truly be the center of my digital HT. I absolutely love it, I don’t even care that it plays games any more. I stream 25 1 hour home videos to it (had to transfer them to MPEG was the only bad thing from Avi). I browse my 40 gigs worth of home pictures, and many music videos. You CANNOT stream large amounts or MP#'s (I have 90 gigs). What you do it set the Media server to share only the 4 star rated music and then go in and mark all the music you want to stream to it as 4 stars. Make sure you hit the option for MP11 to save those stars on the file so that when you end up having to move the MP3's, you don’t have to re-rate them all again. If you try to share all 90 gigs, the P3 cant take it and will just produce errors. I've been re-ripping all of my CD's to .wav format (from 192K MP3) just to make sure I have a lot better source. It makes such a bit difference, over 128kb mp3.

Friggen love it.

I’m almost up to 100 units on folding at home, I suggest you all do it when not using the PS3. Grid networking is truly the future of computing.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • phuz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Silverti wrote: »
    Welcome to the revolution! the PS3 is the first device I have had that can truly be the center of my digital HT. I absolutely love it, I don’t even care that it plays games any more. I stream 25 1 hour home videos to it (had to transfer them to MPEG was the only bad thing from Avi). I browse my 40 gigs worth of home pictures, and many music videos. You CANNOT stream large amounts or MP#'s (I have 90 gigs). What you do it set the Media server to share only the 4 star rated music and then go in and mark all the music you want to stream to it as 4 stars. Make sure you hit the option for MP11 to save those stars on the file so that when you end up having to move the MP3's, you don’t have to re-rate them all again. If you try to share all 90 gigs, the P3 cant take it and will just produce errors. I've been re-ripping all of my CD's to .wav format (from 192K MP3) just to make sure I have a lot better source. It makes such a bit difference, over 128kb mp3.

Friggen love it.

I’m almost up to 100 units on folding at home, I suggest you all do it when not using the PS3. Grid networking is truly the future of computing.

HAH. Kinda like Seti@home? :P

I shared 50gigs of music to my PS3 yesterday using the WMP11 Media Server on Vista Ultimate, and it worked fine. It was just a pain in the butt to scroll through all of it on the PS3!
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Can some explain Windows Media Server to me? I went to the windows web site and it appeared to be an expensive application for business. Is it a monthly pay service? Can i just download the program and go........:confused:
  • phuz
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Can some explain Windows Media Server to me? I went to the windows web site and it appeared to be an expensive application for business. Is it a monthly pay service? Can i just download the program and go........:confused:

Windows Media Player 11 has the ability to act as a media server. It's free, and very easy to set up.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    phuz wrote: »
    Windows Media Player 11 has the ability to act as a media server. It's free, and very easy to set up.
    Thanks, i will check it out. I should already have it.....
  • lanion
    edited July 2007
    Options
    It is so hard to compare PS3 and XBOX sales following that price drop. I also would have expected the PS3 to at least outsell the PS2.... However, I still think people buying PS3s are super early adopters as Resistance is still the only game the nears kill-app status. Once LAIR, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, and MGS4 come out things should be different.

Anyway, my PS3 should arrive any day now, and right now it is going to be on exclusive Blu-ray and Playstation network duty. So, I'm throwing some money at supporting the blu-ray format!

HT:
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Congrats man, lets not forget Killzone 2, Call of Duty 4, Resident Evil 5 and Little Big World. I am up 5 Blu-Rays and loving it. Nothing will beat PS2 over all. Got GH 80's Encore coming out next week. I just bought a new Guitar (flying V) and skin. It's freaking sweet.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Mmmm, I had the PS3 60GB in my hands at Best Buy today when I went to pick up 300. I do want it for games, but I thought better of it and decided just to stick it out until around Christmas and hopefully some games will be coming out I am interested in playing. I also like the idea of having both HD formats. Since it's for games, just like the 360, it doesn't matter to me if either format **** the bed.

Putting the money towards my new Les Paul for now, but I'll be picking one up now with the price drop and advent of actually getting some games.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
    Oh lord, kumbaya

Someones singing lord, kumbaya
    Oh lord, kumbayah

group tug...i mean hug...:p

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hey, I always said I planned on getting one after about a year or so. I also said I didn't know how many people would shell out $600 for one (namely people in the 16-25 age bracket). Still stand by that or the price wouldn't have been dropped.

That's been the extent of my 'bashing' on the product. Sony? Don't really give a **** about them, which is as much as Microsoft. I didn't need to make snide remarks to state those points either. If only others would learn....:(